I Support Capital Punishment

Jabez

Friend of Jesus
Agape4Robin said:
Answer me this....what punishment is fitting for those who take a life in murder or acts of violence such as rape or child molestation?
If the victims are to recieve justice? What form should it take?

My first thoughts are (iam just being honest) are that i would want to kill them. Thats my way,but is that Gods way too? How can a victim get satisfied with the death of another?The fitting punishment would be prison for life.

Agape4Robin

Jabez said:
My first thoughts are (iam just being honest) are that i would want to kill them. Thats my way,but is that Gods way too? How can a victim get satisfied with the death of another?The fitting punishment would be prison for life.
In what way is that fitting?

Jabez

Friend of Jesus
Agape4Robin said:
In what way is that fitting?

Maybe its not our part to make it fitting.Dont you think unless that person truely repented Gods punishment will be much more harsh?

Agape4Robin

Jabez said:
Eye for an eye, but there is a better way now we call him JESUS
And Jesus says that God put our governments in authority over us and we are to obey them as we do God.
Not everyone follows Jesus.
There was a pastor named Paul Hill who murdered an abortion doctor and a bodyguard, he was given the death penalty and executed. Even in the end, he was not sorry for what he had done. Shouldn't he have known better than to commit murder?

Agape4Robin

Jabez said:
Maybe its not our part to make it fitting.Dont you think unless that person truely repented Gods punishment will be much more harsh?
But what about the victims?
What about the life of fear that they must live with?
In light of over-crowding, should one of the murderers, rapists or child molesters get out, what about protecting the society at large?
Can't you agree that these should not be a part of society again?

Freak

the Sibbie said:
What I meant is that doesn't give specifics on what the punishment should be. Without considering God's justice system, goverments are free to use any punishment they wish, whether it is just or not.
The New Covenant calls all of mankind to be just. So, the governments of the world need to be just in doling out punishment.

Perhaps the soldiers as individuals didn't carry the sword for executing, but I'm pretty sure the Roman goverment as a whole did have the death penalty. Yet, they didn't necessarily use it in a just manner in every case.
As I mentioned before, the term “sword” refers to police powers or to those who enforce taxation; it could be a designation for the civil guards or a symbol of judicial authority.The authorization of the death penalty today rests upon a biblical word whose meaning is in dispute among believers world-wide. The first thing to notice, Sibbie, here is that the death penalty is not explicitly mentioned in the 13th chapter.

So they didn't necessarily execute people with swords (in certain cases they may have, though), but they used crucifixion (in which the sword was also used to verify death.)
Then why didn't Jesus Christ call for the the Samaritan Woman, in John 4, whom was guilty of adultery, to face the authorities? Jesus restored her and did not call for her to report to the governing authorities to be put to death. Do you know why?

Yes and the punishment for stealing is clearly laid out in Exodus.
Since this is included in the laws of the Old Covenant, do you think this type of punishment is obsolete for our dispensation today?
It appears you haven't read carefully any of my posts. I stated quite clearly that the New Covenant clearly calls the moral sins of the Old, sins in the New. For example: you brought up stealing. Stealing is considered a sin in the New Covenant.

He who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with his own hands, that he may have something to share with those in need.

Anger, for example, was considered a sin in the Old and the New.

“In your anger do not sin”: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold.

The punishment is dfferent however under the New Covenant. For example-we do not ask for those who break the sabbath to submit to a death penalty.

Are you talking about the Samaritan woman who was a fornicator or the adulteress in John 8?
No, re-read my first post. :dizzy:

So why do you advocate that murderers be thrown in prison when Paul wasn't imprisioned?
I advocate a biblical approach--"He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer." I believe punishment should be in order for those whom are "wrongdoers."

Are you asking:
  • Were they unjust for not executing those criminals?
  • Were they unjust for not turning the criminals over to the goverment?
  • Were they unjust for not petitioning to the government to make a law declaring the death penalty for capital crimes?
You believe the Old Covenant's laws, in regards, to the death penalty, is valid for today. Then why didn't the apostle Paul, tell the "sexually immoral," "idolaters," "adulterers," "male prostitutes," and "homosexual offenders"--all of which were capital offences in the Old Testament, to petition the government to make a law declaring the death penalty for capital crimes or least be righteous and to be willing to submit to the death penalty. Does fidelity to the truth mean anything to you?

Jabez

Friend of Jesus
Agape4Robin said:
And Jesus says that God put our governments in authority over us and we are to obey them as we do God.
Not everyone follows Jesus.
There was a pastor named Paul Hill who murdered an abortion doctor and a bodyguard, he was given the death penalty and executed. Even in the end, he was not sorry for what he had done. Shouldn't he have known better than to commit murder?

I understand that. Paul Hill was wrong.He should have known better, but the Devil Used his anger to kill.

Jabez

Friend of Jesus
Agape4Robin said:
But what about the victims?
What about the life of fear that they must live with?
In light of over-crowding, should one of the murderers, rapists or child molesters get out, what about protecting the society at large?
Can't you agree that these should not be a part of society again?

As Christians we should live without fear.That being said, it hardly ever works that way.
I propose we buy Canda and send them there....lol just kidding...Seriously maybe send them to a island prison.
They should never be let loose again.1 strike your gone for good.
I agree with you on most everything, the thing holding me back is this,Do i agree with you in the flesh or the spirit?

Agape4Robin

So, life in prison, where there is cable tv :geek: , 3 meals a day :chew: , a gym :sheep: , a library :poly: and telephone privleges :Slippery: is "justice" and adequate punishment for such heinous crimes as murder, rape and child molestation?
Well then........ :think:

Why don't we just put them all up at the YMCA? :sozo2:

Freak

Agape4Robin said:
is "justice" and adequate punishment for such heinous crimes as murder, rape and child molestation?
Nope. The whole current justice system needs to overhauled!!

Why don't we just put them all up at the YMCA?:
Let's make them work!!!!

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Agape4Robin said:
So, life in prison, where there is cable tv :geek: , 3 meals a day :chew: , a gym :sheep: , a library :poly: and telephone privleges :Slippery: is "justice" and adequate punishment for such heinous crimes as murder, rape and child molestation?
Well then........ :think:

Why don't we just put them all up at the YMCA? :sozo2:

:chuckle:

I feel your pain!

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Jabez said:
My first thoughts are (iam just being honest) are that i would want to kill them. Thats my way,but is that Gods way too? How can a victim get satisfied with the death of another?

I certainly would get satisfaction if the perpetrator of a crime against my family was immediately executed. I would get more satisfaction if I was the executioner.

The fitting punishment would be prison for life.

Is that what God says? :think:

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Jabez said:

That's fine for when God gets ahold of him, but until then our justice system [and legislators] determines the punishment of criminals.