ECT How is Paul's message different?

Danoh

Do you think God cares about your false rep power?

The man is a proven "grace" fraud - what can one expect of such a fraud but his focus on externals like numbers?

Note how quiet he and various of his "truth smacking" pals have been towards Catholic Crusader's recent outbreak of repeated RCC rants - because CC is one of their fellow rabid blind Trump supporters.

I suggest you ignore him far more often than you bother responding to his hypocrisy.

Rom. 5:6-8.

turbosixx

That has very little to do with our discussion but I just wanted to point it out because "bringing the law to a new level" is heresy. There is only one law and God got it right the first time and it doesn't need amending or improvement. It was the Jew's understanding of the Law that Jesus was amending, not the Law itself.

If I understand you correctly, this could very well be the root of our disagreement.

So to be sure, could you please explain what law Jews and Christians are under.

turbosixx

Thanks for your comments

Because he was selfish.
Yes because he knew it was a warning from God and not a prophecy of foretelling. He didn't want Nineveh spared. If it was prophecy of foretelling he would have been happy.
Jonah 4:1 But it displeased Jonah exceedingly, and he was angry. 2 And he prayed to the Lord and said, “O Lord, is not this what I said when I was yet in my country? That is why I made haste to flee to Tarshish; for I knew that you are a gracious God and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love, and relenting from disaster.

Turbo, Which is more important to God, that people love Him? or that prophecy be fulfilled?
I suggest this question is a false dilemma. They are both important to him. If his prophecies of the future do not come true, how can we trust anything he says?

You're missing key scripture here. Go read Jeremiah 18, and read what God says about building up and tearing down nations.
I understand Jeremiah 18, I just don't agree with MAD's application of it. I believe they overlook a detail.

4 And the vessel he was making of clay was spoiled in the potter's hand, and he reworked it into another vessel, as it seemed good to the potter to do.

Through Jesus's sacrifice he created a new body and new man out of Jew and Gentile, another new vessel.

Eph. 2:14 For he himself is our peace, who has made us both one and has broken down in his flesh the dividing wall of hostility 15 by abolishing the law of commandments expressed in ordinances, that he might create in himself one new man in place of the two, so making peace, 16 and might reconcile us both to God in one body through the cross, thereby killing the hostility.

turbosixx

The same one that Peter got his forgiven under.
Could you please be a little more detailed. Under what covenant/law did those on Pentecost receive the forgiveness of sins?

Pentecost was a JEWISH Feast day. It comes on the fiftieth day after Passover and was also called the Feast of Weeks (Leviticus 23:15-22). This is proof that Israel had not yet been cut off and that Israel's prophesied program was still fully intact and on track as of Acts 2 and 3. Clete

The gospel was to the Jew FIRST. Could you please point out in scripture where the Jews heard the gospel first. Why is the gospel to the Jew first?

God's Truth

The man is a proven "grace" fraud - what can one expect of such a fraud but his focus on externals like numbers?

Note how quiet he and various of his "truth smacking" pals have been towards Catholic Crusader's recent outbreak of repeated RCC rants - because CC is one of their fellow rabid blind Trump supporters.

I suggest you ignore him far more often than you bother responding to his hypocrisy.

You have tried to help them in their hypocrisy. Too bad they didn't listen.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
]I suggest this question is a false dilemma. They are both important to him. If his prophecies of the future do not come true, how can we trust anything he says?

It is not, I assure you.

Which is more important to God, that His prophecy comes true, or that people repent and/or trust Him?

In other words, does God want His prophecies to come true, especially concerning the wicked?

glorydaz

You always assume the worst, don't you? I haven't said much to CC, because Sherman seems to be giving him a chance. But, you, of course, have to stick your nose in and try and stir up dissension, as if GT needs any help doing that. :nono:

turbosixx

Which is more important to God, that His prophecy comes true, or that people repent and/or trust Him?
I think we might see the word prophecy differently. I see prophecy as a foretelling of future events that are not dependent on man and will happen just as God has said.

For example, Daniel's prophecy about God setting up the kingdom in Daniel 2. He said in the time of the fourth kingdom that God would set up a kingdom.
Daniel 2:44 And in the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that shall never be destroyed, nor shall the kingdom be left to another people.
We know that the fourth kingdom was the Roman empire. Jesus did appeared during the time of the Roman empire and said the kingdom was at hand. So the question is did God set up the kingdom during Jesus first visit making Daniels prophecy true?

God's prophecy must come true or it isn't from God.
Deut. 18:22 when a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord, if the word does not come to pass or come true, that is a word that the Lord has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously. You need not be afraid of him.

In other words, does God want His prophecies to come true, especially concerning the wicked?
God does not want anyone to perish. If God gives the wicked a warning while they are still living and able to repent, I don't see that as prophecy but a warning because the outcome could be either/or.

God is all knowing. If God's prophecy doesn't come true, how can we trust anything he tells us?

God's Truth

You always assume the worst, don't you? I haven't said much to CC, because Sherman seems to be giving him a chance. But, you, of course, have to stick your nose in and try and stir up dissension, as if GT needs any help doing that. :nono:

Danoh is right about what he said. He spent much time trying to help you but you refuse.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I think we might see the word prophecy differently. I see prophecy as a foretelling of future events that are not dependent on man and will happen just as God has said.

Prophecy simply means "a prediction."

Prophesy simple means "to say that (a specified thing) will happen in the future."

Trying to redefine the terms to suit your argument doesn't work.

For example, Daniel's prophecy about God setting up the kingdom in Daniel 2. He said in the time of the fourth kingdom that God would set up a kingdom.
Daniel 2:44 And in the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that shall never be destroyed, nor shall the kingdom be left to another people.

We know that the fourth kingdom was the Roman empire. Jesus did appeared during the time of the Roman empire and said the kingdom was at hand. So the question is did God set up the kingdom during Jesus first visit making Daniels prophecy true?

No. Daniel's prophecy failed because Israel as a nation rejected God, and God was no longer able to work with them, and so God moved to working with the rest of the world in Acts 9.

Remember Jeremiah 18?

"And the instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it,if it does evil in My sight so that it does not obey My voice, then I will repent concerning the good with which I said I would benefit it. - Jeremiah 18:9-10 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Jeremiah18:9-10&version=NKJV

This is EXACTLY what happened with Israel in Acts 1-8. God promised them a kingdom, but they did evil in His sight, killing his representatives to them. They even killed His Son. So he repented of the good which He said He would benefit her. And so His plans to make her prosperous were put on hold, until the fullness of the gentiles is reached.

God's prophecy must come true or it isn't from God.

So, either Daniel's words were not from God (because they didn't come true), if what you say is true.

OR

Prophecy can sometimes fail, even if it's from God, which is what the Bible says throughout.

So who should I believe, you, or the Bible? I'm gonna go with what the Bible says every time.

The passage you quote below to support this claim doesn't say "it must come true or it isn't from God." It says "IF it DOESN'T come true, then it's not from God." There's a difference. If what you said is true, then what Jonah said wasn't from God, because it didn't come true.

Deut. 18:22 when a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord, if the word does not come to pass or come true, that is a word that the Lord has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously. You need not be afraid of him.

God does not want anyone to perish. If God gives the wicked a warning while they are still living and able to repent, I don't see that as prophecy but a warning because the outcome could be either/or.

Redefining the word to fit your beliefs doesn't work.

God is all knowing. If God's prophecy

Again, prophecy simply means "a prediction."

Prophesy simple means "to say that (a specified thing) will happen in the future."

God's warning that He gave to Jonah to relay to Nineveh was prophecy. Did you notice that there were no conditions given to Jonah on how they could change God's mind.

Now the word of the Lord came to Jonah the second time, saying,“Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city, and preach to it the message that I tell you.”So Jonah arose and went to Nineveh, according to the word of the Lord. Now Nineveh was an exceedingly great city, a three-day journey in extent.And Jonah began to enter the city on the first day’s walk. Then he cried out and said, “Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown!” - Jonah 3:1-4 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Jonah3:1-4&version=NKJV

Jonah was a prophet.
He prophesied to Nineveh that they would be destroyed. No exceptions.

Nineveh repented, and God decided not to destroy them, because God is a living God, and is not subject to His prophecies. He would much rather not destroy a repentant nation than make sure His prophecy doesn't fail.

doesn't come true, how can we trust anything he tells us?

First of all, your argument, "how can we trust God if His prophecies fail," is a nonstarter.

We can trust God because He is righteous, just, and love, and doubting Him because of a failed prediction shows a lack of faith.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
If I understand you correctly, this could very well be the root of our disagreement.

So to be sure, could you please explain what law Jews and Christians are under.

No.

This is not the root of our disagreement and I will not get this deep into the weeds on a doctrinal dispute.

Suffice it to say that Paul got it right in Galatians 3:21. That's as close to a direct answer as I'm willing to give you.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Could you please be a little more detailed. Under what covenant/law did those on Pentecost receive the forgiveness of sins?
There is no way to be more specific.

The gospel was to the Jew FIRST. Could you please point out in scripture where the Jews heard the gospel first. Why is the gospel to the Jew first?
They heard Paul's gospel first from Paul and Barnabas.

Acts 13:46 Then Paul and Barnabas grew bold and said, “It was necessary that the word of God should be spoken to you first; but since you reject it, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, behold, we turn to the Gentiles.

It was "necessary that the word of God should be spoken to [the Jews] first" because, as Paul explains elsewhere, the oracles of God (i.e. the scriptures) were given to the Jews and the Messiah was a Jew as was Paul himself. The Grace Gospel was born out of the Jewish faith and so, of course, it would be presented to the Jew first. It's only natural and logical.

Resting in Him,
Clete