ECT How is Paul's message different?

popsthebuilder

You mentioned those indoctrinated and how if one isn't a mad then they are wrong due to indoctrination of man.

So I ask again; what about me; who was never indoctrinated by man, and who was atheist up until age 30 in 2011.

Your presuposition doesn't apply to me because I do not fit your casting mold.

Hence my questions.

Thanks in advance.
It was only delayed BECAUSE you're on my ignore list and so I don't get notifications about any responses from you. I had to go through all of your latest posts to find it.

You say its a sincere question. Okay fine, I can believe it was sincere but it shows an inability on your part to follow rather simple conversations and don't have sufficient social intelligence to realize that making lateral jumps in thought require you to explain whatever tenuous connection remains to the original conversation. I, frankly, still do not understand what you're asking me or what it has to do with what I said. "...the one who didn't craft a belief system"? Who is that exactly and what does he have to do with biblical hermeneutics or Mid-Acts Dispensationalism?

Clete

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Interplanner

What end times!?!?

Do you not believe that the end is soon?

Do you not believe that the earth and the heavens will be rolled up like a scroll in the hands of GOD?

I showed what end times with scripture friend.

Study the previous book if you cannot make the link to the abomination of desolation.

We have two seemingly contrary views. This in itself supports my claim or double entendres.

peace

There were many possible things at that time. btw, the first question in interpreting a document is what did it mean THEN?--when it is 2000 years old and grounded in history.

1, the end of the 490 years
2, the end of the temple
3, the end of Israel as they knew it
4, the end of the whole world because the New Heavens--New Earth was mentioned in Isaiah, and was therefore expected

Yes, I believe in the final day of judgement and the coming NHNE, but AT THAT POINT IN TIME they thought that the end of the world was right after the destruction of Jerusalem in 70. Paul especially held that the end of all things was that generation.

Actual, historic Christian doctrine therefore has a contingency in it: that there was an allowance made that the end of the world might be delayed from 70, and as we can see, it was.

Mt 24A (up to v29) is about 1st century Judea and the radical Judaist revolt--the zealots. They ruined the country, but Messiah's mission still went to the world.

Interplanner

Made up. They asked the LORD three questions.

Indeed they did. About their times. They were not thinking about X000 in the future. They knew Dan 9. The end of Dan 9 was about to happen. To the temple? The whole country? Yes. But what else? The whole world? Was the NHNE upon them?

You seriously need to learn how to talk and explain yourself. STop watching TV or treating it like it increases your mental capacity. It is a vacuum, a black hole.

SaulToPaul 2

Indeed they did. About their times. They were not thinking about X000 in the future. They knew Dan 9. The end of Dan 9 was about to happen. To the temple? The whole country? Yes. But what else? The whole world? Was the NHNE upon them?

You seriously need to learn how to talk and explain yourself. STop watching TV or treating it like it increases your mental capacity. It is a vacuum, a black hole.

Made up...ad hominem.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
You mentioned those indoctrinated and how if one isn't a mad then they are wrong due to indoctrination of man.
No, I didn't.

So I ask again; what about me; who was never indoctrinated by man, and who was atheist up until age 30 in 2011.
What about you?

Your presuposition doesn't apply to me because I do not fit your casting mold.
What presupposition?

Hence my questions.

Thanks in advance.

You're a lunatic.

Interplanner

Made up...ad hominem.

That's your old stupid lazy self, STP. Yet you show that you can study better than that. The normal meaning of the questions, since the desolation had been mentioned 3x in the previous segments, and the 490 years was ending is that it was directly about what was happening.

You are not that great of a communicator or interpreter, but you save your worst for these.

Interplanner

God is not held captive by the things He does. God cut off Israel, and Paul is giving a warning to the Gentiles: if God can cut off His own people, then it wouldn't be too far fetched to think that He could cut off the Gentiles as well, and move back to Israel.

Yes it would because he does all things through Christ now; Rom 11:30. Notice how this contains the irrevocable gifts and calling; they are in Christ.

popsthebuilder

You are being disingenuous

"If you insist on crafting a rationally coherent doctrinal system where the plain reading of the text is PRIMARY whenever possible, you will be an Acts 9 Dispensationalist. The fact that you reject Mid-Acts Dispensationalism is proof - and I do mean proof - that you do otherwise. "

The above words in qoutations are your own if you don't recall or didn't care to read it.
No, I didn't.

What about you?

What presupposition?

You're a lunatic.

Interplanner

"If you insist on crafting a rationally coherent doctrinal system where the plain reading of the text is PRIMARY whenever possible, you will be an Acts 9 Dispensationalist. The fact that you reject Mid-Acts Dispensationalism is proof - and I do mean proof - that you do otherwise. "

The above words in qoutations are your own if you don't recall or didn't care to read it.

The problem, Clete, is that there shouldn't be any crafting. If there is a 'system' it should be embedded in one of the self-organizing passages of the NT (self-organizing about the broadest themes of the Bible): Rom 3-4, Gal 3-4, Heb 8-10, Acts 13, 2 Cor 3-5, Acts 26. This is where D'ism fails. But of course, originally it's founders said he was trying to make sense of a Bible that did not make sense.

Interplanner

That's your old stupid lazy self, STP. Yet you show that you can study better than that. The normal meaning of the questions, since the desolation had been mentioned 3x in the previous segments, and the 490 years was ending is that it was directly about what was happening.

You are not that great of a communicator or interpreter, but you save your worst for these.

I don't give a fart what you think of me. You are just horrible on communication like your idol JohnnyW because you don't make a conversation progress. You don't deal with texts. You harass personas.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

I know what I said and I can read your posts. You have some sort of filter that somehow turns my comment into a statement about atheists who become believers by reading the bible.

It makes no sense.

Also, you seem to think that I said something about others being indoctrinated. I didn't. Whether you're indoctrinated or not, if a firm allegiance to sound reason and the plain reading of the text are not foundational primaries to your hermeneutic, you'll end up with a doctrine that disagrees with Mid-Acts Dispensationalism.

My statement is about people who set about to study the bible in a systematic way where the plain reading of the text is a (not 'the') foundational primary whenever possible.

You seem to be suggesting that an atheist would do this automatically and that they're somehow shielded from having ever heard a thing about what Christianity is and couldn't possibly have been influenced by the quasi-christian society in which we live and that they, by virtue of having been atheists, would somehow definitely be very rational and would favor the plain reading of the text over a more liberal approach. At least that my best guess as to your point.

Not only would that be a false premise but since you're clearly going to be stubbornly resistant to even trying to clarify yourself when someone tells you that they don't understand your question/point, AND because you seem to be so stupid as to not even know how to properly use the quote feature of the forum or are too stubborn to want to do so, I no longer care.

Back to ignore with you.

(It's good to know that most of the people on my ignore list are there for good reason and that I'm not missing anything by not reading their posts.)

Clete

popsthebuilder

It's okay if you don't want your falseties exposed....

You are flattly wrong though.

I am not a mad but use logic and the simple plain trading of the texts to verify or establish particular doctrine.

Wasn't that you that said the abomination of desolation only had to do with the first century.

Such understand.....every one should believe as you do.

Your pride and utter lack of hearing coupled with your inability to consider other views is noted, along with your needless insults.

We will continue this some other time if you don't duck and run next time.

I know what I said and I can read your posts. You have some sort of filter that somehow turns my comment into a statement about atheists who become believers by reading the bible.

It makes no sense.

Also, you seem to think that I said something about others being indoctrinated. I didn't. Whether you're indoctrinated or not, if a firm allegiance to sound reason and the plain reading of the text are not foundational primaries to your hermeneutic, you'll end up with a doctrine that disagrees with Mid-Acts Dispensationalism.

My statement is about people who set about to study the bible in a systematic way where the plain reading of the text is a (not 'the') foundational primary whenever possible.

You seem to be suggesting that an atheist would do this automatically and that they're somehow shielded from having ever heard a thing about what Christianity is and couldn't possibly have been influenced by the quasi-christian society in which we live and that they, by virtue of having been atheists, would somehow definitely be very rational and would favor the plain reading of the text over a more liberal approach. At least that my best guess as to your point.

Not only would that be a false premise but since you're clearly going to be stubbornly resistant to even trying to clarify yourself when someone tells you that they don't understand your question/point, AND because you seem to be so stupid as to not even know how to properly use the quote feature of the forum or are too stubborn to want to do so, I no longer care.

Back to ignore with you.

(It's good to know that most of the people on my ignore list are there for good reason and that I'm not missing anything by not reading their posts.)

Clete

Danoh

It's okay if you don't want your falseties exposed....

You are flattly wrong though.

I am not a mad but use logic and the simple plain trading of the texts to verify or establish particular doctrine.

Wasn't that you that said the abomination of desolation only had to do with the first century.

Such understand.....every one should believe as you do.

Your pride and utter lack of hearing coupled with your inability to consider other views is noted, along with your needless insults.

We will continue this some other time if you don't duck and run next time.

I'd be REALLY surprised if Clete holds "that...the abomination of desolation only had to do with the first century."

As with other schools of thought within Christianity, one will find different understandings of a thing within the members of a same school, but also, a same or very similar understanding of other things by all within a same school.

And within Dispensationalism, the same is the case.

All five strains - Acts 2; Acts 9; Acts 13; Acts 9 / 28; and Acts 28 - hold some understandings in common, and all hold other understandings either different and unique to their strain alone, or similar in one manner or another to that of one or more of the other four.

And NO Dispy I have ever heard of holds "that the abomination of desolation only had to do with the first century."

It is the Reformed school, and various of its strains - like Preterism and the Partial Preterism - that holds "that...the abomination of desolation only had to do with the first century."

Rom. 5:6-8.

popsthebuilder

Please excuse my ignorance on the matter. Not being of any particular "church" and not even really believing in GOD until 2011 has left me in a position of ignorance when it comes to the different scisms or sects or "Christianity". Thank you for trying to explain some of the details to me.

peace
I'd be REALLY surprised if Clete holds "that...the abomination of desolation only had to do with the first century."

As with other schools of thought within Christianity, one will find different understandings of a thing within the members of a same school, but also, a same or very similar understanding of other things by all within a same school.

All five strains - Acts 2; Acts 9; Acts 13; Acts 9 / 28; and Acts 28 - hold some understandings in common, and all hold other understandings either different and unique to their strain alone, or similar in one manner or another to that of one or more of the other four.

And NO Dispy I have ever heard of holds "that the abomination of desolation only had to do with the first century."

It is the Reformed school, and various of its strains - like Preterism and the Partial Preterism - that holds "that...the abomination of desolation only had to do with the first century."

john w

Hall of Fame
I don't give a fart what you think of me. You are just horrible on communication like your idol JohnnyW because you don't make a conversation progress. You don't deal with texts. You harass personas.

The sodomite still will not relent, with his man crush on me. His heart is now breaking, in the penalty box, as he is crying, because he hates that I dig chicks.

I don't give a fart what you think of me.

vs.

...The Greek....real grammar scholar...

Please teach us some more "the English," eloquent one. Please?

Clown. poser.

You don't deal with texts

Catch that deception? The clown deletes 95% of "the texts," in the OT, and does not even quote any text, in his slop of "posts"/spam, per his daddy devil's gag order, and since he hates the words of the book,replaces them with his made up "terms," as the book is not his final authority, being the Judges 21:25 KJV humanist, that he is.

Danoh

Please excuse my ignorance on the matter. Not being of any particular "church" and not even really believing in GOD until 2011 has left me in a position of ignorance when it comes to the different scisms or sects or "Christianity". Thank you for trying to explain some of the details to me.

peace

You and I share something in common, then.

In a way...

I myself began to come to some of the views I now hold about a year and a half before I'd ever heard what they were called (Acts 9 Dispensationalism), or that anyone else held to them.

Just through time in Scripture.

About a year and a half after I began understanding these things, I ran across the book "Things That Differ" by C.R. Stam.

Was really surprised how much that author and I were obviously alike in our our study approach.

Not that he went into his approach; for he did not.

Rather, his results (that book) made it obvious I was on the right track in how I was approaching my study of things.

If you'll google the words "pdf stam things that differ" you'll find links to a pdf copy of it.

It is well worth the read.

A warning, though - get ready for a whole lot of Bible passages - in page after page, after page.

As it should be, 2 Tim. 4:1-5.

Anyway, if anything, you'll at least be a bit more familiar with where Clete is coming from - he too holds an Acts 9 Dispensational understanding of Scripture very similar to the one in that book.

Rom. 14:5; Rom. 5:6-8.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Huh?

What in the world? How could anyone get such a thing from anything I've said on this thread (or any other thread for that matter)?

:rotfl:

Indeed. It's sort of silly that you're having to explain such a thing to him but such is life, I suppose.

Personally, I've found very little difference between any of these with the exception of the Acts 2 version, which invariably (and understandably) mixes a lot more of what pertained to Israel in with the current dispensation. The others, however, are very similar indeed. The biggest difference (that I can think of) being whether or not they perform water baptisms and/or take communion (i.e. the Lord's Supper or whatever you like to call it).

For the record, I not only don't hold to that, I'm not even sure what it would mean for the abomination of desolation to only have to do with the first century. How could that even be possible? (Don't answer that. It's a rhetorical question.)

Clete

Danoh

One thing I've always found fascinating is how that many people - regardless of school of thought (or "not"), Dispys included, often exhibit an inability to get where someone is coming from, whether or not a thing is presented to them through their own paradigm.

Perhaps this is why so many within ALL schools of thought end up at their particular views based on having heard or read them, in contrast to their having arrived at them based on their own time in Scripture.

Not that coming to a thing based simply on one's own time in Scripture is not often fret with its own set of interesting challenges.

But its fascinating how many people repeatedly misread the most basic of intents.

Or rather, project their own into another's as being "what they meant".

turbosixx

Sorry for the delay but I've been away for a while.

Fleshly Israel? Is that a biblical term? If so, I'm pretty sure I missed it.
I use the term to consolidate what Paul is talking about. He is the one who brings up flesh not I. He is clearly making a distinction between children of flesh and children of promise.
Rom. 9:6 But it is not as though the word of God has failed. For not all who are descended from Israel belong to Israel, 7 and not all are children of Abraham because they are his offspring, but “Through Isaac shall your offspring be named.” 8 This means that it is not the children of the flesh who are the children of God, but the children of the promise are counted as offspring.
What do you understand his point to be?

It is interesting to note, however, that the Law is all about the flesh and the "cutting off" of its desires. It has nothing to do with what you're getting at but you'd probable find a study of the phrase "cut off" or "cutting off" to be illuminating.
Sure it can mean that but it also applies to people being “cut off”.
Gen. 17:14 Any uncircumcised male who is not circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin shall be cut off from his people; he has broken my covenant.”
Based on what?
Physical nation of Israel was a shadow like the law? I base it on what makes someone a Jew. What to you makes someone a Jew?

The addition of the phrase "I understand" in that sentence gets right to the crux of what we are discussing. What you understand (or don't) is not relevant to what is actually said. This is a major pillar upon which the Mid-Acts system is based. We do NOT formulate our doctrine and then attempt to make sense of the bible in that context. It is quite the other way around. We let the bible say what it says whenever possible. (The phrase "whenever possible" is required because there are passages that are intentionally and clearly figurative or generalizations or some other form of speech that is not intended to be taken literally.)
The reason I say “I understand” is because we read the same bible yet understand it differently. I usually say “my current understanding” because it can and has changed as I’m sure yours has. I don’t see how anyone can say they understand perfectly what the bible is telling us. You say you “let the bible say what it says whenever possible”, I do the same yet we see still see it differently. We both can’t be right, either one or both of us doesn’t really understand what the bible is telling us. That’s why I’m on here, to see if I’m missing something.

As for Jeremiah 18, it couldn't be any clearer. God Himself states that if He makes a promise (or a threat) and circumstances change, He reserves the right to not do what He said He would do. It's as clear as can be and God has, in fact, done precisely that on more than one occasion.
I agree God has changed his mind but not with prophecy. If a prophecy doesn’t come true, that prophet is false.
Duet. 18:21 And if you say in your heart, ‘How may we know the word that the Lord has not spoken?’— 22 when a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord, if the word does not come to pass or come true, that is a word that the Lord has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously.
Also, when God does change his mind, he lets us know. I believe he is omniscient and knows exactly what will happen so he never really changes his mind. I believe it's just earthly terms that we can understand to describe something we cannot understand.

He promised to drive out all of Israel's enemies (all the different "ites") but He didn't do it.
It was conditional.
Deut. 11:22 For if you will be careful to do all this commandment that I command you to do, loving the Lord your God, walking in all his ways, and holding fast to him, 23 then the Lord will drive out all these nations before you, and you will dispossess nations greater and mightier than you.

He prophesied through Jonah the destruction of Nineveh and then, when they repented, God changed His mind and didn't destroy them as He said. A result, by the way, that Jonah anticipated to the point that he refused to go to Nineveh until God forced him and then he was still angry with God afterward. (How Calvinism survives even a cursory reading of the book of Jonah, I'll never know. But that's a different thread!)
I understand that to be a warning and not a prophecy.

The point here being that Jeremiah 18 means exactly what it seems to mean, your understanding of it not withstanding, and Romans 9 is Paul telling everyone that Israel got the Jeremiah 18 treatment and deserved it.
They did deserve it.

The bible never taught anyone that they would be saved on the basis of their birth as a Jew.
I agree not just by their birth. God set the Jews apart as his people and they were born into it. In the OT there were his people (Jews) and everyone else (Gentiles). That was a shadow of what we have in Christ. Christians and everyone else.

There is not one single syllable of anything Jesus said to anyone that was not what every saved Jew in history believed and practiced.
It looks to me like Jesus took the law to a new level.
Matt. 5: 27 You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ 28 But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
Jews did not practice stoning a man because he lusted in his heart, only if he committed the act.

The only thing new was that Jesus was the Messiah and that He would die on the cross.
Baptism for the repentance of sins was new.

I mean, that is what you're saying, isn't it? Israel wasn't cut off, it was just morphed into the church.
That is exactly what I’m saying. Jesus said before being rejected by the Jews he was going to build his church.

That choice being to preserve a fully harmonious New Testament with a single group of believers all teaching the same thing rather than choosing to take the bible for what it plainly states and configuring a doctrine around that principle. You cannot do both.
I do take it for what if plainly states.

So, you already cannot answer why the Twelve (and God) forced the believers in Jerusalem to sell their possessions and give all the money to the Twelve.
They were not forced. There was/is no command to do so but they willingly did it as they saw Christians in need. Peter makes it clear that Ananias and Sapphira’s land was theirs to do with as they pleased,Acts 5:4.

And you cannot give a cojent theory as to why Paul was given his gospel by revelation and was then told by God to go explain that gospel to the Twelve.
I don’t see it as Paul explained the gospel to the 12. He went to the 12 to be sure he was correct and lest by any means I should run, or had run, in vain. He's not saying the 12 were possibly running in vain but himself.

Why is it more preferable to preserve a fully monolithic New Testament with a single group of believers all teaching the same thing over and above the plain reading of the text?
That is what the plain reading says. Here the Corinthians were converted by Peter, Apollos and Paul yet Paul tells them to be of the same mind and same judgment.
1 Cor. 1:10 I appeal to you, brothers, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgment. 11 For it has been reported to me by Chloe's people that there is quarreling among you, my brothers. 12 What I mean is that each one of you says, “I follow Paul,” or “I follow Apollos,” or “I follow Cephas,” or “I follow Christ.”

I haven’t seen any proof that Peter and Paul converted Christians any differently. They preached Christ and baptized the believers into one body. That one body(church) was created at the cross, Eph. 2:16.

As always, I look forward to your comments.