russia's huuuuge

canada's a distant second

and like canada, most of russia is an undeveloped frozen wasteland

until global warming kicks in :banana:

ajDXMB8_460s.jpg

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
In the context of the United States, it's very specifically defined:

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort.

Conspiring with the Russians, a clear enemy of the United States, to advance their intelligence operations against the United States, to break our laws seems to obviously fit that definition.

The new york times, really? Thats their definition.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
You quoted the new york times, NOT the constitution.

https://www.usconstitution.net/xconst_A3Sec3.html

U.S. Constitution - Article 3 Section 3

Article 3 - The Judicial Branch
Section 3 - Treason

<<Back | Table of Contents | Next>>

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
:doh: russia is not our enemy

My post wasn't about whether or not Russia is our enemy. I was trying to quote the Constitution since Angel had a problem with rex's post.

I'm not sure what term I'd use for Russia. Maybe rival gets the closest.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
how about trading partner?

Russia is currently our 23rd largest goods trading partner with $38.1 billion in total (two way) goods trade during 2013. Goods exports totaled $11.2 billion; Goods imports totaled $27.0 billion. The U.S. goods trade deficit with Russia was $15.8 billion in 2013.

google

rexlunae

The new york times, really? Thats their definition.

You quoted the new york times, NOT the constitution.

https://www.usconstitution.net/xconst_A3Sec3.html

U.S. Constitution - Article 3 Section 3

Article 3 - The Judicial Branch
Section 3 - Treason

<<Back | Table of Contents | Next>>

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

:rotfl:

I just don't even know how to respond to that. And that's a rarity.

rexlunae

:doh: russia is not our enemy

It's an amazing assertion. Set aside their crimes against humanity and democracy, the fact that they invade other countries, annex territory unilaterally, violate the sovereignty of our explicit allies. They are under current US sanctions, some of them imposed in the last few months. As recently as the 2012 elections, both parties almost unanimously considered them one of the greatest threats to our security. Mitt Romney was more hawkish toward them than Obama by far. And suddenly, because the Republican president seems to have a favorable view of him, all of a sudden they like him.

If Russia isn't now an enemy, no country ever has been.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Is there a reason you think Russia is less an enemy than anything on your list?

nork is threatening to send ABM nukes our way and it lobs rockets towards japan

iran threatens israel with its nuke program

and we took care of saddam - they're not our enemy anymore

why on earth would you want to label russia (not the USSR) our enemy?

rexlunae

nork is threatening to send ABM nukes our way and it lobs rockets towards japan

iran threatens israel with its nuke program

and we took care of saddam - they're not our enemy anymore

For comparison, there's this, from long-ago October:
https://www.thelocal.no/20161031/norway-will-suffer-russia-makes-nuclear-threat-over-us-marines

why on earth would you want to label russia (not the USSR) our enemy?

For exactly the same reason I "want" to label other totalitarian regimes: He is a threat to the freedom and security of the entire world and the United States, and there's no country on earth with as widespread an attack on democracy outside their borders. Putin murders people for criticizing him, and for money and power. The only difference between him and Kim Jong Un in terms of brutality is how far he feels he needs to go. He acts with just as little impunity and restraint. Only, his nukes aren't hypothetical.