LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ShadowMaid
Just a purtty one.

<--- How's this one?

ShadowMaid

Originally posted by Elaine
Ouch. Why did you have to do so much?:confused:

Requirement. The teachers made us do them in conditioning and jazz. Oh by the way, the dance workshop was done by Ballet Magnificat. A Christian ballet company! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Last edited:

Zimfan

Originally posted by Yorzhik
Great points to Zimfan. Lightson made an excellent observation that lying is punished (at least in his house), so Zimfan's foundation that a dating person will lie MORE in front of their parents than to him (a varitable stranger) is unfounded.

Punishment for lying in and of itself does not stop people from doing it. They just work to become clever enough at it so as not to becaught. If Lightson's children don't lie I would lay the blame(and accolades) on his most likely excellent moral instruction he bestows upon his children. I think if all children had an example like him or some of the other parents I've met here very few children would lie. I had a presupposition that the person I would be dating/courting would be a veritable stranger and no more likely to tell the truth than anyone else. I I knew their parents and they were like many of the ones here it wouldn't matter whether or not I was alone with the girl. I would assume she was alwasy telling the truth until proved otherwise.

LightSon

Originally posted by Zimfan
Punishment for lying in and of itself does not stop people from doing it. They just work to become clever enough at it so as not to becaught. If Lightson's children don't lie I would lay the blame(and accolades) on his most likely excellent moral instruction he bestows upon his children. I think if all children had an example like him or some of the other parents I've met here very few children would lie.

I agree Zimfan. I do believe in punishment, yet it is just one tool in the box. Of all the tools, punishment has a high risk of being misapplied and abused.

I do believe parents should "train up a child", which is supported by a number of hopefully Biblical methods. Much of this effort is aimed to accomplish 3 things in the life of my child.

3rd: I want them to act right. This the least of motives and in the absense of any higher motivation would be abject failure. Yet learning to model proper behavior is much of what small children need.

2nd: I want them to retain a teachable and submissive spirit. This is the stage where they learn the reasons why they should behave.

1st: Success on the 3rd and 2nd goals is useless if they don't accept my God to be their God. This is not something I can make them do; I can only (prayerfully and humbly) live a good example in front of them. When they come to Christ, the Spirit will help them to want to do right, to get them out from under the childish laws of "forced behavior", and to make personal holiness a practical reality.

These musings are off the top of my head, so might be subject to good critique. We all go through this process. We begin by learning to behave 'cause we are supposed to and because of a strategic set of positive and negative reinforcements. But eventually we learn to act out of a heartfelt love for Him who loved us first.

Last edited:

Christine

Hi Shadowmaid. Elaine will be on and off today while working on her reply to Zimfan. I will be around, although it will probably show Elaine as being on-line

Zimfan

Originally posted by Christine
Hi Shadowmaid. Elaine will be on and off today while working on her reply to Zimfan. I will be around, although it will probably show Elaine as being on-line

She spends time working on her replies to me? :eek: I feel flattered. I kinda just pointlessly ramble in mine until they get to be around a page long, then click on submit reply.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Zimfan
She spends time working on her replies to me? :eek: I feel flattered. I kinda just pointlessly ramble in mine until they get to be around a page long, then click on submit reply.
:chuckle:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ShadowMaid
I'm on. Am I alone?
Nope. At present there are 57 members and 60 guests also wondering if they're alone. :D