GUNS!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
"Match Grade" is an excuse to over charge. That is kind of like saying I need to charge more today to make sure I do my job right. But not tomorow.

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
"Match Grade" is an excuse to over charge. That is kind of like saying I need to charge more today to make sure I do my job right. But not tomorow.

I must admit that at one time many years ago I had that same attitude, but over time experience has proven that wrong.

So when it concerns something that is important to me I'll go the extra effort and expense to find those that have a reputation for excellence.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
At Toyota, the same build quality was put into the Tercel as was the LS400. At GM, the same build quality in a Chevette was not in an STS. That is bad service. If anybody sells "match grade" I don't buy anything in their line. But that is my prefrence as a consumer to hold them to high standards.

My ammo comes from Silver State Armory.

Last edited:

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
My ammo comes from Silver State Armory.

Thanks Nick for the lead on SSA.

Checked out the SSA web sight and downloaded their catalog. Unfortunately there were only 2 rounds that they build that I would be interested in testing (308 & 7.62), I have 4 rifles I like to buy matched ammo for, so maybe I'll email them and ask but I highly doubt that they would be interested in a production run on ammo that is on the low end of interest.

Besides now that I have the equipment I might as well start doing my own.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A guy on one of my gun forums was concerned with the safety of using a piece of pipe to make a gun barrel and offered to sell me a barrel of an old 20 ga break open single shot. I worked out a deal with him to buy the whole gun for $35! I have family in his neck of the woods, so I will arrange to pick it up when I get down that way.
Nice!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

That wasn't actually a promo for them, but I do think they make high quality. Tactical loads are loads that are not to the SAAMI spec, mentioned earlier about the 6.8.

I highly doubt that they would be interested in a production run on ammo that is on the low end of interest.

That certainly seems the norm in the business.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Checked out the SSA web sight and downloaded their catalog. Unfortunately there were only 2 rounds that they build that I would be interested in testing (308 & 7.62), I have 4 rifles I like to buy matched ammo for, so maybe I'll email them and ask but I highly doubt that they would be interested in a production run on ammo that is on the low end of interest.

Besides now that I have the equipment I might as well start doing my own.
Perhaps it would make sense for you to start working up loads for the hard to find ammo first.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That would have been my first choice. But the Rock Chucker was at a ridiculously low price because it was technically used although it had never been taken out of the box, so I started down that road. I think I have enough hollow-point bullets, powder and primers to do about 1000 rounds of 135 grain .40 S&W at a pressure just under +P, and a velocity equal to a .357 Magnum at the same weight. The other powder I got was for use on 9 mm. I need a die set for being able to do 9 mm. I need several things to do .45 ACP.

I wouldn't underestimate the value of starting with a single stage operation. I have never really taken the time to develop percussion loads, but it seems to me like "one step at a time" would be the easiest way to get good at it. Lightbringer can correct me if I'm wrong but I have never talked to a veteran reloader who didn't have a use for a single stage press, from time to time.

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
Perhaps it would make sense for you to start working up loads for the hard to find ammo first.

:thumb: yes sir, that's the primary thought behind purchasing the reloading equipment.

My thoughts on buying some matched ammo is that the bigger more experienced loaders have gone through the trial and error process (ballistics testings) before hand and would save me time and money by using their tested materials, that is if I shoot a few rounds and find them satisfactory to my need.

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
I wouldn't underestimate the value of starting with a single stage operation. I have never really taken the time to develop percussion loads, but it seems to me like "one step at a time" would be the easiest way to get good at it. Lightbringer can correct me if I'm wrong but I have never talked to a veteran reloader who didn't have a use for a single stage press, from time to time.

Not sure I would claim veteran status, beginner would be a better title. :colt45: so hold off on any technical questions (I've always been more of a shooter than a loader) of any depth, I'm still learning and this whole process is more of a retirement hobby because I can't spend all my time riding the Harley Davidson.

From what I've seen, most of the backyard re-loaders (like me) do start out with a single stage press, if for no other reason than cost of the equipment, it is a little intimidating when you are starting out (unless you've got money to burn), and when talking about larger rounds (such as 50 caliber) it is difficult to find muti-stage loaders that have enough throw on the press handle for a round as long as the 50.

As SOBG mentioned, the RCBS single stage, they make a good one for the 50 cal (my son has mine presently) and the pricing was good considering how much ammo was going to be produced by it, and the simple fact that my old body is starting to feel the wear and tear of the bigger calibers, did I mention I love my .17 :chuckle: besides it being the most accurate factory rifle I've ever had (aside from the 700 Remington) there is no pain in the shoulder at the end of a shooting day.:p

Old shooters don't fade into the sunset, they limp off with a satisfied smile, carrying their targets. :D