GUNS!

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
So I advocate cleaning up the 435 people that are tasked with properly governing our country, first and foremost. This is the real problem we are faced with!

Quite :plain:

Lets go back to being the United States of America!

Good luck with that. :) *TomO smiles passively as he reassembles the bolt carrier/gas piston group of his freshly cleaned M70AB2.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A little change to your first statement ^^ So now you could have an additional reason for maintaining your weapons if the government does as you suggest.

Our government isn't why I have weapons ready.

We have 32 times the debt of Greece[/B].^^ you're example of a comparison? Greece in comparison to the U.S. wouldn't amount to a pimple on her butt.

Actually, we are much worse off in terms of debt. I realize you might not know it. They stopped payments like our social security. That is what has happened over there.

When was the last time Greece went to the rescue of another country

Irrelevant to the discussion.

You would be surprised at just how much we (The U.S.) can accomplish when we attack on a unified front, and that's all our budget is, a problem that needs to be fixed!

If democrats and republicans are against debts, why do we have them? Have you ever stopped to think that maybe we have them by law? Social security, medicare, medicaid, and the intrest is drowning this country. It is undeniable. If government shut down, we would still have a deficit from the just mentioned "entitlement" programs.

Worse off than Greece

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2010/03/marine_ammo_031010w/

Before Marines in Afghanistan received enhanced 5.56mm rounds last month, an influential four-star general advocated behind the scenes for an option that packs even more punch: 6.8mm ammunition.

Three sources with knowledge of the Marine Corps’ acquisitions process confirmed Gen. James Mattis’ interest in the 6.8mm round, saying the head of Joint Forces Command in Norfolk, Va., lobbied for it as recently as December while pushing broadly for better service-rifle ammo.

“It’s something he was definitely interested in,” said one source, speaking on the condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the subject. “He was concerned with the stopping power of the M855,” the standard 5.56mm round that the U.S. military has used for decades.

Maybe the better choice will happen when it would be easier logisitcally. Getting the Amry to change anything is even harder.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Good luck with that. :) *TomO smiles passively as he reassembles the bolt carrier/gas piston group of his freshly cleaned M70AB2.

Let's not forget that scripted "roll call vote" changing the rules so conservatives can not win the RNC nomination, ever. I can post the video again, since technically it is relevant here.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
7Va87gB_4AI
I just have to build me one of these. The simplicity of design is fantastic. I may only use it for shooting wax slugs in the back yard, but I definitely want one.
I think we should get together and brainstorm on this a bit. I does look like fun.

I don't have it for somebody inside the home. Sad, isn't it. The violent riots in Greece are where they didn't pay the pensions and entitlement checks because they went over the fiscal cliff we are headed for. We have 32 times the debt of Greece. The Justice Department, FDA, DoD, they can't just shut down. The checks will have to be stopped, that is the cause of our financial problems.
I have an AK-47 (MAK-90) and two AR-15s that I built (actually, I just built the lower and specified the upper components). One is your standard 20" rifle barrel length and the other is 24" for longer targets. The one good thing about being married to a hoarder is there is plenty of cover inside the house. For inside the home protection, it depends on what room I'm in. With no children (not by choice), we have a number of options.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My AR is an M4 variant. I didn't want to pay an extra $200 and wait months and months, so I took the 16" barrell instead of the 14.5". The 6.8SPC is quite efficient. The 20" barrell doesn't pick up enough steam to warrant the longer barrell.

My AR is an M4 variant. I didn't want to pay an extra $200 and wait months and months, so I took the 16" barrell instead of the 14.5". The 6.8SPC is quite efficient. The 20" barrell doesn't pick up enough steam to warrant the longer barrell.
Thanks for the info. I'd been toying with the idea of replacing the 20" barrel with a 16", but I have to get my finances in order. Medical bills really put us in a bind.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think we should get together and brainstorm on this a bit. I does look like fun.

Brainstorm on what to blow holes in? Did you see the post where I said I built one...

...and tested it!

It is fun! Here is the firing pin assembly I came up with
1123021123.jpg

1123021135.jpg

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
Actually, we are much worse off in terms of debt. I realize you might not know it. They stopped payments like our social security. That is what has happened over there.

I am aware of the financial problems we and Spain face, thank you.

Nick M said:
If democrats and republicans are against debts, why do we have them?

? Never said they were for or against?

Nick M said:
Have you ever stopped to think that maybe we have them by law?

I've already mentioned that fact earlier.

Nick M said:
Social security, medicare, medicaid, and the intrest is drowning this country. It is undeniable. If government shut down, we would still have a deficit from the just mentioned "entitlement" programs.

OK, not something we can't fix if our reps in D.C. will get off their butts and do what we elected them to do!

You still think this is a free country with elections. Let me help you burst that fallacy.

Nick, I've been in country's that are not free. Whether you believe America to be free or not is irrelevant to me.

The RNC would block Reagan today
[/QUOTE]

Your video didn't play.

Hope you are in a better mood tomorrow...

Apology's to the other members for straying off topic.

Hey TomO, you got that AK back together yet?

Please expand on your point, what were the different missions?

? Fire superiority on the battlefield is the only mission of the infantry's issue weapon, be it an AR or AK?
If you watch the videos above with Mr. Kalashnikov and Mr. Stoner, you'll understand what I mean. Not discussed in the videos (2 of 4) that I looked at was caliber. You want to wound your enemy on the battlefield so he/she becomes a burden to their comrades. The 7.62 x 39 is probably more likely to kill than a .223. But if the enemy abandons it's wounded, what is gained?

Reading the book, American Sniper, gives a good first-hand account of what is needed on the battlefield. If you're clearing houses you don't want a .50 cal. Chris Kyle (Navy Seal), I believe, used four or five different rifles depending on his mission. He's a solder and a hero so I'll take his words anytime.

The things "missing" on an AR can be retrofitted such as a gas piston system, larger caliber, etc. All this comes at a price. The AK47 is cheap to make and is used by every rebel army in the world. It's even pictured on at least one country's flag. It's not built for accuracy. The tolerances are generous so it always goes bang when the trigger is pulled.

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
If you watch the videos above with Mr. Kalashnikov and Mr. Stoner, you'll understand what I mean. Not discussed in the videos (2 of 4) that I looked at was caliber. You want to wound your enemy on the battlefield so he/she becomes a burden to their comrades. The 7.62 x 39 is probably more likely to kill than a .223. But if the enemy abandons it's wounded, what is gained?

Wounding the enemy is good, killing them is better, taking the objective (area occupied by your enemy) is the goal.
The problem we had with then M-16 during Vietnam was primarily from the powder the ammo was first charged with..Stoner told the military that it needed a cleaner burning powder due to close tolerances of the machining of the chamber, our military decided to go with a different powder? We ended up with cartridges expanding in a dirty chamber and the bolt on the extraction cycle ripped the base of the casing off leaving the remainder of the cartridge in the chamber, A difficult jam to correct in training let alone while we were taking incoming rounds during combat.

As for the .223 being a light weight round it had the habit of ricocheting when it came in contact with underbrush/jungle (yes Vietnam is an area with heavy jungles) making it difficult to actually hit the enemy at times.

The original M-16 forearm and stock was made with a substandard plastic that would break when impacted. That was corrected later on but not during my time in country.

SOBG said:
Reading the book, American Sniper, gives a good first-hand account of what is needed on the battlefield. If you're clearing houses you don't want a .50 cal. Chris Kyle (Navy Seal), I believe, used four or five different rifles depending on his mission. He's a solder and a hero so I'll take his words anytime.

I have no doubt that Chris Kyle was honestly giving his professional opinion as to what he needed on the battlefield, but keep in mind he is a special operator that has a great deal of advanced training with weapons and has access to what ever he needs for his mission...we were discussing the every day ground pounder, the grunt, the guy that goes out in force to wage war on the enemy, they are only trained in a few weapons (the issue rifle, pistol, light machine guns and some form of light rocket launcher such as the LAAW)

SOBG said:
The things "missing" on an AR can be retrofitted such as a gas piston system, larger caliber, etc. All this comes at a price. The AK47 is cheap to make and is used by every rebel army in the world. It's even pictured on at least one country's flag. It's not built for accuracy. The tolerances are generous so it always goes bang when the trigger is pulled.

The AK always goes bang when the trigger is pulled and you wouldn't believe how reassuring that sound is unless you had an AR jam up on you during a firefight.

Fortunately I had a friend in the armory that they stored our M-14's in when they took them from us and issued the M-16...he gave me my M-14 back when I asked for it...

The AK 47 is your enemy's choice of weapons due to proven battlefield accomplishments, it ain't the most accurate, it ain't the longest shooting rifle in the field but it gets the job done by going bang every time and penetrating through walls if necessary.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Well...I guess I'm coming late to the conversation, all the info is pretty much out there. :)