ECT God Made Mankind Upright and That Contradicts the Theory of Original Sin

Jerry Shugart

Already answered.

Then remind us why we shouldn't believe what is written here:

"So I turned my mind to understand, to investigate and to search out wisdom and the scheme of things and to understand the stupidity of wickedness and the madness of folly. I find more bitter than death the woman who is a snare, whose heart is a trap and whose hands are chains. The man who pleases God will escape her, but the sinner she will ensnare. 'Look,' says the Teacher, 'this is what I have discovered: Adding one thing to another to discover the scheme of things--while I was still searching but not finding--I found one upright man among a thousand, but not one upright woman among them all. This only have I found: God created mankind upright, but they have gone in search of many schemes'" (Eccl.7:25-29).​

Show us that you can actually address this passage and show us how what is written in this passage doesn't contradict the theory of Original Sin.

john w

Hall of Fame
Then remind us why we shouldn't believe what is written here:

"So I turned my mind to understand, to investigate and to search out wisdom and the scheme of things and to understand the stupidity of wickedness and the madness of folly. I find more bitter than death the woman who is a snare, whose heart is a trap and whose hands are chains. The man who pleases God will escape her, but the sinner she will ensnare. 'Look,' says the Teacher, 'this is what I have discovered: Adding one thing to another to discover the scheme of things--while I was still searching but not finding--I found one upright man among a thousand, but not one upright woman among them all. This only have I found: God created mankind upright, but they have gone in search of many schemes'" (Eccl.7:25-29).​

Show us that you can actually address this passage and show us how what is written in this passage doesn't contradict the theory of Original Sin.

Non responsive. Evasion. Bait'nswitch. Will you leave TOL,if I show you that I already addressed, answered your question re. "upright."

Yes, or no. Let's go. Your trap questions do not work on me. You learned these trap question techniques from the devil/Pharisees, as they tried it on the Saviour.

Let's see how honest, "upright," you are.

A dying thread, eh, and trying to sow a little discord, eh, to revive it, by drawing me/others into your trap questions, deceptive debating routine? Yes... Start a duplicate one, and have Sherman shut it down, eh? Yes...

Jerry Shugart

A dying thread, eh, and trying to sow a little discord, eh, to revive it, by drawing me/others into your trap questions, deceptive debating routine? Yes... Start a duplicate one, and have Sherman shut it down, eh? Yes...

You would love it if this thread was shut down because you do not want other people to see how you continue to ignore the truth that the Bible teaches that the LORD God made mankind upright.

You still cling with all your might to the theory of Original Sin despite all of the evidence from the Scriptures which refute it. God made mankind upright and the following evidence from the pen of Paul demonstrates that all people emerge from the womb spiritually alive and not spiritually dead, as the advocates of the theory of Original Sin assert:

"Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Spirit" (Titus 3:5).​

Here Paul uses the word "regeneration" in regard to his salvation. This word is translated from the Greek word paliggenesia, which is the combination of palin and genesis.

Palin
means "joined to verbs of all sorts,it denotes renewal or repetition of the action" (Thayer's Greek English Lexicon).

Genesis means "used of birth, nativity" (Thayer's Greek English Lexicon).

So when we combine the two words the meaning is a repetition of a birth.

So we can understand that when Paul used the Greek word translated "regeneration" to describe his salvation experience he was speaking of a repetition of a birth.

The reference is not to a "physical" rebirth, or the repetition of one's physical birth. Paul could only be speaking of a repetition of a spiritual birth. And the words that follow make it certain that the "birth" of which Paul is referring to is a "spiritual" birth--"renewing of the Holy Spirit."

Since the renewal of the Holy Spirit is in regard to being made alive spiritually then the previous birth of the Spirit must also be in regard to being made alive spiritually by the Holy Spirit. In other words, since a person is "regenerated" by the Holy Spirit then that means that one must have previously been born of the Holy Spirit. That happens at conception.

Now sonny boy, you can go into your clown act in the hope that no one will notice that you have no answer to these facts, just like you had no answer to the fact that the LORD made mankind upright!

Last edited:

ttruscott

Before they were born neither did anything which was good or evil:
"For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth" (Ro.9:11).​

There is no one word or one line way to explain this... it takes thought in the Spirit. I'll post it in hope it means something to you in the hope you like to parse difficult theology.

Romans 8:29 - For whom HE did foreknow, HE also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of HIS Son. From this verse we can see that the predestination of the elect is based on the foreknowledge of GOD. Now everyone admits that in this verse, the word “fore” means before life. Therefore, they think that it also means before creation as if our earthly life was the same as our created spirit life. I wonder if this is a valid and reasonable link to make?

GOD obviously does not before life know everybody since not everyone will become like Jesus, as Rom 8:29 just said predestination means and as per Matthew 7:21 – 23- Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’ which tells us what knowing means, emphasising the idea that loving is knowing and knowing about has no love. James 2:19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that--and shudder.

Jesus obviously knew about the demons and knew about the miracle workers but this knowing contained no love as it is plain, He never knew them. [Revelation 20:15, And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.] This means that foreknow must carry the idea of approval. As one commentator stated it, “Whom HE foreknew” is virtually equivalent to “whom HE foreloved”.

Now this question comes to mind: if it is true that no one had been created at the time of this foreknowledge, on what basis does GOD "before life" love some and not the rest?

1. Merit based Election before Creation?
The basis can not be, as some have suggested, some merit in the creatures, first because no one exists yet; second, because the ones HE foreloves will be just as defiled in life as any other; and third, because the Scriptures say election is not on the basis of the creature's works or choices in life, but rather on HIS unmerited favour: Romans 9:11 For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of GOD according to election might stand, not of works, but of HIM that calleth...

Romans 9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of GOD that sheweth mercy.
Therefore, we can surmise that GOD does not "before life" love some because HE has divined that they will have some merit in their life.

2. Election to Damnation before Creation Serves HIS Purpose?
Others have suggested that GOD "before life" loved only some because this is more beneficial for HIS purposes than if HE before life loved everyone. The explanation goes something like this:

The loved ones' eternal joy is directly proportional to their knowledge - appreciation of GOD and the wonderfulness of their salvation. Therefore an increase of good comes forth from the eternal damnation of some persons for by their damnation, that is, the outcome of Adam's decision to sin, and HIS "before life" decision not to love these persons, two types of eternal blessings supposedly occur for the rest.

First, a fuller appreciation of several of God's attributes is made possible, which opportunity wouldn't be possible if all lived forever, that is, if HE "before life" loved them all. These attributes are usually said to be HIS justness (retribution - wrath) holiness and omnipotence.

Secondly, the truth regarding the elects' end apart from Christ's salvation is made fully known, which full knowledge makes possible the fuller appreciation of HIS salvation, for this salvation (hence, HIS mercy too) would not be so fully appreciated without the graphic depiction of both ends.

Others even go so far as to say that their damnation is absolutely necessary in order that the purpose of GOD be able to be fulfilled by HIS elect, and they offer this explanation:

In order to live in eternity with GOD, we must live fully in the truth, which necessity necessitates having a perfect appreciation of GOD's attributes and HIS salvation, and that this perfect appreciation by HIS elect creatures is made possible first, only through witnessing HIS triumph over and judgement upon HIS enemies, and second, only when HIS perfection and our life in Christ are contrasted with the complete imperfections of the damned and the end we would have had, had HE not saved us.

Now, these are very hard positions to hold, for they fail on many accounts.

First, they both fail to answer or give a reasonable basis for why HE chose the particular ones HE did and why HE did not choose the rest. In other words, they both deny the faithful and unselfish character of GOD's love, in that they limit it without just cause and look on it as somewhat capricious.

Secondly,
they both necessitate the unproven presupposition that it is impossible for GOD to perfect HIS creatures HIMSELF, that HE needs the presence of evil in order to bring HIS creation to its highest potential. In other words we must accept, for example, that in GOD’S world one has to first be sick in order to be healthy, or sinful in order to be faultless [and the more sinful (or sick) the better].

Third, they both fail to satisfactorily answer the question of how the damnation of millions makes us more appreciative / perfect than would be the damnation of but one, since it is the moral depravity of those in hell that is supposed to make for the increased appreciation - perfection and not the quantity of persons therein.

Fourthly, they both put a very small value on the worth of the individual creature in the eyes of GOD.

Well, since the reason for GOD's foreknowledge / forelove not including everyone can not be found in HIS divination of merit in some creatures and since a reasonable answer has not been put forward for why GOD does it particularly, we are left with but two conclusions:

We must either look for the answer elsewhere, in some area we have not looked before, or we must put the basis of HIS foreknowledge down to unreasonable chance, which would mean that there is no reason for HIS particular "before life" love. [Aside: as I understand it, this is Calvin's failure to understand this doctrine correctly.] GOD's election / foreknowing is thus based on eenie, meenie, minie, mo, but how can you put your faith in a GOD like that? How much better to admit that we should start looking in some area we have not looked yet, and since we cannot find any of those, why not finally admit that we need a revelation from GOD to give us an infinitely loving answer to this problem?

Now, according to preconception theology, the "before life" love (foreknowledge) of GOD, that is, HIS pre-life approval of some and rejection of the rest is based on the prior uncoerced choice of the creature (in Sheol, before physical creation) and on HIS infinite love, which means that HE will never stop loving anyone who can possibly ever come to glorify HIM.

Therein is the reason why HE loved some "before this life" and why HE did not love the rest.

Some had chosen to eternally defile themselves and some had not. Some had decided to never ever fulfil HIS purpose and some were still able to fulfil HIS purpose, some willingly, (angels) and others only if HE was infallibly gracious (election) to them (His fallen church). Yes, and He predestined these to be conformed to the image of HIS Son, and HE predestined the other evil ones for the Day of Judgement and established them for the correction of the fallen elect.

Now, I ask you, which doctrine is the more scriptural and reasonable and compatible with the attributes of GOD?

2 Timothy 1:9 - Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to HIS own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began. This Scripture does not prove that we existed before our conception. The reason I am including it is that I believe that it does not invalidate preconception theology, and I am sure a lot of people will think that it and others like it do.

May I submit that when the Scriptures speak of works in relation to our election, they are referring to only our works after we're born, i.e., no one was elected on account of any works they would do in this life.

Now, if there is anyone who would like to disagree with me on this and would like to debate whether Paul intended that our pre-life works were also to be included in the works that were excluded as part of the basis of GOD's election, I would be very interested in seeing your argument. I suppose this isn't necessary, but I would like to (first) point out that any such argument must admit to our pre-existence.

The second thing I would like to point out is that we were called according to HIS purpose. This must mean so that we could fulfil HIS purpose for us. But if this is so, then there must be an uncoerced choice on our part if we are ever to have the possibility of glorifying GOD. His purpose for us necessitates a free will choice to join that purpose or it is a tape recorder type of agreement and meaningless.

Therefore I say that being called according to HIS purpose and grace is almost exactly the same as saying, being called in accord with our uncoerced choice and HIS covenant, and if making that choice is a work, since earthly works are out, then it is the same as saying, Being called in accord with a preconception work and HIS gracious covenant to those who per-fore-med that work.

The third thing I would like to point out is that the angels are elected too. 1 Timothy 5:21 I charge thee before GOD and the Lord Jesus Christ, and the elect angels...

Angels are a lot different than men (at least, that is what many believe), i.e., they do not have what is usually called “racial solidarity”. This means that they have to make all their own choices. No one else can make them for them and they can not be held accountable for someone else's evil choices. In other words, Adam's choices do not affect them at all (supposedly). Perhaps you would like to tell me on what basis GOD elected only some of them? If it was not on the basis of their individual choices, then they had to be elected before the satanic rebellion, at least. But if GOD's election took place before the satanic rebellion, would this not lead us into the pretty incredulous situation of some unblemished creatures being unjustly unpredestined to remain in heaven, (or: predestined for Hell)?

And what reasonable basis can we put forward for this situation other than HE simply did not want them to be with HIM forever? This situation does not look too good, does it?

Well then, what if no one was elected before the rebellion, that is, what if GOD's election took place after the rebellion? Then GOD's election took place after they all had made an eternal choice, and presumably that choice would be taken into account when GOD was doing HIS electing. It would have to be if HE was holy and just.

Now, the main thing I am trying to bring out with all of this is that when we just begin to consider the election of angels, we run into some pretty unreasonable implications if we leave out their choice as being a part of the basis of their election, and the only other real alternative necessitates that we accept that their eternal choice was at least a part of the basis of their election.

Well, if you are willing to accept the possibility of their choice / works being a part of the basis of their election, why can that not be a part of the basis of ours too?

May I submit that the only thing going against that possibility is the presupposition that Paul, in 2 Timothy 1:9 is excluding all our works, and I have to admit, that is what it seems to say, that is, what it seems to say until we look at Paul's definition of elective works in Romans 9:11 - For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of GOD according to election might stand, not of works, but of HIM that calleth.

Now, I do not think that I will get much argument when I say that the works of 2 Timothy 1:9 are the same works as are mentioned in this verse in Romans. In other words, Paul defines works the same in both verses. And just how does he define works? Well, in Romans, Paul is referring to Genesis 25:22 - And the children struggled together within her. The children are Jacob and Esau, and Paul says that at the time of GOD's statement to Rebecca, to the effect that the elder shall serve the younger, that neither of them had done any good or evil (works).

But the reason Rebecca had prayed to GOD was that she was having such a hard time of it because Jacob and Esau were fighting so much in the womb. Now, if they were fighting, trying to crush each other to pieces as the Hebrew suggests, at least one, if not both, had to be being evil, that is, doing evil works, since it is impossible that both were following the Holy Spirit in their struggles to kill each other. So, although it is possible that neither was being good, it is impossible that neither was being evil.

Well now, we either have a blatant contradiction and must dismiss Paul's works theology as being somewhat amiss, or we have to admit that the Pauline definition of works does not exclude pre-birth works from being a part of the basis of our election.

In fact, by his omission of their pre-birth works in those works that are excluded as being a part of the basis of our election, he must be inferring that some pre-birth works have something to do with it. To say this all another way, what we have here in Romans is a classic example of a Scripture with some missing words, that is, what Paul is really saying is, neither having done any good or evil (works on the post-birth side of the womb) that the purpose of GOD according to election might stand, not of works (done on the post-birth side of the womb) but of HIM that calleth (when one is on the post-birth side of the womb).

Thus we can see that Paul did not exclude our pre-birth works from being a part of the basis of our election.

john w

Hall of Fame
You would love it if this thread was shut down because you do not want other people to see how you continue to ignore the truth that the Bible teaches that the LORD God made mankind upright.

You still cling with all your might to the theory of Original Sin despite all of the evidence from the Scriptures which refute it. God made mankind upright and the following evidence from the pen of Paul demonstrates that all people emerge from the womb spiritually alive and not spiritually dead, as the advocates of the theory of Original Sin assert:

"Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Spirit" (Titus 3:5).​

Here Paul uses the word "regeneration" in regard to his salvation. This word is translated from the Greek word paliggenesia, which is the combination of palin and genesis.

Palin
means "joined to verbs of all sorts,it denotes renewal or repetition of the action" (Thayer's Greek English Lexicon).

So we can understand that when Paul used the Greek word translated "regeneration" to describe his salvation experience he was speaking of a repetition of a birth.

The reference is not to a "physical" rebirth, or the repetition of one's physical birth. Paul could only be speaking of a repetition of a spiritual birth. And the words that follow make it certain that the "birth" of which Paul is referring to is a "spiritual" birth--"renewing of the Holy Spirit."

Since the renewal of the Holy Spirit is in regard to being made alive spiritually then the previous birth of the Spirit must also be in regard to being made alive spiritually by the Holy Spirit. In other words, since a person is "regenerated" by the Holy Spirit then that means that one must have previously been born of the Holy Spirit. That happens at conception.

Now sonny boy, you can go into your clown act in the hope that no one will notice that you have no answer to these facts, just like you had no answer to the fact that the LORD made mankind upright!

Non responsive. Evasion. Bait'nswitch. Will you leave TOL,if I show you that I already addressed, answered your question re. "upright."

Yes, or no. Let's go. Your trap questions do not work on me. You learned these trap question techniques from the devil/Pharisees, as they tried it on the Saviour.

Let's see how honest, "upright," you are.

No, geezer, as soon as you tell me what scripture it is, that demands I answer every question, or your trap questions, like the Pharisees tried to pull on the Saviour, I will oblige you.

Chapter, verse.

He won't. He knows I'll pick him apart. He is quite easily pushed around, being a frail, weak minded, and physically challenged, old man.

that you have no answer to these facts, just like you had no answer to the fact that the LORD made mankind upright!

Will you leave TOL,if I show you that I already addressed, answered your question re. "upright."

your clown act

Really, old geezer? Sure, loser, as you are largely ignored on TOL, in contrast to me.

The great saint John W’s page:
This page has had 16,748 visits
Thanked 10,747 Times in 7,580 Posts

crowd.jpg

Vs.

Old geezer Jer’s “page”
This page has had 885 visits
Thanked 8,091 Times in 5,274 Posts

Wow, old man....885 visits....Quite impressive. Flap them big shoes, Bozo.

tumbleweed3.jpg

Contrasts. You’re quite irrelevant on TOL, Bozo.

I see you have no answer as to why you assert that everyone is equal to the Saviour, when born, in "sinlessness," and why you assert that the virgin birth was uneccessary, and as to why you assert that Romans-Philemon says the same thing as Hebrews-Rev.

There is no doubt whatsoever, that you continue to ignore the truth that the Bible teaches that men are not sinless when born, identical to the Saviour, that the rapture is not the same as the second coming, that Paul was not just a flunkie, that children need not be taught to misbehave, be selfish, that Job was not a child, in the bible.

Why should we believe you, instead of Paul, blender boy?

How'd I do?

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

I see you have no answer as to why you assert that everyone is equal to the Saviour, when born, in "sinlessness,"

I have answered but you are so deep in unbelief that you can't see the truth. You would rather cling to a teaching that makes the LORD God responsible for all the evil deeds done by man.

Since the Lord Jesus was made like us in every way it is obvious to anyone who will use his brain that we are not made sinners:

"Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people" (Heb.2:17).​

The Bible is a book of details, sonny boy. And the author of Hebrews made it plain that the Lord Jesus was made like us "in all things."

But you say that He wasn't made like us in all things because we emerge from the womb spiritually dead while He emerged spiritually alive.

nikolai_42

In order to examine the results of personal sins in regard to death let us look first at the following verse :

"As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins" (Eph.2:1).​

Joseph Benson wrote that "they are under condemnation, on account of their past depravity and various transgressions, to the second death, or to future wrath and punishment, like criminals under sentence of death for their crimes" [emphasis added] (Joseph Benson, Benson Commentary on the Old and New Testaments, Commentary at Ephesians 2:1).

In The Pulpit Commentary we read that "the death ascribed to the Ephesians in their natural state is evidently spiritual death, and "trespasses and sins," being in the dative seems to indicate the cause of death - 'dead through your trespasses and your sins' (R.V.)" (The Pulpit Commentary)

Paul also tells the believers at Colosse the following:

"And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses"
(Col.2:13).​

In Vincent's Word Studies we read the following: "In your sins...the dative is instrumental, through or by" (Marvin R. Vincent, Vincent's Word Studies)

At Colossians 2:13 we read that Paul tells these people that they were dead previously but now have been made "alive with Christ." This can only be speaking of them receiving spiritual life so their death was a spiritual death. So these people died spiritually as a result of their own sin. That means that they were alive spiritually before they sinned because no one can die spiritually unless he is first alive spiritually. And the only possible way that these people were alive spiritually before they sinned is because they emerged from the womb spiritually alive.

That means that no one emerges from the womb spiritually dead and that completely destroys the theory of Original Sin which teaches that all people emerge from the womb spiritually dead. Thomas R. Schreiner is clearly in error when he says that "all people sin individually because they enter the world spiritually dead on the basis of their union with Adam" (Thomas R. Schreiner, Adam, the Fall, and Original Sin", 273-74).

The theory of Original Sin is very harmful to the cause of Christianity because it makes the LORD God the author of sin. When unbelievers hear Christians teach that little babies are guilty of Adam's sin they have a really good reason to reject Christianity.

Another thought, then. Does that mean that Jesus' requirement that man be "born again" implies spiritual birth for a second time?

john w

Hall of Fame
I have answered but you are so deep in unbelief that you can't see the truth. You would rather cling to a teaching that makes the LORD God responsible for all the evil deeds done by man.

Since the Lord Jesus was made like us in every way it is obvious to anyone who will use his brain that we are not made sinners:

"Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people" (Heb.2:17).​

The Bible is a book of details, sonny boy. And the author of Hebrews made it plain that the Lord Jesus was made like us "in all things."

But you say that He wasn't made like us in all things because we emerge from the womb spiritually dead while He emerged spiritually alive.

We see you have no answer as to why you assert that everyone is equal to the Saviour, when born, in "sinlessness," and why you, on record, assert that the virgin conception was not needed,and is false, as the Saviour actually was from the seed of Joseph, and as to why you have to teach children not to be greedy, selfish, disobeying, rebellious.............and why you assert that Job was a child.

We all on TOL who adhere to a dispensational approach, sickly old man, unlike you, have answered you,but you are so deep in unbelief that you can't see the truth, and assert that all of the bible says the same thing, assert that the rapture is the same thing as the second coming,assert that Mary was sinless from childhood, to her death, assert that Roman-Philemon says the same thing as Hebrews-Revelation.

You would rather cling to a teaching that makes the LORD God responsible for sending people to hell.

How did I do, admitted humanist, closet atheist? There can be no doubt, whatsoever, that you study the teachings of atheists, old geezer.

And notice my "There can be no doubt, whatsoever,?" That clinches it-I won! You taught TOL that-we learned it from you.

How come virtually no one visits your page, humanist? Is it because you're an admitted bible corrector, and humanist, whose doctrine, and humanism, determines what the bible says, what it should say, and what doctrine it should teach, and, if it does not, you correct it,or fimnd a "version" that agrees with you, and, if it does not make sense to you, you do not understand it, you make up doctrine, making the bible agree with you?

You've been an Acts 2 blender, and humanist, for how long now?

You/atheists: I do not understand how people can worship a God that sends people to spend an eternity to hell, "for the offence of one...by one man's offence....by one man's offence " It's not fair that I have been deemed to have sinned, and charged with sin,just because this Adam dude did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!What I cannot understand, I will not believe. Therefore, there is no hell, and I will not cling to this teaching.

You/atheists:I do not understand how people can worship a God that allows people who commit sins, w/o any repurcussions, ramifications, merely by sending this "one man" "Jesus" to die in my place, giving a free gift, to those who do not deserve it, a gift of righteousness, without earning it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!This makes the LORD God responsible for not being fair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!How can you worship a Santa Claus God, who sends people to an eternity in hell, for merely doing good works to please Him, and rewards those who do no good works, do nothing, but let this "Jesus" do it all????!!!! What I do not understand, think is fair, I will not believe!!!

Shut up, Shugart, with your humanist philosophy-you talk like a lost person-they talk like you. Why don't you continue to "bargain" with the LORD God, shake your fist at him, complain that we should not have the same genes as fallen Adam/Eve, that it is not fair, blah blah blah....and, at the same time try to justify why he should not kick your big, fat, a__, and take back that free gift of righteousness, the gift of grace, as that is also not "fair" that this "Jesus" be sent to the cross, to affect this gift. Go ahead, Shugart. And, while you are at it, call up your parents, and complain about the genes they gave you, both physical, and especially mental, and yell at them, ask them why they did this to you?

I thought so.

Memorize: "so also...so is...for/but...Therefor/even so..."
Romans 5:15-18 KJV

15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.

16 And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.

17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)

18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

Hebrews 7 KJV
1 For this Melchisedec, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him;

2 To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace;

3 Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually.

4 Now consider how great this man was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils.

5 And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:6 But he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises.

7 And without all contradiction the less is blessed of the better.

8 And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.

9 And as I may so say, Levi also, who receiveth tithes, payed tithes in Abraham.10 For he was yet in the loins of his father, when Melchisedec met him.

I pen the Romans 5 KJV/Hebrews 7 KJV "connection," not for Shugart's benefit, as he is still on milk, not being able to digest the meat, but for mature "meat eaters" within the boc.

Time for your nap, kid Shugart.

Jerry Shugart

Another thought, then. Does that mean that Jesus' requirement that man be "born again" implies spiritual birth for a second time?

Yes, and the following evidence from the pen of Paul demonstrates that the saved experience a spiritual birth twice:

Palin

nikolai_42

From the Scriptures we know that the LORD God loves the world (Jn.3:16) and that He doesn't want anyone to perish (2 Pet.3:9). However, if the theory of Original Sin is correct then the LORD set up a system which practically guarantees that no one will be saved. According to the Federal Headship theory Adam was mankind's representative by divine appointment. And once he sinned, his corrupted nature as well as the guilt of his sin was conveyed to all of his posterity. As a result, all people emerge from the womb "made opposite to all good, and wholly inclined to all evil" (Westminster Confession of Faith, 6/4).

The LORD had already dealt with Lucifer who had free will so He certainly knew the dangers associated with His creatures and free will. And even with that knowledge, according to theory, the LORD set up a system whereby if Adam exercised his free will and ate of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil then all people emerge from the womb wholly inclined to all evil. If the LORD actually set up such a system then practically no one will come to the light of the gospel according to what is written here:

"For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God" (Jn.3:17-21).​

According to the theory of Original Sin the LORD set up a system and according to that system when Adam sinned then as a result all people emerge from the womb wholly inclined to all evil. And because of their evil deeds they hate the word of God and do not believe it either. I just can't believe that the Lord would set up such a system because that system practically ensures that no one will believe and that all will perish even though the LORD does not want any to perish.

Does anyone want to defend this ridiculous theory?

For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,
Romans 8:20

God did not make man sinful. God subjected man to frailty and weakness in that regard. So the idea of sin in a world where the will is utterly free and man is a virtual tabula rasa puts him in a neutral position in terms of moral standing before God. And thus the argument goes that if man can just overcome his frailty, he can avoid sin by freely choosing only what is right. The dice are tossed and if a man chooses what is right at the very beginning, then he has made a "vote" by his free will on the side of being a good tree. However - as soon as he has sinned, he is defined as a bad tree (since spiritual death can't come to someone who is good). Or else you end up with a situation where he is okay until his good outweighs his bad (which is clearly unscriptural). The point being (counter the above reasoning) that "what is" is not defined by "what we will". Rather, "what we will" is a product of "what is". And "what is" is not some accident God is trying to clean up. Doubtless, there is (what appears to be) latitude and "failure" in the working out all things according to His will, but in the end it is His will - not ours - that prevails. The consecration of free will as an explanation for man's predicament and counter-universalism (and means to preserve responsibility) is flawed because it denies God's Sovereignty (ultimately) in an area that suffers eternally without it - man's salvation. Man's responsibility before God transcends the freedom (or bondage) of his will. Man does not sin against his will, but because of it. And just as a criminal who is one because of his upbringing has no defense before the law when he commits said crimes, so too does the man who does evil freely (but because of his natural state) stand condemned before God. In a sense, though, it is also the condemnation of sin as a thing :

For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
Romans 8:3

Paul's whole argument in Romans 7 and 8 identifies the flesh as utterly under the law (and, therefore, given over to sin).

For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
Romans 7:14

The flesh is not redeemable (in the context of Romans 7 and 8) and so man's free will is not a factor in the unregenerate man. He is hopelessly given over if he is in the flesh. So there is, I believe, a reason why Paul speaks of sin in a somewhat detached manner when bringing in the spirit as opposed to the flesh. Not as a sort of means to blame sin on something besides himself (he freely admits guilt before God) but to show the real issue that plagues a fallen race. Sin is an issue because it is universally dominant (without Christ). And anyone attempting to rationalize responsibility in terms of one's free will ends up trying to justify the flesh (as though the will can freely choose perfection - however "hard" that may be). Romans 7 and 8 says many things - and one of them is that the flesh CANNOT please God. He isn't vacillating between what he was and what he is, he is saying that the flesh that is subject to vanity is left behind in someone who walks according to the Spirit of God. Not someone who wills this or that. Sin is a fact and it is seen objectively only by those who are delivered from it. Not those whose lives are (necessarily) ruled by it. And there are not some good, some bad and some yet to be determined. For ALL have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God. There is NONE righteous - no not one. David wrestled with that futility and was justified by one thing and one thing only - faith in God (as was Abraham) without works or force of will.

nikolai_42

Yes, and the following evidence from the pen of Paul demonstrates that the saved experience a spiritual birth twice:

Palin

So everyone is born in the Spirit and then loses the Spirit when they sin and then are reborn (spiritually) when they are saved? Then they aren't born in Adam since in Adam all die and the wages of sin is death. You can't have it both ways. Either that death reference is spiritual or physical. And if physical, then you lose the argument that sin produces spiritual death. In other words, if all die (physically) in Adam and are resurrected in Christ, you have a physical death solved by a spiritual resurrection. So Adam's death was spiritual and man is born in the flesh. And if man is born spiritually alive, then why doesn't he have the struggle of Romans 7 and 8 until he dies and then is reborn (again)?

Jerry Shugart

We see you have no answer as to why you assert that everyone is equal to the Saviour, when born, in "sinlessness,"

Sonny boy, the Bible is a book of details and the author of Hebrews says that the Lord Jesus was made like us "in all things."

Of course you do not believe that because you cling with all your might to the false theory developed by Augustine where he said the following about the results of Adam eating of the forbidden tree:

"Our bodies would not have been born with defects, and there would have been no human monsters, if Adam had not corrupted our nature by his sin, and that had not been punished in his posterity. Op. Imp. I. 116; II. 123; III. 95,104; V. 8. The sickly and dying nature of the human body, proceeds from the lapse of the first man. De Gen. ad Lit. XI. 32."

David certainly did not believe that his body was born with defects, as evidenced by what he said here:

"For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well"
(Ps.139:13-14).​

You prove once again that you put more faith in what some people like Augustine say about the Scriptures than you do in what the Scriptures actually teach. The Scriptures reveal that the Lord Jesus was "in all things" made just like us but you say that He was not made like us in every way but only in some ways. Details, sonny boy, details!

Jerry Shugart

So everyone is born in the Spirit and then loses the Spirit when they sin and then are reborn (spiritually) when they are saved?

I offered evidence from the Scriptures which demonstrates that every person is born of the Spirit prior to entering the world. And you said nothing about the meaning of that verse which I gave. Why not?

Then they aren't born in Adam since in Adam all die and the wages of sin is death.

In regard to this John Murray writes that "In 1 Corinthians 2:22, 45-49 Paul provides us with what is one of the most striking and significant rubics in all of Scripture. He comprehends God's dealings with men under the twofold headships of two Adams...Adam and Christ sustain unique relations to men. And that history and destiny are determined by these relationships is demonstrated by verse 22: 'As in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive'...the kind of relationship which Adam sustains to men is after the pattern of the relationship which Christ sustains to men" (John Murray, The Imputsation of Adam's Sin).

Yes, the pattern of the relationship which Christ sustains to men is after the pattern of the relationship which Adam sustains to men. And since no one is automatically "in Christ" then the same must be true for those "in Adam." No one is "in Christ" until they do something, and that thing is to believe. And no one is "in Adam" until they sin.

Therefore, we can understand that no one can be under the "headship of Christ" until they believe just like no one can be considered under the "headship of Adam" until they sin.

john w

Hall of Fame
Sonny boy, the Bible is a book of details and the author of Hebrews says that the Lord Jesus was made like us "in all things."

Of course you do not believe that because you cling with all your might to the false theory developed by Augustine where he said the following about the results of Adam eating of the forbidden tree:

"Our bodies would not have been born with defects, and there would have been no human monsters, if Adam had not corrupted our nature by his sin, and that had not been punished in his posterity. Op. Imp. I. 116; II. 123; III. 95,104; V. 8. The sickly and dying nature of the human body, proceeds from the lapse of the first man. De Gen. ad Lit. XI. 32."

David certainly did not believe that his body was born with defects, as evidenced by what he said here:

"For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well"
(Ps.139:13-14).​

You prove once again that you put more faith in what some people like Augustine say about the Scriptures than you do in what the Scriptures actually teach. The Scriptures reveal that the Lord Jesus was "in all things" made just like us but you say that He was not made like us in every way but only in some ways. Details, sonny boy, details!
We see you have no answer as to why you assert that everyone is equal to the Saviour, when born, in "sinlessness," and why you, on record, assert that the virgin conception was not needed,and is false, as the Saviour actually was from the seed of Joseph, and as to why you have to teach children not to be greedy, selfish, disobeying, rebellious.............and why you assert that Job was a child.

We all on TOL who adhere to a dispensational approach, sickly old man, unlike you, have answered you,but you are so deep in unbelief that you can't see the truth, and assert that all of the bible says the same thing, assert that the rapture is the same thing as the second coming,assert that Mary was sinless from childhood, to her death, assert that Roman-Philemon says the same thing as Hebrews-Revelation.

You would rather cling to a teaching that makes the LORD God responsible for sending people to hell.

How did I do, admitted humanist, closet atheist? There can be no doubt, whatsoever, that you study the teachings of atheists, old geezer.

And notice my "There can be no doubt, whatsoever,?" That clinches it-I won! You taught TOL that-we learned it from you.

How come virtually no one visits your page, humanist? Is it because you're an admitted bible corrector, and humanist, whose doctrine, and humanism, determines what the bible says, what it should say, and what doctrine it should teach, and, if it does not, you correct it,or fimnd a "version" that agrees with you, and, if it does not make sense to you, you do not understand it, you make up doctrine, making the bible agree with you?

You/atheists: I do not understand how people can worship a God that sends people to spend an eternity to hell, "for the offence of one...by one man's offence....by one man's offence " It's not fair that I have been deemed to have sinned, and charged with sin,just because this Adam dude did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!What I cannot understand, I will not believe. Therefore, there is no hell, and I will not cling to this teaching.

You/atheists:I do not understand how people can worship a God that allows people who commit sins, w/o any repurcussions, ramifications, merely by sending this "one man" "Jesus" to die in my place, giving a free gift, to those who do not deserve it, a gift of righteousness, without earning it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!This makes the LORD God responsible for not being fair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!How can you worship a Santa Claus God, who sends people to an eternity in hell, for merely doing good works to please Him, and rewards those who do no good works, do nothing, but let this "Jesus" do it all????!!!! What I do not understand, think is fair, I will not believe!!!

Shut up, Shugart, with your humanist philosophy-you talk like a lost person-they talk like you. Why don't you continue to "bargain" with the LORD God, shake your fist at him, complain that we should not have the same genes as fallen Adam/Eve, that it is not fair, blah blah blah....and, at the same time try to justify why he should not kick your big, fat, a__, and take back that free gift of righteousness, the gift of grace, as that is also not "fair" that this "Jesus" be sent to the cross, to affect this gift. Go ahead, Shugart. And, while you are at it, call up your parents, and complain about the genes they gave you, both physical, and especially mental, and yell at them, ask them why they did this to you?

I thought so.

15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.

16 And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.

17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)

18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

Hebrews 7 KJV
1 For this Melchisedec, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him;

2 To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace;

3 Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually.

4 Now consider how great this man was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils.

5 And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:6 But he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises.

8 And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.

9 And as I may so say, Levi also, who receiveth tithes, payed tithes in Abraham.10 For he was yet in the loins of his father, when Melchisedec met him.

I pen the Romans 5 KJV/Hebrews 7 KJV "connection," not for Shugart's benefit, as he is still on milk, not being able to digest the meat, but for mature "meat eaters" within the boc.

You prove once again that you put more faith in what some people like Anderson, Ironside, Walvoord, say about the Scriptures than you do in what the Scriptures actually teach. The Scriptures reveal that we inherit our genes from Adam/Eve, and that The Holy Spirit was responsible for him being "immaculately conceived," not Joseph, as you assert, and that we are not born sinless, identical to him, like you assert, and thus need no salvation.

How long have you been an Acts 2 humanist bible blender?

Time for your nap, kid Shugart.

And notice the deceit, hypocrisy of thids Shugart drone, as he spams "You prove once again that you put more faith in what some people like Augustine say about the Scriptures than you do in what the Scriptures actually teach" on every third post, right after he quotes his men that he worships, such as "sir" Robert Anderson, Paul Sadler...................................as 85% of what he posts, is just word-for-word quotes from "the giants," where he sits at their feet,licking their boots.

You're an actor, fraud, and that is why people laugh at you, shun your "page."

Jerry Shugart

Paul's whole argument in Romans 7 and 8 identifies the flesh as utterly under the law (and, therefore, given over to sin).

The verses which are speaking of the "flesh" are speaking of a Christian's "walk." A Christian can either walk after the Spirit or after the flesh:

"That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit"
(Ro.8:4).​

When Paul contrasts walking in the flesh with walking after the spirit he is speaking about being self-centered as opposed to being God-centered. Paul speaks about that same principle here:

"For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit"
(Ro.8:5).​

We can also understand that it is indeed possible for a Christian to walk or live after the flesh because Paul tells Christians that if they live after the flesh they shall die:

"For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live"
(Ro.8:13).​

If it is impossible that a Christian can walk after the flesh then it would make absolutely no sense for Paul to tell Christians that "if they live after the flesh you shall die."

The "death" spoken of here is in regard to the Christian's walk, that "we should also walk in newness of life" (Ro.6:4) so that "the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh" (2 Cor.4:11). The second part of verse 13 is telling Christians that if they mortify the deeds of the body they will live. Christians are already received eternal life so Paul's words there are also referring to walking in newness of life.

From all of this we can understand that Christians can indeed walk in the flesh and when they live or walk that way they cannot please God. The Apostle John refers to that kind of walk as walking in darkness:

"This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth" (1 Jn.1:5-6).​

Matthew Henry wrote the following commentary about Romans 8:8:

"Believers may be chastened of the Lord, but will not be condemned with the world. By their union with Christ through faith, they are thus secured. What is the principle of their walk; the flesh or the Spirit, the old or the new nature, corruption or grace? For which of these do we make provision, by which are we governed?" (Matthew Henry, Concise Commentary on the Whole Bible).

When Paul used the word "flesh" in the chapters which you mentioned he was not saying that the actual "flesh" of individuals is in some way corrupt because David makes it plain that a person's flesh and blood body is not corrupt:

"For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well" (Ps.139:13-14).​

Jerry Shugart

We see you have no answer as to why you assert that everyone is equal to the Saviour, when born, in "sinlessness,"

I quoted Scriptures which say that the Lord Jesus was made like us in all things. But you simply ignore that and insist that He was made like us in only some ways.

Details, sonny boy, details!

The Scriptures reveal that we inherit our genes from Adam/Eve,

Yes, and according the Scriptures they were both made "good." So why do you not believe that we inherit their genes?

john w

Hall of Fame
I quoted Scriptures which say that the Lord Jesus was made like us in all things. But you simply ignore that and insist that He was made like us in only some ways.

Details, sonny boy, details!

Yes, and according the Scriptures they were both made "good." So why do you not believe that we inherit their genes?

I thought so.

Hebrews 7 KJV

You prove once again that you put more faith in what some people like Anderson, Ironside, Walvoord, say about the Scriptures than you do in what the Scriptures actually teach. The Scriptures reveal that we inherit our genes from Adam/Eve, and that The Holy Spirit was responsible for him being "immaculately conceived," not Joseph, as you assert, and that we are not born sinless, identical to him, like you assert, and thus need no salvation.

Here is the clincher: Why should we believe you, instead of the bible, and the "giants" you worship?

How long have you been an Acts 2 humanist bible blender, and a Ryrie-ite?

DAN P

"That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit"[/I] (Ro.8:4).[/INDENT]
/QUOTE]

Hi Jerry . and how do you see what Rom 8:4 and what the " RIGHTEOUS REQUIREMENT " of the Law means ?

Does it mean we are to keep the Law ?

dan p

Jerry Shugart

15. But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.

Here Paul said that as a result of Adam's sin "many" were dead. That by itself destroys the theory of Original Sin because according to that theory "all" people are dead because of Adam's sin.

But that will mean nothing to you because you prove over and over that you do not actually believe the Scriptures. Even though the author of the book of Hebrews the Lord Jesus was made like us in all things you deny what he says. And you just ignore the verses that prove that both the Lord Jesus and all of mankind are made upright and that we are wonderfully made.

Jerry Shugart

Hi Jerry . and how do you see what Rom 8:4 and what the " RIGHTEOUS REQUIREMENT " of the Law means ?

Does it mean we are to keep the Law ?

The following words of Paul should answer your question:

"Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law" (Ro.3:21).​