Fire chief fired after gay comments in book

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Because he was being paid to be the fire chief, and only the fire chief for 8 hours a day. If he just couldn't do that without preaching, he should have resigned.

Define how giving a book to friends is preaching. Show the constitutional clause that says you must leave your personal faith at the door of your employment.

Jose Fly

In Ohio...

"123:7-1-02 Solicitation and distribution activities by employees.
(A) An employee may solicit other employees in both non-work and work areas only if all employees involved are on non-working time.

(B) An employee may distribute literature in a non-work area on non-working time only if all employees involved are on non-working time."

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
In Ohio...

"123:7-1-02 Solicitation and distribution activities by employees.
(A) An employee may solicit other employees in both non-work and work areas only if all employees involved are on non-working time.

(B) An employee may distribute literature in a non-work area on non-working time only if all employees involved are on non-working time."

Nothing was "distrubuted" to all employees and nothing was solicited in any way, and he gave a couple friends a book on their lunch break.

Try again.

Jose Fly

Nothing was "distrubuted" to all employees
Nobody said otherwise. Again read the Ohio regs...

Note it doesn't say anything about "all" employees, but rather says "other employees".

Here "all employees" refers only to those "involved".

and nothing was solicited in any way, and he gave a couple friends a book on their lunch break.
Incorrect. He gave the book to several employees, at least three of whom didn't want it and found it offensive.

Try again.
Get the facts straight.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Nobody said otherwise. Again read the Ohio regs...

You are an idiot who clearly does not know what solicit means.

so·lic·it
səˈlisit/
verb
verb: solicit; 3rd person present: solicits; past tense: solicited; past participle: solicited; gerund or present participle: soliciting

ask for or try to obtain (something) from someone.
"he called a meeting to solicit their views"
synonyms: ask for, request, seek, apply for, put in for, call for, press for, beg, plead for More
"Phil tried to solicit his help"
ask, petition, importune, implore, plead with, entreat, appeal to, lobby, beg, supplicate, call on, press;
literarybeseech
"they are solicited for their opinions"
ask (someone) for something.
"historians and critics are solicited for opinions by the auction houses"

He wasnt soliciting anything to begin with. Giving a book to friends, is not soliciting.

Jose Fly

I guess you missed the second part.

(B) An employee may distribute literature in a non-work area on non-working time only if all employees involved are on non-working time.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I guess you missed the second part.

(B) An employee may distribute literature in a non-work area on non-working time only if all employees involved are on non-working time.

Which is what happened, but that clause is about solicitation, he wasnt soliciting anything to begin with.

You are desperate and grasping at straws, that passage is stating that you can only solicit on your breaks.

Soliciting never happened to begin with. :doh:

This would only apply if he was selling his books at work, he wasnt.

Jose Fly

Giving a couple of friends a copy of his own book is not distribution either.
Again get the facts straight. At least 3 of the people he gave it to didn't want it and found it offensive.

Distrubution goes along with solicitation, he was not recruiting, or soliciting anything
If I give out religious pamphlets, I'm distributing them. If I try and get people to buy them for a price, I'm soliciting.

you sir are a moron.
Funny how freely you Christians call people retards, idiots, and morons. Says a lot about your faith.

Jose Fly

The Atlanta Journal Constitution has obtained a copy of the City's internal investigation report. Some of the key findings...

I. Was Publication of the Book Authorized?

The Standards of Conduct provide a clear directive to “commissioners, deputy commissioners [and] department heads” to seek approval of the Board of Ethics before the department head “may engage in private employment or render services for private interests.”1 No such approval was sought or rendered in the publication of the book that is available on Amazon.com for purchase.

At the outset of the investigation, Chief Cochran admitted that he did not inform Mayor Reed that he was publishing the book and did not have the Mayor’s permission. The only indication there was any mention of the book to anyone in the Mayor’s Office is the Chief Operating Officer at the time of publication remembering that Chief Cochran had talked about writing a book on leadership.

Chief Cochran insists Ethics Officer Hickson authorized both the publication of the book and the reference in the book to his position as AFRD Chief. His recollection is that he first contacted Ms. Hickson to determine if it was permissible to publish the book and that he later asked if it was appropriate to identify himself in the book as AFRD Chief. Ms. Hickson indicated that she did not approve publication of the book and had no authority to grant such approval. She said she told him that he would need to get the Mayor’s permission as well as a formal opinion from the Board of Ethics.
So Cochran only spoke to one city employee about the book, and she wasn't in any sort of position of authority to grant authorization. Additionally, he didn't ask permission from, or even inform, his supervisor (the mayor) to publish a book using his title as Fire Chief.

II. To What Extent Was the Book Distributed in the Workplace?

Chief Cochran stated that he provided the book to certain members of his command staff as a personal gift. He originally stated that he did not provide it to anyone who did not request a copy. The investigation disclosed that the book was distributed in the workplace to at least nine (9) individuals. Three (3) of these officers stated that the book was given to them without a request on their part.
So at least 3 of his employees didn't want the book.

The next part makes it clear that Cochran's beliefs didn't seem to influence his disciplinary actions. However...

There was a consistent sentiment among the witnesses that firefighters throughout the organization are appalled by the sentiments expressed in the book.

There also is general agreement the contents of the book have eroded trust and have compromised the ability of the chief to provide leadership in the future.
IOW, he publicly embarrassed the City of Atlanta Fire Department.

But all that is why he was suspended. A part of his suspension was that he wasn't supposed to discuss the case publicly while on suspension. Instead, Cochran went directly to the public and tried to make himself a martyr. So they fired him, in part for this insubordination.

resodko

BANNED
Banned
Funny how freely you Christians call people retards, idiots, and morons. Says a lot about your faith.

dude, you're a retard :idunno:

faith's got nothing to do with it

you'd realize that if you weren't such a ....well, you know

So at least 3 of his employees didn't want the book.

only a retard would think that "the book was given to them without a request on their part" means the same as "didn't want the book" :darwinsm:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I don't know how it could be anything else. He's the head of the Fire Dept., and everyone who works for the FD is his subordinate. While on work time and at a city building, he passed out copies of his book to firemen.

None of those are in dispute by any of the parties.
Yes, technically he's a supervisor and the people he gave it to are subordinates, but I'm pointing to spirit of it. Labeling it as a supervisor giving reading material to subordinates implies to me that it was unwanted or that he was giving it to them as their supervisor. Whereas I was talking about a scenario in which he wasn't giving anything to them as their supervisor, he was giving people a book as a fellow Christian with whom he had some level of relationship. Now, other reports are saying that he didn't only give it to people under those circumstances and that would be more problematic. However, my point is that a supervisor giving an employee a book isn't, by itself, a problem. More info is needed.

Doesn't matter. He still gave out anti-gay literature to his subordinates while at work and on city property. He still authored the book using his title as Fire Chief. You can't do those things.
:idunno: You brought up him treating gay employees unequally and I was responding to that. I'm not saying he absolutely didn't do anything wrong. If you think his treatment of his employees doesn't matter then I'm not sure why you brought it up. :eek:

Jose Fly

Yes, technically he's a supervisor and the people he gave it to are subordinates, but I'm pointing to spirit of it. Labeling it as a supervisor giving reading material to subordinates implies to me that it was unwanted or that he was giving it to them as their supervisor.
That's exactly what the report says, i. e., that he gave it to employees who didn't request it or want it.

You brought up him treating gay employees unequally
No I didn't. The closest was my reference to his book potentially giving gays the impression that the City of Atlanta wouldn't treat them equally. But even then, that's not why he was fired.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
That's exactly what the report says, i. e., that he gave it to employees who didn't request it or want it.
ok.

No I didn't.
"Not only that, what if any of his employees are gay? At their place of employment, he's just given out his own book where he equates them with pedophiles and people who have sex with animals. I don't think those employees would feel he was going to treat them equally. "

:plain:

So I suppose what you actually mentioned is employees thinking he wouldn't treat them equally. But my point still stands. He has a work history that should serve to confirm or deny their fears. Unless he's never had any openly gay employees so there wouldn't be a clear history.

The closest was my reference to his book potentially giving gays the impression that the City of Atlanta wouldn't treat them equally. But even then, that's not why he was fired.
I never said that's why he was fired.