Fast Food workers protest and demand more money.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
Not always a great option.

if you're working minimum wage, you can't expect great options :idunno:

Or maybe just make the owner of their place of employ give up one of his seven private jets. That seems more reasonable.

or you could let your kids sleep in the cargo hold :idunno:

I'm sure that next you're going to passionately argue for the universal, free access to birth control.

yep!

one of these

27549.jpg

None-the-less, they open doors.

free internet is abundant - at schools, libraries

i speak from experience :)

and basic cell phone service costs me ten bucks a month

Also, not always an option.

no, but if it isn't, there are things you can do to make it so

like moving nearer to where you work

Or working retail. Or going to a job interview for just about anything else.

i shop walmart all the time

and my ex loved shopping thrift stores

you can cloth yourself quite cheaply and still look presentable

I don't see why we should expect the employees of profitable companies to make all the sacrifices.

earning $16,640 for entry level work is seen by people outside the us as extremely generous

rexlunae

if you're working minimum wage, you can't expect great options :idunno:

And the lower the wage, the worse the options. That's kinda the point.

free internet is abundant - at schools, libraries

i speak from experience :)

and basic cell phone service costs me ten bucks a month

And basic smart-phone service can be had for $30-50 depending on carrier. Cheaper in some places. If your budget rises and fall on that amount, you're not saving any money.

no, but if it isn't, there are things you can do to make it so

like moving nearer to where you work

Once again, not always an option.

i shop walmart all the time

I...don't. Unless I can't avoid it. I don't really want to support companies on welfare.

and my ex loved shopping thrift stores

That's great.

you can cloth yourself quite cheaply and still look presentable

It's possible. But it's still a hardship for people who don't make a lot of money, especially if you're trying to cloth children too.

earning $16,640 for entry level work is seen by people outside the us as extremely generous

Which people? People who live in poor countries?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
given a choice between sympathizing for those who work hard, sacrifice and are successful, and those who waste opportunities, make poor choices and fail, you go for the self-inflicted losers? :freak:

well, i suppose you feel a kinship with them :idunno:
:chuckle:

Or maybe just make the owner of their place of employ give up one of his seven private jets. That seems more reasonable.
Yeah, it's definitely more reasonable to make a guy give up something he paid for with his own money that he earned by working his way to the top. Uh huh. :rolleyes:

bybee

No, but that doesn't make unfairness a virtue. And we have systemized a fair amount of that.

Seems like being lightheaded makes it a lot harder to try to live a useful and fulfilling life.

I'm suggesting that throwing someone in jail is completely counterproductive in terms of helping a person live up to their financial responsibilities.

Is that a credit application? Because I'm pretty sure I would have to pull a credit report to consider it. And, you know, be a bank.

I just bought a car. My credit rating is 835.

rexlunae

Yeah, it's definitely more reasonable to make a guy give up something he paid for with his own money that he earned by working his way to the top. Uh huh. :rolleyes:

There is no way that the people at the top of the economic pile in the US generally worked their way to the top. And there's no good reason that only the top should prosper in this country. If you are working, there is no reason that you should not be pretty comfortable.

Caledvwlch

There is no way that the people at the top of the economic pile in the US generally worked their way to the top. And there's no good reason that only the top should prosper in this country. If you are working, there is no reason that you should not be pretty comfortable.

Or at least not have to rely on food stamps, as Resurrected assumed when he calculated his monthly minimum wage budget.

bybee

"Life isn't fair, and darn it, let's keep it that way!" - Bybee :chuckle:

Life isn't fair so do your best with what you have. Share with others and pool resources.
If you are poor you need to work. You don't have time for protests.
Go to the Library in your spare time and learn something useful.

One Eyed Jack

What if you don't have any potential roommates?

Put an ad in the paper -- ROOMMATE WANTED.

Two of the three of those are actually pretty hard to dispense with, because they tend to be gateways to opportunity for advancement.

You can get free wi-fi just about anywhere nowadays -- even McDonald's. Or you can go to the library. I don't consider mobile phones essential, as I've never had one, nor do I ever plan on getting one. I get by just fine with a land line.

That may work for some, won't work for others.

Something is going to have to work, unless you want to walk everywhere you go.

...and hope that you don't get a job that requires you to dress well.

Any job that requires you to dress well is going to pay you enough to buy decent clothes. Besides, it's not like you can't find dress clothes at Goodwill.

rexlunae

Put an ad in the paper -- ROOMMATE WANTED.

You can get free wi-fi just about anywhere nowadays -- even McDonald's. Or you can go to the library. I don't consider mobile phones essential, as I've never had one, nor do I ever plan on getting one. I get by just fine with a land line.

Any job that requires you to dress well is going to pay you enough to buy decent clothes. Besides, it's not like you can't find dress clothes at Goodwill.

Much the same as what res said. I'm not going to answer it twice.

There is no virtue in this austerity attitude. The rich should have to share the economic gains with the people who actually produce them, and the government has a moral duty to prevent workers from being unfairly exploited.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
The rich should have to share the economic gains with the people who actually produce them,

They do, no one has to accept a job offer. If you agreed to a certain wage, you agreed.

If what you agree to, doesn't pay your way, you get a second job, a roommate, mow grass, do odd jobs, go to school on a grant- or work really hard at the job you accepted and move up to make more $.

A fast food job isnt designed to support a family.

Oh and for the brainiac in this thread who said if they cant pay what people need to support a family they shouldn't be in business, what kind of idiot thinks any solution is to have less business?

The Berean

We have an engineering intern who is a millennial, you know those supposed lazy and entitled group of young people? She rides her bike to work 10 miles each way, EVERY day. Another engineering coworker rides her bike to work every day and she lives 13 miles from work.

Alate_One

Life isn't fair so do your best with what you have. Share with others and pool resources.

And if people thought that way 100 years ago, we'd still have 7 day work weeks, 12 hour workdays, child labor and people injured and dying from unsafe working conditions.

The interests of the employer are not always the interests of the workers. If workers don't organize, they can be abused by unscrupulous employers. In a way the pendulum has swung the other way, there need to be more protests, not fewer.

Minimum wage workers are supported by government programs. Many companies that pay minimum wage could afford to pay workers more.

PureX

Go to the Library in your spare time and learn something useful.
Right, because poor people don't deserve justice. Not until they get a job that won't pay their bills, doing work that no one respects. Because that would be really stupid and unfair, and that's the way we LIKE it!