Fast Food workers protest and demand more money.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
So another pro-life until after they're born eh?
How many kids one has or doesnt have, has nothing to do with the conversation, and has nothing to do with how much a certain job should pay, the job pays according the kind of work it is, not according to each vastly different persons lifestyle is that works there.

All you are doing with your poorly constructed argument is show that your thinking is severely flawed and you have no real argument which is why you have to create diversions to begin with.

Is it the child's fault their mother had more children than she could support?

And she gets to be saddled with debt, usually, for the pleasure of doing it. And we should be realistic, not everyone is cut out for college.

Are you saying the fast food place should watch her children?

And honestly? $15 an hour isn't ridiculous. The point of a minimum wage is to put a bottom on the labor market. The bottom should be a living wage, not a wage that forces people onto government assistance. Then the government is basically subsidizing the business' profit margin.

All irrelevant to the discussion, type of job dictates wage, not family dynamic. Its not ones employers responsibility to take care of your family, thats your job.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I don't need to start a business. I have a good-paying job. I also was born into a fair amount of middle-class privilege that not everyone has access to.

Sadly all most of you pipe dream extreme liberals, don't need to start one either, you all like to tell everyone how something should be that you have NO experience in or any clue about.

You all dont start businesses because you know good and well with your business model, the only sign out in front of them will read:

going-out-of-business.jpg

And this includes your employees jobs but then of course they can eat better with no job than a low paying one, according to your logic.

bybee

Sadly all most of you pipe dream extreme liberals, don't need to start one either, you all like to tell everyone how something should be that you have NO experience in or any clue about.

You all dont start businesses because you know good and well with your business model, the only sign out in front of them will read:

going-out-of-business.jpg

And this includes your employees jobs but then of course they can eat better with no job than a low paying one, according to your logic.
So true!

rexlunae

And where does your experience come from on this count, Angel? You run a business? You pay minimum wage?

Most people don't start businesses. A highly organized economy pretty much demands that most people work for someone instead of for themselves or directly for customers.

Ok, so if my understanding is so flawed, explain why half the time when we have raised the minimum wage in the past, the unemployment rate falls faster.

rexlunae

Have you asked the question, how long do people stay at minimum wage? Which employees earn raises?

Well, the fact that the average age of minimum wage earner is rising seems to indicate that there are more people trapped in low-wage jobs later in life. I don't think whbch employees earn raises is as relevant as the percent of workers who do. That tends to indicate how many better jobs the economy is creating.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
And where does your experience come from on this count, Angel? You run a business? You pay minimum wage?
I cannot afford to open a business but i would if i could. (perhaps some really rich company should pay me enough to start one because thats what *I* want for my family :think:)

I fully understand the business model of a fast food place as it operates today, would i pay the minimum? No, because i would want little to no turnover and quality workers (most fast food workers lack quality and dont even earn the minimum imo) who actually want to work for what they make. But i wouldnt pay according to their family dynamic either, its not my job to take care of someone elses family, its my job to pay someone what they earn commensurate to the job, not their lifes dynamic. I would plan to stay in business - not lose it so i can be some employees mamma.

Ok, so if my understanding is so flawed, explain why half the time when we have raised the minimum wage in the past, the unemployment rate falls faster.

Explain why the cost of living keeps going up if its working so well?

bybee

Well, the fact that the average age of minimum wage earner is rising seems to indicate that there are more people trapped in low-wage jobs later in life.

I'm thinking many people see their jobs as opportunity not as trapped.
You are looking at this as a progressive spoiled brat who has had things handed to him on a platter and out of the goodness of other peoples pocket books you wish to spread the largesse.
Most people are grateful to have a job. If they can they earn raises. If they can they acquire skills for advancement.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
You are looking at this as a progressive spoiled brat who has had things handed to him on a platter and out of the goodness of other peoples pocket books you wish to spread the largesse.
Most people are grateful to have a job. If they can they earn raises. If they can they acquire skills for advancement.

Nailed it.

Alate_One

How many kids one has or doesnt have, has nothing to do with the conversation, and has nothing to do with how much a certain job should pay, the job pays according the kind of work it is, not according to each vastly different persons lifestyle is that works there.

All you are doing with your poorly constructed argument is show that your thinking is severely flawed and you have no real argument which is why you have to create diversions to begin with.

You say it should have nothing to do with what the job pays. But when you're talking about minimum wage, you're talking about what you want to set as a minimum standard.

It's not a pronouncement that every job should pay the same or jobs should pay a person according to how many children they have.

But, I think it's pretty rational to say the minimum wage should be set so relatively few people on it need government assistance, that would take into account the number of families of families overall using minimum wage .

All irrelevant to the discussion, type of job dictates wage, not family dynamic. Its not ones employers responsibility to take care of your family, thats your job.
This is a value judgement that not everyone will share with you. Stating it as if it were a fact, does not make it one.

And pretending that the only thing that dictates wage is "type of job" is naive. More education doesn't necessarily mean higher pay. Pay scales often have little to do with the difficulty or education level required for a job. Workers can influence pay by banding together and demanding better.

If they demand $15 per hour, maybe they'll get 9. That would at least put the minimum wage back to historical levels.

mishel-minwage-4ad.png.608

And index it to inflation while we're at it . . .

rexlunae

I cannot afford to open a business but i would if i could.

And you're too busy working for The Man. :)

I fully understand the business model of a fast food place as it operates today, would i pay the minimum? No, because i would want little to no turnover and quality workers (most fast food workers lack quality and dont even earn the minimum imo) who actually want to work for what they make. But i wouldnt pay according to their family dynamic either, its not my job to take care of someone elses family, its my job to pay someone what they earn commensurate to the job, not their lifes dynamic. I would plan to stay in business - not lose it so i can be some employees mamma.

So, you're a manager at a fast food restaurant? I think it's pretty absurd to claim that you fully understand the business model if you don't have some real serious experience in that field.

I really don't know what sense it makes for you to criticize me for my supposed lack of experience running a business when you don't have any. Knight might have some grounds there, we'll see.

Explain why the cost of living keeps going up if its working so well?

Well, it can't be the minimum wage, can it? It goes up regardless of what happens with the minimum wage. Inflation is built in to most healthy economies. And within certain bounds, it's a good thing. It's a sign of growth.

Now would you answer my question, please? No more distractions. Explain why half the time when we have raised the minimum wage in the past, the unemployment rate falls faster.

rexlunae

If you polled everyone who works in a minimum-wage job and asked how many of them would like to earn more, how many do you think would say no?

And you are looking at this like someone who was born a slave, raised a slave, trained to be a slave, who doesn't know any other system. There is enough in this country for everyone to eat, to go to good schools without becoming someone else's cash cow for decades, to have proper modern health care without going into debt to pay for it, and to have a place to live in reasonable security. The fact that we don't all have those things is a fundamental structural failure of our society, not a failure of individual character, and it will never be solved on an individual basis.

And if they can't?

PureX

There is enough in this country for everyone to eat, to go to good schools without becoming someone else's cash cow for decades, to have proper modern health care without going into debt to pay for it, and to have a place to live in reasonable security. The fact that we don't all have those things is a fundamental structural failure of our society, not a failure of individual character, and it will never be solved on an individual basis.
The folks you are debating with DON'T WANT this to be solved. They want it to stay the way it is. They want there to be winners and losers, and plenty of people who suffer as they have suffered. They have tied their own identities and value as human beings to their own suffering, and now cannot bear to see it vanquished or avoided by others.

Skybringr

BANNED
Banned
What happened to active protest :idunno:

If you all have such a problem with fast food workers demanding more wages, then why not just boycott the restaurants?

And the same with fast food workers- if the wages aren't satisfactory, go on strike!

rexlunae

The folks you are debating with DON'T WANT this to be solved. They want it to stay the way it is. They want there to be winners and losers, and plenty of people who suffer as they have suffered. They have tied their own identities and value as human beings to their own suffering, and now cannot bear to see it vanquished or avoided by others.

I don't have a problem with there being "winners and losers", relatively speaking. I just want to make sure that the "losers" aren't left in complete abjection.

But I think that you are largely right, otherwise.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
There is no way that the people at the top of the economic pile in the US generally worked their way to the top. And there's no good reason that only the top should prosper in this country. If you are working, there is no reason that you should not be pretty comfortable.
If you want to prosper then work for it. Earn it.

You can rest assured that none of the people arguing for a higher minimum wage have ever owned a small business.

They literally have no clue.
It's pretty telling they're looking at the bigger picture of the forest and not the trees that are being cut down. They're completely ignorant of the details.