Fast Food workers protest and demand more money.

whitestone

can anybody explain why an unskilled entry level worker doing a job that you could train a chimp to do shouldn't be happy making $16,640 a year, a wage that can allow them to live comfortably and bank $6000?

depends on how many children they have and what town they live in. For example at(from your figures) they make 1386.66 a month,,if they are single and live in a rural town and pay 500.00 rent they are o.k.,,,,,,,,If they live in a large city and pay 1386.00 a month for an apartment and have 5 children they have 66 cents left after rent,so their wife works and pays the rest of the bills,,,and they qualify for s.n.a.p.(food stamps),,,,

whitestone

The Bible - which you do not believe and so are a colossal hypocrite for even citing - says if a man will not work, neither should he eat. That principle applies here: if you don't like the pay you make at Job A, improve your skills/attitude/hygiene and shoot for the better paying Job B. But if you're not WILLING to improve yourself, you have no right to expect the owner at Job A to pay you whatever YOU are told you are worth, precious snowflake. That's how robots end up flipping burgers and putting you out on the street to enjoy some Obama-era funemployment.

Which brings up another factoid often overlooked: Jobs do not "belong" to the person performing them UNLESS he/she runs his/her own business. In most cases, that job you do belongs to whoever runs the business, NOT YOU. That means unless otherwise contracted or regulated by existing laws, you have no intrinsic rights to ANYTHING therein. Not yours.

I dunno,,,if you go to Williston North Dakota you could rake in 60-80,000 a year flipping burgers,,,,,,,

PureX

I hear you. Just astonishes me how these people can be consistently and utterly wrong on everything that matters. It's like they go out of their way to do exactly the opposite of what they were commanded to do.
I can only conclude that the TOL version of Christianity is NOT based on a love for God, ourselves, and each other. If it were, the defining factor in these discussions about political or economic policy would be human well-being. And clearly, the well-being of our fellow humans is not even a consideration, here, for most of these Christians. It's their conservative ideology. Their hearts, their minds, and their behaviors are all being controlled by their conservative ideology. It is their religion. And it is their 'God'.

I just hope they are not endemic of Christianity, in general. Because that would be a very frightening prospect.

99lamb

I wonder how many of these burger flippers protesting for higher wages, if THEY owned a burger joint would pay someone $15.00 an hour to deep fry fries, flip burgers and get soda?

musterion

I wonder how many of these burger flippers protesting for higher wages, if THEY owned a burger joint would pay someone $15.00 an hour to deep fry fries, flip burgers and get soda?

Good question, but moot. The ones represented on this thread are leftists, so they have great difficulty thinking in abstractions like that one, or they are emotionally autistic, preventing them from even trying to empathize with others.

99lamb

Amazing how the foundational argument is never addressed by Liberals, but rather the emotional appeal to fairness.
The basis of the debate is whether or not the Government should be involved in dictating what a privately owned business should and or could pay their employees.
That is the starting point for any further discussion.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
Amazing how the foundational argument is never addressed by Liberals, but rather the emotional appeal to fairness.
The basis of the debate is whether or not the Government should be involved in dictating what a privately owned business should and or could pay their employees.
That is the starting point for any further discussion.

this is approaching it as an exercise in logic

to those ruled by their emotions, the starting point is "but what about the children?"

99lamb

this is approaching it as an exercise in logic

to those ruled by their emotions, the starting point is "but what about the children?"

what about the children
anti_eat_1.jpg

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
My hat's off to you and Barbarian for being able to stay in it and keep trying to inject some reality into the insanity. I just can't do it.

The key is to remember that most people who advocate business owners keeping most of the value of their employees' labor really believe that they are doing something good for society.

Sort of like natural selection, applied to human society.

Such people aren't, most of them, evil. They've just convinced themselves that greed is good.

On unfortunate by-product is that as you notice here, many of them regard low-wage employees as something less than fully human.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Regarding the argument that wealthy people started out on the bottom and worked their way up:

No.1
Bill Gates:
Gates was born in Seattle, Washington, in an upper-middle-class family to William H. Gates, Sr. and Mary Maxwell Gates. His ancestral origin includes English, German, and Scots-Irish.[17][18] His father was a prominent lawyer, and his mother served on the board of directors for First Interstate BancSystem and the United Way. Gates's maternal grandfather was JW Maxwell, a national bank president.

No. 2
Warren Buffett:
Buffett was born in 1930 in Omaha, Nebraska, the second of three children and only son of U.S. congressman Howard Buffett,[14] a fierce critic of the interventionist New Deal domestic and foreign policy

No. 3
Larry Ellison
Larry Ellison was born in New York City to an unwed Jewish mother. His father was an Italian American US Air Force pilot.

No. 4
Charles Koch was born to the president of an Oil Corporation, which after he inherited it, was renamed Koch Industries.

No. 5
David Koch
Same as brother Charles

(series of Waltons, all of whom inherited wealth)

Seems like about one in ten, if you got to the top of Forbes list.