Does the Sun Move According to the Bible?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
If the Earth is not the center of the universe, what does that do to your faith?

Absolutely nothing.

My faith is in Christ Jesus, not geocentrism.

For me, it makes no difference.

Ok

Regardless of which model you choose, it is God's creation and He is absolutely sovereign.

But you have chosen the model that is contrary to scripture.

If neither model can be proven true or false, why would you pick the model that is contrary to scripture?

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
The same reason if you didn't spin around, and the universe spun around you.

But how would somebody looking at your picture know the difference? Your picture does not prove the universe is rotating above you as it equally supports the Earth spinning in the universe.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Absolutely nothing.

My faith is in Christ Jesus, not geocentrism.

Ok

But you have chosen the model that is contrary to scripture.

If neither model can be proven true or false, why would you pick the model that is contrary to scripture?
Because helocentrisim is not contrary to scripture. From the point of view of an a observer on Earth in a heliocentric model, the description in scripture is perfectly consistent.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
But how would somebody looking at your picture know the difference?

I posted the picture in regards to Polaris.

Heliocentrism claims the earth tilts back and forth.

If the earth tilts back and forth, why is Polaris always directly above the North Pole?

I already know the answers heliocentrism gives. IMO, they are bogus answers.

Your picture does not prove the universe is rotating above you as it equally supports the Earth spinning in the universe.

Again, the picture was in regards to the earth tilting. It wasn't in regards to whether the earth was spinning or the universe spinning.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Because helocentrisim is not contrary to scripture. From the point of view of an a observer on Earth in a heliocentric model, the description in scripture is perfectly consistent.

How would the sun be able to stop in a helicentric model?

Does the earth stop spinning, or does the earth stop rotating around the sun?

Remember, heliocentrism claims the earth spins 1,000mph, and travels 68,000 mph, all while tilting back and forth.

(Joshua 10:13) ... The sun stopped in the middle of the sky and delayed going down about a full day.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
How would the sun be able to stop in a helicentric model?
The Earth stops rotating. A miricale showing God's power and authority over His creation.

Does the earth stop spinning, or does the earth stop rotating around the sun?
Almost stops spinning, the orbit is not effected.

Remember, heliocentrism claims the earth spins 1,000mph, and travels 68,000 mph, all while tilting back and forth.

(Joshua 10:13) ... The sun stopped in the middle of the sky and delayed going down about a full day.
Makes no difference when God decides to work a miricale.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame

If the earth tilts back and forth, why is Polaris always directly above the North Pole?

Your opinion carries no weight as it is not supported by observation.

The Earth does wobble but the wobble occurs over the course of a tear which is why we have seasonal changes in weather. A time lapse photo over a coup,e hours would not be able to record this.

Again, the picture was in regards to the earth tilting. It wasn't in regards to whether the earth was spinning or the universe spinning.
Then it was an incrediblely poor example. See immediately above.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Your opinion carries no weight as it is not supported by observation.

The Earth does wobble but the wobble occurs over the course of a tear which is why we have seasonal changes in weather. A time lapse photo over a coup,e hours would not be able to record this.

Then it was an incrediblely poor example. See immediately above.

If you take a picture of Polaris from the North Pole on the Winter Solstice, and then another one from the same spot on the Summer Solstice, Polaris and the stars around Polaris are in the same exact spot.

That was the point of the picture.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
If you take a picture of Polaris on the Winter Solstice, and then another one from the same spot on the Summer Solstice, Polaris and the stars around Polaris are in the same exact spot.

That was the point of the picture.

If your point of reference, Polaris in this case, is far enough away then simple geometry says it will appear as though the star has not moved. Appearances can be deceiving. If you have sensitive enough equipment you can measure movement. The human eye is far from sensitive enough. The camera used to take that picture is no different than a human eye. Try taking actual measurements at an observatory and then you will see the movement.

gcthomas

Nope. The earth doesn't tilt back and forth through the year - it has gyroscopic stability. The axis of rotation through the poles does not tilt back and forth. (it is a little different over a time scale of millennia due to complex gravitational interactions with other moving bodies)

What you consider trivially bogus is actually a product of your imagination. You are tilting at windmills again.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned

With this post, you have proven that you don't actually understand the science behind earth's movement. Here, watch these videos and educate yourself:

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
You must not have read my posts to which you are responding. The issue is not science here. The issue is proper interpretation of the Scripture text in question. I have provided it in my linked posts. It is not some metaphor, allegory, etc. Rather it is an historical account. Further, I do not use science, or scientific theories to validate verbal and plenary inspired Scripture. If Scripture says one thing and your science or whatever says something else, start anew beginning with what Scripture teaches. ;)

AMR

If Scripture says the earth is flat and your science or whatever says something else, start anew beginning with what Scripture teaches:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
With this post, you have proven that you don't actually understand the science behind earth's movement. Here, watch these videos and educate yourself:
Earth's motion around the Sun
[/CENTER]

Um.....did you even watch your own video?

In the second video starting at 9:27, it says exactly what I said about the earth tilting, and Polaris allegedly moving, when in fact it doesn't.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Um.....did you even watch your own video?

In the second video starting at 9:27, it says exactly what I said about the earth tilting, and Polaris allegedly moving, when in fact it doesn't.

I think you are actually referring to axial precession, which is discussed beginning at the 3:08 time-stamp in the video.

To quote Wikipedia: "In astronomy, axial precession is a gravity-induced, slow, and continuous change in the orientation of an astronomical body's rotational axis. In particular, it can refer to the slow and gradual shift in the orientation of Earth's axis of rotation in a cycle of approximately 26,000 years. Earth's precession was historically called the precession of the equinoxes, because the equinoxes moved westward along the ecliptic relative to the fixed stars, opposite to the yearly motion of the Sun along the ecliptic."

Over a period of about 26,000 years, the earth's axis traces out a circle in the sky. One result of this is that the north star changes over time. Currently Polaris is extremely well suited to mark the position of the north celestial pole, as Polaris is a moderately bright star with a visual magnitude of 2.1 (variable), and it is located about one degree from the pole. The previous pole star was Kochab, the brightest star in the bowl of the "Little Dipper," located 16 degrees from Polaris. It held that role from 1500 BCE to 500 CE. It was not quite as accurate in its day as Polaris is today. 5,000 years ago, the axis pointed to a star in the constellation Draco. And 12,000 years ago, the brilliant star Vega was the pole star. And because of the 26,000-year cycle, Vega will be the pole star again in 14,000 years.

The precession of the equinoxes is caused primarily by gravitational forces of the sun and the moon acting on the earth.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If Scripture says the earth is flat and your science or whatever says something else, start anew beginning with what Scripture teaches:

Nonsense. When I write "Scripture says" it is necessarily implied proper hermeneutical methods have been brought to bear. Your sarcasm and attempts at ridcule does nothing to move the discussion forward.

AMR

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Nonsense. When I write "Scripture says" it is necessarily implied proper hermeneutical methods have been brought to bear. Your sarcasm and attempts at ridcule does nothing to move the discussion forward.

When a weatherman tells his TV audience that the sun will rise at 7:00 AM tomorrow morning, most people know that it isn't the sun that rises but the earth that rotates. Others, who don't know any better, may take him literally.

The same thing happens with the Bible. Nowhere in the Bible does it overtly and definitively state that the sun revolves around the earth, but some interpret it that way. Likewise, nowhere in the Bible does it overtly and definitively state that the earth is flat and not a globe, but some interpret it that way. What "Scripture says" is a matter of personal interpretation, and personal interpretation differs from person to person.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
When a weatherman tells his TV audience that the sun will rise at 7:00 AM tomorrow morning, most people know that it isn't the sun that rises but the earth that rotates. Others, who don't know any better, may take him literally.

The same thing happens with the Bible. Nowhere in the Bible does it overtly and definitively state that the sun revolves around the earth, but some interpret it that way. Likewise, nowhere in the Bible does it overtly and definitively state that the earth is flat and not a globe, but some interpret it that way. What "Scripture says" is a matter of personal interpretation, and personal interpretation differs from person to person.

You clearly have not read my posts that were linked earlier. The passage in question is not phenomenological as none of the markers for such exist therein.

For example:
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4384754#post4384754

If you want to argue the interpetation then do so at the textual level using proper grammatical-historical hermeneutical methods. Asserting "I disagree" is not an argument anyone can work with. :AMR:

No, interpretation is not an individual prerogative. Scripture knows nothing of "Just Me and My Bible". Scripture is interpreted in community of the saints, who are admonished to confess what they hold dear from the patterns of sound Scripture (2 Tim. 1:13).

AMR

exminister

Earth rotates. Not center of universe.

Geocentrism wouldn't mean Big Bang didn't happen. It just started here.