Do you have to believe in the Trinity to be a Christian?

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic

Yup.

Jesus still speaking with the authority from the Father to even speak as him.

Too bad you don't know when he is speaking for and about God and when he is speaking of himself.

When you begin to learn these things you will know the Father and the Son.

:idea:

John 17:3 KJV

3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent .

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Yup.

Too bad you don't know when he is speaking for and about God and when he is speaking of himself.

3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent .

amen

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
and as usual you deflect and AVOID dealing with the real issue of what Jesus does say.
How soon we forget.

It was a mob of TOL posters who first got upset with Meshak because she quoted Jesus in the Bible at length on poverty and the destitute.

You pick and choose what you will accept and what you ignore. That is the true sign of a cult.
We all do that, young man.
Start making sense.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
So you only accept the words of Jesus in the Bible? The red words?
Most of the "red edition" New Testament quote everything that is said to be from Jesus. Careful readers of the Bible know he did not spout propositional theology and early Christian dogma. He taught in parables and uttered short, pithy one-liners all about the Kingdom of God. There is a profound, fundamental difference between the Jesus of history and the Christ of faith.

Where does Jesus say he could care less?
Jesus was a normative Jew. He did not claim to start a new religion. He pushed the envelope of his own faith. He did not have to "believe" in God: He KNEW God.

Apparently you don't understand the difference between metaphor and literal?
Give me a break. I am not the kind of Christian believer that takes the sacred language of the Bible literally. If I did, Jesus would school me so fast against any fundamentalist interpretation I could come up with that it would make my head spin!

Pay more attention to Jesus setting Nicodemus straight on this same issue. You will discover that Jesus was neither a literalist, a fundamentalist nor an evangelical.

Jesus as an American Christian didn't get started until the 1900s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fundamentals

You have never heard of Omnipresence, Omnipotence or Omniscient?
Not in the Bible I haven't. And you haven't either. The words are missing from the text.

Apple7

Yup.

Nope.

Nothing in the Greek indicates this at all.

Misplaced comma...

genuineoriginal

Of course it does, but you have shown a total lack of ability to grasp it and just saying what you do, as all your ilk does, means absolutely nothing.

You were taught to believe in the Trinity by the teachings of man, and because of that, you assume (incorrectly) that the Bible is the source of the teachings of the Trinity.

A careful reading of scripture to see what scripture actually says will always show that the scripture is completely silent about the Trinity.

You are unable to read what is written, which makes you unfit to teach.

genuineoriginal

Why should any Christian feel compelled to believe in the Trinity?
The word is not found anywhere in the Bible. It is a theological short-cut devised by later theologians.
This is a useless argument that is constantly refuted here and your know it. I personally have refuted it to you.
No, you haven't refuted that.

None of God's Omni attributes are verbalized in the Bible either, so why do you believe them?
A better question is if men claim that God has attributes that are not verbalized in the Bible, why in the world would you believe those men?

genuineoriginal

I read your post, and was completely unimpressed.
You are really going to have to do better than that.

The Book of Hebrews is aptly named for the OT material of which it contains.

Thus...the examples contained within its pages are from the Hebrew OT...NOT the Greek NT.
The Epistle to the Hebrews is named for the audience (Hebrew Christians), not for the Old Testament material that it uses from the Greek Septuagint (not the Hebrew Tanakh).

Secondly, the exact term and associated phraseology is already located in Heb 1.2 - 3, and pertains DIRECTLY to The Son.
I see you left off Hebrews 1:1, which directly refutes you claim.

Hebrews 1:1-3
1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high:​

In case you can't read it, it says God has now spoken unto us by His Son, the same Son that God has appointed to be heir of all things.

Thirdly, Heb 1.1 immediately informs the reader that the One God of the OT has always revealed Himself ‘by many portions’ (polymeros) and ‘in various forms’ (polytropos).

These two Greek terms are only used this one time/ea in the entirety of the Holy Bible, and lexically are defined as ‘One of the constituent parts of a whole; in a context where the whole and its parts are distinguished.’
πολυμερῶς polymerōs means "by many portions, by many times and in many ways"
πολυτρόπως polytropōs means "in many manners"

You are probably mistaking πολυμερῶς polymerōs with μέρος meros.

μέρος meros is one of the words parts in πολυμερῶς polymerōs (the other word is πολυ poly, a prefix meaning many).

μέρος meros is not found by itself in Hebrews 1:1, but is found in 43 other places in the Bible and none of them anything to do with the Trinity.

genuineoriginal

You have never heard of Omnipresence, Omnipotence or Omniscient?

I have heard of them.
They do not come from the Bible.
_____
Hellenistic philosophy and Christianity

It was not until the fusion of Platonic and Aristotelian theology with Christianity that the concepts of strict omnipotence, omniscience, or benevolence became commonplace. The Platonic Theory of Forms had an enormous influence on Hellenic Christian views of God. In those philosophies, Forms were the ideals of every object in the physical world, and objects in the physical world were merely shadows of those perfect forms. Platonic philosophers were able to theorize about the forms by looking at objects in the material world, and imagining what the "Perfect" tree, or "Perfect" man would be. The Aristotelian view of God grew from these Platonic roots, arguing that God was the Infinite, or the Unmoved mover.

Hellenic Christians and their medieval successors then applied this Form-based philosophy to the Christian God. Philosophers took all the things that they considered good, Power, Love, Knowledge and Size, and posited that God was "infinite" in all these respects. They then concluded that God was omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent and omnibenevolent. Since God was perfect, any change would make him less than perfect, so they asserted that God was unchanging, or immutable.
_____​

StanJ

No, you haven't refuted that.

A better question is if men claim that God has attributes that are not verbalized in the Bible, why in the world would you believe those men?

Your concurrence is not required, and all those attributes are depicted in the Bible. Of course you never actually answer a direct question. You either can't read or refuse to see them if the actual word is not there.
Do you believe God created time? Why?

StanJ

You were taught to believe in the Trinity by the teachings of man, and because of that, you assume (incorrectly) that the Bible is the source of the teachings of the Trinity.

A careful reading of scripture to see what scripture actually says will always show that the scripture is completely silent about the Trinity.

You are unable to read what is written, which makes you unfit to teach.

I was taught to properly read the Bible, and unless you are claiming to be God, you have no idea what I was taught or learned.

and yet you fail to see it in one of the very first verses in it, Gen 1:26-27, but I've had this conversation with your before ,and you are as ignorant now as you were then.

I don't teach, I confess and agree with God and His word. YOU do neither, except strive about words to the detriment and subversion of true believers.

Last edited: