Did Christ know He was fully God?

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
These are the proper understandings concerning the subordination of God the Son:

(1) the subordination of the Son and the Spirit is temporary and functional, for the period and purpose of their special ministry in the accomplishment and application of salvation to the human race;
AMR

No.

1Co 15:27 For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.
1Co 15:28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

LA

Zeke

What say you?

He represented the inner man/Divine Seed/Light John 1:9 where eternity dwells/implanted in all men born of the flesh Philippians 2:5-8 our Divine imputation/light had no beginning like it does in the flesh/shadow John 1:1, Matt 11:11 is the clue to which son Jesus/Christ represented which was born from above but asleep in man Ephesians 5:14, and like the inner man in prison/grave/tomb the inner man could do nothing of himself while in bondage Romans seven and the tale of Joseph only the Father/unconditional love could free him from that grave/death Luke 15:22-24, the place that has no need of a God over himself once Galatians 4:1 is no longer you're state of mind stuck in the physical senses that beguile the prodigal sons for awhile until you awake to who you are that Jesus portrayed Galatians 3:1-5, or stay in observable bondage to time awaiting another Matt 11:3/flesh instead of Spirit/Luke 17:20-21.

oatmeal

Nope, nobody bothered to consider that scripture or the other scriptures where Jesus says He only does and speaks His Father's will. You are the first.

John 10:30 KJV - I and my Father are one.

What do you think the Bible is telling us?

I have no problem reconciling John 10:30 and "I can of myself do nothing" from John 5

God who is all powerful can of himself do nothing?

You need to check the context of John 10:30

and while you are at it, check I Corinthians 3:8 and its context.

8 Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.

What does John 10:30 say about I and the Father are:

a. God

b. two members of the holy trinity, but I don't know why the Holy Spirit is not one with us two

c. one

What does John 10:30 say?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I have no problem reconciling John 10:30 and "I can of myself do nothing" from John 5

God who is all powerful can of himself do nothing?

You need to check the context of John 10:30

and while you are at it, check I Corinthians 3:8 and its context.

8 Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.

What does John 10:30 say about I and the Father are:

a. God

b. two members of the holy trinity, but I don't know why the Holy Spirit is not one with us two

c. one

What does John 10:30 say?
The Word is God and the Word became flesh. A 1st grader could grasp that.

oatmeal

The Word is God and the Word became flesh. A 1st grader could grasp that.
So please answer the question. What does John 10:30 say?

God can of himself do nothing?

Must be that your god is powerless? Or you simply cannot accept that Jesus is not God the Son but the son of God.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I am still waiting for you to acknowledge what John 10:30 states. Please reread the multiple choice question I presented and answer it
How can I answer any better than you've been told here for years? If I try to put in my own words I can't convince you. Please read this, maybe it will help you and @keypurr.

Someone has said it this way: If you try to explain the Trinity, you will lose your mind. But if you deny it, you will lose your soul. Let's take a look at the defintion of the Trinity and what the role of the Trinity is today
The Trinity Defined

There are many places we might go to find a suitable definition. Any of the great ecumenical creeds would serve us well in this regard. However, let's stick closer to home and simply reprint Article B—The True God from the Calvary Memorial Church Articles of Faith.
We believe in one living and true God who is the Creator of heaven and earth; who is eternal, almighty, unchangeable, infinitely powerful, wise, just and holy.
We believe that the one God eternally exists in three Persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit; and that these three are one God, co-equal and co-eternal, having precisely the same nature and attributes, and worthy of precisely the same worship, confidence, and obedience. Matthew 3:16, 17;Matthew 28:19, 20; Mark 12:29; John 1:14; Acts 5:3, 4; II Corinthians 13:14.
While I am sure that this statement is biblically accurate, I also understand that it can seem very intimidating. Let's break it down into six smaller statements about the trinity that's easier to understand:

• One God and One Only
  • Exists in three Persons
  • Equal and Eternal
  • Worthy of equal praise and worship
  • Distinct yet acting in unity
  • Constituting the one true God of the Bible
As you might imagine, the early church struggled mightily over this doctrine. They eventually reduced their belief in the Trinity to two short statements. They concluded that God is …

• One in Essence
  • Three in Person
When we say these things we mean that the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God, but they are not three gods but only one God. The Father is not the Son, the Son is not the Spirit, the Spirit is not the Father, but each is God individually and yet they are together the one true God of the Bible.
Have you ever seen the word "Godhead?" Theologians sometimes use that term when they want to refer to God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit as three divine Persons in one God.
At this point I think we should acknowledge the chief objection to the doctrine of the Trinity, which is that it is absurd. Sometimes the Jehovah's Witnesses (who pointedly deny the Trinity) ridicule it with this little equation: 1 + 1 + 1 = 3. In their minds Christians worship three Gods, not one. The answer is quite simple. The doctrine of the Trinity is not absurd if that's what the Bible teaches. Furthermore, there is more than one way to play with equations. You could also say it this way: 1 x 1 x 1 = 1!
The Trinity Explained

What exactly do we mean when we speak of the Trinity? Let's start with the negative and work toward the positive.
A. What we don't mean
First of all, Christians don't believe in three Gods. That's a heresy called Tritheism. Second, we don't believe that the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit are three "forms" of God—like, steam, water and ice. That's the heresy called Modalism. Third, we don't believe that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are "parts" or "pieces" or God. That would imply that Jesus is 1/3rd God, the Father is 1/3rd God, and the Holy Spirit is 1/3rd God.

B. Where do we find the Trinity doctrine in the Bible?
I would answer that the Trinity is taught in both the Old and the New Testaments. It is taught by implication in the Old and by direct statement in the New.

For instance, the Bible contains numerous clear statements regarding the unity of God: Deuteronomy 6:4 tells us that "the Lord is one." 1 Corinthians 8:4 adds that "there is no God but one." 1 Timothy 2:5 explicitly says "there is one God." All Christians heartily affirm this truth.
However, the Bible also contains clear statements regarding diversity within that unity. For instance, in the very first verse of the Bible we are told that "In the beginning God." The Hebrew word for God is elohim, which is actually a plural form of the word el. It's a word that in other contexts is sometimes translated as "gods," referring to heathen deities. Later in the same chapter we have one of the most striking statements of diversity-in-unity:
Then God said, ‘‘Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground." So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. Genesis 1:26-27
Notice the shift in pronouns. "Let us … in our image … So God created man in his own image. … he created him." From us and our to he. Why the shift? Commentators speak of a literary form called the plural of majesty or the "editorial we." This much is certainly true. If Genesis 1 does not explicitly teach diversity-in-unity within the Godhead, it certainly leaves room for it to be developed later in the Bible.
Isaiah 48:16 seems to explicitly refer to all three Persons of the Trinity (with my additions in parentheses): "And now the Sovereign LORD (the Father) has sent me (the Son), with his Spirit (the Holy Spirit)." I'm not suggesting that Isaiah fully understood the Trinity or that the Jewish readers would have understood what it meant, but I do think that in the light of the New Testament, we can say that this seems to be a clear statement of the Trinity in the Old Testament.
Consider further this line of evidence. All Three Persons are called God in different places in the Bible.

How could the Son and the Spirit be called God unless they somehow share in God's essence? But if they share in God's essence, they are God alongside the Father.
Finally, all three Persons are associated together on an equal basis in numerous passages:

• Jesus' baptism—Matthew 3:13-17 (voice of the Father, Son baptized, Spirit descending like a dove).
  • Salvation—1 Peter 1:2 (chosen by the Father, sanctified by the Spirit, sprinkled with the blood of Jesus).
  • Sanctification—2 Corinthians 13:14 (grace of the Lord Jesus, love of God, fellowship of the Holy Spirit).
  • Christian Baptism—Matthew 28:19 (baptized in one name, yet three Persons—Father, Son, and Holy Spirit).
  • Prayer—Ephesians 3:14-21 (strengthened by his Spirit, know the love of Christ, filled with the fullness of God).
  • Christian Growth—2 Thessalonians 2:13 (chosen by God, loved by the Lord, sanctified by the Spirit).
This list of passages might be extended. It simply shows how easily the writers of Scripture passed from one Person of the Trinity to another, doing so in a way that assumes their equality of nature while preserving their distinct personhood. If the doctrine of the Trinity is not true, it would seem to be blasphemy to speak so freely of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit in one and the same breath.
The Trinity Examined

In this section of the message I want to examine some of the common questions about the Trinity.
A. Where in the Bible do you find the word Trinity?
The word "Trinity" is not in the Bible. Neither is the word "Inerrancy" but we don't discard it simply because it isn't found in the Bible. The issue is not the word, but the concept or the idea. We don't believe in the Trinity because of the word, but because of what the Bible teaches.

B. Is there another word we could use?
Yes there is. Theologians sometimes speak of the Tri-Unity of God. That's a good word—even though it sounds odd to our ears—because it combines the two ideas of unity and diversity in one word. There is a third word you should know. Sometimes we speak of the "Triune" God. That's also another word that means the same thing as Trinity.

C. How can we illustrate the Trinity?
A number of illustrations have been suggested. They all are useful as long as you remember they are only illustrations. For water can exist as solid, liquid, or steam. That's okay, but usually water only exists in one state at a time. However, there is a physical condition in which water can exist as solid, liquid and steam at the same time—which would be a much better illustration of the Trinity.

https://www.christianity.com/god/trinity/god-in-three-persons-a-doctrine-we-barely-understand-11634405.html

oatmeal

How can I answer any better than you've been told here for years? If I try to put in my own words I can't convince you. Please read this, maybe it will help you and @keypurr.

Someone has said it this way: If you try to explain the Trinity, you will lose your mind. But if you deny it, you will lose your soul. Let's take a look at the defintion of the Trinity and what the role of the Trinity is today
The Trinity Defined

There are many places we might go to find a suitable definition. Any of the great ecumenical creeds would serve us well in this regard. However, let's stick closer to home and simply reprint Article B—The True God from the Calvary Memorial Church Articles of Faith.
We believe in one living and true God who is the Creator of heaven and earth; who is eternal, almighty, unchangeable, infinitely powerful, wise, just and holy.
We believe that the one God eternally exists in three Persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit; and that these three are one God, co-equal and co-eternal, having precisely the same nature and attributes, and worthy of precisely the same worship, confidence, and obedience. Matthew 3:16, 17;Matthew 28:19, 20; Mark 12:29; John 1:14; Acts 5:3, 4; II Corinthians 13:14.
While I am sure that this statement is biblically accurate, I also understand that it can seem very intimidating. Let's break it down into six smaller statements about the trinity that's easier to understand:

• One God and One Only
  • Equal and Eternal
As you might imagine, the early church struggled mightily over this doctrine. They eventually reduced their belief in the Trinity to two short statements. They concluded that God is …

• One in Essence
  • Three in Person
When we say these things we mean that the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God, but they are not three gods but only one God. The Father is not the Son, the Son is not the Spirit, the Spirit is not the Father, but each is God individually and yet they are together the one true God of the Bible.
Have you ever seen the word "Godhead?" Theologians sometimes use that term when they want to refer to God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit as three divine Persons in one God.
At this point I think we should acknowledge the chief objection to the doctrine of the Trinity, which is that it is absurd. Sometimes the Jehovah's Witnesses (who pointedly deny the Trinity) ridicule it with this little equation: 1 + 1 + 1 = 3. In their minds Christians worship three Gods, not one. The answer is quite simple. The doctrine of the Trinity is not absurd if that's what the Bible teaches. Furthermore, there is more than one way to play with equations. You could also say it this way: 1 x 1 x 1 = 1!
The Trinity Explained

What exactly do we mean when we speak of the Trinity? Let's start with the negative and work toward the positive.
A. What we don't mean
First of all, Christians don't believe in three Gods. That's a heresy called Tritheism. Second, we don't believe that the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit are three "forms" of God—like, steam, water and ice. That's the heresy called Modalism. Third, we don't believe that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are "parts" or "pieces" or God. That would imply that Jesus is 1/3rd God, the Father is 1/3rd God, and the Holy Spirit is 1/3rd God.

I would answer that the Trinity is taught in both the Old and the New Testaments. It is taught by implication in the Old and by direct statement in the New.

For instance, the Bible contains numerous clear statements regarding the unity of God: Deuteronomy 6:4 tells us that "the Lord is one." 1 Corinthians 8:4 adds that "there is no God but one." 1 Timothy 2:5 explicitly says "there is one God." All Christians heartily affirm this truth.
However, the Bible also contains clear statements regarding diversity within that unity. For instance, in the very first verse of the Bible we are told that "In the beginning God." The Hebrew word for God is elohim, which is actually a plural form of the word el. It's a word that in other contexts is sometimes translated as "gods," referring to heathen deities. Later in the same chapter we have one of the most striking statements of diversity-in-unity:
Then God said, ‘‘Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground." So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. Genesis 1:26-27
Notice the shift in pronouns. "Let us … in our image … So God created man in his own image. … he created him." From us and our to he. Why the shift? Commentators speak of a literary form called the plural of majesty or the "editorial we." This much is certainly true. If Genesis 1 does not explicitly teach diversity-in-unity within the Godhead, it certainly leaves room for it to be developed later in the Bible.
Isaiah 48:16 seems to explicitly refer to all three Persons of the Trinity (with my additions in parentheses): "And now the Sovereign LORD (the Father) has sent me (the Son), with his Spirit (the Holy Spirit)." I'm not suggesting that Isaiah fully understood the Trinity or that the Jewish readers would have understood what it meant, but I do think that in the light of the New Testament, we can say that this seems to be a clear statement of the Trinity in the Old Testament.
Consider further this line of evidence. All Three Persons are called God in different places in the Bible.

How could the Son and the Spirit be called God unless they somehow share in God's essence? But if they share in God's essence, they are God alongside the Father.
Finally, all three Persons are associated together on an equal basis in numerous passages:

• Jesus' baptism—Matthew 3:13-17 (voice of the Father, Son baptized, Spirit descending like a dove).
  • Salvation—1 Peter 1:2 (chosen by the Father, sanctified by the Spirit, sprinkled with the blood of Jesus).
  • Sanctification—2 Corinthians 13:14 (grace of the Lord Jesus, love of God, fellowship of the Holy Spirit).
  • Christian Baptism—Matthew 28:19 (baptized in one name, yet three Persons—Father, Son, and Holy Spirit).
  • Prayer—Ephesians 3:14-21 (strengthened by his Spirit, know the love of Christ, filled with the fullness of God).
  • Christian Growth—2 Thessalonians 2:13 (chosen by God, loved by the Lord, sanctified by the Spirit).
This list of passages might be extended. It simply shows how easily the writers of Scripture passed from one Person of the Trinity to another, doing so in a way that assumes their equality of nature while preserving their distinct personhood. If the doctrine of the Trinity is not true, it would seem to be blasphemy to speak so freely of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit in one and the same breath.
The Trinity Examined

In this section of the message I want to examine some of the common questions about the Trinity.
The word "Trinity" is not in the Bible. Neither is the word "Inerrancy" but we don't discard it simply because it isn't found in the Bible. The issue is not the word, but the concept or the idea. We don't believe in the Trinity because of the word, but because of what the Bible teaches.

Yes there is. Theologians sometimes speak of the Tri-Unity of God. That's a good word—even though it sounds odd to our ears—because it combines the two ideas of unity and diversity in one word. There is a third word you should know. Sometimes we speak of the "Triune" God. That's also another word that means the same thing as Trinity.

A number of illustrations have been suggested. They all are useful as long as you remember they are only illustrations. For water can exist as solid, liquid, or steam. That's okay, but usually water only exists in one state at a time. However, there is a physical condition in which water can exist as solid, liquid and steam at the same time—which would be a much better illustration of the Trinity.

https://www.christianity.com/god/trinity/god-in-three-persons-a-doctrine-we-barely-understand-11634405.html

Wow! that is an awful lot of typing if you typed that rather than copying and pasting.

You are right! about this:

If you try to explain the Trinity, you will lose your mind.

Since you attempt to explain the trinity like most trinitarians here, all of you have clearly lost your minds

You have sown confusion instead of the truth rightly divided.

However, for all that effort to avoid answering my question, you still avoid answering my question, which tells me that you realize that my questions casts serious proof that the "fully God" hypothesis is erroneous.

Why not face the truth and admit that being one with the Father does not make anyone God, after all, wouldn't you want to be one with the Father even as Jesus did, John 14:12.

I know I would

If Jesus is fully God as you would like to believe then you have an all powerful God who states "I can of myself do nothing" Jesus by his own testimony, which is not actually his own for the Father showed him what to do and to say, states that He is powerless. It is His Father, who is the one true God that gave him access to that power Acts 10:38

oatmeal

Hello Patrick Jane,

I am still waiting for your direct reply to my questions.

Hello?

Is anyone out there?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
There are those who claim that just refers to God having given Him the power to do so. :idunno:

I've heard people say that His humanity kept Him from knowing the extent of His Deity, and that's why He didn't make it clear. That He didn't display any Divine attributes at all.

I figure bringing back someone to life after he was dead for several days would be a divine attribute. Returning to life after being several days dead Himself, even more so.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I'm not suggesting that Isaiah fully understood the Trinity or that the Jewish readers would have understood what it meant

To fully understand the Trinity would be to fully understand God. Which is far beyond our abilities. Some things are mysteries and will be so if and until He shows us Himself.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Spoiler

The Trinity Defined

• One God and One Only
  • Equal and Eternal

• One in Essence
  • Three in Person
The Trinity Explained

A. What we don't mean

The Trinity Examined

Your link isn't working properly...

aa2f5bb26ff482a41172d95b3dc96c64.jpg

oatmeal

I'm sorry you don't understand, pray for understanding and spiritual discernment. I'm confident that God will show you before you die.

So, you avoid the questions again.

What a pitifully erroneous doctrine when the adherents cannot answer a simple question.

Here's another one.

Since Jesus said, "I can of myself do nothing" how does that indicate that he thought he was fully God?

What a pitifully unscriptural doctrine

oatmeal

Well, since the trinitarian doctrine requires a "dual nature" in order for Jesus to be both God and a human, maybe God part knew that the God part was fully God, but the human part did not know? After all, would God say of himself," I can of myself do nothing"?

However, since all of God's creation is dependent on God for its very existence, even the crowning achievement of God's six days of restoration, Genesis 1, that is man and woman, would not be without God.

Even so, Jesus Christ.

However, referring to the contradictory nature of "dual nature" how could the human part of Jesus be the God part of Jesus? If they are one, then you do not have a dual nature, but if you do have a dual nature, then the human part was a product of the God part.

The human part was not God,then Jesus was not fully God if he had a dual nature.

Why not start afresh? Why not simply let scripture speak for itself?

Why not simply believe Jesus simple statement, "I can of myself do nothing"?

Why not let God be God and let God's son be the son of God?