Coral Ridge Ministries and CSI

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Originally posted by Stratnerd

but is this what it says?

I gave you the cite for the article. I don't have access to Science online so I can't post it, not like it would have any weight as to what it actually says (according to aharvey, anyway). I got the info of the findings from other news outlets.

What guesswork or you talking about and how would a creationist have a superior "guess" on noncoding DNA sequences?

Basically they said the same thing they did when they were "suprised" by how different chimps and humans are. Only differnce is, they thought humans and these different kinds of animals would be different and were "suprised" how exactly the same they were.

*~WARNING THE FOLLOWING DOES NOT HAVE ANY NEWS MERIT JUDGING BY AHARVEY'S NEWS STANDARD~*

Hundreds of stretches of DNA may be so critical to life's machinery that they have been “ultra-conserved” throughout hundreds of millions of years of evolution. Researchers have found precisely the same sequences in the genomes of humans, rats, and mice; sequences that are 95 to 99 percent identical to these can be found in the chicken and dog genomes, as well.

Most of these ultra-conserved regions do not appear to code for proteins, but may instead play a regulatory role. Evolutionary theory suggests these sequences may be so central to mammalian biology that even small changes in them would compromise the animal's fitness.

Led by Howard Hughes Medical Institute investigator David Haussler, at the University of California at Santa Cruz, the researchers published their findings online May 6, 2004, in Science Express, the Web counterpart of the journal Science. The lead author on the paper was Gill Bejerano in Haussler's laboratory. Also co-authoring the paper were John Mattick and his colleagues from the University of Queensland in Australia.

According to Haussler, the researchers were launched on their analysis when initial studies hinted at major regions of conserved DNA sequences. “When we had compared the human and mouse genomes, we found that about five percent of each of these showed some kind of evolutionary selection that partially preserved the sequence,” he said. “We got excited about this because only about 1.5 percent of the human genome codes for protein. So five percent was about three times as much as one might expect from the standard model of the genome, in which it basically codes for proteins, with a little bit of regulatory information on the side, and the rest is nonfunctional or “junk” DNA.

cite

These amazing discoveries shrowded in evo. How sad. How many times does that phrase have to be repeated and then debunked before they quit saying it? "and the rest is nonfunctional or “junk” DNA." Look what they have turned up so far in areas of DNA research alone that has proven there is less "junk" and way more, "I don't understand that part yet."

Anyway...

These initial findings suggested that quite a lot of the genome was performing some kind of regulatory or structural role - doing something important other than coding for proteins,” said Haussler.

When the rat genome sequence became available, the researchers decided to search for the most extreme cases of conservation among the three mammalian species. They looked for long stretches of DNA, at least 200 base-pairs in a row, that were identical among humans, rats and mice. Statistically, the likelihood that a sequence of this length would appear unchanged among all three genomes by chance was infinitesimally small.

In many different kinds we see exact similarities. The DNA is coded in itself to not change these parts. Why? because if these parts change the organism dies ( tiny changes over time "would compromise the creature's fitness" ). Now that is a miracle. Magic if you want to atribute it to mother nature.

That article goes on into the more "technical" elements if you are interested :)

Stratnerd

Oh... I thought you were implying that those regions were more like other animals than chimps.

Evos thought that these regions did not have a function but since they are so conserved it triggers the idea that these have function. It is under the evolutionary paradigm that we even knew to start looking for a function although we still don't know what it is!

Nineveh

Merely Christian

Oh... I thought you were implying that those regions were more like other animals than chimps.

Evos thought that these regions did not have a function but since they are so conserved it triggers the idea that these have function. It is under the evolutionary paradigm that we even knew to start looking for a function although we still don't know what it is!

It was under the evo paradigm that we got the name "junk".

The evidence is there for us to uncover (it's called science), adding the evo story guesswork does nothing but make the news story longer.

Stratnerd

It was under the evo paradigm that we got the name "junk".
my goodness woman, get over it. It has been evolutionary biology that has us now looking for an important function. In fact, we compare sequences and determine the probable importance. The creationist paradigm does nothing

Nineveh

Merely Christian

my goodness woman, get over it. It has been evolutionary biology that has us now looking for an important function. In fact, we compare sequences and determine the probable importance. The creationist paradigm does nothing

I can't speak for ID. I can speak for myself:

Those findings didn't need darwin to be found, they were there to begin with. Did you read the article at all? There is more "we don't understand yet" in there. It's not trying to find out how things work (science), it's the story that is being told along with the evidence.

Stratnerd

Those findings didn't need darwin to be found, they were there to begin with. Did you read the article at all? There is more "we don't understand yet" in there. It's not trying to find out how things work (science), it's the story that is being told along with the evidence.

I guess you don't understand.. if a region is conserved WE CAN PREDICT it to be more important across many group to survival. Across taxa, the more variable a region is then WE CAN PREDICT that those areas are less important. Under the creaionist paradigm differences and similarities are meaningless. If you disagree then please point out how and justify it.

Nineveh

Merely Christian

I guess you don't understand.. if a region is conserved WE CAN PREDICT it to be more important across many group to survival. Across taxa, the more variable a region is then WE CAN PREDICT that those areas are less important. Under the creaionist paradigm differences and similarities are meaningless. If you disagree then please point out how and justify it.

When the rat genome sequence became available, the researchers decided to search for the most extreme cases of conservation among the three mammalian species. They looked for long stretches of DNA, at least 200 base-pairs in a row, that were identical among humans, rats and mice. Statistically, the likelihood that a sequence of this length would appear unchanged among all three genomes by chance was infinitesimally small.

The results, said Haussler, were startling. The comparison of the three genomes revealed 481 such elements that they called “ultra-conserved.” “What really surprised us was that the regions of conservation stretched over so many bases. We found regions of up to nearly 800 bases where there were absolutely no changes among human, mouse and rat.”

cite

Some of those "less" important parts of DNA seem to have found their calling in life as the "regulators". Perhaps you missed that part in the article?

I dunno if ID really believes the study of DNA to be "meaningless", it appears this subject is a strong suit for them. As for what they think about DNA, why not do a lil research and find out?

Stratnerd

Some of those "less" important parts of DNA seem to have found their calling in life as the "regulators". Perhaps you missed that part in the article?
I understood it perfectly...

CONSERVED = IMPORTANT... but we get that ONLY from the evolutionary paradigm.

I dunno if ID really believes the study of DNA to be "meaningless", it appears this subject is a strong suit for them. As for what they think about DNA, why not do a lil research and find out?
Niv.... when are you going to stop putting words in people's mouths???? I never said that they thought genetics was meaningless. I'm saying that they can't make inferences from comparative sequence data.

For example:

HUMAN: ATATATATATTATATATATATATATATATATAT
RAT: ATATATATATTATATATATATATATATATATAT
BIRD: ATATATATATTATATATATATATATATATATAT
CROC: ATATATATATTATATATATATATATATATATAT
SNAKE:ATATATATATTATATATATATATATATATATAT

Inference under evolutionary paradigm: sequence is highly important
Under creationist/ID paradigm: ?

HUMAN: ATATCTATATTATATATATATATATATATATAT
RAT: ATATATATATTACATACCTATATATATATATAT
BIRD: ATATATATATTATATAGGGGATATATACATATAT
CROC: ATATATATATTATATATATATGTATATATATAT
SNAKE:ATATGTATATTATATATATCCCATATATATAT

Inference under evolutionary paradigm: sequences are not as important
under creationist/ID paradigm: ?

aharvey

Strat, Strat, save your sanity! (etc., refer to post #475).

Stratnerd

I know.. I know... but with such meatballs being thrown at me... how can I resist? It's not so much the magnitude of error but the attitude that piques me into response.

Jukia

Strat: As best I can tell Nineveh has no real science background (despite requests she has not indicated otherwise) and now somehow she has latched onto the "Wait science is finding out something new, oh, see, evolution is clearly unsupportable" But the suggestion to save your sanity is a good one.

Jukia aka The Whiner ( figured I would save Nineveh the necessity of a comment)

Stratnerd

about the name calling...it's called a double standard and I wouldn't sweat it.

I am glad, however, creationists are around; what else would I do for a break from estimating population densities via zero-inflated Poisson regression via maximum likelihood? Ug, am I supposed to enjoy a dissertation?

aharvey

... estimating population densities via zero-inflated Poisson regression via maximum likelihood? Ug, am I supposed to enjoy a dissertation?

Yes!

Zero-inflated Poisson regression? Is this to reduce the biases of zero-inflation or does it increase the number of zero values? What's the rationale? (Maybe this is a PM topic...)

john2001

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Originally posted by Nineveh

Either you didn't bother to look at that link or you can't read very well.

What is it that I am supposed to be impressed about? A list of names of scientists who say they believe in the biblical account of creation? So what? A person's religious opinion is of no relevance in science. There is nothing on that page that points to any ID science.

... in the mean time evo scientists work feverishly to get left handed amino acids to stick together in the lab ....

You really don't get it, do you? The puzzle was why life on earth is based on left-handed stereoisomers of amino acids (and all the proteins built from them).

It has been long known that polarized ultraviolet light will preferentially distroy stereo isomers of one handedness while preserving the other. So, the question is one of finding out if anybody has seen such polarization in nature. That is the importance of this item.

http://physicsweb.org/article/news/2/7/14/1

As to the question of where the organic molecules came from for abiogenesis, such discoveries http://physicsweb.org/article/news/7/8/7:

demonstrate that quite complicated organic chemicals form in nebulae. So, it is reasonable to conclude that when the pre-Solar nebula was coalescing, there were millions of tons of organic chemicals, amino acids and the like raining down on the early earth. The ultraviolet discovery suggests the type of conditions necessary for those to be all of the handedness we see in today's life.

Actually, if you read his thoughts closely, he takes issue with the theory itself.

Perhaps he takes issue that birds are *decended from dinosaurs*, but Olson does not take issue with the idea that dinosaurs and birds share common ancestry.Dissent as well as descent are part of biology.

(regarding "junk DNA" and other snotty
creationist whining)

Right, they had no clue what they did or what they were for, yet their "egotism" left it's mark with the name they dubbed it. I beg to differ about it being evo. The definition for junk DNA is "left overs" from the evo process.

In science research always starts with people "having no clue" and proposing the most reasonable solution to the problem. Then as people learn more their knowledge change and their theories are modified and expanded.

Reuse? The appendix had a reason to be there before evo scientists knew what it was for :)

The appendix is a problem organ for humans. It is a major organ of digestion in marsupials.
So, why is the appendix still around? Basic notions of evolution tell us that it must have *some* benefit, and that benefit was found to be an immune system function.

(What is the creationist explanation? Fallout from the "Fall" or some such nonsense?)

Funny, Behe said something like, 'I'd never heard this evidence before' about ID until after he had been in the field for a while. So, just cuz, you haven't looked for or listened to ID ideas, doesn't mean they don't exist.

Here is what Behe says about common descent:

Many people think that questioning Darwinian evolution must be equivalent
to espousing creationism. As commonly understood, creationism involves
belief in an earth formed only about ten thousand years ago, an
interpretation of the Bible that is still very popular. For the record, I
have no reason to doubt that the universe is the billions of years old that
physicists say it is. Further, I find the idea of common descent (that all
organisms share a common ancestor) fairly convincing, and have no
particular reason to doubt it. I greatly respect the work of my colleagues
who study the development and behavior of organisms within an evolutionary
framework, and I think that evolutinoary biologists have contributed
enormously to our understanding of the world. Although Darwin's
mechanism--natural selection working on variation--might explain many
things, however, I do not believe it explains molecular life. I also do not
think it surprising that the new science of the very small might change the
way we view the less small."

~ Michael J. Behe, Darwin's Black Box, (New
York: The Free Press, 1996), p. 7

So, basically Behe is an evolutionist who wants to allow some limited Finger of God action for his personal philosophical comfort.

Last time I knew, darwin was still getting his way in public school.
Please offer some info, or you won't mind me not buying your line.
[
Sure, just check out the National Center for Science Education web page:
http://www.ncseweb.org/

Of course, these bills get defeated, but the time and energy expended defeating them is a waste of resources.

Or maybe they watched Unlocking the Mysteries of Life and found chuck has a hard time with step one.

I saw that. It is a ridiculous piece of anti-science propaganda.

Nature doesn't account for a soul or spirit either :) Or morality, or love or humour....

"Soul" and "spirit" are pre-scientific notions which amount to the explanation that things move because there is a "little man" on the inside of them making them move. There is absolutely nothing to indicate that life is nothing more than chemical machinery. (Indeed, the modern ID movement believes that this "machinery" has to have been created.)

As to morality, love, humour, and other attributes that we seem to share with other animal species to greater of lesser degree, these things attributes seem to exist because of a survival benefit.

(regarding Dean Kenyon dropping out of science.)

You mean, he hasn't had anything to say about chuck in 25 years. But it's nice to see you give credit to the book he co authored. Too bad you won't listen to what he has to say about it now.

No. Dean Kenyon has done no science of any variety in 25 years. This is evidenced by his lack of scientific publication.

I was hoping to read about allele fequency changes and how those are worked into evo. But, I won't ask again, thanks anyway.

Why don't you search the web yourself. I don't have time to spoon feed you everything.

Um, you were wrong. aharvey even said "he might have misunderstood you". He finally got it. If you want to continue believing that article was about more than one comparison, please, be my guest.

I suggest that you reread Aharvey's posts. He explained to you in detail why the Nature article does not call common descent into question. (He also demonstrated that you lied when you said you read it.)

(Regarding science classes teaching Darwin)

Either they teach darwin or they don't, which is it?

In some places, not very well, or very much.

I still think if everyone is still as ignorant as you claim them to be about evo theory, it's because evo itself has trouble with it's theories and it's definitions. Not because one or two townships actually tried to promote an alternative.

So far there is no scientific alternative to evolution. As Behe points out, even his ID notions are merely modifications of the Darwinian mechanism, but common descent stands.

"There could be", according to who? We seem to be having trouble making educated guesses about genomes right now lol

BTW... anyone got a subscription to Science?

Common sense. There are billions of possible genetic sequences and protein sequences. The ones we see in our biology are limited to a relatively small set.
(I believe that was something that Hubert Yockey study.)

Last edited:

Stratnerd

A -

Zero-inflated Poisson regression? Is this to reduce the biases of zero-inflation or does it increase the number of zero values? What's the rationale?
Models that incorporate data sets with > 95% zeros and a small tail. They come out of industry to model failures and I just need the SAS code.... [like a zombie] SAS code.... SAS code....

I'm modeling the density of birds across a landscape (down your neck of the woods - literally) and 95% of the points do not have this particular bird, 2% have 1, 1% has 2, 1% has 3, etc etc.

john2001

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Originally posted by Nineveh

I can't speak for ID. I can speak for myself:

Actually, the findings only make sense in the light of evolutionary theory.

(Incidentally, you have been caught lying barefacedly. Time to clean up your act.)

john2001

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Re: Run away, run away!

Re: Run away, run away!

Originally posted by aharvey

John, John, save your sanity, cut loose from this thread! No matter what you say, or how you say it, Nineveh will find a way to distort it, ignore it, misunderstand it, or take it out of context, whatever is required to keep her from having to consider another viewpoint.

Yes. Imagine being married to this shrill and whining harridan, and Oh, the children, the children...

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Niv.... when are you going to stop putting words in people's mouths???? I never said that they thought genetics was meaningless. I'm saying that they can't make inferences from comparative sequence data.

And I'm saying, perhaps you should look to see if they do or not.

Stratnerd

>> I'm saying that they can't make inferences from comparative sequence data.

> And I'm saying, perhaps you should look to see if they do or not.

I have, they don't and it wouldn't make sense if they did. How could they possibly justify it?

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Originally posted by john2001

What is it that I am supposed to be impressed about? A list of names of scientists who say they believe in the biblical account of creation? So what? A person's religious opinion is of no relevance in science. There is nothing on that page that points to any ID science.

"The only real scientists on that link are dead people. The others are not players, hence their opinions are the opinions of laymen."

I think you are misrepresenting most of the people on that list.

You really don't get it, do you? The puzzle was why life on earth is based on left-handed stereoisomers of amino acids (and all the proteins built from them).

It has been long known that polarized ultraviolet light will preferentially distroy stereo isomers of one handedness while preserving the other. So, the question is one of finding out if anybody has seen such polarization in nature. That is the importance of this item.

http://physicsweb.org/article/news/2/7/14/1

As to the question of where the organic molecules came from for abiogenesis, such discoveries http://physicsweb.org/article/news/7/8/7:

demonstrate that quite complicated organic chemicals form in nebulae. So, it is reasonable to conclude that when the pre-Solar nebula was coalescing, there were millions of tons of organic chemicals, amino acids and the like raining down on the early earth. The ultraviolet discovery suggests the type of conditions necessary for those to be all of the handedness we see in today's life.

And in the mean time, they still can't get them to stick together in a lab. I'm happy you feel they are onto something anyway :)

Perhaps he takes issue that birds are *decended from dinosaurs*, but Olson does not take issue with the idea that dinosaurs and birds share common ancestry.Dissent as well as descent are part of biology.

The idea of feathered dinosaurs and the theropod origin of birds is being actively promulgated by a cadre of zealous scientists acting in concert with certain editors at Nature and National Geographic who themselves have become outspoken and highly biased proselytizers of the faith. cite

In science research always starts with people "having no clue" and proposing the most reasonable solution to the problem. Then as people learn more their knowledge change and their theories are modified and expanded.

Unless of course the evidence leads to the thought darwin could be wrong....

The appendix is a problem organ for humans. It is a major organ of digestion in marsupials.
So, why is the appendix still around? Basic notions of evolution tell us that it must have *some* benefit, and that benefit was found to be an immune system function.

(What is the creationist explanation? Fallout from the "Fall" or some such nonsense?)

At one point it was an evo left over with no function, now we have discovered it does have a function. Why must evo always start with "what we don't understand must be useless"?

So, basically Behe is an evolutionist who wants to allow some limited Finger of God action for his personal philosophical comfort.

Or perhaps he understands how evo science "chokes" on evidence that points away from chuck at any level.

"Although Darwin's mechanism--natural selection working on variation--might explain many things, however, I do not believe it explains molecular life. I also do not think it surprising that the new science of the very small might change the way we view the less small."

Sure, just check out the National Center for Science Education web page:
http://www.ncseweb.org/

Of course, these bills get defeated, but the time and energy expended defeating them is a waste of resources.

"The student will be able to explain how scientific and technological innovations as well as new evidence can challenge portions of or entire accepted theories and models...", cite

Heinous!

Anyway from the ones I looked through, that was about the only one making headway. So in the mean time, chuck goes unopposed, to freely teach the unlearned it changing definitions and understandings of evo itself.

I saw that. It is a ridiculous piece of anti-science propaganda.

Which part? How a cell functions?

"Soul" and "spirit" are pre-scientific notions which amount to the explanation that things move because there is a "little man" on the inside of them making them move. There is absolutely nothing to indicate that life is nothing more than chemical machinery. (Indeed, the modern ID movement believes that this "machinery" has to have been created.)

So, are you saying these things chuck can't explain don't exist?

As to morality, love, humour, and other attributes that we seem to share with other animal species to greater of lesser degree, these things attributes seem to exist because of a survival benefit.

You can't be serious.

No. Dean Kenyon has done no science of any variety in 25 years. This is evidenced by his lack of scientific publication.

He seemed to have a bit to say on Unlocking.

Why don't you search the web yourself. I don't have time to spoon feed you everything.

I sorta figured this is as far as it would get. Sometime, I might bother to look up your evidence, but not today.

I suggest that you reread Aharvey's posts. He explained to you in detail why the Nature article does not call common descent into question. (He also demonstrated that you lied when you said you read it.)

I read that article and posted straight from Nature.com. So the only real news is from the actual paper magazine? Anyway, the article was about comparing two chromosomes. You took issue with even that.

In some places, not very well, or very much.

Poor evos : sniff:

So far there is no scientific alternative to evolution. As Behe points out, even his ID notions are merely modifications of the Darwinian mechanism, but common descent stands.

It sounded more like he thinks darwin's ideas belong inside biology, not as it's foundation.

Common sense. There are billions of possible genetic sequences and protein sequences. The ones we see in our biology are limited to a relatively small set.
(I believe that was something that Hubert Yockey study.)

Common sense looks at research and marvels at the complexity. Have you bothered to look at the new study I've been posting about?