Coral Ridge Ministries and CSI

Stratnerd

Just making sure. Maybe you should get together with Olsen and see why there is a difference in opinion and come back and share that with us. Obviously one of you is wrong and I'd be interested in knowing which one is supposed to be correct. But that would be between you two and I understand if you chose not to pursue it.
I've sat done with Feduccia and talked. It comes down to methods. Me, I like the attempt to be objective and the method used is phylogenetics where characters are coded and then the computer sorts out the characters. If Storrs is like Alan then they are more touchy feely intuitive types and just don't feel like birds evolved from dinosaurs.

Free-Agent Smith

Originally posted by Stratnerd

I've sat done with Feduccia and talked. It comes down to methods. Me, I like the attempt to be objective and the method used is phylogenetics where characters are coded and then the computer sorts out the characters. If Storrs is like Alan then they are more touchy feely intuitive types and just don't feel like birds evolved from dinosaurs.
So you think Olsen is just guessing instead of testing the data?

Stratnerd

> So you think Olsen is just guessing instead of testing the data?

It's a different approach that I wouldn't call guessing. My own background is more Popperian where you take a hypothesis and challenge it with data. Olsen's approach is more inductive and relies more on "knowing" - but I still wouldn't call it guessing because he can defend his position.

Free-Agent Smith

> So you think Olsen is just guessing instead of testing the data?

It's a different approach that I wouldn't call guessing. My own background is more Popperian where you take a hypothesis and challenge it with data. Olsen's approach is more inductive and relies more on "knowing" - but I still wouldn't call it guessing because he can defend his position.
Popperian? Could you explain this a bit more please?
Where does he get his "knowing" from? I am assuming it is from the research he has done in the past and the data he has collected but I figure it is better to ask. I guess I should ask this also; can he effectively defend his position against it beyond any doubt that dinosaurs didn't evolve from birds?

Or can you or another scientist bring forth evidence that shows he is wrong?

Stratnerd

Popperian? Could you explain this a bit more please?
Karl Popper lived the last century (I think he died about 10 years ago) and was one of the most influential science philosophers of our time (or any time). He wanted to know why we think we know things and what are the standards of knowing and what might be the best way to find out. Popper was into confronting hypotheses with data and the language of "falsification" is his (or maybe Mills - not sure) The altnerative to be more inductive but I don't know how one can be completely one or the other - it's really a matter of emphasis and formalization.

Where does he get his "knowing" from? I am assuming it is from the research he has done in the past and the data he has collected but I figure it is better to ask.
that's about right he hasn't formalized it into any method though.
can he effectively defend his position against it beyond any doubt that dinosaurs didn't evolve from birds?
not any more... the arguments against were finger development (inconclusive since we can't get embryonic dinos), lack of a wishbone in theropods (now discovered), and the lack of a particular wristbone in theropods (inconclusive but it now looks like that has been discovered to), the type of breathing (T. rex, like gators use their pubic bones to help breath but birds do not - or we're not sure) but that argument might be meaningful if it occurred in things closer to birds (e.g., raptors). They also claimed that birds and dinos looked the same because of convergence but this is an ad hoc explanation that doesn't fit the data. In other words, they think that raptors are like birds because of natural selection and not because the share ancestory. Sort of like saying apes evolved from slugs and we evolved from deer but we have the same features because of natural selection. It is something you can always claim but it can tackled with data.

Free-Agent Smith

not any more... the arguments against were finger development (inconclusive since we can't get embryonic dinos), lack of a wishbone in theropods (now discovered), and the lack of a particular wristbone in theropods (inconclusive but it now looks like that has been discovered to), the type of breathing (T. rex, like gators use their pubic bones to help breath but birds do not - or we're not sure) but that argument might be meaningful if it occurred in things closer to birds (e.g., raptors). They also claimed that birds and dinos looked the same because of convergence but this is an ad hoc explanation that doesn't fit the data. In other words, they think that raptors are like birds because of natural selection and not because the share ancestory. Sort of like saying apes evolved from slugs and we evolved from deer but we have the same features because of natural selection. It is something you can always claim but it can tackled with data.
Ok earlier you said he could defend it but But it seemed to me that you didn't agree. Now you say he can't defend it properly. Where does Storrs Olsen stand in the science of birds and dinosaurs today? Is he an authority that is recognized or is he some kind of standing joke and people just let him ramble on?

Stratnerd

He can defend it with the stuff that's nonconclusive but I think he's been quiet because, (1) it isn't such a popular issue anymore where just an opinion can get you published and (2) more recent fossils are filling in the gap between dino and bird and not "other thecodont" and bird.

He certainly is an authority although most of his work deals with more recent birds - Cenozoic type stuff not Mesozoic. But I haven't heard much from him so I don't know where he stands. I may see him in August so I'll let you know.

Dimo

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Agemt X posted:

Olsen is an evolutionist, so it is ok if he doesn't agree with other evolutionists. Honor among evo's, regardless of whether they agree or not.

Dimo:

I think you mean that: "Olsen does not rely on the supernatural for an explanation of things that are not known for sure in the material sciences."

And yes, I do respect anyone who does not use the copout "It must be the supernatural!" for mysteries in the material sciences. I think any reasonable person should respect this quality. You on the other hand are free to disrespect those who disagree with your "supernatural" hypothesis.

Free-Agent Smith

Originally posted by Dimo

Agemt X posted:

Olsen is an evolutionist, so it is ok if he doesn't agree with other evolutionists. Honor among evo's, regardless of whether they agree or not.

Dim:

I think you mean that: "Olsen does not rely on the supernatural for an explanation of things that are not known for sure in the material sciences."

And yes, I do respect anyone who does not use the copout "It must be the supernatural!" for mysteries in the material sciences. I think any reasonable person should respect this quality. You on the other hand are free to disrespect those who disagree with your "supernatural" hypothesis.

Dim sum,

Thank you for the lame attempt at whatever you were trying to acheive. I said what I had intended to say, regardless of what you may think.

Dimo

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Agent X posted:

Dim sum,

Thank you for the lame attempt at whatever you were trying to acheive. I said what I had intended to say, regardless of what you may think.

The Chinese appetizer:

I'm glad for you. Too bad it fell flat on the floor.

john2001

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Originally posted by Nineveh

john2001:
So far Behe has done absolutely no science that backs up his IC claims. He wrote a little pop anti-science book, and has been playing the lecture circuit as a "controversial" figure.

He isn't alone. There are a lot of people you have to account for on that link.

LOL! The only real scientists on that link are dead people. The others are not players, hence their opinions are the opinions of laymen. (A couple are 7th Day Adventists at Loma Linda-not much real science their either.) Still no science of ID. (Plenty of ego, though!)

(original statement was an incoherent reference by ninevah to "left handed amino acids".

Here is a start.

Here is a more modern item
http://physicsweb.org/article/news/2/7/14/1

john2001: wrote
Similarly dinos do not "turn into" birds. Birds and dino's share common ancestry.

Same as above. Did you know that Storrs Olson, Curator of Birds at the National Museum of Natural History of the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, DC, disagrees?

First of all, Olson was objecting to the National Geographic's touting of a fossil called "archeoraptor" without proper peer review. National Geographic got burned on that, because archeoraptor turned out to be a composit of two other fossils.

(Other genuine fossils have been found since then with similar characteristics.)

To claim that Storrs Olson disagrees with the notion that dinosaurs and birds share common ancestry is ludicrous!

No, I do not believe your great great gramma was an animal. She was human like her great great gramma before her.

She was, as you are. Humans are a species of animal.

My position is that Taxonomy is a useful tool within science, just like chuck's ideas about "adaptation". If we used Taxomonomy as the discipline itself, it would be just as incorrect of a base for Biology as using chuck's tools are.

Adaptation is origin of variation in evolution. "Chuck's" notion of common descent makes the world of biology go 'round.

I don't know about the other guys, but, I personally am not now, nor have I ever to my recollection discussed religion on this group. I am interested in people accurately representing the mainstream scientific viewpoints on matters of origins.
Alright, if you don't buy into abiogenisis, then where do you think chuck gets a start?

[/QUOTE]

We all believe in abiogenesis, whether it is God "telling the earth to bring forth life" or whether it is by the natural processes of chemistry.

I am quite happy to let the science of chemistry progress. Some sort of chemical abiogenesis seems to be the only possible direction. However, I do not demand that science give all of the answers today.

john2001
So my "3rd opinion" is the one that the scientific community uses is that there are unresolved issues in science. That is the very reason for having science is to study and resolve the unresolved. However, science is a displine of supreme honesty, and the honest person admits that there are an infinity of things we do not know.

I have never claimed otherwise :) Science is a wonderful tool to investigate the nature around us. However where you and I will disagree is when it boils down to "faith" in who is right according to the evidence.

Nonsense. The "questions" you ask are the questions of the unreasoning skeptic, whose purpose is not to illuminate, but to obfucate.

john2001:
The point is that we in science do not have to state an opinion beyond what is reasonable when asked a question. We are not in the worldview philosophy business, so we do not have to guess it all right at the beginning. We take into account that our knowledge is tentative and transitory.

I would beg to differ. It wasn't evidence that lead the evos to lable parts of DNA "junk" or organs "vestigial". It was their world view upon which their "science" was based. One had to "assume" evolutionary left overs for those conclusions.

First of all, the term "junk" DNA was applied because these sequences do not code for proteins. At the time, it appeared that the only function of DNA was to code for proteins. This is genetics, not evolution.

However, the presence of pseudogenes in the junk DNA *is* predicted by the theory of evolution, and, in particular, the fact that those pseudogenes correspond to functioning genes in other species is strong a strong piece of evidence of evolution.

As to "vestigal" parts, this is a fair designation. The fact that organs that are otherwise sources of potentially fatal infections persist in populations indicates that there must be some function offsetting the liability of these organs.

Ultimately, the basic pattern of all of biology of "reuse" of parts, rather than novelty, is something that is easily understood in the light of evolution, and is not understandable in terms of a "designer" .

john2001:
..Ah, and you're supposed to be Galileo in this discussion... Guess you don't know anything about Galileo, do you?

Um, no, pompous one, the point is, as the RCC had a strangle hold then, chuck has the strangle hold now.

The point is that you seem to know about as much about modern science as you do about Galileo. (Which is to say, not much!)

john2001:
Sure, those attempts to inject creationism into schools have failed. The fact that there is a political movement that keeps trying to push these things into the public school system makes evolution a political hot potato that causes writers of textbooks and teachers to try to skirt the issue.

I'll ask again, where? Where in the US has chuck been limited in the classroms?

Everywhere. You have, at any one time in the US, between 10 and 20 bills before state legislatrures to try to either censor (such as with textbook disclaimers as in Alabama), limit, or to teach some creationist doctrine as "equal time" . The time and energy that are expended fighting these things detracts from the mission of education.

Furthermore, you have students indoctrinated with creationist propaganda by their peers, parents, or churches parroting the kind of garbage that we see you guys parrot taking up valuable classroom time.

john2001:

Yep. That abiogenesis happened, there is no doubt. How it happened is the thing that is not understood.

Faith!? :shocked:

That's what it takes to believe ordered sequence is birthed from the "essoteric soup"

Nope. Common sense. Either life always existed from the biginning of the universe, or it originated at some later time. Life is chemistry, ergo, there had to be an origin of life from non-life.

That is true whether you are assuming that God told the earth to "bring forth life" or that chemical abiogenesis happened.

john2001:

I think you have a really warped notion about how much money is supplied to teaching. If anything, it is a lack of funds that is part of the problem of public education. Having to fight off creationist garbage is not helping the situation.

You mean, evo science. There is another way to look at the evidences.

Basically science is science. There is no "non evo" science.

Lemme guess, along with being an evo, and a pagan, you are a liberal, too?

For this discussion I am a scientist. Politics and relgious persuasion are not the issue. Indeed, the *entire* argument from the creatiionist community is a political or religious one, not a scientific one.

john2001:

You mean was don't you? Kenyon used to be a decent scientist, way back when he did research back in the 1970's. He stopped doing research at that time, and has been working primarly a college administrator. (FYI people who become department chairmen don't do science. They don't have the time.)

LOL!!!!

So in essence "Kenyon used to be one of us, but now he is a traitor."

Sounds like you just don't like what he has to say anymore.

No. Kenyon had a brief scientific career, which he then moved away from.

You should read his book _Biochemical Predestination_. It is a classic.

Basically, Kenyon has not had anything scientific to say in more than 25 years.

Well, I gave you a link to info, I guess asking a third time for some from you will be another waste of time.

Regarding Mendel and evolution, you can start here.
http://www.evowiki.org/wiki.phtml?title=Mutation

john2001:
(Nature article)
I did. It's a tremendously exciting and important result that no doubt will change the way we view common descent. However, it by no means invalidates the notion of common descent. In fact, the study would make no sense if the idea of common descent was not there.

It's ok, I don't expect you to appologize for your attitude. I have come to see most evos lack the ability to admit error.

Anyway, my point is still the same. After one comparison the hypothesis was understated, and I am sure we will see more.

You don't have a point because you don't have any expertise in biology. It is not possible for you to read and understand the article you are quoting, as you have amply demonstrated in your posts on the subject. Aharvey tried to set you straight on this, but you are so bullheaded that you won't listen to him, even though he has been patient and has given you more time than you deserve.

john2001:

The only problem with your hypothesis is that nobody controls science. Science is a free marketplace, and the only reason that creationism, or ID (whatever) is not selling is that that free market sees no value in it.

I think you missed a few steps. The dogma of the day gets the money for education and air time. As for OH, the school board voted it down, not the parents who wanted it.

It is right and proper that the trends and topics of the scientific community be the things that are taught in science classes. We should be glad that the parents in OH didn't get what they asked for.

john2001:

You are making the mistake of believing that there is only one possible configuration for life. Life as we know it, is a particular configuration. There is no reason to believe that it is the only configuration.
[

Before you go making the problem harder for yourself, let's consider what we actually have here to work with. You need to explain how RNA is in the right sequence to mean anything.

There could be billions of "right" sequences. The problem has not been studied enough to make that call.

Last edited:

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Originally posted by john2001
LOL! The only real scientists on that link are dead people. The others are not players, hence their opinions are the opinions of laymen. (A couple are 7th Day Adventists at Loma Linda-not much real science their either.) Still no science of ID. (Plenty of ego, though!)

Either you didn't bother to look at that link or you can't read very well.

I guess as an evo, you would know about ego :)

Cool, I'm glad they think they understand why they are all left handed, but that doesn't solve the problem they are having in the lab.

: laughing: I guess making them "extraterrestrial" will help them figure it out lol....

First of all, Olson was objecting to the National Geographic's touting of a fossil called "archeoraptor" without proper peer review. National Geographic got burned on that, because archeoraptor turned out to be a composit of two other fossils.

Actually, if you read his thoughts closely, he takes issue with the theory itself.

To claim that Storrs Olson disagrees with the notion that dinosaurs and birds share common ancestry is ludicrous!

His last thoughts publicly on the matter are in his letter to NG. Since then, as Strat has pointed out, he has been silent, probably due to his research travels. But, like Strat also pointed out, Storr's line of evidence in his field 'wasn't really taken seriously'. So why should he be more public with his views? I'm awaiting an email reply if he should ever find the time.

She was, as you are. Humans are a species of animal.

According to pagans :)

Adaptation is origin of variation in evolution. "Chuck's" notion of common descent makes the world of biology go 'round.

Only for those who invest their lives into evo.

We all believe in abiogenesis, whether it is God "telling the earth to bring forth life" or whether it is by the natural processes of chemistry. (Which could be the same thing.)

Sorry that's a bit skewed. Abiogenisis is the necessity of nature making itself into everything, now, you have to solve the problem of where all the matter came from, but the "big bang" isn't a part of evo either. Nature can't join two left handed amino acids together in a coherent chain.

I am quite happy to let the science of chemistry progress. Some sort of chemical abiogenesis seems to be the only possible direction. However, I do not demand that science give all of the answers today.

I really think you should listen to what Dean Kenyon has to say about that.

Nonsense. The "questions" you ask are the questions of the unreasoning skeptic, whose purpose is not to illuminate, but to obfucate.

... in the mean time evo scientists work feverishly to get left handed amino acids to stick together in the lab ....

First of all, the term "junk" DNA was applied because these sequences do not code for proteins. At the time, it appeared that the only function of DNA was to code for proteins. This is genetics, not evolution.

Right, they had no clue what they did or what they were for, yet their "egotism" left it's mark with the name they dubbed it. I beg to differ about it being evo. The definition for junk DNA is "left overs" from the evo process.

As to "vestigal" parts, this is a fair designation. The fact that organs that are otherwise sources of potentially fatal infections persist in populations indicates that there must be some benefit offsetting the liability of these organs.

Humans don't seem to have any now. How many did they say we had at one point?

Ultimately, the basic pattern of all of biology of "reuse" of parts, rather than novelty, is something that is easily understood in the light of evolution, and is not understandable in terms of a "designer" .

Reuse? The appendix had a reason to be there before evo scientists knew what it was for :)

Basically "chuck" is the only game in town, because "chuck" (or more precisely the
neo-Darwinian synthesis) works, and there is no other working theory that has been proposed. That is the basic fact that you seem not to accept.

Funny, Behe said something like, 'I'd never heard this evidence before' about ID until after he had been in the field for a while. So, just cuz, you haven't looked for or listened to ID ideas, doesn't mean they don't exist.

Everywhere. You have, at any one time in the US, between 10 and 20 bills before state legislatrures to try to either censor (such as with textbook disclaimers as in Alabama), limit, or to teach some creationist doctrine as "equal time" . The time and energy that are expended fighting these things detracts from the mission of education.

Last time I knew, darwin was still getting his way in public school.
Please offer some info, or you won't mind me not buying your line.

Furthermore, you have students indoctrinated with creationist propaganda by their peers, parents, or churches parroting the kind of garbage that we see you guys parrot taking up valuable classroom time.

Or maybe they watched Unlocking the Mysteries of Life and found chuck has a hard time with step one.

Nope. Common sense. Either life always existed from the biginning of the universe, or it originated at some later time. Life is chemistry, ergo, there had to be an origin of life from non-life.

Getting nature to do it takes more faith than I have :)

That is true whether you are assuming that God told the earth to "bring forth life" or that chemical abiogenesis happened.

Nature doesn't account for a soul or spirit either :) Or morality, or love or humour....

Basically science is science. There is no "non evo" science.

There used to be... (re read that list of scientists like Mendel)

For this discussion I am a scientist. Politics and relgious persuasion are not the issue. Indeed, the *entire* argument from the creatiionist community is a political or religious one, not a scientific one.

I brought God into our discussion. I usually don't see much if anything about God coming from ID or ID supporters ( scientist or not). But, in my world view, everything we do gives glory to whatever god (yes even atheist have one) they serve.

No. Kenyon had a brief scientific career, which he then moved away from. You should read his book _Biochemical Predestination_. It is a classic. Basically, Kenyon has not had anything scientific to say in more than 25 years.

You mean, he hasn't had anything to say about chuck in 25 years. But it's nice to see you give credit to the book he co authored. Too bad you won't listen to what he has to say about it now.

Regarding Mendel and evolution, you can start here.
http://www.evowiki.org/wiki.phtml?title=Mutation

I was hoping to read about allele fequency changes and how those are worked into evo. But, I won't ask again, thanks anyway.

You don't have a point because you don't have any expertise in biology. It is not possible for you to read and understand the article you are quoting, as you have amply demonstrated in your posts on the subject. Aharvey tried to set you straight on this, but you are so bullheaded that you won't listen to him, even though he has been patient and has given you more time than you deserve.

Um, you were wrong. aharvey even said "he might have misunderstood you". He finally got it. If you want to continue believing that article was about more than one comparison, please, be my guest.

It is right and proper that the trends and topics of the scientific community be the things that are taught in science classes. We should be glad that the parents in OH didn't get what they asked for.

Either they teach darwin or they don't, which is it?

I still think if everyone is still as ignorant as you claim them to be about evo theory, it's because evo itself has trouble with it's theories and it's definitions. Not because one or two townships actually tried to promote an alternative.

There could be billions of "right" sequences. The problem has not been studied enough to make that call.

"There could be", according to who? We seem to be having trouble making educated guesses about genomes right now lol

BTW... anyone got a subscription to Science?

Stratnerd

Since then, as Strat has pointed out, he has been silent, probably due to his research travels. But, like Strat also pointed out, Storr's line of evidence in his field 'wasn't really taken seriously'. So why should he be more public with his views? I'm awaiting an email reply if he should ever find the time.
Nobody travels that much! If he hasn't responded within a day or two he probably won't - especially if he knows you're a creationist.

Nineveh

Merely Christian

Nobody travels that much! If he hasn't responded within a day or two he probably won't - especially if he knows you're a creationist.

I seriously doubt I will hear from him :) So I guess Jukia whining about how creationists never email back isn't such an exclusive phenomenon after all.

"Current research interests: continue collaborative research on fossil avifaunas and paleoenvironments of Hawaii, Bermuda, and Cuba. Storrs will also be working with Deborah Siegel to complete the ornithological gazetteer of Panama and to initiate manuscript preparation on the biogeography of the avifauna of the archipelago and lowlands of Bocas del Toro, Panama. He continues working with Rob Fleischer, Helen James, and others on DNA sequencing and phylogeny of Hawaiian and other birds. Plans for fieldwork include potential trips to Bermuda, Brazil, Uruguay, and Korea." cite

Sounds like he's a busy guy ...

aharvey

Run away, run away!

Run away, run away!

Originally posted by john2001

John, John, save your sanity, cut loose from this thread! No matter what you say, or how you say it, Nineveh will find a way to distort it, ignore it, misunderstand it, or take it out of context, whatever is required to keep her from having to consider another viewpoint.

How many posts did she cling to her baseless accusation that Archaeoraptor was still being exhibited in this country to indoctrinate people about dino-bird evolution?

How many posts has she clung to her absurd claims about a Nature paper she never read, but insists she has?

How many times has she said, despite repeated corrections on my part, that I stated that facts and evidence makes evolutionary biologists wince?

Consider her statement to you

Um, you were wrong. aharvey even said "he might have misunderstood you". He finally got it. If you want to continue believing that article was about more than one comparison, please, be my guest.

Talk about taking something out of context! What I actually said to Nineveh was (emphasis added),

And if your point is really nothing more that "the closer we look the more differences we will see," then perhaps john2001 simply misunderstood the pointlessness of that "point." It's a certainty that the more chromosomes we compare, the greater the absolute number of differences we will find. The only alternative is that all remaining chromosomes are absolutely identical between chimps and humans, and who would be stupid enough to suggest that evolutionary theory predicts that?

See how she effortlessly turns my suggestion that you may have underestimated the foolishness of Nineveh's argument into the claim that she was right, you were wrong!

If you need any further evidence of a distorted world view, consider this exchange:

quote:
well he's not a creationist so you don't even have a point! he just suggests a different origin of birds.

response by Nineveh:
I never claimed he was. But it's quite telling to watch you guys rip into a scientist in the field who disagrees with the dogma-of-the-day.

Nineveh reads Stratnerd's "He just suggests a different origin of birds" and sees, tellingly, him "ripping into a scientist in the field who disagrees with the dogma-of-the-day."If Nineveh honestly thinks Strat's and your comments about Olsen are vicious, what would she describe as a "polite disagreement"? And, whew! What on earth must she think about the nasty, smirky, dismissive tone of practically anything she says about "evos"? (Ironically, Agent Smith looked at the same discussions about Storrs Olsen and came to the opposite, but equally pejorative, conclusion as Nineveh: "Olsen is an evolutionist, so it is ok if he doesn't agree with other evolutionists. Honor among evo's, regardless of whether they agree or not.")

There's nothing to be gained here...

Stratnerd

I seriously doubt I will hear from him So I guess Jukia whining about how creationists never email back isn't such an exclusive phenomenon after all.
they're smart... they realize that arguing is pointless. Me, at least, like banging my head against a wall.

Sounds like he's a busy guy ...
we all are

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Too bad...

The research is (once again) saying they got their guesswork wrong. Perhaps when it's all said and done we are closer genetically to rats, mice, chickens, fish and dogs than chimps in the "junk DNA" sections. I can't wait to compare the "family tree" after these studies are done to what it looks like today. If you are interested in reading it: Bejerano et al., “Ultraconserved Elements in the Human Genome,” Science, Vol 304, Issue 5675, 1321-1325, 28 May 2004, [DOI: 10.1126/science.1098119].

Stratnerd

Perhaps when it's all said and done we are closer genetically to rats, mice, chickens, fish and dogs than chimps in the "junk DNA" sections.
but is this what it says?

What guesswork or you talking about and how would a creationist have a superior "guess" on noncoding DNA sequences?