Coral Ridge Ministries and CSI

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Originally posted by Dimo

Nineveh posted;

I tend to believe our whole earth is a maze of complexity, the closer we look, the more complex it gets.

Dimo:

I agree. There is logic and/or mathematics that supports this concept.

:shocked: we agree :) just kidding :)

But please tell us how this supports your claim that naturalistic evolution is less accurate than supernatural young earth creationism.

Us? How about you and I stay on one thing at a time between you and me :)

We all start with our world views and what we believe to be the base line truth. You and I can look at the same evidence, you will say proof of evo, I will say proof of God's power.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Hey....
For those who may want something refreshing....

Explore the marvel of our genetic structure.

If you liked that page, check out their home page :)

Dimo

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Nineveh posted:

We all start with our world views and what we believe to be the base line truth. You and I can look at the same evidence, you will say proof of evo, I will say proof of God's power.

Dimo:

No Nineveh, I don't see "proof" of evolution, however, I do see a naturalistic explanation. I just don't see any evidence for the "supernatural". In fact, I see God's power in the natural world. I do not need to manufacture evidence for this belief.

Perhaps, I should enlighten you on my world view. I am not as committed to evolution as you believe. Nor do I see it as an all encompassing philosophy for every part of my world view. I see that there are things we understand and things we don't understand. Historically peoples and cultures have attributed that which they do not understand to the "supernatural". Recent history has shown these conclusions to be premature.

On the other hand I do believe in spirituality. I see it as an unseen but inherent part of the natural world. A part of the universe that is less tangible than the physical universe and the directly observable mechanisms therein. I may not be able to demonstrate to you or others the reality of this spiritual aspect here or in a short period of time my life. But I do know from my own life experiences about its influence.

Now many atheists, and perhaps other types, will criticize me and say that it is just my imagination. This does not perplex me. I know that I am happier this way. And being happier means that I can be more successful at whatever endeavors, I choose in this life.

Now I ask you to be honest with yourself and me. Have you witnessed directly or indirectly anything "supernatural", other than what other fundamentalists have told you is "supernatural"?

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Originally posted by Dimo
No Nineveh, I don't see "proof" of evolution, however, I do see a naturalistic explanation. I just don't see any evidence for the "supernatural". In fact, I see God's power in the natural world. I do not need to manufacture evidence for this belief.

Nor do I or the others who believe as they do. It's how we view the evidence which ultimately derives from our world view.

Perhaps, I should enlighten you on my world view. I am not as committed to evolution as you believe. Nor do I see it as an all encompassing philosophy for every part of my world view. I see that there are things we understand and things we don't understand. Historically peoples and cultures have attributed that which they do not understand to the "supernatural". Recent history has shown these conclusions to be premature.

On the other hand I do believe in spirituality. I see it as an unseen but inherent part of the natural world. A part of the universe that is less tangible than the physical universe and the directly observable mechanisms therein. I may not be able to demonstrate to you or others the reality of this spiritual aspect here or in a short period of time my life. But I do know from my own life experiences about its influence.

Now many atheists, and perhaps other types, will criticize me and say that it is just my imagination. This does not perplex me. I know that I am happier this way. And being happier means that I can be more successful at whatever endeavors, I choose in this life.

Thank you for sharing your beliefs. I assume you are a pagan of some stripe?

Now I ask you to be honest with yourself and me. Have you witnessed directly or indirectly anything "supernatural", other than what other fundamentalists have told you is "supernatural"?

Yes.

The night I repented. Do I think this will be proof enough for you? No. But for me, the event was life changing.

But no, I don't see the "virgin mary" in fog covered windows, if that is what you mean. I do however believe the Bible is accurate in recounting the works of Christ, God's dealings with pharaoh, and God's dealings with the Israelites.

Stratnerd

Then why the question about "different designers"? Your question is answered in Genesis. The God of Scripture can account for the same buiding blocks in different kinds and left handed molecules sticking together.
Scripture doesn't work... I'm asking what is it about what we see in the world that suggests a single , multiple, independent, interactive designers. If you accept scripture as being true then there's no need for any evidence - in fact, evidence is irrelevent!

Remember, you pointed to sequences and said "designer" and I'm asking why do you know this from the actual sequences.

The sequences are not in a random order. We are now seeing sections that act to protect other sections from mutation, as per the new research. Evo needs abiogenesis for mother nature to begin, and she is having trouble with the smallest of building blocks, let alone putting them in the right order.
Mother nature had a near infinite experiments running at once for millions of years - some of those experiments probably interacted with each other. The best we can do is to run highly simplified models of those events. By smallest of building blocks, I assume you're talking about nucleotide triphospates? But these have been found in nature sans living organisms. About the left- right-handed problem. It is probably an artifact of all of life descended from a "single" working model. Like, for example, there are probably other proteins that can form but are not synthesized in organisms -why? Same thing, artifact of history.

john2001

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Originally posted by Nineveh

"The only real scientists on that link are dead people. The others are not players, hence their opinions are the opinions of laymen."

I think you are misrepresenting most of the people on that list.

Not at all. By "player" I mean active research scientist who contribute significantly to science. You have made the claim that somehow this reference means something, yet you have not directed me to a single scientific paper, or other scientific publication supporting that view. The only thing you have directed me to is a list of names.

You realize that there are 10's of thousands of scientists in the mainstream scientific community who simply ignore all of the stuff that creationists claim because it is a waste of time.The few of us who do pay any attention to creationism do so *only* because there is a concerted effort by creationists to inject creationist dogma into grade school and high school science classes. If this sort of thing were not going on, the rest of us would view it the way we view all of the other pseudoscientific materials that are out there.

(regarding left-handed amino acids)
And in the mean time, they still can't get them to stick together in a lab. I'm happy you feel they are onto something anyway :)

Since all of biochemistry is based on left-handed molecules, and scientists have been synthesizing everything from proteins to DNA molecules for decades, your comments are specious.

Unless of course the evidence leads to the thought darwin could be wrong....

Here is where Darwin could be wrong:
Darwin stressed natural selection as the primary operative mechanism in evolution. It is quite possible that natural selection really has only a secondary role, and that one of the mutation mechanisms---most likely genetic drift---really rules the day. That's about it.

(regarding Behe being an evolutionist)

Or perhaps he understands how evo science "chokes" on evidence that points away from chuck at any level.

"Although Darwin's mechanism--natural selection working on variation--might explain many things, however, I do not believe it explains molecular life. I also do not think it surprising that the new science of the very small might change the way we view the less small."

Behe does not dispute common descent, which is the phenomenon of evolution. No matter how you quote him out of context, spin doctor, or blatantly misrepresent Behe, Behe understands that the basic fact of common descent is not going to be changed by his ideas. He has proposed ID as an alternate mechanism of evolution. He has not science to back this up, only philosophical arguments.

The student will be able to explain how scientific and technological innovations as well as new evidence can challenge portions of or entire accepted theories and models...",

you left out:
with the addition of the examples of "atomic theory"," plate tectonic theory", "big bang theory", "cell theory", "theory of evolution", and "germ theory of disease".

Heinous!

Anyway from the ones I looked through, that was about the only one making headway. So in the mean time, chuck goes unopposed, to freely teach the unlearned it changing definitions and understandings of evo itself.

Basically "chuck" has survived the most intense criticism---that of real scientists---. The things you think are challenges for evolution are propaganda.

The typical "evidences against evolution" proposal is designed by creationists as a way to force creationist material to be taught in grade school or high school science classes. As anybody in science knows, there are no evidences against evolution, so there is nothing in scientific literature for the students to quote. Their only alternative would be to draw on pseudoscientific literature.

In the bill you site, similarly, all of the other items that are listed are standard model theories, and have similarly survived the rigorous testing of the scientific community.

"Soul" and "spirit" are pre-scientific notions which amount to the explanation that things move because there is a "little man" on the inside of them making them move. There is absolutely nothing to indicate that life is nothing more than chemical machinery. (Indeed, the modern ID movement believes that this "machinery" has to have been created.)

So, are you saying these things chuck can't explain don't exist?

This has nothing to do with "chuck", it has to do with our basic understanding of physics. If we are to believe that there is something other than physics and chemistry going on we would have to have some sort of experimental or observational evidence of that. As near as we can tell, "souls" and "spirits" do not exist. It is up to the proponents of these and other paranormal phenomena to provide the necessary extraordinary evidence necessary to establish the existence of said phenomena. Otherwise, we have no reason to consider these things as being real.

Instead, what believers in the paranormal do is to attack mainstream science as being "closedminded", "unfair", or attempt to blow the tiniest apparent anomaly out of proportion as an argument that is supposed to invalidate a standard model theory.

As to morality, love, humour, and other attributes that we seem to share with other animal species to greater of lesser degree, these things attributes seem to exist because of a survival benefit.

You can't be serious.

Sure, why not? Even you must have had contact with animals. The "creature" skills that we use to interact with our domesticated animals are part of the commonality of social structure that we share with other species. Sure, we do other things, but by and large when your kid is playing with his/her cat or dog, that is possible only because humans share some of the same nonverbal communication skills and emotional structures with the animals in question.

Compare for example other pet examples, such as lizards or tarantulas. Keeping such animals as "pets" is more a matter of mechanics, and more simple. The "warm and fuzzy" is simply not there.

So, now compare "warm and fuzzy" or the notions you have of "cuteness or friendliness" with taxonomy. It just so happens that taxonomically close animals are the most easily relatable to humans in an emotional or social sense. As we get further away in the tree of common descent, the more alien the species become.

Compare a guard dog, with a guard tree. The latter may be effective, the other merely is all bark and no bite.

(regarding Kenyon's extended hiatus from
science)
He seemed to have a bit to say on Unlocking.

It is easy to be the bitter pessimist. Virtually any scientist in any field can tear apart the work of his peers or of his own discipline. We see this all of the time, particularly in older scientists, for whom the discipline has passed them by. Kenyon has an axe to grind, and he is grinding it. However, he is definitely *not* doing science. He is merely complaining.

You will note that Kenyon is not talking to scientists, only to lay people. That is one of the warning signs that your self-styled scientific "expert" is probably selling you a bill of goods.

I read that article and posted straight from Nature.com. So the only real news is from the actual paper magazine? Anyway, the article was about comparing two chromosomes. You took issue with even that.

The differences cited in the Nature article are not large enough to support the notion of "separate descent" for humans and chimpanzees.

Common sense looks at research and marvels at the complexity. Have you bothered to look at the new study I've been posting about?

Common sense leads the individual to realize that the world of any scientific discipline is a vast huge sea of information, and that those disciplines are the work of large collections of intelligent, honest, and ethical people.

The best attitude that the person should take is one of asking questions that illuminate, rather than those that obfuscate, and that any failure of that individual to understand is likely caused by that individuals' ignorance, and not a deficiency of the scientific field.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Originally posted by Stratnerd

Scripture doesn't work... I'm asking what is it about what we see in the world that suggests a single , multiple, independent, interactive designers. If you accept scripture as being true then there's no need for any evidence - in fact, evidence is irrelevent!

No more or less than Issaac Newton, or Mendel, et al.

Remember, you pointed to sequences and said "designer" and I'm asking why do you know this from the actual sequences.

Because those sequences can't arise from random chance.

Mother nature had a near infinite experiments running at once for millions of years - some of those experiments probably interacted with each other. The best we can do is to run highly simplified models of those events. By smallest of building blocks, I assume you're talking about nucleotide triphospates? But these have been found in nature sans living organisms. About the left- right-handed problem. It is probably an artifact of all of life descended from a "single" working model. Like, for example, there are probably other proteins that can form but are not synthesized in organisms -why? Same thing, artifact of history.

According to what you believe.

According to what I believe, God got it right in 6 days on the first try.

servent101

The few of us who do pay any attention to creationism do so *only* because there is a concerted effort by creationists to inject creationist dogma into grade school and high school science classes.

There is also evolutionist dogma in the classroom – evolutionists creating what constitutes an explanation. Most informed people know that what is taught in high school is not science – it is dogma.

As anybody in science knows, there are no evidences against evolution,

Anyone employed in science who found evidence against evolution would know something is wrong – because evolution is considered a fact – and any evidence would just be thrown out as not accurate. If evolution were to be considered as what it is – a hypothesis – we may all be more likely to find the truth.

If we are to believe that there is something other than physics and chemistry going on we would have to have some sort of experimental or observational evidence of that. As near as we can tell, "souls" and "spirits" do not exist. It is up to the proponents of these and other paranormal phenomena to provide the necessary extraordinary evidence necessary to establish the existence of said phenomena. Otherwise, we have no reason to consider these things as being real.

To find out what is here – to determine the validity of an explanation, has been taken away from the realm of it’s origin – metaphysics – and has been shanghaied by the scientists in the field.

How would you know what constitutes necessary extraordinary evidence necessary to establish the existence of said phenomena? Sorry the field has been shanghaied – you will not find an answer to this question.

Common sense leads the individual to realize that the world of any scientific discipline is a vast huge sea of information, and that those disciplines are the work of large collections of intelligent, honest, and ethical people.

The best attitude that the person should take is one of asking questions that illuminate, rather than those that obfuscate, and that any failure of that individual to understand is likely caused by that individuals' ignorance, and not a deficiency of the scientific field.

People in science are for the most part intelligent, honest, and ethical people, though what was the difference between these people today and scientists a few hundred years ago. Logically in a few hundred years from now – what we consider science now will be as obsolete as what we considered Science back then.

Hopefully when we are wrong – we will admit it, and what constitutes being wrong and right, scientific fact or fact. Today if you cannot prove a certain reality exists using a certain method of deduction – Science will suggest that you have to – in order for it to exist. This is illogical as what determines reality is not subject to our scientific process. Just because scientists cannot prove by a certain method that something exists – does not prove it does not exist. But how would one know – especially at the grade school level.

With Christ’s Love

Servent101

Last edited:

Stratnerd

No more or less than Issaac Newton, or Mendel, et al.
if you want to get right down to epistemological questions then I think science would win over revelation easy - esp comparing science to Genesis.

Just make a list of predictions about the what the world would look like given each scenario and see which one works better. The answer is obvious and is the one that is taken up by the world as a whole - the alternative only persists because of religious fundies. I only wish Leveticus told us to wear underwear on our heads - that way we could spot those fundies (in undies) a mile off.

Because those sequences can't arise from random chance.
that doesn't eliminate the explanation of common descent with those sequences being important so you still can't point to a designer - especially since you don't know how a designer would go about designing. Moreover, as I pointed out before, we can predict the importance of sequences assuming an evolutionary paradigm something that can't be done otherwise.

According to what you believe.
and breaking no laws of nature... which is what you do.

Stratnerd

There is also evolutionist dogma in the classroom – evolutionists creating what constitutes an explanation. Most informed people know that what is taught in high school is not science – it is dogma.
sorry, but it is both. It has proved to be extremely good at predicting the observed world such that the alternatives are not reasonable. It can still be falsified and that hasn't happened.

Anyone employed in science who found evidence against evolution would know something is wrong – because evolution is considered a fact – and any evidence would just be thrown out as not accurate.
not really... I mean you can always check your discovery and collaborate it with ancillary hypotheses. Evidence is not a nebulous thing out there - you can check it, you can have others look at it and you can decide if it is real.
If evolution were to be considered as what it is – a hypothesis – we may all be more likely to find the truth.
evolution, by the standards of science, is the best approximation to truth that we have. It is being treated as a hypothesis also as the article that Niv posted suggests.

To find out what is here – to determine the validity of an explanation, has been taken away from the realm of it’s origin – metaphysics – and has been shanghaied by the scientists in the field.
not really.. it just that other explanations have proved fruitless.

How would you know what constitutes necessary extraordinary evidence necessary to establish the existence of said phenomena? Sorry the field has been shanghaied – you will not find an answer to this question.
why not by the same means we discover anything in any other field. Predictions -> observations -> acceptance/rejection -> ancillary hypotheses -> predictions. If evolution were false it would be uncovered just as any other theory/hypothesis.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Originally posted by john2001

Not at all. By "player" I mean active research scientist who contribute significantly to science. You have made the claim that somehow this reference means something, yet you have not directed me to a single scientific paper, or other scientific publication supporting that view. The only thing you have directed me to is a list of names.

The second guy on the list released his info on Mt St Helens not all that long ago. So, I guess you will believe as you like.

You realize that there are 10's of thousands of scientists in the mainstream scientific community who simply ignore all of the stuff that creationists claim because it is a waste of time.The few of us who do pay any attention to creationism do so *only* because there is a concerted effort by creationists to inject creationist dogma into grade school and high school science classes. If this sort of thing were not going on, the rest of us would view it the way we view all of the other pseudoscientific materials that are out there.

And in the mean time, evo still has free reign in pullik skool.

Since all of biochemistry is based on left-handed molecules, and scientists have been synthesizing everything from proteins to DNA molecules for decades, your comments are specious.

However, they can't get two left handeds to stick together. Making a copy of something that already works isn't solving the problem they are working on right now.

Behe does not dispute common descent, which is the phenomenon of evolution. No matter how you quote him out of context, spin doctor, or blatantly misrepresent Behe, Behe understands that the basic fact of common descent is not going to be changed by his ideas. He has proposed ID as an alternate mechanism of evolution. He has not science to back this up, only philosophical arguments.

Did you really watch Unlocking?

Basically "chuck" has survived the most intense criticism---that of real scientists---. The things you think are challenges for evolution are propaganda.

"Real scientists"? You mean like the real scientist who wrote this article? I guess you can argue against this man's credentials if you like, but I would wager he knows more about cells than most do.

The typical "evidences against evolution" proposal is designed by creationists as a way to force creationist material to be taught in grade school or high school science classes. As anybody in science knows, there are no evidences against evolution, so there is nothing in scientific literature for the students to quote. Their only alternative would be to draw on pseudoscientific literature.

Sounded to me like MO (the only state that seems to be getting anywhere) wanted to be able to present new research. I'm sorry, I don't find that as offensive as you do.

In the bill you site, similarly, all of the other items that are listed are standard model theories, and have similarly survived the rigorous testing of the scientific community.

Then evos shouldn't be so bent out of shape about it. Let the evidence speak for itself, after all it is a school we are talking about.

This has nothing to do with "chuck", it has to do with our basic understanding of physics. If we are to believe that there is something other than physics and chemistry going on we would have to have some sort of experimental or observational evidence of that. As near as we can tell, "souls" and "spirits" do not exist. It is up to the proponents of these and other paranormal phenomena to provide the necessary extraordinary evidence necessary to establish the existence of said phenomena. Otherwise, we have no reason to consider these things as being real.

Physics and chemistry doesn't explain a consience. I'll assume you are an atheist?

Instead, what believers in the paranormal do is to attack mainstream science as being "closedminded", "unfair", or attempt to blow the tiniest apparent anomaly out of proportion as an argument that is supposed to invalidate a standard model theory.

I personally think the problems with abiogenisis are pretty major. But I guess that's a matter of perspective.

Sure, why not? Even you must have had contact with animals. The "creature" skills that we use to interact with our domesticated animals are part of the commonality of social structure that we share with other species. Sure, we do other things, but by and large when your kid is playing with his/her cat or dog, that is possible only because humans share some of the same nonverbal communication skills and emotional structures with the animals in question.

I do not believe a cow has a sense of humor. I can't believe you do either.

"As to morality, love, humour, and other attributes that we seem to share with other animal species to greater of lesser degree, these things attributes seem to exist because of a survival benefit."

Compare for example other pet examples, such as lizards or tarantulas. Keeping such animals as "pets" is more a matter of mechanics, and more simple. The "warm and fuzzy" is simply not there.

So, now compare "warm and fuzzy" or the notions you have of "cuteness or friendliness" with taxonomy. It just so happens that taxonomically close animals are the most easily relatable to humans in an emotional or social sense. As we get further away in the tree of common descent, the more alien the species become.

Compare a guard dog, with a guard tree. The latter may be effective, the other merely is all bark and no bite.

None of what you have said explains why you feel animals have a moral standard or humor, among other things.

It is easy to be the bitter pessimist. Virtually any scientist in any field can tear apart the work of his peers or of his own discipline. We see this all of the time, particularly in older scientists, for whom the discipline has passed them by. Kenyon has an axe to grind, and he is grinding it. However, he is definitely *not* doing science. He is merely complaining.

You will note that Kenyon is not talking to scientists, only to lay people. That is one of the warning signs that your self-styled scientific "expert" is probably selling you a bill of goods.

The differences cited in the Nature article are not large enough to support the notion of "separate descent" for humans and chimpanzees.

Well, I didn't think you were arguing against aharvey's point. But that wasn't my point, nor is it what you took issue with.

Me: After only one comparison the differences are outstanding. So we shall see how many differences these comparisons yeild and how far evo will be willing to say, "none of the differences has been big enough to indicate that there is any problem with common descent."

You: One comparision? I suggest you get a clue. Comparative genetics has been practised for more than 20 years, and in that time the view of the relatedness of species has been clarified. The whole notion of common descent is indespensible for understanding those genetic similarities as well as any genetic differences.

The article, still from Nature.com still only talks about comparing chimp 21 and human 22.

The newer studies are even more suprising :)

Large collections of intelligence from humans is easy for you to spot, but get down to DNA and it's all an accident.

In general the best attitude to take in a discussion isn't one of condescension towards those who do not agree with you.

Stratnerd

Let the evidence speak for itself, after all it is a school we are talking about.
it has but religious fundies don't care about evidence! The reason we get bent out of shape, at least for me, is that the fundies are forcing their way into schools sans scientific backing.

aharvey

Hey, Strat,

Did you look at the data in that Brewer link? (Well, yeah, you must have, since you earlier observed that he managed to overlook the importance of extinctions and pitifully incomplete taxonomic sampling). Is he being sloppy (with his data reporting, that is), or am I misreading it?

Relevant part of table (sorry for the awkward formatting):

"Organism/predicted proteins (genes)/unidentified or no match
Escherichia coli/4288/38%
Synechocystis/3168/45%
Haemophilus influenza/1703/43%
Mycoplasma genitalium/468/32%
Overall average/--/29%"

First, are "predicted proteins" and "genes" really interchangeable?
Second, are "unidentified" and "no match" really interchangeable?
Third, the table says that 38% of the E. coli "predicted proteins or genes" [hereafter "ppg"] are "unidentified or unmatched" [hereafter "uu"], but the text seems to give much higher numbers ("Sixty percent of the E. coli sequences are completely unique, with less than 30% common to the sequences of these other bacteria. Thirty-eight percent of the E. coli genes have no known function.").
Fourth, consider ""In comparison to Haemophilus, Synechocystis, and Mycoplasma bacteria,of the 4,288 coded proteins in E. coli, there are only 111 proteins (2.6%) in common with these three eubacteria." This seems an odd way to make his point. The skeptic in me can't help but notice that merely by including Mycoplasma, which has only 468 ppg, Brewer has managed to, by definition, set the maximum possible proportion of shared E. coli ppg to 11%! I wonder how many of Mycoplasma's 468 ppg are found in E. coli's 4,228 ppg? I wonder how many ppg, whatever they are, are shared by all life forms? How many do you guess would be predicted by evolutionary theory?

servent101

Strathernd
not really.. it just that other explanations have proved fruitless.
This is in response to

And again
It has proved to be extremely good at predicting the observed world such that the alternatives are not reasonable.

I will agree that Christian dogma is more harmful than evolution dogma. Lowereing the bar as far as what constitues an explination - and calling that explination scientific because Christian dogma is so harmful is possibly logical ploy, or a betterment to society - but non the less this is not science.

not really... I mean you can always check your discovery and collaborate it with ancillary hypotheses. Evidence is not a nebulous thing out there - you can check it, you can have others look at it and you can decide if it is real.

evolution, by the standards of science, is the best approximation to truth that we have. It is being treated as a hypothesis also as the article that Niv posted suggests.

In other words if one theory about God is calkamany simply devise and extract truth in a series of conjectures based on limited information - information that is not adequate to determin the proof of what is being said, but make a theory where this is plausable, and call it scientific.

But is this not what the Religious dogma does? devise and extract truth in a series of conjectures based on limited information - information that is not adequate to determin the proof of what is being said,

Anyways we had this discussion before - and science at the univesity level is not what is taught in high school.

With Christ’s Love

Servent101

john2001

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Originally posted by Nineveh

The second guy on the list released his info on Mt St Helens not all that long ago. So, I guess you will believe as you like.

I assume that you are referring to Steve Austin of ICR. The man does *not* do science; he creates scientific sounding pseudoscience to bamboozle the unsuspecting.

Regarding his Mt. St. Helen's related claims about K-Ar dating, I would refer you to:
http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CD/CD014_1.html

Regarding his Grand Canyon Dating project:

In each case, he constructs an "experiment" exploiting systematic errors in his experimental set up in order to produce results that appear to support his young-earth position. (He is committing fraud.)

Another egregious item is Austin's claims regarding rapid erosion at Mt. St. Helens, he seeks to give the impression that he is the first to report this, when, in fact, he is reporting something has been long known by the geological community. He fails to reference the 1918 National Geographic Society report of its expedition into the Valley of 10,000 smokes in Alaska following the Katmai eruption.

The publications of ICR are not aimed at the scientific community, and, in fact, are not scientific publications at all, even though, to the unsuspecting, they may appear to be.

Yep. Saw it twice, once on a PBS station and the other time on a Christian station.

"Real scientists"? You mean like the real scientist who wrote this article? I guess you can argue against this man's credentials if you like, but I would wager he knows more about cells than most do.

A clever piece to be sure in that he carefully selects his examples to support his position. What he doesn't call your attention to is that prokaryotes routinely exchange genetic material and this is not confined to "species" (a term which is not precise when applied to prokaryotes). Depending on what particular collection of genetic markers you look at, different phylogenic trees can be made for bacteria owing to this horizontal transfer of genetic material.

Then evos shouldn't be so bent out of shape about it. Let the evidence speak for itself, after all it is a school we are talking about.

As if school isn't important.

I do not believe a cow has a sense of humor. I can't believe you do either.

"As to morality, love, humour, and other attributes that we seem to share with other animal species to greater of lesser degree, these things attributes seem to exist because of a survival benefit."

None of what you have said explains why you feel animals have a moral standard or humor, among other things.
Geez. It's obvious. The closer taxonomically animals are to humans the more emotional structure they share with us. (You can turn your back on your dog, but not on your snake.)

Now, moral *codes* seem to be a human thing. We seek to impose rules on ourselves and each other.

You: One comparision? I suggest you get a clue. Comparative genetics has been practised for more than 20 years, and in that time the view of the relatedness of species has been clarified. The whole notion of common descent is indespensible for understanding those genetic similarities as well as any genetic differences.

The article, still from Nature.com still only talks about comparing chimp 21 and human 22.

The newer studies are even more suprising :)
..its a detailed comparison. The differences are details. We don't expect apes and human to have the *same* genetic structure.

In general the best attitude to take in a discussion isn't one of condescension towards those who do not agree with you.

Ok. Then stop being condescending. I am only giving you tit for tat.

Dimo

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Nineveh posted:

Thank you for sharing your beliefs. I assume you are a pagan of some stripe?

Dimo:

Well if you say so. But that is not what I consider myself.

Have you actually read any of my posts? Or is it just that you are sticking to your party line again?

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Originally posted by Stratnerd

it has but religious fundies don't care about evidence! The reason we get bent out of shape, at least for me, is that the fundies are forcing their way into schools sans scientific backing.

I can't believe your prejudice. Did you bother to look at the credentials of the man who wrote the article I posted to you yesterday?

Stratnerd

I can't believe your prejudice. Did you bother to look at the credentials of the man who wrote the article I posted to you yesterday?
And he's a fundie! what's not to get???? I'm not saying he's stupid (so please please please don't put those words in my mouth) but I'll bet you another $50 that he's a "born again Christian" and, as such, must accept a literary interpretation of the Bible. Such interpretations, as can be pointed out, are unreliable - but he has no choice.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Originally posted by john2001

I assume that you are referring to Steve Austin of ICR. The man does *not* do science; he creates scientific sounding pseudoscience to bamboozle the unsuspecting.

Regarding his Mt. St. Helen's related claims about K-Ar dating, I would refer you to:

Regarding his Grand Canyon Dating project:

In each case, he constructs an "experiment" exploiting systematic errors in his experimental set up in order to produce results that appear to support his young-earth position. (He is committing fraud.)

Another egregious item is Austin's claims regarding rapid erosion at Mt. St. Helens, he seeks to give the impression that he is the first to report this, when, in fact, he is reporting something has been long known by the geological community. He fails to reference the 1918 National Geographic Society report of its expedition into the Valley of 10,000 smokes in Alaska following the Katmai eruption.

The publications of ICR are not aimed at the scientific community, and, in fact, are not scientific publications at all, even though, to the unsuspecting, they may appear to be.

... and so you you will believe as you like.

Yep. Saw it twice, once on a PBS station and the other time on a Christian station.

Then you should know a lot more about Kenyon than you appear to.

A clever piece to be sure in that he carefully selects his examples to support his position. What he doesn't call your attention to is that prokaryotes routinely exchange genetic material and this is not confined to "species" (a term which is not precise when applied to prokaryotes). Depending on what particular collection of genetic markers you look at, different phylogenic trees can be made for bacteria owing to this horizontal transfer of genetic material.

All I can say is... this guy seems more into the cell game than most on this thread.

As if school isn't important.

School is supposed to be a place to learn how to think, not what to think.

Geez. It's obvious. The closer taxonomically animals are to humans the more emotional structure they share with us. (You can turn your back on your dog, but not on your snake.)

Dogs do not have a sense of humor. I still can not believe you believe this.

Now, moral *codes* seem to be a human thing. We seek to impose rules on ourselves and each other.

I'm glad to see you don't believe morals are found at the zoo, like humor.

..its a detailed comparison. The differences are details. We don't expect apes and human to have the *same* genetic structure.

They were the ones suprised by the research results. So they may know a lil more about what they put in that article. Some others are suprised at how exactly the same some parts of our DNA is compared to mice and rats, too.

Ok. Then stop being condescending. I am only giving you tit for tat.

I haven't replied in kind to your unwarranted comments as per posts 496 and 497. So from here we can either be civil or end our convo.