Christian Man Fired From $60K Job for Sharing 'Audacity' Film With Lesbian Co-Workers

shagster01

So you're not much for job security or contracts then?

I agree with Knight's post.

In regards to yours, a contract is certainly something that must be honored by both parties. Most of us don't work under "contract" though. And job security is not a right.

Arthur Brain

I agree with Knight's post.

In regards to yours, a contract is certainly something that must be honored by both parties. Most of us don't work under "contract" though. And job security is not a right.

So, if you apply for a job and are accepted for the post you'd be quite happy if you could be effectively fired the following day for no particular reason or fault on your part? Funny, I think most people appreciate some form of job security whereby they know there's a regular wage going into the household instead of wondering when they might be sacked on some whim or some such...

Arthur Brain

Its called reality.

In some cases sure but not for the most part in my experience. If you have a job contract then both the employer and the employee have certain rights that benefit both parties. If an employee has no rights at all and can be sacked for no reason whatsoever then that really inspires a morale deprived workforce to do a good job doesn't it?

:plain:

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Social media has blurred many lines between personal and company time. This situation is an example. Companies today can discipline employees for smoking when at home if the company has an anti-nicotine policy.

AMR

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Social media has blurred many lines between personal and company time. This situation is an example. Companies today can discipline employees for smoking when at home if the company has an anti-nicotine policy.

AMR

that just opens the door for more "anti" policies. what next ? "no babies"?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
In some cases sure but not for the most part in my experience. If you have a job contract then both the employer and the employee have certain rights that benefit both parties. If an employee has no rights at all and can be sacked for no reason whatsoever then that really inspires a morale deprived workforce to do a good job doesn't it?

:plain:

Missouri is a 'fire at will' state. employers don't need any reason at all to fire somebody -

Arthur Brain

Missouri is a 'fire at will' state. employers don't need any reason at all to fire somebody -

If that's true then hey, be glad to be a rich corporate bastard who doesn't give a damn about people so long as his own pocket is lined and to hell with everyone else essentially. Scummy work plebs an all, who cares anyway really as long as the cats keep getting fatter?

shagster01

So, if you apply for a job and are accepted for the post you'd be quite happy if you could be effectively fired the following day for no particular reason or fault on your part? Funny, I think most people appreciate some form of job security whereby they know there's a regular wage going into the household instead of wondering when they might be sacked on some whim or some such...

As I said, contracts need be honored if there is one. Other than that, of course I like job security, but I don't view it as a right.

I'd feel secure enough though, because I trust my work ethic and I know I have and can earn the respect of my bosses. I don't need a law to force that respect. And if they don't want me, then I don't want to be there anyway.

Arthur Brain

As I said, contracts need be honored if there is one. Other than that, of course I like job security, but I don't view it as a right.

I'd feel secure enough though, because I trust my work ethic and I know I have and can earn the respect of my bosses. I don't need a law to force that respect. And if they don't want me, then I don't want to be there anyway.

Why do you like job security?

TracerBullet

Title VII Civil Rights Act of 1964 provides general rules for all private workplaces employing fifteen or more people. It stipulates that a company that allows employees to engage in non-work related conversations, such as those about politics, family, sports or other such topics, may not prohibit voluntary religious discussions between employees either.

Voluntary is the key word here. That means both parties in the conversation want to be engaging in it. Rouston was perusing an unwanted conversation.

shagster01

Outside of a written contract, job security is an illusion.

I worked at a place that seemed almost impossible to get fired from. You know who that job security hurt? The harder workers. As soon as the employees realize that as long as they do just enough they won't get fired, they stop there. That left all of the hard necessary work for those of us with integrity.

It's also the same reason I hate FMLA. Some sort of medical or family related leave of absence is understandable, but WAY too many people take advantage of it. There was a girl who was diagnosed with "chronic migraines." If she said she had a migraine she could call in as many times as she wanted and it wouldn't be held against her. She called in every single Monday saying that the stress of the start of the week gives her a migraine. Soon half of my department spontaneously got diagnosed with migraines. Another co-worker and I just had to start assuming we were going to be working alone on Mondays and Fridays.

Point being, those employees should be weeded out, not protected.

Sitamun

I worked at a place that seemed almost impossible to get fired from. You know who that job security hurt? The harder workers. As soon as the employees realize that as long as they do just enough they won't get fired, they stop there. That left all of the hard necessary work for those of us with integrity.

It's also the same reason I hate FMLA. Some sort of medical or family related leave of absence is understandable, but WAY too many people take advantage of it. There was a girl who was diagnosed with "chronic migraines." If she said she had a migraine she could call in as many times as she wanted and it wouldn't be held against her. She called in every single Monday saying that the stress of the start of the week gives her a migraine. Soon half of my department spontaneously got diagnosed with migraines. Another co-worker and I just had to start assuming we were going to be working alone on Mondays and Fridays.

Point being, those employees should be weeded out, not protected.

I agree completely. I once worked with a girl who would call in for so many medical issues. She on end called off for a Sunday morning shift claiming she had shingles. Next day she was right as rain!

I also find myself wondering if the people defending the man in this thread would still be defending him had he been Hindu or Muslim.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I also find myself wondering if the people defending the man in this thread would still be defending him had he been Hindu or Muslim.

We know for a fact that had the homo been the one fired, the liberals would be screaming on the streets.

Instead, the ideals of liberty upheld by the right have come to the fore in this discussion, which you are determined to cover up.