Christian Kids in the Public School

Layla

I said based one evey one I know.

So, you have no basis to say it's without merit, then.. given that you're making a judgement based on your experience alone.

And based on every one I know, it's exactly the case and worse. Like the gang rape of a retarded girl that was video taped in OH.

I don't know any homeschooled kids who aren't either socially backwards, or flat-out rebels who lie to their parents. I have the good sense to comprehend that it does not follow from this that all homeschooled kids are like this. Do YOU have any sense?

Maximeee

Death2impiety's Wife
Gold Subscriber
That's one thing I've always told people. If a child wants to learn, who are we to tell them, "You're too young to learn that sweetie. Wait a couple of years." Children are like sponges when it comes to learning. If you allow them to learn when they want to learn, you will help to foster a life-long love of learning.

Exactly! I still love to learn and my mom always supported that. Kids love to learn, they're born with that. We should ALWAYS encourage that. When I went to preschool, they thought my mom was tutoring me all day. The truth was, I was always "whining" to learn! "Mom, how do I spell that? Mom, what number comes after 10? Mom, what's a *insert difficult word here?" I was relentless!! :chuckle:

Layla

Do you have kids IA?

I'm 20. :shocked:

We even pulled our kids out of the private school setting, and homeschooling has been the best thing for them.

Good, I'm glad your kids are happy/healthy.

We had some good friends of ours who put their kids into public school after homeschooling them up to the 4th grade for their oldest. We sadly saw the whole family go downhill and get more and more involved with the public schools.

One night when we had them over for dinner, the mom was telling us about how her 5th grade son came home from school, and explained to her that he had watched a video in school that day explaining explicitly how to give and receive oral sex. She was not asked for permission for her son to see this information. Why she did not pull her kids out immediately is beyond me. We are not able to fellowship with them anymore because their kids are into all kinds of stuff that we wouldn't want our children to be exposed to.

I'm sorry, but we love our kids enough to NEVER put them in public school. I would die first. Seriously!

I don't see what's so complicated for you to grasp, here.. My education was nothing like that. I didn't learn how to give oral sex, I didn't learn how to roll a joint, I didn't learn how to put on a condom, I never got harassed or raped, and obviously I wasn't shot and killed. Some people do better in homeschool. Some public schools provide a good learning environment.

Layla

In fact homeschool kids get the better education. Homeschool kids test out higher across the board than any other students! (Public or private)

So? The issue isn't just about that. I do well in school (uni). Maybe I'd have done better with private school or homeschool, but I would have missed out on the majority of my experiences, which taught me a lot and made me who I am.

Maximeee

Death2impiety's Wife
Gold Subscriber
I'm 20. :shocked:

So? :)

I don't see what's so complicated for you to grasp, here.. My education was nothing like that. I didn't learn how to give oral sex, I didn't learn how to roll a joint, I didn't learn how to put on a condom, I never got harassed or raped, and obviously I wasn't shot and killed. Some people do better in homeschool. Some public schools provide a good learning environment.

I learned how to rolls joints, how to give blowjobs, how to seduce men, how to do drugs. I was sexually assaulted and the peer pressure to have sex was huge.

Layla

So.. that is waaay too young for me to be thinking about kids.. I'd like to educate myself, and be in a position to provide for them, before I consider having any.

I learned how to rolls joints, how to give blowjobs, how to seduce men, how to do drugs. I was sexually assaulted and the peer pressure to have sex was huge.

Which is exactly my point -- some public schools are awful, some are not. You can't generalise based on experience, as mine is no more applicable across the board as yours is.

Maximeee

Death2impiety's Wife
Gold Subscriber
Which is exactly my point -- some public schools are awful, some are not. You can't generalise based on experience, as mine is no more applicable across the board as yours is.

But - I haven't been to just one PS. Seeing that I was a terror, doing drugs etc, I got kicked out more than once. I was in 6 different schools and all of them were the same. Sex, drugs & rock 'n roll.

Layla

But - I haven't been to just one PS. Seeing that I was a terror, doing drugs etc, I got kicked out more than once. I was in 6 different schools and all of them were the same. Sex, drugs & rock 'n roll.

So, 6 schools is a representative sample of your countries schools? Or, worldwide? Really? :squint:

PKevman

So? The issue isn't just about that. I do well in school (uni). Maybe I'd have done better with private school or homeschool, but I would have missed out on the majority of my experiences, which taught me a lot and made me who I am.

Including atheism? :think:

Maximeee

Death2impiety's Wife
Gold Subscriber
As are the vast majority of public schools with their God-rejecting curriculum!

Exactly... Sometimes I think where I would be if I hadn't found God... It gives me the creeps! :) God saved me and I'm thankful for that every day of my life!

Layla

No, that's not what I said. I went to the best schools my city had to offer, yet all of them were awful.

But if you recognise that that's not a representative sample, you accept that you can't generalise all public schools based on your experience, right?

Layla

Including atheism? :think:

No, they taught christianity, actually. I was an atheist when I started school, and remained one during and on leaving.. It wasn't taught to me, it's my default.. I haven't been convinced by any faith or other.

PKevman

No, they taught christianity, actually. I was an atheist when I started school, and remained one during and on leaving.. It wasn't taught to me, it's my default.. I haven't been convinced by any faith or other.

What form of Christianity did they teach? Just curious. What things did you learn about Christianity and the Bible in your public school?

Spitfire

The still-fallen part of my being actually becomes jealous when I hear stories like this, my experiences at school having been nowhere near so excitingly scandalous when I was a teenager, but rather very dully inane. In my experiences, public school was more a matter of indoctrination than education. Professors rarely seemed very concerned with rather or not we actually understood anything, from biology to nutrition to environmentalism to politics, we were taught to simply accept what we were told and that it would be silly to even bother evaluating the validity of any contrary claims. In part, it was that the professors didn't seem to expect any better of us, as though had given up on us before even giving us a chance. But I think it was mostly that those professors themselves are products of the same system. Most of us just shuffled through all those years of school, not really learning anything, not really concerned about learning anything either, but almost without exception absolutely terrified of global warming and quite convinced that it (and pretty much everything else that is wrong in the world) is all the fault of the USA, and confident that if there is ever any kind of problem all that needs to be done is some committee or organization to draft some more legislation. It was usually the "bad" kids who realized that there was a problem with all this, which is why I fell in with them and began to dabble in racism, extreme nationalism, and the occult.

I still wonder how far I may have gone with those things if my Catholic faith, even during those times my faith was very weak, had not been present as a counter-balance.

Last edited:

ParsonJefferson

BANNED
Banned
In fact homeschool kids get the better education. Homeschool kids test out higher across the board than any other students! (Public or private)
Do you have any verifiable proof of that - across the board, and for all ages? Thanks!

Now... even if that is true, there are dozens of variables that make it a very hollow claim. For instance, by law, even mentally handicapped kids have to be mainlined in public schools, and take all tests. Consider what that does to the average public school test scores.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
So, you have no basis to say it's without merit, then.. given that you're making a judgement based on your experience alone.

Open your eyes. Read the post by the homeschoolers. "Sheltering" happens when a kid sits in a square white room all day, not when they get to go out into real life and learn while living. So yes, the socialization issue is a talking point that has no merit.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
On average, this may be true. But let's not be too quick to make broad generalizations, (i.e. homeschool kids are more intelligent than public school kids).

I don't think "intelligence" is the point, it's the education. While a kid might be allowed to slack behind in a class of 30 and maybe be removed to a remedial class, that's less likely in a one on one home setting where the parent can see immediate problems and expect a higher level of academic achievement.

ParsonJefferson

BANNED
Banned
Parson. I have agreed with a lot of what you have said in the past on other subjects. But I am going to have to rebuke you for this. This is wrong. If your kids are smart, that is great. Your whole attitude here is wrong. Plenty of homeschool kids are quite intelligent and get wonderful educations.

I'm going to assume you have also neg-repped DxPose for her ridiculous post that this was a response to.

Am I right? Or is it actually okay for a proponent of home-schooling to use the "loser" :loser: emoticon?