Christian Kids in the Public School

JustinFoldsFive

PastorKevin said:
In fact homeschool kids get the better education. Homeschool kids test out higher across the board than any other students!

On average, this may be true. But let's not be too quick to make broad generalizations, (i.e. homeschool kids are more intelligent than public school kids).

PKevman

Tell ya what... Care to put 3 of your kids up - academically - against my 3 "public school educated" kids? I'm talking about my 3 kids that did NOT learn to roll joints and put on condoms in public school.

Let me give you a hint... You would find yourself, and your kids, terribly humiliated. Let me throw in a little :loser: for your home-schooled education!

Parson. I have agreed with a lot of what you have said in the past on other subjects. But I am going to have to rebuke you for this. This is wrong. If your kids are smart, that is great. Your whole attitude here is wrong. Plenty of homeschool kids are quite intelligent and get wonderful educations.

PKevman

I read it, and wondered the same thing KMoney did.

And guess what? You're VERY wrong about what I did.

I got involved and made a difference in the Public School my kids were in.

If you want to do nothing but sit on your butt and criticize the Public School System, fine. But don't expect to be taken seriously, because talk is cheap and non-involved critics are a dime-a-dozen. Sorry...

Parson, Shadowmaid is a very young lady. She has been homeschooled, and is a wonderful testimony to young people. You should be very careful how you talk to someone. If she were my daughter I would not be too pleased with you at the moment.

PKevman

Oh good grief, either America has a MAJOR problem or you're just exhibiting snobbery and paranoia, I went to a public school - as did most of my friends- and its safe to say that none of us turned into drugged up sex maniacs :doh:

Nope. Just Universalists who embrace a false doctrine wholeheartedly..... :think:

PKevman

If you want to "have a nice discussion about it" you need to stop using extreme cases, and broad-brushing them as though they apply to every school. :eek:

As per our Sex Ed Curriculum... We wrote it ourselves (local pastors & youth pastors). Did this mean that "the condom lady" from Planned Parenthood was not allowed to teach? No, it doesn't. But it allowed me - and pastors like me - to be IN THE CLASSROOM FOR A WHOLE WEEK. We talked to the kids, we presented them information, we let them ask questions, we provided balanced views. We had captive audiences right in the school, for crying out loud!

I'm here to tell you that all these people who are screaming expletives about the Public Schools, and saying there is NOTHING that can be done are DEAD WRONG.

I've been in our public schools, I've been involved, I've made a difference.

We moved last year, and our daughter is now in an urban high school, with well over 2,000 students. She's doing GREAT. It's a GOOD school. As I write, she's sitting in the chair beside me, studying College-Bound Geometry. And she's a freshman.

In fact, just last fall, 3 students from that "evil" public high school got perfect scores on their ACT tests. Pardon the bluntness, but this is something that you will NOT have happen with home-schooled kids.

Do you have statistics that support this? Or are you just throwing up insults at homeschoolers off of the top of your head? Also, which would you say is more important, academic intelligence, or moral intelligence? Bill Clinton was an academically intelligent person. Morally he was a moron who would argue publicly what the meaning of the word "is" is.

Are you saying you were allowed to teach the Bible openly in your children's schools?

PKevman

I'm with you on this whole Religion of Evolution crap.

But here's the deal... They teach it EXCLUSIVELY at every secular college and university in the nation. Who's going to protect little Johnny there? Perhaps that is one of the main reasons that 85+% of "Christian" kids, who go to a secular college or university, walk away from their faith within 2 years. They're not ready to face the rigors of the real world!

My wife & I RAISED our kids. We didn't just "let them grow up" or "let them get older". We helped them deal with all this secular nonsense as they were growing up. We talked with our kids all the time. We discussed the Religion of Evolution. We talked openly with them about sex, and why it's worth waiting for marriage. We discussed drugs and alcohol. And our sons, who are now in their early 20s, have NOT lost their faith, they have NOT been blindsided by things they'd never heard of.

Who says your kids HAVE to go to a secular college? Might not it be a great way to change things by sending your kids to a great Christian college? There are plenty out there! In fact who says they have to GO to college in the first place? Society? What happened to conforming not to the world? Making a lot of money? What happened to setting your sights on heavenly things? I have a brother who hasn't gone to college and he is such a smart kid and a good businessman, that he is doing quite well for himself and he is only 20 years old.

Your disrespect of homeschoolers is saddening.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I know that there is much controversy surrounding this topic, but I would like to hear from some people if they believe Christian kids should be educated in the public school?
My husband and I pulled my daughter out of public school at the beginning of the second grade because her teacher suggested it when I wouldn't make :jessilu: sit still and not go ahead in her books. Her teacher told me that public schools are not equipped for intelligent children anymore.

I made the mistake, after my husband passed away, of re-enrolling her in public school in the fourth grade. It was the same situation, even though the principal promised me that there would be advanced classes for her since she obviously got bored with work that was too easy. That lasted for one semester.

I, then, taught Spanish in my church's private school for a semester in the sixth grade. So, she got a free semester of private schooling.

We've been homeschooling steadily since then. :jessilu: will be finishing the eleventh grade on Friday. Although we go through bouts of her not wanting to do her schoolwork, I've managed to "trick" her into learning by taking her shopping with me, having her cook dinner, and sewing/crochetting. She doesn't realize that all of those things involve math of some sort, I guess, because she hates math but hasn't complained about any of those three things. We're also working on history by doing our family tree. A lot of our family is hard to trace because they were undocumented Indians. But, she's enjoyed finding out that we're descendants of Davey Crockett. She was also thrilled when she found out that one of her aunts is a descendant of Amelia Earhardt. :) For science, she does a lot of animal care (helping take care of my neighbor's horses and taking care of our dogs and her cat) and some gardening. For PE, she does horseback riding and swimming.

Before anyone says anything about socialization, let me tell you that this girl can socialize! But, unlike most public schooled kids that I know, she can socialize with any age group and really enjoys it. She loves little kids and loves talking to the elderly in the nursing homes. While I do go through the occasional bout of rebellion, she's respectful to most adults (I've taught her that if, after treating adults respectfully, she sees adults treating me wrong or treating her wrong, she's more than welcome to not be respectful. I just told her that she cannot be rude.). She has tons of friends that live within ten miles of us and talks to them at least once a day on the phone, if not face-to-face. She has even more friends on the internet that she talks to on the phone and on the computer. She has her friends from church. She gets to see them whenever we go to church or see them in the store. She also calls them. She has her friends from TOL (ShadowMaid, especially), who she talks to every now and then.

Unlike kids who are her age (and younger) who go to public school, my daughter is not having sex with any boys, does not believe that homosexuality/bisexuality is cool, and has never touched drugs or alcohol.

I think I will stick with what works for us. ;)

PKevman

Here are some questions for you...

Who is going to teach your kids advanced trigonometry, chemistry and physics?

Personally, I am qualified to teach some subjects at a college level. But there are other subjects that I am not qualified to teach - even at a junior high level. It is silly to think that I can do a better job teaching some of these specific disciplines than those who have college (and advanced college) degrees in them.

A home-schooled kid won the National Geography Bee. That's great!

Parson, I would not elevate trigonometry, chemistry, or physics above my child's heart and soul. I would not say it is more important to learn those things than to keep my kids from being exposed to the wickedness that goes on in public schools, and to have their faith assaulted on a daily basis with evolutionary theory. To see all of their friends involved in sex, drugs, and rock n' roll. To learn the kinds of slogans that were popular in MY public school, such as "Sex, drugs, and rock n' roll, speed, weed, and birth control, life sucks and then you die, so ____ the world and lets get high." I cannot count how many times slogans like these were slung around our school by students as early as the 6th grade.

In most public schools, if a young boy has not had sex by his junior year in high school he is made fun of by his peers. I know because SADLY I was one of those arrogant young football players making fun of my peers, engaging in the womanizing mindset! I would never want that for my kids. NEVER.

There are many methods for teaching your children these days. There are homeschool conventions in which curriculum is sold for any subject you can imagine. There are audio CD's, DVD's, instructional videos, online programs, any number of DIFFERENT ways to educate your kids in subjects that you might not be strong in. All of which DO NOT involve sending them off to a cesspool of immoral activity and anti-God teaching!

I pray you will see the wisdom of our posts and stop assaulting your brothers and sisters in Christ who homeschool.

PKevman

So home-schoolers just turn on the TV to educate their kids? What kind of education is THAT? Does the TV answer questions the kids have?

(See how easy this is, to turn the tables and grill home-schoolers the way home-schoolers grill the public schools? ;))

Let's say for a moment you were right. That homeschoolers are idiots compared to public schoolers. (Which statistics utterly refute)

The fact remains that MORAL intelligence will be what affects a person for all eternity. Academic intelligence can only help in this life, which is extremly short in light of eternity.

Maximeee

Death2impiety's Wife
Gold Subscriber
Parson, I would not elevate trigonometry, chemistry, or physics above my child's heart and soul. I would not say it is more important to learn those things than to keep my kids from being exposed to the wickedness that goes on in public schools, and to have their faith assaulted on a daily basis with evolutionary theory. To see all of their friends involved in sex, drugs, and rock n' roll. To learn the kinds of slogans that were popular in MY public school, such as "Sex, drugs, and rock n' roll, speed, weed, and birth control, life sucks and then you die, so ____ the world and lets get high." I cannot count how many times slogans like these were slung around our school by students as early as the 6th grade.

So true, PK! When I was in public school, slogans like that were everyday stuff. Glorifying drugs & sex before marriage - awful.

In most public schools, if a young boy has not had sex by his junior year in high school he is made fun of by his peers. I know because SADLY I was one of those arrogant young football players making fun of my peers, engaging in the womanizing mindset! I would never want that for my kids. NEVER.

That also goes for girls. I know that for me, the peer pressure was a huge thing! I ended up having sex at a very young age, because I thought it was "cool". Thank God, I didn't get pregnant or get a STD, but I was one of the lucky ones. I know many people who had babies in their teens and who contracted one or more STD's. Even though it didn't hurt my body, it damaged my soul and my selfesteem.

When I have kids, they are going to be homeschooled and trained in the ways of the Lord!

PKevman

maximeee said:
So true, PK! When I was in public school, slogans like that were everyday stuff. Glorifying drugs & sex before marriage - awful.

Yes, there is a huge lack of proper training homes these days. I agree wholeheartedly that is part of the problem. But the public schools teach Godless curriculum that the children come from animals. Then they wonder why the kids walk into classrooms and blow their classmates away. They are behaving like the animals they are told they are!

That also goes for girls. I know that for me, the peer pressure was a huge thing! I ended up having sex at a very young age, because I thought it was "cool".

I am so sorry to hear that. It is extremely common. My niece goes to public school and had FIVE classmates who had children in the 7TH GRADE!

Thank God, I didn't get pregnant or get a STD, but I was one of the lucky ones. I know many people who had babies in their teens and who contracted one or more STD's. Even though it didn't hurt my body, it damaged my soul and my selfesteem.

Praise God you came out of it!

When I have kids, they are going to be homeschooled and trained in the ways of the Lord!

Amen! Never let anything anyone says or does cause you to waver from that commitment!
:up:

Nomad

Also, which would you say is more important, academic intelligence, or moral intelligence?

Please don't think that moral intelligence and a public education are mutually exclusive

Who says your kids HAVE to go to a secular college? Might not it be a great way to change things by sending your kids to a great Christian college? There are plenty out there! In fact who says they have to GO to college in the first place? Society? What happened to conforming not to the world? Making a lot of money? What happened to setting your sights on heavenly things? I have a brother who hasn't gone to college and he is such a smart kid and a good businessman, that he is doing quite well for himself and he is only 20 years old.

Unfortunately, unless someone is going to seminary the 'Christian' colleges are Christian in name only and required service attendance of some sort. The point of college is not to make a lot of money, it is to be educated for a career. Certainly some people can have great careers without college (i.e. Bill Gates) but they are exceptional.

First off, there's nothing wrong with rock n' roll!:guitar:

Many kids can go through public schools with an unwavering faith, and can influence their friends positively and win some for Christ. I can tell you that in my school, nor any of the ones my friends went to inasmuch as I know was peer pressure for sex so strong.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No one in particular, but I'm hoping Parson Jefferson will read it. :)

ParsonJefferson said:
I read it, and wondered the same thing KMoney did.

And guess what? You're VERY wrong about what I did.

I got involved and made a difference in the Public School my kids were in.

If you want to do nothing but sit on your butt and criticize the Public School System, fine. But don't expect to be taken seriously, because talk is cheap and non-involved critics are a dime-a-dozen. Sorry...

I want to address the last part of your post here, ParsonJefferson. Knowing what public schools have done in their area, to them, and sometimes to one or more of their children, sometimes causes parents to speak out very harshly against public schools.

Although I support homeschooling with all of my heart and believe that a badly home-educated child is better off that a well-educated public school graduate, I believe that it should be the parent alone who determines how his/her child/ren are educated. Yet, you will see me bad-mouth public schools along with the best of them. My own experiences as both a student and a parent with public schools have left me with a sour taste in my mouth.

Like you, I was a parent who wanted to be involved in my child's education. I made it clear at both public schools she attended. The first one was quick to show both my daughter and me the door. The second one basically told me that parents should leave all of education to the people who are trained to do the job and stay out of it. Boy! Was that the wrong thing to tell me after two years of homeschooling or what? :chuckle: Needless to say, I yanked my daughter out of that school quicker than an oiled pig will slip out of your hands.

One question that I've posed to "professional educators" is, "Who, exactly, do you think educated my daughter before she started school?" All I've gotten in response was blank stares. Not one of them want to answer that question because it shows that a parent can, and maybe should, educate their own child/ren. I've had a public school teacher tell me that I shouldn't have allowed my daughter to learn to read before she was in second grade because it caused problems with her wanting to go ahead of her classmates. Well, she taught herself to read when she was two years old. And, she didn't learn from reading Dick and Jane books either; she read newspapers and encyclopedias. The first indication I had that we would have problems with school was when she was eighteen months old. She took a Phillips head screwdriver, took apart my alarm clock, and put it back together (missing only one spring). I just about had a heart attack when I saw her putting it back together. :chuckle:

You, and others, think that we are wrong for not sending our children out to be little missionaries in the public schools. Well, I happen to agree with the other parents who have said that we should leave that job to Christian adults who have already had their educations completed. Christian children are rarely ready to evangelize to their friends and classmates. It's hard enough to do when you're an adult. But, with the newer rules at schools about Christian jewelry not being allowed, Christian t-shirts not being allowed, Bibles not being allowed, and in some cases, prayer meetings not being allowed (When I was in high school, the principal outlawed our bringing our Bibles to study on our own time during lunch break and said that we weren't allowed to meet before school in the quad for a short prayer meeting.), how can our children effectively minister to other children? Things are going to get worse before they get better, ParsonJefferson.

PKevman

I want to address the last part of your post here, ParsonJefferson. Knowing what public schools have done in their area, to them, and sometimes to one or more of their children, sometimes causes parents to speak out very harshly against public schools.

Although I support homeschooling with all of my heart and believe that a badly home-educated child is better off that a well-educated public school graduate, I believe that it should be the parent alone who determines how his/her child/ren are educated. Yet, you will see me bad-mouth public schools along with the best of them. My own experiences as both a student and a parent with public schools have left me with a sour taste in my mouth.

Like you, I was a parent who wanted to be involved in my child's education. I made it clear at both public schools she attended. The first one was quick to show both my daughter and me the door. The second one basically told me that parents should leave all of education to the people who are trained to do the job and stay out of it. Boy! Was that the wrong thing to tell me after two years of homeschooling or what? :chuckle: Needless to say, I yanked my daughter out of that school quicker than an oiled pig will slip out of your hands.

One question that I've posed to "professional educators" is, "Who, exactly, do you think educated my daughter before she started school?" All I've gotten in response was blank stares. Not one of them want to answer that question because it shows that a parent can, and maybe should, educate their own child/ren. I've had a public school teacher tell me that I shouldn't have allowed my daughter to learn to read before she was in second grade because it caused problems with her wanting to go ahead of her classmates. Well, she taught herself to read when she was two years old. And, she didn't learn from reading Dick and Jane books either; she read newspapers and encyclopedias. The first indication I had that we would have problems with school was when she was eighteen months old. She took a Phillips head screwdriver, took apart my alarm clock, and put it back together (missing only one spring). I just about had a heart attack when I saw her putting it back together. :chuckle:

You, and others, think that we are wrong for not sending our children out to be little missionaries in the public schools. Well, I happen to agree with the other parents who have said that we should leave that job to Christian adults who have already had their educations completed. Christian children are rarely ready to evangelize to their friends and classmates. It's hard enough to do when you're an adult. But, with the newer rules at schools about Christian jewelry not being allowed, Christian t-shirts not being allowed, Bibles not being allowed, and in some cases, prayer meetings not being allowed (When I was in high school, the principal outlawed our bringing our Bibles to study on our own time during lunch break and said that we weren't allowed to meet before school in the quad for a short prayer meeting.), how can our children effectively minister to other children? Things are going to get worse before they get better, ParsonJefferson.

OUTSTANDING post! :up:

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
In fact, just last fall, 3 students from that "evil" public high school got perfect scores on their ACT tests. Pardon the bluntness, but this is something that you will NOT have happen with home-schooled kids.
Pardon my bluntness, but that's malarky! My friend is a homeschooling mother of eight kids. When her oldest son graduated he took the SAT, instead of the ACT. And, guess what. He scored a perfect score. In fact, most homeschooled high schoolers that I know have scored either a perfect score or close to perfect score on the ACT, the SAT, and the ASVAB tests.

As a public school graduate, I can say that I got a 33 out of 36 on the ACT and a 98 out of 100 on the ASVAB. My recruiter said that I got the highest score by a woman on the first half of the test and the highest overall score on the test ever at that time (1987). The reason I didn't join the military is because I wanted to go into nuclear physics and my recruiter said that only ten people were chosen for that program a year, and one of those ten was a woman!

I will be scheduling my daughter to take both the ACT and the ASVAB tests next year. In fact, I might try to get her to take the ASVAB this summer so that she doesn't have to deal with two tests in the same general time frame. Like me, my daughter tests extremely well (on the national standardized tests, she scores in the high 90s in percentage...she always scores well above grade level). I'm not bragging. It's a fact. We both do well under the pressure of a time limit and score high.

Maximeee

Death2impiety's Wife
Gold Subscriber
One question that I've posed to "professional educators" is, "Who, exactly, do you think educated my daughter before she started school?" All I've gotten in response was blank stares. Not one of them want to answer that question because it shows that a parent can, and maybe should, educate their own child/ren. I've had a public school teacher tell me that I shouldn't have allowed my daughter to learn to read before she was in second grade because it caused problems with her wanting to go ahead of her classmates. Well, she taught herself to read when she was two years old. And, she didn't learn from reading Dick and Jane books either; she read newspapers and encyclopedias.

Same here! My first years of education were received here in Holland. When I was 8, we moved to the US. Even though I was 8, I was already in 4th grade, because I was put one grade ahead in Holland.

When we got to the US, they put me in 3rd grade "because of my age". My parents didn't agree and the school made me do a whole battery of tests. The result? At 8 years old, I was ready for 6th grade. 6th grade!!!

My mom refused to put me in 6th grade because of the age difference. They told my mom she shouldn't have taught me so much. I was the one who wanted to learn!

I remember at 2 years old, cuddling up with my mom and asking her to explain or spell every word in the newspaper that I didn't understand. I asked her to spell streetnames for me and so on.

They don't understand that children WANT to learn!

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Same here! My first years of education were received here in Holland. When I was 8, we moved to the US. Even though I was 8, I was already in 4th grade, because I was put one grade ahead in Holland.

When we got to the US, they put me in 3rd grade "because of my age". My parents didn't agree and the school made me do a whole battery of tests. The result? At 8 years old, I was ready for 6th grade. 6th grade!!!
The same thing happened to both my daughter and me, with the exception of our being totally educated in the US. :chuckle:

My mom refused to put me in 6th grade because of the age difference. They told my mom she shouldn't have taught me so much. I was the one who wanted to learn!

I remember at 2 years old, cuddling up with my mom and asking her to explain or spell every word in the newspaper that I didn't understand. I asked her to spell streetnames for me and so on.

They don't understand that children WANT to learn!
That's one thing I've always told people. If a child wants to learn, who are we to tell them, "You're too young to learn that sweetie. Wait a couple of years." Children are like sponges when it comes to learning. If you allow them to learn when they want to learn, you will help to foster a life-long love of learning.