Christian Kids in the Public School

Mr. 5020

Yes I AM smarter than that - and that's the whole point.

I don't have to run down home-schoolers, and people who send their kids to private schools, in an attempt to make myself feel better about sending my kids to public school.

Others here should pick up on that...
Is it possible that they have a genuine concern?

For example, a lot of times I am accused of simply belittling Catholicism. That is not the case!

I am genuinely concerned for their well-being, and am trying to warn them to get out.

Mr. 5020

Hey Nomad! I gave you a shout-out earlier. :chuckle:
I agree with this, but to use your children as tools for that is just wrong.

On a personal note, I am finishing up my first year working in the public school system. It's horrible, but, I must admit, I live in South Texas with one of the worst school systems in America. Parents that get involved are shunned on a weekly basis. We've had two shootings this month in my district, and two others in nearby districts. And just last week, I met a 6th grade girl that is pregnant.

And to answer a question asked earlier by kmoney, when I graduated from high school (in 2001), 46% of my fellow graduates were illiterate.

And Nomad...let's roll. :)

Nomad

I noted. I posted a bit earlier in response to DX, but with you and PF going back and forth I haven't found anything to say. You know I'll come in if need be

ParsonJefferson

BANNED
Banned
Is it possible that they have a genuine concern?

For example, a lot of times I am accused of simply belittling Catholicism. That is not the case!

I am genuinely concerned for their well-being, and am trying to warn them to get out.

Of COURSE they have a legitimate concern! Absolutely! But the proper thing to do is NOT to sit on your lazy butt and complain. Get up and DO something about it!

IF you come to the determination that home-schooling is right for you and your family, good! But home-schoolers don't have to be obnoxious butt-holes about it. That serves no purpose.

And it serves no purpose to use the Public Schools as a scapegoat for all a family's problems. "My little angel NEVER smoked pot until she was introduced to it at PUBLIK SKOOL." Well, guess what? None of my kids smoke pot - so it must not be the public school that does that to a kid...

Mr. 5020

Of COURSE they have a legitimate concern! Absolutely! But the proper thing to do is NOT to sit on your lazy butt and complain. Get up and DO something about it!
Is warning people to get out not considered doing something??
IF you come to the determination that home-schooling is right for you and your family, good! But home-schoolers don't have to be obnoxious butt-holes about it. That serves no purpose.
He said butt! *giggle*
And it serves no purpose to use the Public Schools as a scapegoat for all a family's problems. "My little angel NEVER smoked pot until she was introduced to it at PUBLIK SKOOL." Well, guess what? None of my kids smoke pot - so it must not be the public school that does that to a kid...
I agree that's it not the cause of all problems, but surely you agree that peer pressure exists, right?

Nomad

5020 isn't a sitting on his butt type...except when we were debating schooling for several hours...

Hold the kid responsible.

ParsonJefferson

BANNED
Banned
Is warning people to get out not considered doing something??
He said butt! *giggle*
I agree that's it not the cause of all problems, but surely you agree that peer pressure exists, right?

Warning people to "get out" does nothing to help the Public School System, no.

And yes, peer pressure exists in public schools - just like it exists everywhere.

Butt... :thumb:

JustinFoldsFive

called_out said:
I took my kids out of public school after second grade. The reason was because I noticed bad changes in attitude in opposition to the Christian values I was trying to instill in them. They were at an age where they were very impressionable. They had too many teachers...both faculty and other children. Too much worldly influence at that age is hard to overcome. Public school does not allow place for religious conviction. They were away for 6 hours a day 5 days a week for 180 days of the year. That is roughly 1,080 hours a year that are crucial to their development. Parents do not have much control of what their children are taught in public school. My children have since grown and remain Christian. Taking responsibility for their training myself was the smart way to go. Many people told me I was wrong because they would not be able to deal with other people. I am glad I did not listen to those people...

In other words, the indoctrination would not have been successful had you not cut them off from contact with the general population?

That's the attitude; get 'em while they're young!

By the way, has anyone seen Jesus Camp? That movie scares me.

ParsonJefferson

BANNED
Banned
5020 isn't a sitting on his butt type...except when we were debating schooling for several hours...

Hold the kid responsible.

You cannot hold the kids responsible, when their parents either don't care, aren't around, or defend them.

THIS is the REAL problem with Public Schools. PARENTS. And we're simply reaping - now - what has been being sown for decades.

Nomad

You cannot hold the kids responsible, when their parents either don't care, aren't around, or defend them.

THIS is the REAL problem with Public Schools. PARENTS. And we're simply reaping - now - what has been being sown for decades.

Haha, I wrote an article in the school newspaper fussing at parents...and they may have their share of the blame, but ultimately the kid is the agent of choice.

ParsonJefferson

BANNED
Banned
Haha, I wrote an article in the school newspaper fussing at parents...and they may have their share of the blame, but ultimately the kid is the agent of choice.

Eventually, yes. But at what age? And where do we think kids are learning all this garbage and horrible behavior?

Further, you cannot "hold kids responsible" when parents won't let you.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Yes you can. I lived in a single-parent household for most of my childhood. My dad just wasn't around because my mom didn't want him to have anything to do with my sister and me. I did really good in public school because I chose to do so. Everything was easy for me, so I could have very easily sloughed off for a year or two and it wouldn't have affected me in a major way. My sister, on the other hand, dropped out of high school because she wanted to get married.

Now, if you had said, "This is a big part of the problem with public schools: parents," I might have somewhat agreed with you. Parson, I've homeschooled my daughter for 10 years now because the schools were too afraid that if they advanced her the other students would get jealous. Those were the actual words of her teachers. That's ridiculous! And, my daughter has chosen to focus on her studies. I told her that if she didn't want to do it, that was up to her (as soon as she turned 16 and "knew more than mom"). But, I also pointed out that if she didn't do it, that she could blame no one but herself if she ended up finding herself without a decent job later in life. I told her the same thing when she was in public schools (K thru first grades and one semester of fourth grade). While in public school, she decided that she didn't want to do the work because it was too easy for her.

And, with the way violence at schools has increased over the years, I'm glad I decided to homeschool her. :jessilu: will be finishing what's supposed to be twelfth grade next year. She will probably finish her curriculum about halfway through the year. So, I will have to enroll her in community college for the rest of the year, unless she chooses to work. She's wanting to go to Saint Mary's of the Woods College in 2009 and study physical therapy and hippotherapy (pt using horses).

ParsonJefferson

BANNED
Banned
Yes you can. I lived in a single-parent household for most of my childhood. My dad just wasn't around because my mom didn't want him to have anything to do with my sister and me. I did really good in public school because I chose to do so. Everything was easy for me, so I could have very easily sloughed off for a year or two and it wouldn't have affected me in a major way. My sister, on the other hand, dropped out of high school because she wanted to get married.

Now, if you had said, "This is a big part of the problem with public schools: parents," I might have somewhat agreed with you. Parson, I've homeschooled my daughter for 10 years now because the schools were too afraid that if they advanced her the other students would get jealous. Those were the actual words of her teachers. That's ridiculous! And, my daughter has chosen to focus on her studies. I told her that if she didn't want to do it, that was up to her (as soon as she turned 16 and "knew more than mom"). But, I also pointed out that if she didn't do it, that she could blame no one but herself if she ended up finding herself without a decent job later in life. I told her the same thing when she was in public schools (K thru first grades and one semester of fourth grade). While in public school, she decided that she didn't want to do the work because it was too easy for her.

And, with the way violence at schools has increased over the years, I'm glad I decided to homeschool her. :jessilu: will be finishing what's supposed to be twelfth grade next year. She will probably finish her curriculum about halfway through the year. So, I will have to enroll her in community college for the rest of the year, unless she chooses to work. She's wanting to go to Saint Mary's of the Woods College in 2009 and study physical therapy and hippotherapy (pt using horses).

Way to go, mom! :thumb:

Nomad

Eventually, yes. But at what age? And where do we think kids are learning all this garbage and horrible behavior?

Further, you cannot "hold kids responsible" when parents won't let you.

The problems that have been talked about include sex and drugs most noticeably. Most of those times it's the kids responsibility and choice. The times when it belongs to the parents are blatantly obvious (moms talking on phone with boyfriend while 2nd grader is doing drugs she learned from watching mom...stuff like that)

How can someone prevent you from holding someone responsible?

PKevman

Oh, that part didn't surprise me.. this is TOL, afterall. I was just wondering where exactly he lives that people regularly get taught how to swear and give oral sex, or get raped by their teachers, or shot on campus.. Ok, scratch the last one, forgot I was talking to Americans. :p

Do you have kids IA? We even pulled our kids out of the private school setting, and homeschooling has been the best thing for them.

We had some good friends of ours who put their kids into public school after homeschooling them up to the 4th grade for their oldest. We sadly saw the whole family go downhill and get more and more involved with the public schools.

One night when we had them over for dinner, the mom was telling us about how her 5th grade son came home from school, and explained to her that he had watched a video in school that day explaining explicitly how to give and receive oral sex. She was not asked for permission for her son to see this information. Why she did not pull her kids out immediately is beyond me. We are not able to fellowship with them anymore because their kids are into all kinds of stuff that we wouldn't want our children to be exposed to.

I'm sorry, but we love our kids enough to NEVER put them in public school. I would die first. Seriously!

PKevman

Unless you know every homeschooler on the planet, I don't see how you can say it's without merit. My experience tells me that public school can provide a great education without any of the problems mentioned in this thread, but I know that that's not always the case..

In fact homeschool kids get the better education. Homeschool kids test out higher across the board than any other students! (Public or private)

PKevman

Using the public schools as a mission field is fine for grown adults, not for children who are still in training and premature in their faith. All of the “witnessing” done at school should be left up to mature, Christian teachers or school workers who have been called by God to work in that field. Christian children should be receiving an exclusively Christian education so they are fully equipped for the battle once they are grown.

Great post! :up: