Bought and Washed, NOT Predestinated

ttruscott

There is no scripture that says God has predestinated anyone to salvation.

Sure it does for those who have the ears to hear:

Romans 8:29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters.

Do you want to argue that a sinner can be conformed to the image of HIS Son WITHOUT being redeemed, reborn or 'saved' as you put it?

And
Romans 8:30 And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

Do you really want to argue that those HE justifies are not saved? Or that those HE glorifies are not saved? Or that they were not predestined to this salvation?

The problem is not in the lack of scripture but in your ignoring the meaning of such verses for your own pride.

Robert Pate

Banned
Sure it does for those who have the ears to hear:

Romans 8:29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters.

Do you want to argue that a sinner can be conformed to the image of HIS Son WITHOUT being redeemed, reborn or 'saved' as you put it?

And
Romans 8:30 And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

Do you really want to argue that those HE justifies are not saved? Or that those HE glorifies are not saved? Or that they were not predestined to this salvation?

The problem is not in the lack of scripture but in your ignoring the meaning of such verses for your own pride.

The only predestinated ones in Romans 8:30 are the ones that were predestinated to be conformed to the image of his Son.

The scripture does not say that they were predestinated to salvation.

Conformed to the image of his Son
Called.
Justified.
Glorified.

Nothing about predestinated to salvation.

beloved57

The only predestinated ones in Romans 8:30 are the ones that were predestinated to be conformed to the image of his Son.

Called.
Justified.
Glorified.

Its the same thing, Jesus Christ is Salvation ! When the OLD Patriarch Simenon seen the babe Christ Lk 2:25-30

25 And, behold, there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon; and the same man was just and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel: and the Holy Ghost was upon him.

26 And it was revealed unto him by the Holy Ghost, that he should not see death, before he had seen the Lord's Christ.

27 And he came by the Spirit into the temple: and when the parents brought in the child Jesus, to do for him after the custom of the law,

28 Then took he him up in his arms, and blessed God, and said,

29 Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace, according to thy word:

30 For mine eyes have seen thy salvation,

To be conformed to the Image of Christ, one must be saved from the penalty, power of sin, thats Salvation, also its a work of the Spirit 2 Cor 3:18

But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

pate, you really sound like a foolish man, all because you reject the Gospel !

Robert Pate

Banned
Its the same thing, Jesus Christ is Salvation ! When the OLD Patriarch Simenon seen the babe Christ Lk 2:25-30

To be conformed to the Image of Christ, one must be saved from the penalty, power of sin, thats Salvation, also its a work of the Spirit 2 Cor 3:18

But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

pate, you really sound like a foolish man, all because you reject the Gospel !

God has reconciled the whole world to himself by Jesus Christ, 2 Corinthians 5:19. No one has been predestinated.

beloved57

God has reconciled the whole world to himself by Jesus Christ, 2 Corinthians 5:19. No one has been predestinated.

False teaching, for millions upon millions are under Gods condemnation and wrath John 3:18,36 how can they be reconciled to God? They are not!

Robert Pate

Banned
False teaching, for millions upon millions are under Gods condemnation and wrath John 3:18,36 how can they be reconciled to God? They are not!

You think that there is something wrong with the Bible.

There is nothing wrong with the Bible, but there is plenty wrong with you.

You don't understand it because you are void of the Holy Spirit.

beloved57

You think that there is something wrong with the Bible.

There is nothing wrong with the Bible, but there is plenty wrong with you.

You don't understand it because you are void of the Holy Spirit.

Explain how men and women under Gods Wrath and condemnation are also reconciled to God? That is a contradiction!

lifeisgood

You could have simply stated that clearly in your post I responded to instead of your broadly worded "Tambora one time asked a Calvinist:". Why the omission as if to give the impression that any person claiming to be a Calvinist is unwilling to answer?

I ask your forgiveness. It was not my intention to imply that Calvinists are unwilling to answer. I wasn't sure who was the person Tambora was addressing, I had to go and research. I will be more careful next time.

Then you actually do believe in predestination. Only the folks like b57 believe God created from an unfallen mass of humanity persons destined for Hell. The Reformed believe that this lump of clay was a fallen mass of humanity out of which merciful God chose some to be saved and chose not to choose others to be saved, leaving them therefore in their sin. A fallen humanity deserves nothing but justice from God, not mercy. Mercy is getting what you do not deserve, justice is getting what you do. That God chose to save even one single person should make all rejoice in His bountiful mercy.

I believe that what is predestined is God's Plan of Salvation. Not people.

If I understand you correctly, your stated view is that God's predestined plan to redeem any and all who call upon the Lord based upon the Lord's active and passive obedience will be saved and that those so saved actually have their names in the Book of Life. I certainly believe all who call upon the Lord will be saved and no one but God knows who those persons are, too. I am not seeing how you think you have escaped believing that God actually chose those that will actually call upon Him. Did God not know?

I believe God has foreknowledge.

I do not believe God forces anyone to call upon His name.

You used two labels, so there is that. ;)

Accordingly, these sort of "I refuse to be labeled" claims ring hollow to me and piques my normal curiosity. As soon as someone begins to lay out what he or she believes, there is normally an appropriate, albeit not always exact, label for said beliefs. These labels move a discussion about sacred matters forward, else much time is spent sorting out what one believes about this or that when all the while descriptors for said beliefs exist to jump start the discussion. Stating you are a "Christian" is wonderful for most situations. Yet, the Mormon or JW knocking on my door says the same. Are you a Mormon? A JW? How do I (or anyone) know with whom I am discussing a matter of deep importance with without a more accurate understanding of where their beliefs begin and end? If you are content to be a "Christian" (a label) and you are greeting another who uses the same label who after some discussion you learn to be a Mormon or a JW, do you not think "He or she is not a Christian?" Again, "not a Christian" is a label.

I meant to say that 'labels' over people only brings divisiveness in the BOC, the same when people say, I'm African-American, etc., all it brings is divisiveness in this Country.

For me Christian, is not a label. It is a way of life.
For me I am an American, is not a label. It is freedom (well, until there will be no more freedom).

For me the only label I accept for believers is Christian.
For me the only label I accept as being a part of this Country is American.
Protestant, Reformed, Catholic, Evangelical, Baptist, ad nauseum, is irrelevant for me. It only brings divisiveness to the BOC.
African-American, Mexico-American, Brazilian-American, ad nauseum, is irrelevant for me. It only brings divisiveness to this Country.

The point is what 'labels' promote - divisiveness.

When I ask someone, Have you accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior?
I do not want to hear 'I am a Calvinist.' 'I am a Pentecostal.' 'I am a Baptist.'
I want to hear I am a Christian.

In discussions involving Scripture doctrine, one must be more precise and fortunately history of the church militant has afforded various labels to aid in that precision. We should not fear these labels, but embrace them where they are generally accurate and, if necessary, take the time to explain where one may depart from what the label assumes. Are you a Protestant? Another label. Do you know what you are protesting as a Protestant?

I am not afraid of labels. I am sorry if I gave that impression.
I am afraid of what labels produce most of the time - divisiveness.

Last edited:

Brother Ducky

Called.
Justified.
Glorified.

OK, so you think at least some are predestined to be conformed to the image of the Son, and that consequently/subsequently those who are so predestined are then called, justified and glorified?

Are you going to argue that all those who are conformed, called, justified and glorified are not saved?

Robert Pate

Banned
OK, so you think at least some are predestined to be conformed to the image of the Son, and that consequently/subsequently those who are so predestined are then called, justified and glorified?

Are you going to argue that all those who are conformed, called, justified and glorified are not saved?

Of course they are saved, but they are not saved because they have been predestinated.

They are saved because they heard the Gospel and believed it, Ephesians 1:13.

Brother Ducky

Of course they are saved, but they are not saved because they have been predestinated.

They are saved because they heard the Gospel and believed it, Ephesians 1:13.

So are you arguing that there are some that are predestined to be conformed, called, justified and glorified that are not saved?

Robert Pate

Banned
So are you arguing that there are some that are predestined to be conformed, called, justified and glorified that are not saved?

It was God's plan from the foundation of the world that those who would believe on his Son Jesus Christ would be conformed to his image, Ephesians 1:13.

No one is conformed to the image of Christ that does not have the Holy Spirit. It is the work of the Spirit to conform one to the image of Christ.

We receive the Spirit by believing the Gospel, Ephesians 1:13.