Bought and Washed, NOT Predestinated

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Tambora one time asked a Calvinist:
Do you tell your children when you put them to bed that God loves them?
No answer given.
I wonder what "Calvinist" was actually asked this question. A Baptist Calvinist may have a different answer given their credo-baptistic view, versus the Reformed paedo-baptistic view.

As to the latter (my own view), the children of believers of the Reformed view most certainly do so as their children have been baptized and are considered, if and until demonstrating otherwise, to be children of the promise in the convenant.

You have your answer.

Perhaps we need a thread (in the ECT forum only) wherein verifiable sincerely asked questions that have not been answered by the Calvinist and/or Reformed are posed. I know of no one holding these views that refuses to answer. Obviously, questions asked with the purpose of mockery and holding one in disdain possess no obligatory warrant upon the Calvinist or Reformed to answer. Persons that do not want to make their questions known publicly are free to PM me anytime and I will do my best to provide a reasoned response.

AMR

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I often ask those who are Calvinists when was there ever a moment in their life when they trusted the Lord AFTER hearing and believing the word of truth, the gospel of their salvation and get the same response.
Who exactly are you asking?

There was never a moment I did not assent, trust, and believe (i.e., faith) after being re-born (regenerated) by ordinary means of the hearing of the Good News. For to claim otherwise is to claim one can believe before actually being re-born. This is contrary to Scripture, for no one can have faith unless God grants it.

You have your answer.

AMR

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Creeds and confessions are worthless.

All that we need is the Bible. the Bible is a witness for Christ and his Gospel.
Says the man who just made a confession. Each time you post your own thoughts about this or that you are confessing what you believe. Your creed is your own words. Yet, when others having been indwelt by the same Spirit you claim speak to what they believe, you cry, "Man made creed, confession!"

We all confess something about what we believe, else we stand for nothing and fall for everything.

The confessions serve a purpose of unifying a community of saints, for instruction, and for growth in one walks of faith. None of them are infallible, and all so state, for the norming norm is Scripture.

Your "Just Me and My Bible" claim is to effectively to state that anytime someone summarizes what they believe to be an accurate teaching of Scripture, that they have made worthless statements. Given that, you are the champion of worthlessness given the hundreds of repetitive threads you have made containing all your man-made declarations.

Your statement is just self-righteousness wrapped in foolishness. The Scripture is clear about admonishing the church to confess the patterns of its sound teachings. All your fawning over Brinsmead, whom you claim taught you so much, speaks to your own willingness to absorb the confessions of others.

Don't be double-minded, Robert. :AMR:

AMR

Last edited:

heir

TOL Subscriber
God chose all of humanity in his Son Jesus Christ, Ephesians 1:4.
No, Robert. Ephesians is written TO believers (Ephesians 1:1 KJV). This is about adoption and inheritance.

We know this to be true because God reconciled the whole world unto himself by Jesus Christ, 2 Corinthians 5:19.
We're not talking reconciliation of the world,

God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto Himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them (2 Corinthians 5:19 KJV) as God the Father made Christ to be sins for us that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him (2 Corinthians 5:21 KJV).

And even with that said, even though the righteousness of God which is by faith OF Jesus Christ is unto all, it is only upon all them that believe (Romans 3:21-22 KJV). The man Christ Jesus gave Himself a ransom for all (1 Timiothy 2:4-6 KJV), but not all will receive the love of the truth that they can be saved (2 Thessalonians 2:10 KJV).

Reconciliation is not the same subject! We're talking about being predestinated unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to Himself!

Ephesians 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

Ephesians 1:4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: ( see Rom 8:28-30 )

Ephesians 1:5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,

Ephesians 1:6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

The word "Forknew" or "Forknowledge" does not necessarily mean that God knows ahead of time who will accept his Son Jesus Christ.
I believe it means what it says.

Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Romans 8:30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

What it means is that God has forknowledge that some will believe on his Son Jesus Christ and be conformed to his image. Who the some are remains to be seen.
Men sure are on a power trip and can't let God have what is clearly His and in this case, His foreknowledge. You mean that it remains to be seen for you, but it says God foreknew! And PTL too that based upon that foreknowledge, He'll know exactly when to shout and deliver us out of this present evil world (Galatians 1:3-5 KJV, 1 Thessalonians 4:16-18 KJV)!

beloved57

No, Robert. Ephesians is written TO believers (Ephesians 1:1 KJV). This is about adoption and inheritance.

We're not talking reconciliation of the world,

God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto Himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them (2 Corinthians 5:19 KJV) as God the Father made Christ to be sins for us that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him (2 Corinthians 5:21 KJV).

And even with that said, even though the righteousness of God which is by faith OF Jesus Christ is unto all, it is only upon all them that believe (Romans 3:21-22 KJV). The man Christ Jesus gave Himself a ransom for all (1 Timiothy 2:4-6 KJV), but not all will receive the love of the truth that they can be saved (2 Thessalonians 2:10 KJV).

Reconciliation is not the same subject! We're talking about being predestinated unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to Himself!

Ephesians 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

Ephesians 1:4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: ( see Rom 8:28-30 )

Ephesians 1:5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,

Ephesians 1:6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

I believe it means what it says.

Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Romans 8:30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

Men sure are on a power trip and can't let God have what is clearly His and in this case, His foreknowledge. You mean that it remains to be seen for you, but it says God foreknew! And PTL too that based upon that foreknowledge, He'll know exactly when to shout and deliver us out of this present evil world (Galatians 1:3-5 KJV, 1 Thessalonians 4:16-18 KJV)!

False teaching!

Brother Ducky

If you are not trusting in predestinationism or Calvinism, then why do you still embrace it?

I believe that the Reformed system is the best summary of what the Bible teaches. Are there problematical verses? Of course there are. Are there problematical verses for any other system? Of course there are.

I do not trust Calvinism. I trust the God of the Bible.

Cedarbay

There was never a moment I did not assent, trust, and believe (i.e., faith) after being re-born (regenerated) by ordinary means of the hearing of the Good News. For to claim otherwise is to claim one can believe before actually being re-born. This is contrary to Scripture, for no one can have faith unless God grants it.

You have your answer.

AMR
Simply, well said.

lifeisgood

I wonder what "Calvinist" was actually asked this question. A Baptist Calvinist may have a different answer given their credo-baptistic view, versus the Reformed paedo-baptistic view.

As to the latter (my own view), the children of believers of the Reformed view most certainly do so as their children have been baptized and are considered, if and until demonstrating otherwise, to be children of the promise in the convenant.

You have your answer.

Perhaps we need a thread (in the ECT forum only) wherein verifiable sincerely asked questions that have not been answered by the Calvinist and/or Reformed are posed. I know of no one holding these views that refuses to answer. Obviously, questions asked with the purpose of mockery and holding one in disdain possess no obligatory warrant upon the Calvinist or Reformed to answer. Persons that do not want to make their questions known publicly are free to PM me anytime and I will do my best to provide a reasoned response.

AMR

B57 was the Calvinist in question. There was no mockery involved in the question posed to this particular Calvinist in the particular thread. He still has not answered the question.

I do not believe God predestined people to salvation/damnation.

I believe God predestined His Plan of Salvation - Jesus Christ and His work at the Cross.

Whosoever (man/woman/boy/girl) will call on the Name of the Lord, the Lord will save.

Whosoever (man/woman/boy/girl) name will be found written in God's book, God has saved.

One of the reason I dislike immensely, I mean immensely, names/titles over people, e.g., I'm a Calvinist, etc., all it does is bring divisiveness in the BOC, the same when people say, I'm African-American, etc., all it brings is divisiveness in this Country.

No, I am a Christian.
No, I am an American.

heir

TOL Subscriber

There was never a moment I did not assent, trust, and believe (i.e., faith) after being re-born (regenerated) by ordinary means of the hearing of the Good News.
What did you hear? How were you saved?
For to claim otherwise is to claim one can believe before actually being re-born.
Please get your terms straight. We are not "reborn", but a new creature (2 Corinthians 5:17 KJV). The washing of regeneration was shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Lord (Titus 3:5-6 KJV). IOW, it was His washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost, not ours.
This is contrary to Scripture, for no one can have faith unless God grants it.
God will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth as the man Christ Jesus gave Himself a ransom for ALL to be testified in due time (1 Timothy 2:4-6 KJV). God will save anyone today, anywhere, no matter what they were doing while they were there when they believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
We are not "reborn", but a new creature (2 Corinthians 5:17 KJV).

Is being reborn different from being born again?

Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
(John 3:3 NKJV)​

beloved57

What did you hear? How were you saved? Please get your terms straight. We are not "reborn", but a new creature (2 Corinthians 5:17 KJV). The washing of regeneration was shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Lord (Titus 3:5-6 KJV). IOW, it was His washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost, not ours. God will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth as the man Christ Jesus gave Himself a ransom for ALL to be testified in due time (1 Timothy 2:4-6 KJV). God will save anyone today, anywhere, no matter what they were doing while they were there when they believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.

False teaching, God has promised Salvation to One particular people, Israel Isa45:17 and Jesus was raised a Savior unto Israel Acts 13:23 !

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
B57 was the Calvinist in question. There was no mockery involved in the question posed to this particular Calvinist in the particular thread. He still has not answered the question.
You could have simply stated that clearly in your post I responded to instead of your broadly worded "Tambora one time asked a Calvinist:". Why the omission as if to give the impression that any person claiming to be a Calvinist is unwilling to answer?

I do not believe God predestined people to salvation/damnation.

I believe God predestined His Plan of Salvation - Jesus Christ and His work at the Cross.

Whosoever (man/woman/boy/girl) will call on the Name of the Lord, the Lord will save.

Whosoever (man/woman/boy/girl) name will be found written in God's book, God has saved.
Then you actually do believe in predestination. Only the folks like b57 believe God created from an unfallen mass of humanity persons destined for Hell. The Reformed believe that this lump of clay was a fallen mass of humanity out of which merciful God chose some to be saved and chose not to choose others to be saved, leaving them therefore in their sin. A fallen humanity deserves nothing but justice from God, not mercy. Mercy is getting what you do not deserve, justice is getting what you do. That God chose to save even one single person should make all rejoice in His bountiful mercy.

If I understand you correctly, your stated view is that God's predestined plan to redeem any and all who call upon the Lord based upon the Lord's active and passive obedience will be saved and that those so saved actually have their names in the Book of Life. I certainly believe all who call upon the Lord will be saved and no one but God knows who those persons are, too. I am not seeing how you think you have escaped believing that God actually chose those that will actually call upon Him. Did God not know?

One of the reason I dislike immensely, I mean immensely, names/titles over people, e.g., I'm a Calvinist, etc., all it does is bring divisiveness in the BOC, the same when people say, I'm African-American, etc., all it brings is divisiveness in this Country.

No, I am a Christian.
No, I am an American.
You used two labels, so there is that. ;)

Accordingly, these sort of "I refuse to be labeled" claims ring hollow to me and piques my normal curiosity. As soon as someone begins to lay out what he or she believes, there is normally an appropriate, albeit not always exact, label for said beliefs. These labels move a discussion about sacred matters forward, else much time is spent sorting out what one believes about this or that when all the while descriptors for said beliefs exist to jump start the discussion. Stating you are a "Christian" is wonderful for most situations. Yet, the Mormon or JW knocking on my door says the same. Are you a Mormon? A JW? How do I (or anyone) know with whom I am discussing a matter of deep importance with without a more accurate understanding of where their beliefs begin and end? If you are content to be a "Christian" (a label) and you are greeting another who uses the same label who after some discussion you learn to be a Mormon or a JW, do you not think "He or she is not a Christian?" Again, "not a Christian" is a label.

In discussions involving Scripture doctrine, one must be more precise and fortunately history of the church militant has afforded various labels to aid in that precision. We should not fear these labels, but embrace them where they are generally accurate and, if necessary, take the time to explain where one may depart from what the label assumes. Are you a Protestant? Another label. Do you know what you are protesting as a Protestant?

That said, I wholeheartedly agree that labels may lead to distress. I am comfortable being labeled Reformed and/or Calvinist. One need not look far to see (as in this thread) how these labels lead to all manner of nonsense from those that do not take the time to actually understand what the labels actually mean. Sadly, persons constructing straw men of Calvinists' or Reformeds' views by claiming we operate from the same presuppositions they do and therefore believe about our beliefs what they believe about our beliefs leaves no real hope for honest discussion.

If such persons would avail themselves of an accurate summary of our beliefs, e.g., WCF, with a nice exposition of the same here, much clarity would ensue. Unfortunately some prefer to just parrot others in discussion forums and not dig deeper.

AMR

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What did you hear? How were you saved?
Asked and answered.

Please get your terms straight.
Exactly what I mean when I noted:

Obviously, questions asked with the purpose of mockery and holding one in disdain possess no obligatory warrant upon the Calvinist or Reformed to answer.

My kingdom for a honest discussion with the reasoned irenic. ;)

Nevertheless, I will indulge you for just a wee bit. :AMR:

We are not "reborn", but a new creature (2 Corinthians 5:17 KJV).
Your quibble is with Our Lord, not me.

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1635831#post1635831

I tend to use regenerated (the common word of the Reformation before happy-clappy Finneyism) to signify what others call "being born again" or "being re-born". Sometimes I omit "regenerated" as it is sadly a trigger word for the rabid anti-Calvinist or just those new to deeper discussions of theology.

AMR

Puppet

BANNED
Banned
Asked and answered.

Exactly what I mean when I noted:

My kingdom for a honest discussion with the reasoned irenic. ;)

Nevertheless, I will indulge you for just a wee bit. :AMR:

Your quibble is with Our Lord, not me.

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1635831#post1635831

I tend to use regenerated (the common word of the Reformation before happy-clappy Finneyism) to signify what others call "being born again" or "being re-born". Sometimes I omit "regenerated" as it is sadly a trigger word for the rabid anti-Calvinist or just those new to deeper discussions of theology.

AMR

STAY away from Finneyism !!!!