Being Rich Is A Sin

2003cobra

Many of you use OT to justify your disobedience.

Jesus teaches responsibility to His followers and many of your disregard them by using the OT.

There is only one of me, not many.

To what types of disobedience are you making reference? I am curious and would appreciate an answer.

Do you consider being wealthy disobedience? You must if you think it is a sin.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
There is only one of me, not many.

To what types of disobedience are you making reference? I am curious and would appreciate an answer.

Do you consider being wealthy disobedience? You must if you think it is a sin.

I am stating overall traits of the churches.

You are just one of them.

2003cobra

I am stating overall traits of the churches.

You are just one of them.

I am not a church. I am an individual follower of Jesus Christ.

What types of disobedience justified by the OT were you referring to?

Is having wealth one of the disobedient acts you meant? What are others?

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
On the contrary, I am a believer and wealth gives me a way to do good work for the kingdom of God. Jesus told us to feed the hungry, to cloth the naked, to help the oppressed. Wealth provides a means to serve God, which makes it important for righteous reasons.

I said
Have you given as much as you are suppose to?

[2Co 8:11-15
11 but now you also must complete the doing [of it]; that as [there was] a readiness to desire [it], so [there] also [may be] a completion out of what [you] have.
12 For if there is first a willing mind, [it is] accepted according to what one has, [and] not according to what he does not have.
13 For [I do] not [mean] that others should be eased and you burdened;
14 but by an equality, [that] now at this time your abundance [may supply] their lack, that their abundance also may [supply] your lack--that there may be equality.
15 As it is written, "He who [gathered] much had nothing left over, and he who [gathered] little had no lack."

Look at the poor and how much they give. And what Jesus says about them.

[Luk 21:1-4
1 And He looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the treasury,
2 and He saw also a certain poor widow putting in two mites.
3 So He said, "Truly I say to you that this poor widow has put in more than all;
4 "for all these out of their abundance have put in offerings for God, but she out of her poverty put in all the livelihood that she had."

meshak

BANNED
Banned
I am not a church. I am an individual follower of Jesus Christ.

What types of disobedience justified by the OT were you referring to?

Is having wealth one of the disobedient acts you meant? What are others?

I think I explained my point clearly.

good day.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Righteousness is not determined by how much money you give. Righteousness is determined by what percentage you give from what you have. Do you give until you have nothing left over.

15 As it is written, "He who [gathered] much had nothing left over, and he who [gathered] little had no lack."

iouae

Righteousness is not determined by how much money you give. Righteousness is determined by what percentage you give from what you have. Do you give until you have nothing left over.

Squeaky do you still have two coats, or two pairs of shoes, or two shirts, or two pairs of underpants?

If you have then you are breaking the following scripture, and you have much to repent of.

Luk 3:11
He answereth and saith unto them, He that hath two coats, let him impart to him that hath none; and he that hath meat, let him do likewise

marhig

I said
Jesus became poor just to make the poor rich in faith.

[Jas 2:5
5 Listen, my beloved brethren: Has God not chosen the poor of this world [to be] rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him?

[2Co 8:9
9 For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though He was rich, yet for your sakes He became poor, that you through His poverty might become rich.
[Eph 1:7
7 In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace
The richness of Christ's isn't the wealth of this world, he refused everything satan had to offer and forsook the flesh to do the will of God. The riches that Christ Jesus brought us is the word of God through the Spirit to save us from the world and heal us, that's the riches that Christ gives us not worldly wealth.

marhig

For your first question, I quoted 1 Timothy 6, which was written after the ascension of Jesus.

On the second question: Christians still have a sin nature. They aren’t always perfect. Some do get envious. It is wonderful if you never sin, but that is not the case for all of us.
I do sin, I'm not perfect, I just hope that I don't wilfully sin because I know that it comes back on me if I do, we are to turn from sin, and if I realise that I have sinned, I go to God and say sorry. And if Christ is in our heart, then it is possible to overcome the works of the flesh and the ways of the world by the power of the Spirit, because he who is in those born of God is stronger than he who is of the world.

marhig

On the contrary, I am a believer and wealth gives me a way to do good work for the kingdom of God. Jesus told us to feed the hungry, to cloth the naked, to help the oppressed. Wealth provides a means to serve God, which makes it important for righteous reasons.
Wealth is not of God, wealth is of the world

As I said, those born of God should find it very hard to have any wealth whilst there are poor in the world. It's easy to give out of plenty, it's harder to give out of very little, but I believe that if we belong to Christ, that's exactly what we will do, and we will share whatever we have, even if it's our last, when see the need.

marhig

The OT does provide guidance. Jesus read and quoted the OT scriptures. I don’t disregard that, do you?

And I don’t disregard Him, and the New Testament doesn’t tell people wealth is sin. It says the wealthy should be generous. If I may ask, are you generous?
Meshak is right, the old testament is brought up to suit and it is dismissed when it doesn't suit. Jesus showed us the way, and he turned away from building up in this world, and that includes wealth as riches. He is our perfect example to follow.

It's not money that's the root of all evil, it's the love of it. But I believe that if we have tons of money in the bank, whilst there are people in need, and we can't give it out and let go of it, then we love money.

lifeisgood

Being rich is inconsiderate for the poor.

Verse, please.

Being rich is so against Jesus' principle of love.

Verse where Jesus says that love has to do with being rich or not?

Jesus is for the whole world, not just for a few countries.

Correct.

When we think about other country's poverty, we cannot stay rich. We can enjoy life without being rich.

Not what Jesus said at all. Jesus said that we will always have poor people. (Matthew 26)

There are too many things against being rich. It is not of Jesus.

So, now you are accusing God of making Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Salomon, etc., etc., to sin.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Squeaky do you still have two coats, or two pairs of shoes, or two shirts, or two pairs of underpants?

If you have then you are breaking the following scripture, and you have much to repent of.

Luk 3:11
He answereth and saith unto them, He that hath two coats, let him impart to him that hath none; and he that hath meat, let him do likewise

I said
lol You must be careful with gross exaggerations. And bearing false witness. They will condemn you. I would have to say I don't find underpants in here anywhere. I think your missing the context. At one time or another I have given all that away. Except for the underpants. Do you really think I should repent because I haven't given away my used underpants??????

Luke 3:8-14
8 "Therefore bear fruits worthy of repentance, and do not begin to say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham as our father.' For I say to you that God is able to raise up children to Abraham from these stones.
9 "And even now the ax is laid to the root of the trees. Therefore every tree which does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire."
10 So the people asked him, saying, "What shall we do then?"
11 He answered and said to them, "He who has two tunics, let him give to him who has none; and he who has food, let him do likewise."
12 Then tax collectors also came to be baptized, and said to him, "Teacher, what shall we do?"
13 And he said to them, "Collect no more than what is appointed for you."
14 Likewise the soldiers asked him, saying, "And what shall we do?" So he said to them, "Do not intimidate anyone or accuse falsely, and be content with your wages."
(NKJ)

Matt 23:24-25
24 "Blind guides, who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel!
25 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you cleanse the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of extortion and self-indulgence.
(NKJ)

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
The richness of Christ's isn't the wealth of this world, he refused everything satan had to offer and forsook the flesh to do the will of God. The riches that Christ Jesus brought us is the word of God through the Spirit to save us from the world and heal us, that's the riches that Christ gives us not worldly wealth.

I said
Bless you.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Verse, please.

Verse where Jesus says that love has to do with being rich or not?

Correct.

Not what Jesus said at all. Jesus said that we will always have poor people. (Matthew 26)

So, now you are accusing God of making Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Salomon, etc., etc., to sin.

I said

James 2:1-9

1 My brethren, do not hold the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with partiality.
2 For if there should come into your assembly a man with gold rings, in fine apparel, and there should also come in a poor man in filthy clothes,
3 and you pay attention to the one wearing the fine clothes and say to him, "You sit here in a good place," and say to the poor man, "You stand there," or, "Sit here at my footstool,"
4 have you not shown partiality among yourselves, and become judges with evil thoughts?
5 Listen, my beloved brethren: Has God not chosen the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him?
6 But you have dishonored the poor man. Do not the rich oppress you and drag you into the courts?
7 Do they not blaspheme that noble name by which you are called?
8 If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself," you do well;
9 but if you show partiality, you commit sin, and are convicted by the law as transgressors.
(NKJ)

marhig

1 Timothy 6

But godliness with contentment is great gain.

For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out

And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.

For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.

Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
1 Timothy 6

And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.

For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.

Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses

I said
Very good.

iouae

Do you really think I should repent because I haven't given away my used underpants??????

Luke 3:8-14

10 So the people asked him, saying, "What shall we do then?"
11 He answered and said to them, "He who has two tunics, let him give to him who has none; and he who has food, let him do likewise."
(NKJ)

I think you should feel terrible because you have eaten today but others have not.

My real question is - At what point should a Christian feel guilty that they have not given away enough?

Is it when the TV evangelist guilts you into giving to him?

Is it when the last person on earth is clothed and fed?

Is it when the last person on earth has heard the Gospel?

Or is it when no person is naked and hungry around you? For me it is the latter.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
I was wondering if you people that are arguing with all them scripture have a special number of times God has to say something before you believe it. The new testament is the word of faith. I think the problem is you people (some of you) don't know what sin is.

[Rom 14:23
23 But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because [he does] not [eat] from faith; for whatever [is] not from faith is sin.

[Jas 4:17
17 Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do [it], to him it is sin.
[1Jo 5:17
17 All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin not [leading] to death.
[Jas 1:15
15 Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death.
[1Jo 1:8
8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
[1Jo 3:4
4 Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness.

iouae

I was wondering if you people that are arguing with all them scripture have a special number of times God has to say something before you believe it. The new testament is the word of faith.

Well use some of that NT faith to believe that it is not the $$ in your account when Christ returns which will qualify you, or disqualify you.