Being Rich Is A Sin

marhig

https://www.facebook.com/bestthings.us/videos/512063339167479/

This video touched me, this shows us what we can be like, hopefully we won't ever be like this to others and remember that Jesus came as a poor man. And we should always love one another. And care for those in need not just those we love, because God loves all of us, every single one of us. And if we love him, we will love others too, regardless of who they are or whether they are rich or poor. And the love of God and life of Christ in our hearts should be changing our hearts to care more and be more like Jesus.

(I've started a thread with this too squeaky, hope it was ok to post it here) :)

Last edited:

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
https://www.facebook.com/bestthings.us/videos/512063339167479/

This video touched me, this shows us what we can be like, hopefully we won't ever be like this to others and remember that Jesus came as a poor man. And we should always love one another. And care for those in need not just those we love, because God loves all of us, every single one of us. And if we love him, we will love others too, regardless of who they are or whether they are rich or poor. And the love of God and life of Christ in our hearts should be changing our hearts to care more and be more like Jesus.

(I've started a thread with this too squeaky, hope it was ok to post it here) :)

I said
Yes its ok.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I said
A Christian is mindful of Gods Word. And if his business grows why cant the employees wages grow.

Nothing wrong with that.

What ever it takes to keep himself from falling under the rich curse. When he gets off into the rich curse he becomes a Rich oppressor

So as long as he's not oppressing his employees, it's ok for him to be rich?

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
I said
lol That's new, and honest question. No sarcasm, no insults. Society sets the limit on a lot of things. Like what rich is, accountable age for children. The last I heard in 2000 was 150,000 dollars annual income. I know know today.
This seems a rather arbitrary number. I live in the U.S. and make something close to that number. I am struggling to get my two daughters through college. If I lived in some other part of the world, I could darn near live like a king on my income.

Having wealth is not a sin. There is no commandment that says, 'Thou shalt not be wealthy." I think the question becomes one of what you do with that wealth. Greed is considered on of the 7 deadly sins, the whole two masters thing. Wealth for the sake of wealth = greed. Wealth used to to help others = loving your neighbor.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Nothing wrong with that.

So as long as he's not oppressing his employees, it's ok for him to be rich?

I said
lol Your really not listening. Rich is a sin. Anything he can do to stay under the rich title is ok. God gives us a lot of stuff to give to others. That is called prospering. But no matter how much we prosper we should give it away to stay under the title of rich. Or we are walking in sin.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Poor King Solomon. God must not have loved him very much.

I said
lol Don't forget if anyone in the old testament would have found the truth. Jesus wouldn't have had to come. And what did Jesus say about the old testament?

[Jhn 10:8-9
8 "All who [ever] came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them.
9 "I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I said
lol Your really not listening. Rich is a sin.

The Bible does not say that.

If it does, could you please provide the verse or verses that say such?

Anything he can do to stay under the rich title is ok.

So he can't make a profit off his successful business, and improve his standard of living?

God gives us a lot of stuff to give to others.

What about a wife and children? If a man has many children, should he start giving them away, so that he doesn't have too many?

That is called prospering.

Prosper: succeed in material terms; be financially successful.

But no matter how much we prosper we should give it away to stay under the title of rich. Or we are walking in sin.

The Bible does not tell us Christians to give everything away.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
I said
lol Don't forget if anyone in the old testament would have found the truth. Jesus wouldn't have had to come. And what did Jesus say about the old testament?

[Jhn 10:8-9
8 "All who [ever] came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them.
9 "I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture.
But God was pleased with Solomon, so much so that God gave Solomon his wealth.

1 Kings 3: 9 So give your servant a discerning heart to govern your people and to distinguish between right and wrong. For who is able to govern this great people of yours?” 10 The Lord was pleased that Solomon had asked for this. 11 So God said to him, “Since you have asked for this and not for long life or wealth for yourself, nor have asked for the death of your enemies but for discernment in administering justice, 12 I will do what you have asked. I will give you a wise and discerning heart, so that there will never have been anyone like you, nor will there ever be. 13 Moreover, I will give you what you have not asked for—both wealth and honor—so that in your lifetime you will have no equal among kings. 14 And if you walk in obedience to me and keep my decrees and commands as David your father did, I will give you a long life.”

Hawkins

That's why the Jews have an set aside set of Law (Mosaic Law). In the past, we only know of those living among us as our legitimate neighbors. Watching a neighbor dying but without lending a helping hand could possibly be a murderous act in terms of the conscience made available to the gentiles.

Today, we all know that children in African are dying of hunger. Unlike ancient humans, modern humans can reach that status of children in Africa. They can well be our neighbors. It is possible that it's us who lost the correct conscience. Jesus said that the Jews can have multiple wives under Mosaic Law as a result of hardening of hearts. Similar, our original conscience (Law of gentiles) may consider that watching the dying of neighbors is a sin.

We have all our money to spend with all the food in excess while "watching" with consent that children in Africa are dying of hunger, we are sinning as murderers though we no longer perceive our conscience correctly.

I actually speculate that Satan will accuse everyone as a murderer this way on the Judgment Day, his accusation has no effect on Christians though.

Revelation 12:10 (NIV2011)
10 Then I heard a loud voice in heaven say: “Now have come the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God, and the authority of his Messiah. For the accuser of our brothers and sisters, who accuses them before our God day and night, has been hurled down.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
That's why the Jews have an set aside set of Law (Mosaic Law). In the past, we only know of those living among us as our legitimate neighbors. Watching a neighbor dying but without lending a helping hand could possibly be a murderous act in terms of the conscience made available to the gentiles.

Today, we all know that children in African are dying of hunger. Unlike ancient humans, modern humans can reach that status of children in Africa. They can well be our neighbors. It is possible that it's us who lost the correct conscience. Jesus said that the Jews can have multiple wives under Mosaic Law as a result of hardening of hearts. Similar, our original conscience (Law of gentiles) may consider that watching the dying of neighbors is a sin.

We have all our money to spend with all the food in excess while "watching" with consent that children in Africa are dying of hunger, we are sinning as murderers though we no longer perceive our conscience correctly.

I actually speculate that Satan will accuse everyone as a murderer this way on the Judgment Day, his accusation has no effect on Christians though.

Revelation 12:10 (NIV2011)
10 Then I heard a loud voice in heaven say: “Now have come the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God, and the authority of his Messiah. For the accuser of our brothers and sisters, who accuses them before our God day and night, has been hurled down.

While its true that many are dying in Africa, it is equally true that many of your neighbors right here are home are in dire straights. We need to look much closer to home sometimes and help those neighbors as well.

Hawkins

While its true that many are dying in Africa, it is equally true that many of your neighbors right here are home are in dire straights. We need to look much closer to home sometimes and help those neighbors as well.

You are right. However in my opinion, all Christians have a new mission to achieve. Saving the souls are far more important. We are all in such a mission of saving human souls.

If one's body is not saved, he dies his first death. If one's soul is not saved, he dies his second death.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
The Bible does not say that.

If it does, could you please provide the verse or verses that say such?

So he can't make a profit off his successful business, and improve his standard of living?

What about a wife and children? If a man has many children, should he start giving them away, so that he doesn't have too many?

Prosper: succeed in material terms; be financially successful.

The Bible does not tell us Christians to give everything away.

I said
lol Your just rambling now. And yes it does say it.

[Mat 19:21-24
21 Jesus said to him, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me."
22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.
23 Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Assuredly, I say to you that it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.
24 "And again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned

1 Kings 3: 9 So give your servant a discerning heart to govern your people and to distinguish between right and wrong. For who is able to govern this great people of yours?” 10 The Lord was pleased that Solomon had asked for this. 11 So God said to him, “Since you have asked for this and not for long life or wealth for yourself, nor have asked for the death of your enemies but for discernment in administering justice, 12 I will do what you have asked. I will give you a wise and discerning heart, so that there will never have been anyone like you, nor will there ever be. 13 Moreover, I will give you what you have not asked for—both wealth and honor—so that in your lifetime you will have no equal among kings. 14 And if you walk in obedience to me and keep my decrees and commands as David your father did, I will give you a long life.”

I said
And the new testament says Jesus changed the law, annulled the commandments, and made the old testament obsolete. And if you don't abide in the new testament you don't have the right God.

[2Jo 1:7-11
7 For many deceivers have gone out into the world who do not confess Jesus Christ [as] coming in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.
8 Look to yourselves, that we do not lose those things we worked for, but [that] we may receive a full reward.
9 Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son.
10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him;
11 for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds.

And if you keep anything in the old testament that Jesus hasn't brought over to the new testament. You have fallen from grace and are subject to the whole old testament.

[Gal 5:1-4
1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.
2 Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing.
3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law
4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who [attempt to] be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I said
lol Your just rambling now. And yes it does say it.

[Mat 19:21-24
21 Jesus said to him, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me."
22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.
23 Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Assuredly, I say to you that it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.
24 "And again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

I figured you might bring that up.

Here, I'll even give you another verse that says to sell all one has.

Now a certain ruler asked Him, saying, “Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?”So Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God.You know the commandments: ‘Do not commit adultery,’ ‘Do not murder,’ ‘Do not steal,’ ‘Do not bear false witness,’ ‘Honor your father and your mother.’ ”And he said, “All these things I have kept from my youth.”So when Jesus heard these things, He said to him, “You still lack one thing. Sell all that you have and distribute to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.” - Luke 18:18-22 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke18:18-22&version=NKJV

Here's the catch though. NEITHER of those passages, yours nor mine, answer my challenge.

Squeaky, did you not notice that I said "Christians"?

I meant Christians.
Not the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Try again. (Hint, try using Paul's epistles, as he's the one who wrote mostly to Christians.)

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

Then according to the Doctrine of Squeaky, Solomon should have given it all away, to remain unrich.