Being Rich Is A Sin

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Well use some of that NT faith to believe that it is not the $$ in your account when Christ returns which will qualify you, or disqualify you.

I said
Your really going to be disappointed on judgment day. Because it is a big deal with God. He calls them fool's. For God to call them fool's is the same thing as evil.

[Luk 12:16-20
16 Then He spoke a parable to them, saying: "The ground of a certain rich man yielded plentifully.
17 "And he thought within himself, saying, 'What shall I do, since I have no room to store my crops?'
18 "So he said, 'I will do this: I will pull down my barns and build greater, and there I will store all my crops and my goods.
19 'And I will say to my soul, "Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years; take your ease; eat, drink, [and] be merry." '
20 "But God said to him, 'Fool! This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided?'

2003cobra

I do sin, I'm not perfect, I just hope that I don't wilfully sin because I know that it comes back on me if I do, we are to turn from sin, and if I realise that I have sinned, I go to God and say sorry. And if Christ is in our heart, then it is possible to overcome the works of the flesh and the ways of the world by the power of the Spirit, because he who is in those born of God is stronger than he who is of the world.
We agree, and praise the Lord together.

iouae

I said
Your really going to be disappointed on judgment day. Because it is a big deal with God. He calls them fool's. For God to call them fool's is the same thing as evil.

[Luk 12:16-20
16 Then He spoke a parable to them, saying: "The ground of a certain rich man yielded plentifully.
17 "And he thought within himself, saying, 'What shall I do, since I have no room to store my crops?'
18 "So he said, 'I will do this: I will pull down my barns and build greater, and there I will store all my crops and my goods.
19 'And I will say to my soul, "Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years; take your ease; eat, drink, [and] be merry." '
20 "But God said to him, 'Fool! This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided?'

Squeaky, I presume that you are not a hypocrite, and have done these things, and given away all. How does it feel not knowing where tomorrows meal is coming from? Are you relying on some other Christian sharing their second last day's food with you?

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Squeaky, I presume that you are not a hypocrite, and have done these things, and given away all. How does it feel not knowing where tomorrows meal is coming from? Are you relying on some other Christian sharing their second last day's food with you?

I said
lol You really have a wild imagination full of self deception. Full of gross exaggerations. A born again Christian doesn't have all them tormenting emotions that you have. I have crucified all my emotions.

Gal 5:24-26
24 And those who are Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.
(NKJ)

marhig

I think you should feel terrible because you have eaten today but others have not.

My real question is - At what point should a Christian feel guilty that they have not given away enough?

Is it when the TV evangelist guilts you into giving to him?

Is it when the last person on earth is clothed and fed?

Is it when the last person on earth has heard the Gospel?

Or is it when no person is naked and hungry around you? For me it is the latter.

It's when we pass no person whom we meet or see that needs help, in anyway, we are to help them if we can, and it's bringing the word of God to whomsoever will listen, it's feeding and clothing, covering them inside with the spiritual food by breaking the bread and giving them natural food and clothing, naturally and spiritually, it's doing the will and works of God as Jesus did. We are never to be wary of giving, and we should always be ready and looking to help and bring the word of God to others, these things go hand in hand, if we are born of God, then Christ within should be changing our heart to be more like his, by the power of the Spirit. So it would be very hard to hold onto tons of money if we have a heart that is more like that of Christ, because he should be pricking us to help and see the need and not pass by.

There are homeless people here, I would bring them all home if I could but they are drug addicts and I have grandchildren here all the time so I can't. But if I had money, it would be gone on them, I couldn't have that in the bank and leave them outside. I said in our house meeting the other night that I wish we could try and get somewhere for them to stay. But one thing I can't do, I can't just pass them, God pricks my heart every time I see them. Even if it's just to give food and drink.

This is one area where I'm not doing enough, yet I'm not sure what to do, I hope and pray that God shows us all (who are willing) the need of others daily so that we can be given the chance to help. Our neighbour is whomsoever we meet on that day, and all those around us, and we should help when God shows us that they need help, whoever they are, and whatever they've done. Even if they've offended us, I believe the we are still to help them when they need help and go to God to ask for the strength and help to do these things. Because these are the works of God, and as he is changing our hearts, then we should help and care for others more.

Last edited:

iouae

It's when we pass no person whom we meet or see that needs help, in anyway, we are to help them if we can, and it's bringing the word of God to whomsoever will listen, it's feeding and clothing, covering them inside with the spiritual food by breaking the bread and giving them natural food and clothing, naturally and spiritually, it's doing the will and works of God as Jesus did. We are never to be wary of giving, and we should always be ready and looking to help and bring the word of God to others, these things go hand in hand, if we are born of God, then Christ within should be changing our heart to be more like his, by the power of the Spirit. So it would be very hard to hold onto tons of money if we have a heart that is more like that of Christ, because he should be pricking us to help and see the need and not pass by.

There are homeless people here, I would bring them all home if I could but they are drug addicts and I have grandchildren here all the time so I can't. But if I had money, it would be gone on them, I couldn't have that in the bank and leave them outside. I said in our house meeting the other night that I wish we could try and get somewhere for them to stay. But one thing I can't do, I can't just pass them, God pricks my heart every time I see them. Even if it's just to give food and drink.

This is one area where I'm not doing enough, yet I'm not sure what to do, I hope and pray that God shows us all (who are willing) the need of others daily so that we can be given the chance to help. Our neighbour is whomsoever we meet on that day, and all those around us, and we should help when God shows us that they need help, whoever they are, and whatever they've done. Even if they've offended us, I believe the we are still to help them when they need help and go to God to ask for the strength and help to do these things. Because these are the works of God, and as he is changing our hearts, then we should help and care for others more.

I love your attitude Marhig.

But Squeaky says that being rich is a sin. You sound like you own a home. It's probably paid off. It's probably worth a million. I want to know from Squeaky whether your being rich is a sin.

I want to know from Squeaky whether every Christian homeowner, who's home is close to paid off, is, by default, a sinner.

I am trying to find out from Squeaky how poor one needs to be, to not be sinning.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned

But Squeaky says that being rich is a sin. You sound like you own a home. It's probably paid off. It's probably worth a million. I want to know from Squeaky whether your being rich is a sin.

I want to know from Squeaky whether every Christian homeowner, who's home is close to paid off, is, by default, a sinner.

I am trying to find out from Squeaky how poor one needs to be, to not be sinning.

I said
I told you what I new about it. That society establishes what is rich. In the late 20th century they said that 120000 dollars annually was rich. In the early 21st they said 150000 annually was rich. I cant believe your ignorance on this. If a person made 160000 dollars a year, and they gave 10001 dollars to the poor . That would put them under being rich.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
American's standard for being rich is way off, IMO.

I am considered poor by their standards but I don't believe I am poor financially.

I believe I should be giving more to the poor.

I possess more than I need to live comfortably and enjoy my life.

I am relying on God's grace and mercy for my unfaithfulness.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
American's standard for being rich is way off, IMO.

I am considered poor by their standards but I don't believe I am poor financially.

I believe I should be giving more to the poor.

I possess more than I need to live comfortably and enjoy my life.

I am relying on God's grace and mercy for my unfaithfulness.

I said
That is why God gave us repentance. Now how many times a day can we repent and be forgiven?

Luke 17:3-4
3 "Take heed to yourselves. If your brother sins against you, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him.
4 "And if he sins against you seven times in a day, and seven times in a day returns to you, saying, 'I repent,' you shall forgive him."
(NKJ)

Matt 6:14-15
14 "For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.
15 "But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
(NKJ)

Mark 4:24-25
24 Then He said to them, "Take heed what you hear. With the same measure you use, it will be measured to you; and to you who hear, more will be given.
25 "For whoever has, to him more will be given; but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him."
(NKJ)

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Jesus does not take light of neglecting the poor and needy.

So doing so is sin.

It is more serious if we try to make excuses of our neglecting them.

It is not right making excuses just because we don't like what He commands.

We are watering down His teachings by making excuses.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Jesus does not take light of neglecting the poor and needy.

So doing so is sin.

It is more serious if we try to make excuses of our neglecting them.

It is not right making excuses just because we don't like what He commands.

We are watering down His teachings by making excuses.

I said
Your right He doesn't like excuses. But He does give us commands. On who to help. If we can hear the Holy Spirit and follow Him. With some whether poor or rich the Holy Spirit will guile us with

[Mat 7:6
6 "Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces.
[Phl 3:2
2 Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the mutilation!
[Rev 22:15
15 But outside [are] dogs and sorcerers and sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and whoever loves and practices a lie.

There are variables that you can only follow if you are walking after the Holy Spirit.

[Jas 1:25
25 But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues [in it], and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does.

[1Co 5:11
11 But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner--not even to eat with such a person.
[1Co 8:7
7 However, [there is] not in everyone that knowledge; for some, with consciousness of the idol, until now eat [it] as a thing offered to an idol; and their conscience, being weak, is defiled.

marhig

Blimey do i sound rich? I'm not, and I don't own my own home. I live in social housing, I don't know what it's called in America or elsewhere, but here its called a housing association house (council house) here in the UK, And I'm far from wealthy, we are blessed to have enough to get by each month, I don't have much left very often, but we have food, water, a roof over our heads and we can pay our bills with the wages we have coming in, and that's a blessing. I'm content with what I have. And I'm rich compared with many others, just to get by each day is a blessing from God, and I am rich in knowing God, I'm truly blessed that he even looked at me. Money means nothing compared to the riches that God blesses us with. And I'm rich in love [emoji4] and I have a big family around me. So I might not be naturally wealthy, but I'm wealthy in many other ways.

Also I think of Jesus, he came poor so that he could talk to, and help the poor. I don't think many of the poor would listen if he was wealthy and told them how to live whilst he himself lived in a palace and wasn't in the same situation as them. And i believe that he was also testing those who are wealthy and poor to see if they would accept a poor man preaching the gospel and believe in him.

He was able to help the poor because he was among them, so I'm quite happy where I am. As I said God has changed my heart so I'm not worried about having lots of money, I'm just grateful to get by, and I feel for those with even less, it must be very hard for them. But I believe that if I see the need, and I can help, then I should. Naturally and spiritually.

James 2

What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him? If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit? Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Blimey do i sound rich? I'm not, and I don't own my own home. I live in social housing, I don't know what it's called in America or elsewhere, but here its called a housing association house (council house) here in the UK, And I'm far from wealthy, we are blessed to have enough to get by each month, I don't have much left very often, but we have food, water, a roof over our heads and we can pay our bills with the wages we have coming in, and that's a blessing. I'm content with what I have. And I'm rich compared with many others, just to get by each day is a blessing from God, and I am rich in knowing God, I'm truly blessed that he even looked at me. Money means nothing compared to the riches that God blesses us with. And I'm rich in love [emoji4] and I have a big family around me. So I might not be naturally wealthy, but I'm wealthy in many other ways.

Also I think of Jesus, he came poor so that he could talk to, and help the poor. I don't think many of the poor would listen if he was wealthy and told them how to live whilst he himself lived in a palace and wasn't in the same situation as them. And i believe that he was also testing those who are wealthy and poor to see if they would accept a poor man preaching the gospel and believe in him.

He was able to help the poor because he was among them, so I'm quite happy where I am. As I said God has changed my heart so I'm not worried about having lots of money, I'm just grateful to get by, and I feel for those with even less, it must be very hard for them. But I believe that if I see the need, and I can help, then I should. Naturally and spiritually.

James 2

What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him? If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit? Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

I said
You are truly blessed in your testimony.

Matt 7:13-14
13 "Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it.
14 "Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.
(NKJ)

John 6:63
63 "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.
(NKJ)

John 14:26
26 "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.
(NKJ)

2 Cor 5:5
5 Now He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who also has given us the Spirit as a guarantee.
(NKJ)

The rich will never know the joy and power of God until they become as little children to the Word.

Matt 18:3-4
3 and said, "Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.
4 "Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
(NKJ)

iouae

And I'm rich compared with many others, just to get by each day is a blessing from God, and I am rich in knowing God, I'm truly blessed that he even looked at me. Money means nothing compared to the riches that God blesses us with. And I'm rich in love [emoji4] and I have a big family around me. So I might not be naturally wealthy, but I'm wealthy in many other ways.

As I said God has changed my heart so I'm not worried about having lots of money, I'm just grateful to get by, and I feel for those with even less, it must be very hard for them. But I believe that if I see the need, and I can help, then I should. Naturally and spiritually.

Marhig, thanks for that. I praise your attitude towards wealth, and its relative importance to happiness.

And your desire to help others is an example to all of us.

We are told in 1Ti 6:8
And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

You seem to live this, and I try to do so too.

Where possible I try to give the poor food and clothes and stuff I don't need. Where possible I try not to give money, no matter the sob story, because I don't want to feed any addiction. But, there are times where one only has money to give when someone asks and one is away from home. Even then I prefer to go into a shop and buy them a loaf of bread and something to go on that, rather than give money.

If one is on the lookout for needs, sometimes one can give a pen to the person delivering a parcel to your door who has lost his. Or the delivery person may comment on how nice the spinach growing outside looks, and one can give him some fertiliser. I have done this, and had the same delivery person tell me months later how much better his plants are looking. And in supermarkets, just making smalltalk and being friendly to the cashier can make her day.

Many folks do not give money a second thought. I really believe Christ was like that. If someone poured expensive ointment on Him, he respected the love behind that action, not the money. Christ gave all the time, but it was the word and healing, very seldom money. Christ's lack of concern about money should be a pattern for us today.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Jesus was very specific in what He said. He told the rich man there was still one thing he lacked. See all that he had and give it to the poor. Then and only then could the man come and follow Jesus.

[Luk 18:22
22 So when Jesus heard these things, He said to him, "You still lack one thing. Sell all that you have and distribute to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me."

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Jesus had to give it all up to fulfill His ministry. So to follow Jesus we must do the same thing to follow Him. So that we might be rich in faith, as He was.

[2Co 8:9
9 For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though He was rich, yet for your sakes He became poor, that you through His poverty might become rich.

marhig

Marhig, thanks for that. I praise your attitude towards wealth, and its relative importance to happiness.

And your desire to help others is an example to all of us.

We are told in 1Ti 6:8
And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

You seem to live this, and I try to do so too.

Where possible I try to give the poor food and clothes and stuff I don't need. Where possible I try not to give money, no matter the sob story, because I don't want to feed any addiction. But, there are times where one only has money to give when someone asks and one is away from home. Even then I prefer to go into a shop and buy them a loaf of bread and something to go on that, rather than give money.

If one is on the lookout for needs, sometimes one can give a pen to the person delivering a parcel to your door who has lost his. Or the delivery person may comment on how nice the spinach growing outside looks, and one can give him some fertiliser. I have done this, and had the same delivery person tell me months later how much better his plants are looking. And in supermarkets, just making smalltalk and being friendly to the cashier can make her day.

Many folks do not give money a second thought. I really believe Christ was like that. If someone poured expensive ointment on Him, he respected the love behind that action, not the money. Christ gave all the time, but it was the word and healing, very seldom money. Christ's lack of concern about money should be a pattern for us today.
Yes it's not always money, it can be giving someone your time, or just speaking to someone who's lonely. The need can be many things. But I try to bring God into it and show that without him we wouldn't do those things. Well I know that without God I'd be far more selfish. I've seen what I can be like, my grandmother spoilt me, she didn't give me lots of things, but she did give in a lot if I threw a wobbler, she'd always wanted a girl and had 3 boys, i was her first granddaughter, and I'd have a fit as a child if I didn't get what I wanted. Luckily my mum was strong and she wasn't having any of it. I can imagine that I'd be incredibly selfish and I wouldn't notice much outside myself and my life if God hadn't blessed me and changed my heart.

But I believe that if we can't share what we have, and even be willing to let anything go for God and Christ's sake, then we have to listen to Jesus again and look at his life, because he let everything go, this world had nothing in him and nothing of it had a hold on his heart. His heart was all for God. And those who belong to him are not of this world either, so the things of this world shouldn't have a hold on us to the point that we can't let them go, and we should be able to let go when we see the need around us. That's how I believe anyway.

God's love and his strength and guidance is the only thing that I don't want to lose, and I know that I have to remain his goodness for him to remain with me, for God will not let his son see corruption, and he won't let him remain in a corrupt heart. We are to turn from sin and live by the will of God, and Christ through the Spirit will help us to overcome the world.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Yes it's not always money, it can be giving someone your time, or just speaking to someone who's lonely. The need can be many things. But I try to bring God into it and show that without him we wouldn't do those things. Well I know that without God I'd be far more selfish. I've seen what I can be like, my grandmother spoilt me, she didn't give me lots of things, but she did give in a lot if I threw a wobbler, she'd always wanted a girl and had 3 boys, i was her first granddaughter, and I'd have a fit as a child if I didn't get what I wanted. Luckily my mum was strong and she wasn't having any of it. I can imagine that I'd be incredibly selfish and I wouldn't notice much outside myself and my life if God hadn't blessed me and changed my heart.

But I believe that if we can't share what we have, and even be willing to let anything go for God and Christ's sake, then we have to listen to Jesus again and look at his life, because he let everything go, this world had nothing in him and nothing of it had a hold on his heart. His heart was all for God. And those who belong to him are not of this world either, so the things of this world shouldn't have a hold on us to the point that we can't let them go, and we should be able to let go when we see the need around us. That's how I believe anyway.

God's love and his strength and guidance is the only thing that I don't want to lose, and I know that I have to remain his goodness for him to remain with me, for God will not let his son see corruption, and he won't let him remain in a corrupt heart. We are to turn from sin and live by the will of God, and Christ through the Spirit will help us to overcome the world.

I said

I Jn 2:12-17
12 I write to you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for His name's sake.
13 I write to you, fathers, because you have known Him who is from the beginning. I write to you, young men, because you have overcome the wicked one. I write to you, little children, because you have known the Father.
14 I have written to you, fathers, because you have known Him who is from the beginning. I have written to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God abides in you, and you have overcome the wicked one.
15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
16 For all that is in the world-- the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life-- is not of the Father but is of the world.
17 And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.
(NKJ)

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Look around you at all the sins that society justifies. Rich has always been right up there with the big ones.

1 Tim 6:10-11
10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
11 But you, O man of God, flee these things and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, gentleness.
(NKJ)