BATTLE TALK ~ BRX (rounds 1 thru 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
E4E did you get a chance to look at this post?
elected4ever said:
Before the earth was God made a plan. God in real time is experiencing the plan. A builder will make plans but does not experience the building of the building until construction begins. So it is with God. He made the plan and is now in the process of executing the plan. I think where you and I differ is the detail of God's plan. Where you see the execution of God's plan subject to unforeseen problems where adjustments have to be made I see a complete and perfect plan being executed. All things known before the fact and no correction necessary.
So if you, like we OV'ers, view God as experiencing time what would you say is the mechanism for God to know, for example who will win the 2025 Super Bowl?
This view is flawed at its very core. It requires that God be fallible in the design of the plan and in its execution. In order for your view to be true God must be assigned the fallibility of man. This calls into question God's character and reliability. God must become less than what he is, Absolute perfection. Such a concept more defines God in myth than in truth.
Please expand. I am not getting the point of " God must be assigned the fallibility of man"

elected4ever

deardelmar said:
" God must be assigned the fallibility of man"
That is where the misunderstanding lies. Now we both know that God gave man free choice. When I say free choice I mean the freedom to choose in response to circumstances and
other factors common to human life. You and I agree that God does not make those choices for us so we are rightly held responsible for our choices. That does not prevent God from knowing those choices from the foundation of the world. It is not that God knows but that we do not know. God does not make our choices for us. God did not predestine our choice in the sense that God made our choice for us.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
elected4ever said:
That is where the misunderstanding lies. Now we both know that God gave man free choice. When I say free choice I mean the freedom to choose in response to circumstances and
other factors common to human life. You and I agree that God does not make those choices for us so we are rightly held responsible for our choices.
:up:
That does not prevent God from knowing those choices from the foundation of the world
I'm pretty sure we both know we are not going to reach agrement on this point so I'm going to drop it for now.
. It is not that God knows but that we do not know. God does not make our choices for us. God did not predestine our choice in the sense that God made our choice for us.
So can I assume that if you were to say that some event was predestined, I could rightly rephrase it as "Since God has always known about it his plan has allowed for it"?

Leonard A

Eternal Life

Eternal Life

Greetings All,

I have read the three rounds of presentations concerning “Openess theology.”

It should be clear to all individuals that the nature and attributes of the Godhead are being addressed.

In this debate, there is no middle ground.

Either you believe that God does not change or that He does. Whoever is on the wrong side is not a Christian.

This is not some mere academic argument.

If God can change, I cannot have trust in Him. Stop and consider.
Mal 3:6 For I [am] the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed

If God cannot completely know all things, my future is uncertain. Stop and consider.
Isa 46:10 Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times [the things] that are not [yet] done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:

If God does not have complete power, I could be swept away. Stop and consider.
Rom 8: 36 - 39 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

God’s people always expressed confidence in their hope. Here are a couple of examples of this certainty.

Job 19:25 For I know [that] my redeemer liveth, and [that] he shall stand at the latter [day] upon the earth:.

1Jo 5:20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, [even] in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.

Remember,
Gal 6: 7-9 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

God has written to His people in plain words and they are knowable. Stop and consider.

Leonard A.

elected4ever

Leonard A said:
Greetings All,

It should be clear to all individuals that the nature and attributes of the Godhead are being addressed.

Either you believe that God does not change or that He does. Whoever is on the wrong side is not a Christian.

Mal 3:6 For I [am] the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed

If God cannot completely know all things, my future is uncertain. Stop and consider.
Isa 46:10 Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times [the things] that are not [yet] done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:

Rom 8: 36 - 39 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

God’s people always expressed confidence in their hope. Here are a couple of examples of this certainty.

Job 19:25 For I know [that] my redeemer liveth, and [that] he shall stand at the latter [day] upon the earth:.

1Jo 5:20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, [even] in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.

Remember,
Gal 6: 7-9 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

God has written to His people in plain words and they are knowable. Stop and consider.

Leonard A.
E4E's SPOTD 08/17/2005 :first:

GuySmiley

Leonard A said:
Too strong a statement.

If God can change, I cannot have trust in Him.
You apparently don't know the OV position.

If God cannot completely know all things, my future is uncertain.
No. Because God is all-powerful, He makes the future certain. That is not to say that He 'looks into the future.' God declares the end from the beginning. God does not 'see' or 'create' the end from the beginning.
I delared on Sunday that I would drive to Denver on Monday. On Monday, I used my power to actually drive to Denver. Did I see the future?

Stop and consider.
Yes, stop and consider. God's cousel shall stand, and He "will do," when the time comes, all His pleasure.

Stop and consider that no one said God doesn't have complete power.

elected4ever

consider this, If God can be surprised and change His mind then God is not all powerful. The two ideas can not co-exist. It does not matter how well you explain the concept. The two concepts oppose one another. If God can change his mind then God cannot be trusted to keep His word. He can change His mine and through all of us in the dump. Is this the God you trusted? Is this the God that you have confidence in? The one that Paul referred too when he said," I know in whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day."

One attribute of God cannot exist in perfection at the expense of another and both attributes exist in perfection. To say that they can is to say that God is less than perfect at which point God ceases to be God and is then therefore assigned to the realm of myth.

RightIdea

elected4ever said:
consider this, If God can be surprised and change His mind then God is not all powerful. The two ideas can not co-exist. It does not matter how well you explain the concept. The two concepts oppose one another. If God can change his mind then God cannot be trusted to keep His word. He can change His mine and through all of us in the dump. Is this the God you trusted? Is this the God that you have confidence in? The one that Paul referred too when he said," I know in whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day."

One attribute of God cannot exist in perfection at the expense of another and both attributes exist in perfection. To say that they can is to say that God is less than perfect at which point God ceases to be God and is then therefore assigned to the realm of myth.
So then, you don't hold the Kenotic view, either?

Amazing, I don't even understand how people can deny that... Baffling.

Z Man

Rimi said:
Z, I've not said that God never steps in and takes care of business. He was angry with David and decided how He would influence to punish. He's a hands-on God when He wants to be. You would have Him remote and unconcerned that children are being raped.
Rimi,

I do not promote a God who is 'remote and unconcerned'. You may feel that way about how I view God, but I can honestly tell you, I do not believe in such a God.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Z Man said:
Rimi,

I do not promote a God who is 'remote and unconcerned'. You may feel that way about how I view God, but I can honestly tell you, I do not believe in such a God.
Don't you get it Z Man? He isn't even saying that you do believe that, he's saying that such is the logical conclusion that follows from everything else you do believe; that what you believe about the nature of God is in conflict with what you claim to be His actions.
In effect what you belief about God's nature belies your own theology. You cannot have it both ways.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Z Man

ShadowX,

I really do appreciate your post, and I honestly read through it. But, right now I do not have the time, nor the energy, to respond to every single point. Plus, I feel that THIS POST answers the majority of your questions. You seem to have a hard time believing God ordaining, and we being responsible for it at the same time. The posts I have linked to explains the two wills of God; will of decree (sovereign will) and will of command (moral will). Hope it helps. God bless.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Leonard A said:
Greetings All,

Remember,

Leonard A.

That's facinating. Now open theists are not Christians. :think:

And yet it is the Calvinists on this thread (and others) that claim God orders the rape of babies and intentionally formulated such actions into His "plan".

Stop and consider indeed. :rolleyes:

Resting in Him,
Clete

Z Man

Clete said:
Don't you get it Z Man? He isn't even saying that you do believe that, he's saying that such is the logical conclusion that follows from everything else you do believe; that what you believe about the nature of God is in conflict with what you claim to be His actions.
In effect what you belief about God's nature belies your own theology. You cannot have it both ways.

Resting in Him,
Clete
Clete,

I've presented Biblical evidence that shows God saying He hates a certain thing, and yet, He wills that a person, or persons, do that exact thing. The ordination of Absalom commiting adultrey is one, not to mention ordaining that David take the census God told him not to take, then punishing him for it!

Instead of saying that I'm wrong and illogical, why don't you show us how I'm wrong Biblically? Because, honestly, I could care less about your opinion. I'm much more interested in the truth of God's Word.

elected4ever

Clete said:
That's facinating. Now open theists are not Christians. :think:

And yet it is the Calvinists on this thread (and others) that claim God orders the rape of babies and intentionally formulated such actions into His "plan".

Stop and consider indeed. :rolleyes:

Resting in Him,
Clete
Clete, you continue to lie. I am beginning to think that is your character. You are just a lier. You can't help it you just lie. I had though better of you. Guess I was wrong.:rolleyes:

1Way

+OL remote satellite affiliate
Z Man

You said
(1) The truth hurts, eh?

(2) Instead of ridiculing me, why don't you respond to the Scriptures I posted?
(1) Ya, it literally brakes my heart (as well as God’s heart) to hear people like you say that God controls and orders (i.e. ordains) all (or any) sin and evil to happen. The 5 points of Calvinism and it’s unification doctrine of classical immutability is an abhorrence to God.

(2) That you keep resting your case on ignorance and error is (almost) suprising. So now I’m supposed to believe that (somehow) you’ve been here on TOL for at least a year (? or so), and NO ONE has ever explained why your false assumptions contradict what God’s word consistently teaches, and that what you say scripture teaches is not even ever presented. In fact, and to demonstrate your willful ignorance, some have been showing you how you are wrong in this thread (and many others), but, evidently you have higher esteem for your version of humanistic philosophy than you do according your faith to God’s word. After all, God's word needs your constant corrections to it in order to supposedly support your view, when in fact, without your false assertions that scripture does support your view, it plainly does not.

In heaven you’ll have no classical mythology and philosophy, nor thousands of years of Christian error to hide behind then. God will simply say, now, where again was My word that even remotely implies that I controlled or ordained or am in any way implicated in sin/evil??? And you would be like, uh, sorry Lord God, there are no places like that in your word without my self imposed humanist error thrust upon it.

I’d guess that your conscience is about 93% burnt toast, some parts of it must still be alive, because at least you have the sense to lamely try to rescue God from being the author of evil by saying that even though God was in control and ordained all sin/evil to happen, God did not carry out His own orders, God controlled (read “made” or “ordered”) man do it, so man is thus somehow guilty instead of the one who made it happen (God). But as DearDelmar points out oh so well, God condemns the perpetrator (hit man) just as much as the conspirator (whoever is boss, or is in charge (control) of the crime). Though you’d like, you can NOT escape the righteousness of God which can not be implicated with evil/sin/iniquity.

There is nothing good to say about such blasphemy.

BTW, I offered you God’s word which was a harsh warning against mixing good and evil. God is the ultimate good, and He warns against attributing evil/sin to Him, but you do so BY ABUSING HIS OWN WORD while doing it!!! You are one rebellious wacko.

drbrumley

elected4ever said:
consider this, If God can be surprised and change His mind then God is not all powerful.

Says you.

elected4ever said:
If God can change his mind then God cannot be trusted to keep His word.

Oh really? Again says you. Also, Plato would be proud of you at the moment.

elected4ever said:
He can change His mind and throw all of us in the dump.

He can, but then God would lie to us, which he could if He wanted, but again, you don't understand His character. God is righteous in everything He does, Do you even understand conditional vs unconditional promises?

elected4ever said:
Is this the God you trusted? Is this the God that you have confidence in?

Not the God you are protraying for us.

elected4ever said:
The one that Paul referred too when he said," I know in whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day."

And Paul was right. I have that confidence in God. If its God of the Open View, you surely do not have that confidence.

elected4ever said:

Strawman. All His attributes are perfect. Sheesh! It is only you and ZMan who say His attributes are not perfect if God doesnt know who will win SuperBowl 100.

Z Man

drbrumley said:
Then there is no such thing as free will. God doesn't love us enough to create us with free will.
Why do you associate love with free will? Love doesn't require a choice.

Let's say that one day, Steve ventures into a bar and notices a guy named John who is really drunk. The drunkard stumbles to his feet from his stool, and proceeds to his car to drive home! But Steve realizes that this guy is on a path to his grave. So Steve wonders over and tries to take the keys from the drunk, but John refuses to let Steve near him. John pushes at Steve and yells for him to get out of his way. He even took a swing at Steve! But he lost his balance and fell hard to the floor, passing out and dropping the keys as he hit. Steve took the man's keys, and then dragged him to his car and took him home, putting him into his own bed safely. The next morning, John awoke to find himself safe and sound in his own bed! He was amazed, and yet, felt shame in what he had done the night previously. He asked around and finally found out who did this for him. He contacted Steve, and they became really good buddies. John loves Steve for what he did for him that night; he saved John's life!

Now consider what God has done for us. We were lost in our sins and wanted nothing to do with God, like John the drunkard wanted nothing to do with Steve. But despite our hatefulness towards God, He saved us anyways. It wasn't our will that sought God for salvation; it was His will that sought after us! He came to the 'bar' and rescued us from certain doom! That's love, and it had nothing to do with a choice on our part. Heck, we were slaves to sin; our choice was to reject God!
He has already in His mind already sent millions of folks to hell BEFORE they were even Born.
Can God not send people to hell? Cannot He create vessels of wrath, prepared for destruction, so that on the day of judgement, those who have been saved can truly see the magnificence and beauty in their salvation from His wrath?

Job 21:30
For the wicked are reserved for the day of doom; They shall be brought out on the day of wrath.

Proverbs 16:4
The Lord has made all for Himself, Yes, even the wicked for the day of doom.

Romans 9:21-23
Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor? What if God, wanting to show His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, and that He might make known the riches of His glory on the vessels of mercy, which He had prepared beforehand for glory...
He has already in His mind already sent millions of folks to hell BEFORE they were even Born. Never even given the chance.
Do any of us deserve a chance? Does God owe us that favor?
God knew He would send these folks to hell and there is nothing going to stop him. Not even prayer.
In the Open View, what purpose does praying for the lost serve? What are you praying for God to do? It can't be to save people, because that would go against a person's right to choose, correct? So why pray for the lost if you believe that we need the free will to choose God?
ZMan, I know you just love the fact that you, before you were even thought of, were bound for heaven.
It's a humbling thought, to believe that God's grace saved an old wretched boy such as myself. I didn't deserve it, and did nothing to earn it. God, out of the mercies of His grace and divine will and purpose, chose to save me. Not because of what I've done, but solely because He chose to; because of what He did. It was unconditional.
Nobody had to witness to you to become saved, unless of course, that was just manufactured to look like christians who witnessed to you were actually doing something with thier faith.
People who witness to other's play a big part in God's role to save the elect. As Paul stated:

Romans 10:14-15
How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written: "How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace, who bring glad tidings of good things!"

It is God's will that He use preaching as a means to 'awaken' the elect.
Yes, I know, you and E4E will say, but you had a choice to accept or not. But God knew your decision before you even made it. How sweet. Don't you just feel the love? How is that a choice? Please tell me ZMan and E4E, if God knows my decisions from the beginning and He has ordained it, how did I have a choice in the matter. He already predestined me to be saved and accept His son as my sin payment. Could I have said No? If I said no, and that was the answer ordained by God, then by all means , please explain how I even had a choice?
I don't believe we had a choice. Our salvation was God's choice.
God, RobotDaveBrumley reporting for duty sir. RobotZMan, reporting for duty sir. I don't really want to live my life for you and honor you cause I WANT TO. No sir, you force me. I don't love you God cause I WANT TO, but because you, before the world even came to be, knew that I was going to love you because you ordained it. You said it was going to happen regardless. You forced me to love you. I'm sorry, but that is not love and that is not honor. King David loved God more than any man alive or dead. God even said so. But obviouly that can't be true. God forced David's love more than any man alive or dead would be more correct. I thank you for ZMan and E4E, that thru them, you made revelation to me that I'm just a robot.

Robot
No one believes that God 'forces' us to love Him. Just like the analogy of how John came to realize what Steve did for him, love followed naturally. When God saves us from sin, He opens our eyes to His truth. When we see God for who He really is, and what He has done for us on the cross, we can't help but fall in love with Him.

drbrumley

elected4ever said:
Clete, you continue to lie. I am beginning to think that is your character. You are just a lier. You can't help it you just lie. I had though better of you. Guess I was wrong.:rolleyes:

Why don't you just stop and read Dad.

Leonard said:
Whoever is on the wrong side is not a Christian.

So Clete, using ZMan's philosophy, but not EVEN addressing ZMan, Said and rightfully so,

Clete said:
That's facinating. Now open theists are not Christians.

Please read.

I'm really beginning to think we have a reading comprehension problem. You did this to Bob, and now your doing it to Clete. Stop already.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
elected4ever said:
Specifics. Where have I lied?

Would you like me to quote the posts? I can and will if you do not recant this accusation.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Z Man said:
Clete,

I've presented Biblical evidence that shows God saying He hates a certain thing, and yet, He wills that a person, or persons, do that exact thing. The ordination of Absalom commiting adultrey is one, not to mention ordaining that David take the census God told him not to take, then punishing him for it!

Instead of saying that I'm wrong and illogical, why don't you show us how I'm wrong Biblically? Because, honestly, I could care less about your opinion. I'm much more interested in the truth of God's Word.
You are indeed the liar here on this thread Z Man. You know as well as anyone that I have refuted every point you have every thought of in support of your blasphemous nonsensical theology. You are no more interested in what is Biblical than the man on the moon. If you were two things would be true.

1. You would not proudly blaspheme God at every opportunity.
2. Bob's Enyart's argument in BR X would be more than sufficient to at minimum question the biblical soundness of your theology, as would be the almost inceasant call for you to repent by nearly all Christians on this site who aren't sitting in the same boat you're sinking in.

In short I have learned from experience that it is nothing but a futile waste of time an energy to attempt to engage you in any sort of genuine debate. The only people on this site more intellectually dishonest are Freak, Granite, and perhaps one or two of the atheists. You're simply not worth it.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Status
Not open for further replies.