ARGH!!! Open Theism makes me furious!!!

Sozo

Originally posted by Hilston

For the sake of discussion, let's assume that your interpretation of these verses as they pertain to Christ's work is correct. Can we, as two people who (hypothetically) agree that Christ's work requires the human response to make it effectual, therefore conclude that Christ's death was not sufficient in and of itself?

All I'm saying is this: If you want to believe man must do "his part" to make Christ's work effectual, then you cannot also claim that His work is intrinsically sufficient. Do you see that?
Jim... I understand what you have been wanting me to agree to, but I believe that Christ's death accomplished exactly what God intended; it was wholly sufficient, and perfectly paid the debt that we owed. God sent His Son to pay the penalty, and satisfy His justice. There is nothing that you or I could do to add to that payment. It was done, completed. But, the payment is not what saves us. Therefore, His death is not what brings salvation, although it was a necessary prerequiste. The cross was between Jesus and God, and God accepted it as payment. God then raised Him from the dead, and it is our response to Jesus, that saves us.
Because of God's grace, we can now come to God by faith, and receive His gift of life.

Last edited:

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Sozo
Jim... I understand what you have been wanting me to agree to, but I believe that Christ's death accomplished exactly what God intended; it was wholly sufficient, and perfectly paid the debt that we owed. God sent His Son to pay the penalty, and satisfy His justice. There is nothing that you or I could do to add to that payment. It was done, completed. But, the payment is not what saves us.
Does any aspect of Christ's work save us? If so, what exactly did He do to save us?

Therefore, His death is not what brings salvation, although it was a necessary prerequiste. The cross was between Jesus and God, and God accepted it as payment. God then raised Him from the dead, and it is our response to Jesus, that saves us.
So then, on your view, since it is our response that saves us, then it is by our own effort that we are saved, right?

Because of God's grace, we can now come to God by faith, and receive His gift of life.
OK, so since our response to Jesus is what saves us and our coming to God by faith, then it logically follows that Christ's provision was not sufficient. Agree?

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by natewood3

Hilston,

Do you believe that the work of Christ bought non-soteriological benefits for the unbelieving people who will perish in hell?
Only indirect benefits, natewood3. But ultimately, even those temporal benefits will bode worse in the judgment of the reprobates. For example, an employer might benefit from having hard-working and conscientious believers working for him. But in the judgment, he will be judged more harshly for having rejected Christ, despite having benefitted from the goodness of God expressed through believers.

Note that Sozo's view doesn't make any sense of judgment. If all the sins of all men have been paid for, then the guilt is removed. What's the purpose of judgment day, especially since each and every person in hell suffers eternally for one sin only: That of not coming to Christ for Life.

Sozo

Does any aspect of Christ's work save us? If so, what exactly did He do to save us?
He died on a cross, so that we can be saved.
So then, on your view, since it is our response that saves us, then it is by our own effort that we are saved, right?
Responding to the offer of a gift is not an effort.
OK, so since our response to Jesus is what saves us and our coming to God by faith, then it logically follows that Christ's provision was not sufficient. Agree?
No, I do not agree. In order for us to come to Christ, He had to first pay the debt, and be raised from the dead, which He sufficiently did.

You are stuck in a mindset that it was Christ's death for our sins that actually saves us. Until you understand that we are not saved by His death, but by His life, you will keep asking the same questions, and I will keep giving you the same answers.

We could not be saved, unless He shed His blood, but again, that is not what saves us.

Hilston

Hall of Fame
He died on a cross, so that we can be saved.
That's just so we "can" be saved, right? It doesn't actually save us, right? You said yourself that our response is what saves us. What did He actually do to save us? I don't mean just "so we can be saved," but to actually save us.

Responding to the offer of a gift is not an effort.
Replace "effort" with "action." It is our own action that saves us, according to your view, right?

No, I do not agree. In order for us to come to Christ, He had to first pay the debt, and be raised from the dead, which He sufficiently did.
It was sufficient to pay the debt, but not sufficient to actually save us, right? Because we have to respond in order for it to take effect. Agree?

You are stuck in a mindset that it was Christ's death for our sins that actually saves us.
I'm willing to let that go in order to understand your view. Let's say His death doesn't actually save us. Let's say our response to His work is what actually saves us. Then, logically, His work was not sufficient to save us, because without our proper response, there is no salvation. Agree?

We could not be saved, unless He shed His blood, but again, that is not what saves us.
And, on your view, we could not be saved unless we responded properly, right? So that makes it a cooperative action, which logically forces the conclusion: Christ's work was not intrinsically sufficient to save. If you would just admit this logical conclusion, I would be satisfied. But you keep asserting the sufficiency of Christ's work, all the while affirming its insufficiency in your description of it.

Sozo

That's just so we "can" be saved, right? It doesn't actually save us, right?
That's right.
You said yourself that our response is what saves us. What did He actually do to save us? I don't mean just "so we can be saved," but to actually save us.
Made His life available. No, Jim, He did not reach down and physically manipulate us against our will.
It is our own action that saves us, according to your view, right?
It's our rejection of that which God has provided. It actually takes an"effort", on our part, to say no. Our response to God is to accept Christ, when we hear the message preached, and not reject Him.

Do you believe that one must hear the good news?

God gives grace to the humble, but opposes the proud, because the proud will not receive grace.

Let's say His death doesn't actually save us. Let's say our response to His work is what actually saves us. Then, logically, His work was not sufficient to save us, because without our proper response, there is no salvation. Agree?
It was sufficient, in it's purpose, for our salvation. And, yes, there is no salvation if you reject the free gift.
So that makes it a cooperative action, which logically forces the conclusion: Christ's work was not intrinsically sufficient to save. If you would just admit this logical conclusion, I would be satisfied. But you keep asserting the sufficiency of Christ's work, all the while affirming its insufficiency in your description of it.
Wrong, Jim! Christ's work was wholly sufficient to save us. It fully accomplished that which God required for our salvation. You want to divide God's plan into separate dispensations. Paul said that if Christ was not raised, then we are still in our sins. Salvation is an amalgamation of His death and His resurrection, you are trying to split Jesus in half. No one is saved by His death on the cross, because He also had to be raised.

If I asked you if the birth of Jesus was sufficient to save us, what would your answer be?

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Previously posted by Sozo: He died on a cross, so that we can be saved.

Hilston asked: That's just so we "can" be saved, right? It doesn't actually save us, right?

That's right.
Thank you for your admission.

Sozo's theology states: The work of Jesus Christ does not actually save men. Their own action, in the form of a proper response to Christ's offer, is what saves men.

Hilston asked: You said yourself that our response is what saves us. What did He actually do to save us? I don't mean just "so we can be saved," but to actually save us.

Made His life available.
You just contradicted yourself. Your theology says man saves himself by properly responding to Christ's offer, but now you say Christ saves us by making His life available. How long will you halt between two opinions?

No, Jim, He did not reach down and physically manipulate us against our will.
I'm not claiming that. I'm just asking questions and trying to get a clear grasp of your theology.

Hilston asked: It is our own action that saves us, according to your view, right?

It's our rejection of that which God has provided. It actually takes an"effort", on our part, to say no. Our response to God is to accept Christ, when we hear the message preached, and not reject Him.
Is that a "yes"?

Do you believe that one must hear the good news?
Sure I do.

God gives grace to the humble, but opposes the proud, because the proud will not receive grace.

Hilston wrote: Let's say His death doesn't actually save us. Let's say our response to His work is what actually saves us. Then, logically, His work was not sufficient to save us, because without our proper response, there is no salvation. Agree?

It was sufficient, in it's purpose, for our salvation.
But, according to you, the purpose of Christ's death was not to actually save, but to provide the opportunity for us to save ourselves, right? If so, then it is not sufficient to actually save. Can you admit that? It might have been sufficient to provide the opportunity, but it was not sufficient to actually save. Agree?

And, yes, there is no salvation if you reject the free gift.
I agree!

Hilston wrote: So that makes it a cooperative action, which logically forces the conclusion: Christ's work was not intrinsically sufficient to save. If you would just admit this logical conclusion, I would be satisfied. But you keep asserting the sufficiency of Christ's work, all the while affirming its insufficiency in your description of it.

Wrong, Jim! Christ's work was wholly sufficient to save us.
You just contradicted everything you agreed with above.

It fully accomplished that which God required for our salvation.
You just contradicted yourself again, Sozo. You said our proper response is required for our salvation. Christ's work did not accomplish that requirement, by your own admission. Therefore, logically, you cannot say Christ's work accomplished "that which God required for our salvation." But it doesn't actually save. You admitted that. If it doesn't actually save, then it is not sufficient. Again, it might have been sufficient to provide opportunities, but you can't ever say "Jesus saved me." The most you could say is, "Jesus provided the opportunity for me to save myself."

Originally posted by Sozo No one is saved by His death on the cross, because He also had to be raised.
I agree.

If I asked you if the birth of Jesus was sufficient to save us, what would your answer be?
I would say no. But notice your logic here. You should have expected me to say "no" to that question, but what did it prove? That analogy requires you to say "no" to this question: "Was the work of Christ sufficient to save us?" Yet, you refuse to say it.

In summary, here is the logical conclusion of your theology, Sozo:

The work of Jesus Christ does not actually save men. Their own action, in the form of a proper response to Christ's offer, is what saves men. One cannot say "Jesus saved me." The most one could say is, "Jesus provided the opportunity for me to save myself."

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Jim,

I didn't miss anything and I will only respond in part because most of your arguments aren't arguments at all they are simply attempts to restate my position in the most unfavorable light possible. In reality you've not made any real argument to respond to (or hardly any). Stating your position as truth without substantiating it might be good Presuppositionalism but it doesn't help convince anybody you're right.

The only point you made that I find worth while to respond to is that you say that because the application of God's payment to our account is conditional that the worth of God's sacrifice is therefore not infinite. This simple does not follow. If I am in possession of a truly inexhaustible (infinite) resource, the conditions under which that resource is disseminated does not effect of inexhaustibility of the recourse. God's decision to make salvation conditional upon the expression of faith says exactly nothing about the worth of the sacrifice that made that offer of salvation possible in the first place.

The rest of your posts where fine, I just don't feel like addressing every minute point. I don't have time and it isn't necessary. Besides, I've said all this several times before both on this thread and on other threads and all you do is ignore what I have clearly said and just go on repeating the same old distortions. Which, by the way, is precisely the offense that you accuse me and the other OVer's on this site of doing with Calvin! Do I dare use the "H" word?

Resting in Him,
Betty

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Clete Pfeiffer
... they are simply attempts to restate my position in the most unfavorable light possible.
How'd I do? The fact that such unfavorable light can be shed upon your view should be of concern.

In reality you've not made any real argument to respond to (or hardly any).
Do you agree with Sozo's thesis thus far? Your thoughts on this current exchange are welcome.

Stating your position as truth without substantiating it might be good Presuppositionalism but it doesn't help convince anybody you're right.
You continue to misunderstand presuppositional argumentation. The presupp approach alone is able to make rational substantiation.

The only point you made that I find worth while to respond to is that you say that because the application of God's payment to our account is conditional that the worth of God's sacrifice is therefore not infinite.
If there is a single person for whom Christ died who does not benefit from it, then it is not infinite. It is then limited, finite in value. You must admit that your theology puts limits on the value of Christ's work because there are those for whom He died who reject it and do not receive its benefits.

If I am in possession of a truly inexhaustible (infinite) resource, the conditions under which that resource is disseminated does not effect of inexhaustibility of the recourse.
I'm not talking about "infinite resource" or quantity, but value and worth. Is Christ's work of any value to someone who is suffering in hell, even though Christ died for him? Of course not. Thus, you have put a limit on the value of Christ's work.

God's decision to make salvation conditional upon the expression of faith says exactly nothing about the worth of the sacrifice that made that offer of salvation possible in the first place.
Non sequitur, Clete.

... all you do is ignore what I have clearly said and just go on repeating the same old distortions.
I find that hard to believe. Convince me. Give me an example of an argument of yours I've ignored that you wish I would have addressed.

Which, by the way, is precisely the offense that you accuse me and the other OVer's on this site of doing with Calvin! Do I dare use the "H" word?
Maybe you should. Expose my hypocrisy by showing anything I've said about OVists that is false.

Sozo

Hilston.. You are a PERVERT.

You put words in my mouth, because YOU THINK you understand what I am saying, but you don't. Your mind is fixed on the idea that the death of Christ is all encompasing to our salvation. Jesus needed to be born, He needed to fulfill all righteousness, He needed to die, and He needed to be raised.

You keep coming back, out of pure ignorance (which your pride will not let you admit is an inability to reason), by saying...

It might have been sufficient to provide the opportunity, but it was not sufficient to actually save.
That is something I have never said, and you THINK that you are arriving at a logical conclusion, but you are in fact, just blowing smoke out of your butt.

YOUR theology would say that the death of Jesus saves ALL men apart from their will. Jesus died, and *poof* you are saved! You negate the resurrection, and only preach half a gospel, which is no gospel at all.

You are right about one thing, you are not a Pastor. You are an ego-maniacal fraud, and a liar.

Last edited:

natewood3

Hilston,

Only indirect benefits, natewood3. But ultimately, even those temporal benefits will bode worse in the judgment of the reprobates. For example, an employer might benefit from having hard-working and conscientious believers working for him. But in the judgment, he will be judged more harshly for having rejected Christ, despite having benefitted from the goodness of God expressed through believers.

Note that Sozo's view doesn't make any sense of judgment. If all the sins of all men have been paid for, then the guilt is removed. What's the purpose of judgment day, especially since each and every person in hell suffers eternally for one sin only: That of not coming to Christ for Life.

So, in that sense Christ is the Savior of the world, right? That is at least the way I see most of those verses. Would you agree that Christ has made salvation available to anyone who will believe, while specifically dying for His Bride?

As I have said before, is not coming to Christ for life not sin? Is that not saying there other things more valuable and more worthy of praise and honor, hence idolatry?

Hilston

Hall of Fame

Hilston.. You are a PERVERT.
I also pick my nose in the dark. I've been known to wear two different-colored socks. I'm also a mutant (I just found this out -- see www.jameshilston.com for details).

You put words in my mouth, because YOU THINK you understand what I am saying, but you don't.
Then correct me. There's no need to get all bent out of shape. Just show me what I misunderstood and correct it. I don't want to misrepresent you. I want to be able to clearly state your position. I thought we were making progress, now you want to backpedal?

Your mind is fixed on the idea that the death of Christ is all encompasing to our salvation.
Did you miss the part where I ceded that point for the sake of understanding your position? Even when grant that claim, your view still becomes irrational. It seems to me that you're so accustomed to having people blindly acknowledge or give up on your specious arguments that you don't know how to answer when you find your claims pressed to their logical conclusions -- and you don't know what to do to whiggle free except cry foul and call names.

Jesus needed to be born, He needed to fulfill all righteousness, He needed to die, and He needed to be raised.
I agree! Those points are not in question. The issue is whether or not Christ's work (all of it, or take your pick) was sufficient to save. By your view, and you've admitted, it was not. Man must save himself. Are you now denying this after all you've already said? Are you forgetting that everyone else can read what you've written?

You keep coming back, out of pure ignorance (which your pride will not let you admit is an inability to reason), by saying...

"It might have been sufficient to provide the opportunity, but it was not sufficient to actually save."

That is something I have never said, ...
Didn't you say the following?

"He died on a cross, so that we can be saved."

And then I asked: "That's just so we "can" be saved, right? It doesn't actually save us, right?"

And then you responded: "That's right."

Remember that? What did you mean by it?

... and you THINK that you are arriving at a logical conclusion, ...
Show me where my logic is flawed. Earlier, you advised me to learn more logic. It turns out that I do have above average background in that area. So please show me the where I've committed logical fallacy or have overlooked a significant premise of your thesis.

... but you are in fact, just blowing smoke out of your butt.
I used to blow smoke out of my butt. But my butt-lungs don't work very well anymore.

YOUR theology would say that the death of Jesus saves ALL men apart from their will.
That's not my view. Try again.

Jesus died, and *poof* you are saved! You negate the resurrection, and only preach half a gospel, which is no gospel at all.
That's not my view at all. Christ's resurrection is vital, essential, non-negotiable, crucial, required in the strongest of terms where our salvation is concerned. You're 0-for-2, Sozo.

You are right about one thing, you are not a Pastor. You are an ego-maniacal fraud, and a liar.
You forgot "mutant." I have a heterozygous genetic marker for alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency that allows me to shoot flaming orbs from my kneecaps. And I'm Asian. I'm a mutant, flaming-orb shooting, Asian, ego-maniacal fraud, liar, and secret nose-picker (well it's not a secret anymore). Oh yeah, and a former butt-smoke blower. [reminiscing]Ah, those were the days.[/reminiscing] How cruel of you to remind me.

So, given your rapid descent into sophomoric middle-school debate strategy, you've sufficiently demonstrated to all (pantas) that you have no rational or cogent answer to my critique of your view. Of course, if at any time you wish to actually engage the points and questions I've raised, we're all ears.

Last edited:

natewood3

Hilston,

Sozo said:

YOUR theology would say that the death of Jesus saves ALL men apart from their will. Jesus died, and *poof* you are saved! You negate the resurrection, and only preach half a gospel, which is no gospel at all.

He is not going to admit what you want him to admit, even though it is as clear as day that is what he believes. He pretty much has already said so himself, but he just doesn't like you telling everybody obviously!

Keep it up...I get good kicks out of reading your posts ;)

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

How'd I do? The fact that such unfavorable light can be shed upon your view should be of concern.
Concern to you perhaps! It amounts to basically lying Jim. Atheists cast God in a negative light every chance they get, should God be concerned about their lies too? I don't think so!

Do you agree with Sozo's thesis thus far? Your thoughts on this current exchange are welcome.
Generally yes. I think Yorzhik has made a couple of brilliant points as well.

You continue to misunderstand presuppositional argumentation. The presupp approach alone is able to make rational substantiation.
Then why don't you give it a try sometime?

If there is a single person for whom Christ died who does not benefit from it, then it is not infinite. It is then limited, finite in value. You must admit that your theology puts limits on the value of Christ's work because there are those for whom He died who reject it and do not receive its benefits.
You totally ignored my point! This is what I'm talking about, Jim! You are arguing against a nonexistent argument. Respond to what I said not to your twisted interpretation of it.
I'll try again with a different analogy.
Let's say you can legitimately print your own money and you, therefore have a literally infinite amount of money that you can spend on whatever you like. If you buy a gum ball at Wal-Mart, do you have any less money? What if you bought New York city, would you have any less money then?
No you wouldn't! If you did then the supply of money would not have been infinite to begin with. That's what it means to be infinite.
The point being that how the value of something is applied has nothing to do with how much it is worth, thus infinite value does not require universal application. It could be applied universally if the one in possession of its worth decided to do so, but if He doesn't, that does not diminish its worth, either way its worth remains the same.

I'm not talking about "infinite resource" or quantity, but value and worth. Is Christ's work of any value to someone who is suffering in hell, even though Christ died for him? Of course not. Thus, you have put a limit on the value of Christ's work.
NO because that isn't what I'm talking about! Stop translating what I say through the Jim Hilston lexicon of the English language! I know what I said and I made it perfectly clear what I meant. I will not respond to your arguing against position that you make up out of thin air!

Non sequitur, Clete.
Liar!
I suppose it would be if I didn't speak the normal version of the English language but as it is, you've just simply lied.

I find that hard to believe. Convince me. Give me an example of an argument of yours I've ignored that you wish I would have addressed.
I just did.

Maybe you should. Expose my hypocrisy by showing anything I've said about OVists that is false.
Pick a post of yours on the subject at random and chances are you'll have found one that qualifies. That's pretty much all you do. It must make you feel pretty good knocking over straw men all day long.

Resting in Him,
Betty

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Concern to you perhaps! It amounts to basically lying Jim. Atheists cast God in a negative light every chance they get, should God be concerned about their lies too? I don't think so!
The difference is this: An atheist can cast all the negative aspersions they want and I'll still have a biblical answer to eviscerates their complaint. It's the same with Open Theist charges against my view. All I have to do is make the biblical argument and it turns the intended negative light back on themselves. I'm not concerned when you put the negative light on me, because I have a cognet answer. You don't, as has been amply demonstrated by the preceding post.

Generally yes. I think Yorzhik has made a couple of brilliant points as well.
So then you, too, do not believe people suffer in hell for their sins?

Hilston wrote: You continue to misunderstand presuppositional argumentation. The presupp approach alone is able to make rational substantiation.

Clete Pfeiffer responds
Then why don't you give it a try sometime?
This is a typical complaint from atheists and Open Theists who rely on Thomistic-evidentialism to ground their reasoning. They're so blindly convinced of the superiority of their claims that they don't even realize it when their specious and fraudulent arguments have been exposed. Another horse led to water.

Clete Pfeiffer writes:
You totally ignored my point!
This is what I find the most curious of all. You have such tunnel-vision that you don't see the implications of your claims and how it ramifies into areas you have yet to adequately consider. So when I bring down the necessary inferences of your view, you fail to see the relevance and devastation of your espoused tenets upon these matters. But instead of expanding your thinking into these equally, and even sometimes more pertinent areas of doctrine, you accuse ignorance. It seems to me that the ignorance charge belongs to the one who will not expand his thinking to give due consideration to these legitimate and wholly logical inferences.

Clete Pfeiffer writes:
This is what I'm talking about, Jim! You are arguing against a nonexistent argument. Respond to what I said not to your twisted interpretation of it.
I did. I used logic to ascertain what you are claiming, and I used logic to see if it washes. It doesn't. If you have a legitimate gripe, let's hear it. Just to say "You totally ignored my point" and "You are arguing against a nonexistent argument" are just empty words unless you can demonstrate your case.

Clete Pfeiffer writes:
I'll try again with a different analogy.

Let's say you can legitimately print your own money and you, therefore have a literally infinite amount of money that you can spend on whatever you like. If you buy a gum ball at Wal-Mart, do you have any less money? What if you bought New York city, would you have any less money then?
No you wouldn't! If you did then the supply of money would not have been infinite to begin with. That's what it means to be infinite.
All you're talking about is a quantity of buying power, in this case an infinite quantity. The question you seem to be missing is this: If the gumball must agree to be purchased, but does not, is that "infinite buying power" of any value with regard to that gumball? The answer is no. All that power, and it becomes utterly impotent and insufficient to make the purchase.

Clete Pfeiffer writes:
The point being that how the value of something is applied has nothing to do with how much it is worth, thus infinite value does not require universal application.
That's not the point. You've missed the point. Here's the point: It's not a "how" question, but rather a "whether or not" question. I.e., the point being that whether or not the value of something is applied has everything to do with how much it is worth, thus infinite value does require universal application if you're going to claim universal redemption.

Clete Pfeiffer writes:
It could be applied universally if the one in possession of its worth decided to do so, but if He doesn't, that does not diminish its worth, either way its worth remains the same.
Again, wrong question, and missed point. The question is not how it is applied, but rather, once applied, what does it actually accomplish.

Hilston wrote: I'm not talking about "infinite resource" or quantity, but value and worth. Is Christ's work of any value to someone who is suffering in hell, even though Christ died for him? Of course not. Thus, you have put a limit on the value of Christ's work.

Clete Pfeiffer writes:
NO because that isn't what I'm talking about! Stop translating what I say through the Jim Hilston lexicon of the English language! I know what I said and I made it perfectly clear what I meant.
It might've been clear to you, but it looks like a mess from where I'm sitting. You're all over the place, Clete.

Clete Pfeiffer writes:
I will not respond to your arguing against position that you make up out of thin air!
On the contrary, Clete, I'm using your own words and applying the logic that the vast majority of humans employ on a daily basis. I think you're seeing the inadequacy of your theology for the first time and you've gone Def-Con 4 over it.

Clete Pfeiffer writes:
Liar!
See what I mean, Elizabeth?

Clete Pfeiffer writes:
I suppose it would be if I didn't speak the normal version of the English language but as it is, you've just simply lied.
I have evidence that my English is just fine and well-understood, even by those who do not know me personally or even agree with my doctrine. This is a crash-and-burn moment for your theology and you know it. Prove me wrong and offer a counter-argument. Just bringing basic logic to bear upon your claims is like holy water to vampires. It starts to steam and disintegrate, writhing on the floor all gagging and gurgling and stanky as all get-out.

Clete Pfeiffer writes:
Pick a post of yours on the subject at random and chances are you'll have found one that qualifies. That's pretty much all you do. It must make you feel pretty good knocking over straw men all day long.
I'm a very insecure and needy person. The only way I can get through the day is by making up lies about other people and then getting in their face about my confabulated accusations. Then I blow smoke out of my butt. Well, I used to. But my butt-lungs ... long story. Now I just shoot flaming orbs out of my kneecaps.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Jim,

It is impossible to have an intelligent conversation with you! Impossible!

You want me to use logic and present counter arguments? Why? So you can respond as if I made a completely different point and when it's no longer possible to do that you insist that I'm the one who missed the point? Ever thought that maybe it's your pampas *** that missed the point?
I've complained to you about this almost from the very beginning over a year ago. You don't respond to the points anyone makes, instead you pick apart the post, sentence by sentence responding to the HET (Hilston English Translation) version of what was said (The reexamination of the meaning of the word "hunger" was more than I could stand! Now hunger doesn't mean hunger anymore, give me a break!), all the while smugly content that your position is so obvious that real substantive defense of it is unnecessary. The ridiculous length of this last post is a perfect example! We are only two iterations away from a very short three paragraph post that contained no more than three points that any reasonable person would find the need to respond too and that was a post in which I intentionally ignored 90% of what you wanted me to respond to! Oh my God! How long would this post have been had I responded in full! Knight would have to buy another server!
The point being is that this is not the way people communicate. You make no effort whatsoever to ascertain what is really being said and to respond to that, you look for what you can turn it into and then rip your own creation to pieces and think that because you've done so that you're king of the hill. Well that's not the way it works, or at least it's not the way it's going to work with me any longer. If you want to discuss something with me then you'll have to respond to what I said, what I meant, and the way I applied my own logic. If you don't like it, I no longer care. Yeah, I know, that makes me the proverbial camel with my head stuck as deep in the sand as possible, right? So be it! I'm through wasting my time trying to convince someone that I actually do believe my own words and that I know what they mean in plain English.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Hilston

Hall of Fame
It is impossible to have an intelligent conversation with you! Impossible!
[irony]:noway: Wow! I didn't see that coming![/irony]

You want me to use logic and present counter arguments? Why? So you can respond as if I made a completely different point and when it's no longer possible to do that you insist that I'm the one who missed the point?
Clete, I get misrepresented all the time. People miss my points all the time. People jump to false conclusions about my view all the time. It's the normal course of debate, and especially in this kind of venue. Just skim Sozo's posts and you'll example after shining example. But do I Mitch-and-Bone about it? I just say, "I did not say that. Here's what I said ..." But I think you've begun to realize that anything you say on this subject, and any analogy you attempt to make ends up doing more damage to your view and further supports my assessment of it.

Ever thought that maybe it's your pampas *** that missed the point?
Could be. Show me. (Is "pampas" Greek for something?)

I've complained to you about this almost from the very beginning over a year ago.
Yes, but only after you've had your lunch handed to you. If this were a formal debate, the judges would be giving you the following hand signal: :loser:

You don't respond to the points anyone makes, instead you pick apart the post, sentence by sentence responding to the HET (Hilston English Translation) version of what was said.
The fact that you continue to debate me (over a year now?) is sufficient to condemn this gross exaggeration. No rational person would debate someone who refuses to respond to his opponents' points of argument.

(The reexamination of the meaning of the word "hunger" was more than I could stand! Now hunger doesn't mean hunger anymore, give me a break!) ...
I didn't say hunger doesn't mean hunger anymore. This is the flaw in your logic in all its glory. The question is not the definition of hunger, but how hunger is satisfied. It is not satisfied by putting scads of food in front of someone. That's your atonment. Scads of provision, but no actual salvation. You must save yourself, just as a hungry person must feed himself. This isn't rocket science, Clete.

... all the while smugly content that your position is so obvious that real substantive defense of it is unnecessary.
This is funny, because I haven't been stating or defending a position as much as I've been dismantling yours. The heap of rubble that's now left of your Open-Theist redemption theology is ample evidence of the substantive argumentation against it.

The ridiculous length of this last post is a perfect example!
Yet plenty of people continue to read them! I'm a talker, Clete. A typer, too. I view this as a dialogue. You say something. I say something. You ask a question. I answer, I ask a question. You answer. Here's how it really goes: I say something. You complain. You say something. I answer. I ask a question. You complain. You ask a question. I answer. You complain. You complain. You complain.

We are only two iterations away from a very short three paragraph post that contained no more than three points that any reasonable person would find the need to respond too and that was a post in which I intentionally ignored 90% of what you wanted me to respond to! Oh my God! How long would this post have been had I responded in full! Knight would have to buy another server!
My response had only 749 words. Yours had 408. These are quite modest compared to your responses in the "Is God Really Good?" thread. Those are amazingly long and drawn out, and you don't complain there about others long responses (from what I've seen). This proves to me one thing: You realize that you have no cogent argument, and rather than humble yourself to the flaws of your theology, you obfuscate with non-substantive criticisms.

The point being is that this is not the way people communicate. You make no effort whatsoever to ascertain what is really being said and to respond to that, you look for what you can turn it into and then rip your own creation to pieces and think that because you've done so that you're king of the hill.
For example?

Well that's not the way it works, or at least it's not the way it's going to work with me any longer.
[irony] That's the first time I ever heard you say something like that. [/irony] Do you mean it this time?

If you want to discuss something with me then you'll have to respond to what I said, what I meant, and the way I applied my own logic.
This is question-begging, Clete. What you say is often not what you meant. This you have proven time and again. What you mean if often not logical. This, too, you have abundantly demonstrated. And what you call logic is often specious rhetoric dressed up in theological nomeclature. This you, too, you have repeatedly shown in the very fact that you are incapable or unwilling to acknowledge your own logical fallacies.

If you don't like it, I no longer care.
Then take your ball and bat and go home. I like Yorzhik's bat much better anyway. It's more balanced. But I don't like his chess pieces.

Yeah, I know, that makes me the proverbial camel with my head stuck as deep in the sand as possible, right? So be it! I'm through wasting my time trying to convince someone that I actually do believe my own words and that I know what they mean in plain English.
I don't doubt for a second that you believe your own words. I'm trying to help you see the self-refuting implications of your words. You can't admit that your theology teaches a DIY salvation. Jesus didn't save you. You say He did; you believe He did; I believe you believe He did. But it doesn't logically follow your premises. You say Christ's work was sufficient. But then you're shown how the "hunger" analogy and the "money" analogy and every analogy you can think of ends up disproving what you're trying so hard to prove. You're left lying there a bleeding limbless torso, criticizing me about the grip I choose to use on my sword. :kookoo:

Last edited: