ARGH!!! Open Theism makes me furious!!!

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by godrulz

pathr= check your 'r' ending... I do not think this is in the declension...
I guess it got lost in the transliteration. :eek:

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

This is equally true in Greek, English, French, or German.
I know, though I think it's a little less equally true for English. ;) English is kind of the odd-man-out in that our adjectives don't change to match the noun, and our nouns are generally gender neutral. And our plural pronouns are always gender-neutral.

And Our second person pronouns (you) and their verbs are the same whether singular or plural. At least that much used to be different, which is a strength of the King James. "You" and "ye" were plural, and "thou" and "thee" were singular. And the corresponding verbs are singular or plural. (e.g. You have vs. Thou hast.) There are some cases where this adds a lot of clarity.

Sozo

I can't believe I started this whole thing just to slap another insult on godrulz :doh:

Oh well, it looks as though the gnat strainers might win this one.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Sozo

I can't believe I started this whole thing just to slap another insult on godrulz :doh:

Oh well, it looks as though the gnat strainers might win this one.

Wake up....if you believe in the inspiration of the Word of God by the Holy Spirit (+inerrancy), it extends right down to one letter at the end of a Greek word.

e.g. Jn. 1:1 The Word was God, not 'a god' (JW's NWT). The grammatical intricacies of this verse/translation mean the salvation of millions of cultists.

We are not gnat strainers. You have been caught in your own trap. Your motive was wrong and the Spirit exposed you as an unteachable wanna-be teacher. We value the Word of God to the last jot and tittle as Jesus did. Rather than humble yourself or change your view to a more biblical stance (minor issue here, but what else do you have wrong due to poor exegesis?), you simply dismiss us or name call. Your credibility is slipping again. If I was wrong on a grammatical point, I would want to change my indefensible position to honor God's Word and His people. Rightly handle the Word is the details and you will not go off track in the broad issues.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Turbo

I guess it got lost in the transliteration. :eek:

Jn. 5:22

kriso pasa (not r)= judgment all

Good example of proper agreement...in this context, 'all' does modify judgment...

In Jn. 12, it does not modify judgment (refuting sozo)...

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Sozo

If I was wrong on a grammatical point, I would want to change my indefensible position to honor God's Word and His people.
That is pure BS! You are so full of crap, godrulz! You have done nothing but insult the blood of Jesus, and malign the gospel since you've been here. You MIGHT be right about one jot, but you are in egregious error on nearly everything else you spew out of your Christ-hating mouth!

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Combined reply to Turbo and Sozo:

No, it's the same word (pas), but a different form (to correctly correspond with "evil").

I don't know enough about Greek to know the specifics, but for instance this form (pantwn) could be singular, since "evil" is singular.
I'm not sure what verse you're referring to, but "panton" (the "w" is usually a keyboard equivalent of "omega" -- the long "o" in Greek) is plural masculine or plural neuter.

If you're referring to Mt. 5:11, (Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake), "all " is singular neutuer ("pan") and "evil" is (of course) singular neuter.

Evil can also be plural ("evil [things]" or "evil [ones]").

All I was pointing is that pas can rightly be translated as "all kinds of."
You're absolutely right to point that out.

It so sad that someone like Sozo, who had an opportunity to grow in his understanding of the Greek, but instead, he squandered it, because he would rather impose his own interpretation upon the text, despite the grammatical constraints that no rational person would ignore. Sozo is basically telling God that He was sloppy and made a mistake by using the plural masculine (or neuter) adjective to modify a singular feminine noun. What Sozo calls pure BS is actually basic first year Greek grammar. It's embarrassing.

Sozo, you accused godrulz of "insult[-ing] the blood of Jesus." I am curious: What do you believe Jesus' blood actually accomplished? Do you believe He died for everyone without exception?

Sozo

Originally posted by Hilston

What Sozo calls pure BS is actually basic first year Greek grammar. It's embarrassing.
I'm was speaking of godrulz, being full of BS, not whether or not the Greek is, as he stated.
am curious: What do you believe Jesus' blood actually accomplished?
Propitiation
Do you believe He died for everyone without exception?
Yes.

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Sozo,

You said that Christ's blood accomplished propitiation and that He died for everyone without exception. Do you then believe everyone without exception has been propitiated for?

Sozo

Sozo,

You said that Christ's blood accomplished propitiation and that He died for everyone without exception. Do you then believe everyone without exception has been propitiated for?
Nope. Jesus, without exception, paid for the sins of the entire world, and God was satisfied. God was in Christ reconciling the world unto Himself. Forgiveness is in Him (Jesus). To be "propitiated for", you must be in Him. We are saved by His life, not by His death.

Hilston

Hall of Fame

Nope. Jesus, without exception, paid for the sins of the entire world, and God was satisfied.
He paid for the sins of the entire world? So then the whole world will be saved, right?

God was in Christ reconciling the world unto Himself. Forgiveness is in Him (Jesus). To be "propitiated for", you must be in Him. We are saved by His life, not by His death.
Then why did Jesus die? Doesn't His blood have any value?

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I'm not sure what verse you're referring to...
We were still talking about 1 Tim 6:10 (see post 422)
  • For the love of money is the root of all (kinds of) evil...

...but "panton" (the "w" is usually a keyboard equivalent of "omega" -- the long "o" in Greek)
Yeah, that w was meant to be an omega.

... is plural masculine or plural neuter.
Thanks. :thumb:

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

We are saved by His life, not by His death.
Do you mean because He gave His life for us?

Last edited:

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Turbo,

Thanks for the reminder. Regarding 1Tim 6:10, "all" is "pantOn" and is plural neuter. "Evil" is "kakOn," also plural neuter (I used a cap "O" to represent "omega").

A more literal way to render the verse would be: "For [the] root of all the evils is money-love ..."

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Hilston wrote: He paid for the sins of the entire world?

Sozo writes:
Yep
Hilston wrote: So then the whole world will be saved, right?

Sozo writes:Nope
That doesn't make sense. If the debt is paid for the whole world, then everyone should be debt-free before God, right? If not, please explain.

Hilston wrote: Then why did Jesus die?

Sozo writes:Propitiation.
If Jesus died to propitiate God's wrath for the entire world, then the entire world is no longer under God's wrath, right? If not, please explain.

Hilston wrote: Doesn't His blood have any value?

Sozo writes:Yep... it paid the penalty for sin.
If it paid the penalty for all men's sins, then there should be no one suffering in hell for their sins, right? If not, please explain.

Sozo

Hilston wrote: He paid for the sins of the entire world?

Hilston wrote: So then the whole world will be saved, right?

That doesn't make sense. If the debt is paid for the whole world, then everyone should be debt-free before God, right? If not, please explain.
Thank you, for your inquires, and for the lesson in Greek. (Although, I am still chewing on it).

Jim, you are an intelligent person. Read, all that I said about this in the posts that answer your questions.

Having your sins forgiven is not what saves you. Salvation is life.

All men are reconciled to God, through the death of Jesus. But, we are saved by His life, not by His death. The life of Jesus is eternal life, it is the very life of God.

"Therefore if any man is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. (Those who are in Christ have the very life of God dwelling in them) Now all these things are from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ, and gave us the ministry of reconciliation, namely, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and He has committed to us the word of reconciliation. Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were entreating through us; we beg you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God[/b]

Reconciliation is an exchange. We give Him our life, and He gives us His. The death Of Christ paid the debt that separated us from God, and now we give Him our life, in exchange for His. Salvation is found in Him; in His life!
If Jesus died to propitiate God's wrath for the entire world, then the entire world is no longer under God's wrath, right? If not, please explain
The sin issue has been dealt with at the cross ("It is finished"). Man's problem is no longer a sin issue, but a life and death issue. Those who have not come to Christ to receive His life are still dead. Forgiveness of sin is found "in Him".

"For He delivered us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins."

*Please remember I abhor Calvinism*

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before Him. In love He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved. In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace, which He lavished upon us. In all wisdom and insight He made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His kind intention which He purposed in Him with a view to an administration suitable to the fulness of the times, that is, the summing up of all things in Christ, things in the heavens and things upon the earth. In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel of His will, to the end that we who were the first to hope in Christ should be to the praise of His glory."

Ask yourself this...

I buy everyone in the world a new car! The purchase has been completed. The keys and titles are at a specific redemption center. Simply go to the redemption center, identify yourself, turn in the keys to your old car, and receive the new one.

Does everyone have a new car?

Lovejoy

So salvation is not a negating action, but an affirming action. The Blood that covers is not the same thing as the Water that grants life?