ARGH!!! Calvinism makes me furious!!!

Z Man

Originally posted by Knight

LOL... that's funny coming from someone who preaches that everything we do was predestined ages ago. :chuckle:
Prove me wrong...

Better yet, prove Scripture wrong...

God_Is_Truth

Originally posted by Z Man

You didn't 'answer' them; and I wasn't necessarily looking for an 'answer'. I just wanted to see how you guys interpreted them to NOT say what they clearly say.

Obviously, you failed GIT, in showing us how God is still unjust for ordaining people to do stuff, then hold them accountable for it. Unless you can manage to interpret those passages of Scripture to NOT say what they say, you will always be wrong, because Scripture can never be wrong.

No.

No.

No.

It would be wrong.

Ummm.. I think you worded that question backwards. I'm the one who believes God is 'self-seeking', remember?

God bless.

:zman:

yes, i did mess up :doh: i should have said "love is NOT self seeking" instead of "love IS self seeking". i wrote that kinda tired so i suppose i deserve it.

now that we got that straigtened out...

we are in agreement that 1) God does not contradict his own character, 2) any theology that leads to God contradicting his own character is wrong.

so, Z Man, you hold that God is self seeking, seeking his own glory. the bible says that God is love and that love is not self seeking. do you agree with what the bible says? if so, your theology is wrong. if not, the bible is.

so are you ready to admit that your theology is wrong in this aspect? or do you believe the bible is wrong?

we're all waiting......

Z Man

Originally posted by God_Is_Truth

we are in agreement that 1) God does not contradict his own character, 2) any theology that leads to God contradicting his own character is wrong.

so, Z Man, you hold that God is self seeking, seeking his own glory. the bible says that God is love and that love is not self seeking. do you agree with what the bible says?
Yes.
if so, your theology is wrong.
Only if you assume that the love from God and the love from men are the same thing...

Z Man

Originally posted by Knight

Been there... done that.
You proved Scripture wrong? Where?

Seriously Knight, when reading the Word of God, how can you NOT see a God who is absolutely Sovereign and predestines according to His foreknowledge? May I humbly suggest to you that you read this article.

Thanks, and God bless.

:zman:

Big Finn

Only if you assume that the love from God and the love from men are the same thing...

GIT,

How can you even have a discussion of Biblical issues with someone who denies that the revelation of the principles that God has laid down for describing love, and says that if we aren't like this then our Christianity is worthless don't apply to God's character????

1Co 13:1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
1Co 13:2 If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.
1Co 13:3 And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.
1Co 13:4 Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant,
1Co 13:5 does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered,
1Co 13:6 does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth;
1Co 13:7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
1Co 13:8 Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away.
1Co 13:9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part;
1Co 13:10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away.
1Co 13:11 When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things.
1Co 13:12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known.
1Co 13:13 But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love.

And here I've thought the goal of the Christian life was Christ-likeness, because that's what God is like. You know, be perfect like your heavenly Father is perfect and all that advice that Christ gave. Seems as if Jesus was just flapping his gums to hear His teeth rattle because that's meaningless. No Biblical description of love that we know of can actually describe God's "love". It's self-seeking, and contradictory to every Biblical description of love.

Funny how that is, don't ya think, GIT?

boogerhead

yes, i did mess up :doh: i should have said "love is NOT self seeking" instead of "love IS self seeking". i wrote that kinda tired so i suppose i deserve it.

now that we got that straigtened out...

so, Z Man, you hold that God is self seeking, seeking his own glory. the bible says that God is love and that love is not self seeking. do you agree with what the bible says? if so, your theology is wrong. if not, the bible is.

so are you ready to admit that your theology is wrong in this aspect? or do you believe the bible is wrong?

we're all waiting......

good question...john piper has an excellent response to this very question which i will attempt to paraphrase...

while verses like 1 Corinthians 10:24, 33 and 1 Corinthians 13:5 and Romans 15:1-3 in and of themselves impresses that we are to free ourselves of self-interest when it comes to loving and caring for others, there is cause to not assume that this means absolutely would it be wrong to enjoy being loving when we take all of the context into account...

in 1 Corinthians 13:6 we see that love rejoices in truth or righteousness so it cannot be disinterested or indifferent to its own joy...to rejoice is to get joy from it which is "gain" and paul encourages our pursuit of this "gain" when he says that he gains nothing have he not love...

love is more than good deeds...can you really say that we are not to delight in loving others? of course not...look at the macedonians who begged paul to give to the church of jerusalem though they themselves were in extreme poverty...paul stresses that the macedonians loved sacficing in order to meet the needs of others...the loved to love...they delighted in it though they denied themselves and sought not their own...

in 2 Corinthians 9:7 we see that God loves a cheerful giver...and God does not like one who "reluctantly" gives...similarly when we love others, though we are denying ourselves, we are still to cheerfully love and delight in it...

when paul says that we shouldn't please ourselves but instead edify our neighbors, he's not saying that we shouldn't seek joy from edifying others but rather that this joy from edifying others should free us of private pleasure that results in an indifference to the good of others...

john piper describes this genuine love well when he says, "Love does not seek its own private, limited joy, but instead seeks its own joy in the good-the salvation and edification- of others."...this is how God loves...He actually delights to love
Jeremiah 9:24
"I am the Lord, who practice steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth; for in these things I delight," says the Lord.

piper goes on further...but i think these verses and thoughts well put how love does seek a joy from putting others first...

Big Finn

quote:

so, Z Man, you hold that God is self seeking, seeking his own glory. the bible says that God is love and that love is not self seeking. do you agree with what the bible says?

Yes.

quote:
if so, your theology is wrong.

Christ lived only for others. He was the epitomy of selflessness, yet His Father is self-seeking. Thus Christ and His Father are divided. They live with entirely different principles at the very heart of their beings. Jesus only revealed His own character, He didn't reveal who His Father is at all. He couldn't, for you can't see self-seeking in selflessness. These two concepts are diametrically opposed. Thus Christ and His Father are diametrically opposed.

Wow. The tangled webs we weave....

Big Finn

boogerhead,

I haven't a clue as to who John Piper is but that is as big a bunch of garbage as zman's saying that God's love can't be understood by human terms of love. You need to stop reading theologians and start reading your Bible.

The natural result of loving others is joy. It is part and parcel of the fruit of the Spirit. There is joy in loving others. There is no getting around it.

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
Gal 5:23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.
Gal 5:24 Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
Gal 5:25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit.
Gal 5:26 Let us not become boastful, challenging one another, envying one another.

Z Man

Bigg Finn,

You need to get out of your 'man-centered' theology before it destroys you. You think Christ died to make much of you? That it was all about you? Think again...

Christ died to the glory of the Father. He died to forgive our sins so that we could have joy in Him, thus glorify His name forever. God died for His glory. When God seeks to display His glory, He is giving us what we desire most; Himself. And in doing that, He is loving us. For God, self-exaltation is the most loving act in the universe.

"The greatest news in all the world is that there is no final conflict between my passion for joy and God's passion for his glory. The knot that ties these together is the truth that God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in him. Jesus Christ died and rose again to forgive the treason of our souls, which have turned from savoring God to savoring self. In the cross of Christ, God rescues us from the house of mirrors and leads us out to the mountains and canyons of his majesty. Nothing satisfies us – or magnifies him – more."

- John Piper

Big Finn

Bigg Finn,

You need to get out of your 'man-centered' theology before it destroys you. You think Christ died to make much of you? That it was all about you? Think again...

All you do when you post is prove that you don't know God. "God so loved the world that He gave..." is the Biblical picture of God. Your version of God is: God so loved Himself ....
***shakes head in wonderment at the power of living in an African river***

God_Is_Truth

Yes.

either love IS self seeking or love IS NOT self seeking.

it's logically incoherent to say that God is love and that love is not self seeking but yet somehow God is self seeking.

God_Is_Truth

Originally posted by boogerhead

good question...john piper has an excellent response to this very question which i will attempt to paraphrase...

while verses like 1 Corinthians 10:24, 33 and 1 Corinthians 13:5 and Romans 15:1-3 in and of themselves impresses that we are to free ourselves of self-interest when it comes to loving and caring for others, there is cause to not assume that this means absolutely would it be wrong to enjoy being loving when we take all of the context into account...

in 1 Corinthians 13:6 we see that love rejoices in truth or righteousness so it cannot be disinterested or indifferent to its own joy...to rejoice is to get joy from it which is "gain" and paul encourages our pursuit of this "gain" when he says that he gains nothing have he not love...

love is more than good deeds...can you really say that we are not to delight in loving others? of course not...look at the macedonians who begged paul to give to the church of jerusalem though they themselves were in extreme poverty...paul stresses that the macedonians loved sacficing in order to meet the needs of others...the loved to love...they delighted in it though they denied themselves and sought not their own...

in 2 Corinthians 9:7 we see that God loves a cheerful giver...and God does not like one who "reluctantly" gives...similarly when we love others, though we are denying ourselves, we are still to cheerfully love and delight in it...

when paul says that we shouldn't please ourselves but instead edify our neighbors, he's not saying that we shouldn't seek joy from edifying others but rather that this joy from edifying others should free us of private pleasure that results in an indifference to the good of others...

john piper describes this genuine love well when he says, "Love does not seek its own private, limited joy, but instead seeks its own joy in the good-the salvation and edification- of others."...this is how God loves...He actually delights to love
Jeremiah 9:24
"I am the Lord, who practice steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth; for in these things I delight," says the Lord.

piper goes on further...but i think these verses and thoughts well put how love does seek a joy from putting others first...

sounds like you agree with me. do you believe God is self seeking or not?

God_Is_Truth

Originally posted by Big Finn

Christ lived only for others. He was the epitomy of selflessness, yet His Father is self-seeking. Thus Christ and His Father are divided. They live with entirely different principles at the very heart of their beings. Jesus only revealed His own character, He didn't reveal who His Father is at all. He couldn't, for you can't see self-seeking in selflessness. These two concepts are diametrically opposed. Thus Christ and His Father are diametrically opposed.

Wow. The tangled webs we weave....

very good point. :thumb:

Big Finn

boogerhead,

:eek: All I can say is, ugh. I did misread what Piper said. For some reason I read that as saying there is not joy in seeking to server others. My humble apologies. :eek: :eek:

I guess I've just read too much in the last few weeks. I'm reading 3 different books on IT, learning Debian and the bash shell, and posting here. I guess it's time a take a break and slow down for a while from my 10 - 12 hours a day of study. I'm obviously getting fried. :( :eek:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

My plan from the beginning was to get you guys to see that according to Scripture, your statement that "God would be unjust for ordaining people to do things, then hold them accountable" is wrong.
This is impossible to respond to because it is self-contradictory. How is it possible for someone to make someone do something then punish them having done it and not be unjust without redefining the word "unjust"?
This will be the last post where I ask this question. If you do not directly answer it in a coherent way, I'm finished with you.

The Scriptures do matter in this argument!!!
This is not what I said! Is this all you know how to do, twist everything anybody says so you can rip it apart and make yourself look good (to yourself).
I hold you guilty of lying Z Man. You know good and well that I do not think that "the Scriptures do not matter". What I do believe is that debating over countless details within Scripture is profitless unless you can understand the larger issue that have bearing on those details which you prove with your next statement.

You can only argue about opinions for so long without the basis of Scripture to support either view. Both of us look to Scriptures for truth; that's where we should both base our 'opinions' and belief and doctrine upon. You can tell me all day and try to prove to me how it is 'illogical' to believe in a God who predestines and holds people accountable at the same time, but your opinions do not matter to me if you cannot support them with Scripture. As far as I'm concerned, the Scriptures I have been constantly presenting show us a God who ordains and holds us accountable. Thus, although you have repeatedly stated till you were blue in the face that in doing those things, God would be unjust, since the Scriptures proclaim that God ordains and holds us accountable, God is not unjust for doing so. Yes, He does ordain and hold accountable, and despite what you believe, He is not unjust for it! No matter how 'illogical' you find that to be!
Do we need to go over the arguments about logic again Z Man? Have you forgotten them already? Remember what was said about either/or logic vs. both/and logic? Remember how it was established that both/and logic doesn't work? Remember the law of non-contradiction? Remember how the power of those arguments sent you back stepping to the point of almost completely reversing yourself on the issue? Remember how I've been complaining that you like to pretend like the last 1000 posts never happened?
Well your doing it again Z Man. You complain that what we believe contradicts Scripture and that we read our beliefs into the text. Well what you believe is self-contradictory! So either the Bible contradicts itself or you are the one reading into the text!

And that's why I really and truly want to know how you deal with those passages of Scripture!!! Who do you think told David to take that census, then punished him for it? How do you interpret it to NOT read that God ordained David to sin, then held him accountable? How?
I will not answer this question Z Man, it's nonsense! God not only does not ordain sin He CANNOT ordain sin. The whole question is based on a false premise! How can you not understand that? Lion answered this question rather thoroughly already but you ignored it, but even if this is all the information we had we could still know that what God told David to do was not sinful by virtue of the fact that God told him to do it. Obeying God is not sin! Duh!
I would sooner assume that there was missing information (I'm not saying that there actually is) than assume that God did as you are suggesting.

Who hardened Pharaoh's heart so that he wouldn't let the Israelites go, THEN commanded him to do that very thing? Who Clete? How do you interpret it to NOT read that God commanded Pharaoh to do something that he could not do whatsoever?
Now I have already answered this directly! Why are you ignoring what I say? I think that this is likely to be my last post in response to you Z Man, I’m wasting my time.

Who opposes adultery, yet ordained that Absolom should sleep with his fathers wives??? Who did 'such a thing' Clete? Who opposes murder, yet ordained that their own Son be murdered? Who?
This has also been answered! Are you asleep?

If these passages of Scripture do not mean what they blatantly tell us (that God ordains, then holds us accountable; and that God decrees 'evil'), then what do they mean Clete? How do you interpret them to NOT say what they say?

Clearly, it can't be done unless you are willing to rip pages out of the Bible, or to just totally ignore them, as you are very eager to do. Why do you find them so hard to confront?
Liar. I will not be drawn into this nonsense. Just because you say that these depict God as unjust doesn’t mean that they do.

You are not allowed to kill. Is God? You are not allowed to command the praises of other people. Is God? You are not to boast in your ways. Is God?

Can God do nothing unless you can do it? Please...:down:
Oh yeah you got me Z Man! Way to take my statements completely out of the context of the discussion and rip them apart. You’re so wise and wonderful, how could I have ever doubted your obvious insight and insurmountable knowledge of the Scripture. :rolleyes:

No one is proclaiming that God does evil Clete. Let's get that straight. I've only said it a million times, but you refuse to accept that. You want to continue to believe that I am claiming that God does evil, because it is easier for you to hate my view that way...
I claim that because that’s precisely what you do, you filthy blaspheming jerk! It not my opinion its fact! It’s fact based on what you have said and based on the definition of the words EVIL and JUSTICE and whole list of other words that you must redefine for my claim to be disproved. You can say that you do not claim this all you want but I know what evil is and I know what justice is and I know that God is not unjust and that He is incapable of evil. You and Calvinism in general make God the very author of evil and that is the chief reason why I hate it. It blasphemes God

I'm not trying to derail the issue! I thought I couldn't have been more on the issue! Are we not debating whether or not God would be unjust for ordaining people to do things, then hold them accountable for it? Then those Scriptures I represent could not be any more clearer:
The why am I having to repeat myself four hundred times? Why are you arguing against things that I obviously do not believe? Why haven’t even attempted to respond to the logical progression that was made that inescapably leads to the destruction of your position? Why do you act as if the first 900 post of this thread never happened?
I’ll tell you why, because you have no other choice accept to admit that you have caught with your pants around your knees! You are stuck with only two alternatives, either admit that Calvinism is hopelessly irrational or ignore that fact and start the whole debate over from scratch by having everyone try to interpret an endless list of individual passages of Scripture that do not have to be interpreted the way you interpret them.

GOD CANNOT BE UNJUST FOR ORDAINING PEOPLE TO DO THINGS, THEN HOLD THEM ACCOUNTABLE! HE DOES IT ALL THE TIME!
Using big bold letters doesn’t help you Z Man! Say it loud, say it soft, say it in your head, or from the roof tops, say it over and over and over again and it will still not be so. Why?
Come one everybody, say it with me…

SAYING IT DOESN’T MAKE IT SO!!!

…Talk about 'muddying the water', or 'clouding the issue'! I'm not bringing in ' a hundred details' into this debate; I'm simply proving that your wrong and I'm right, through the evidence of SCRIPTURE!!! Do you not believe that the Scripture is the final authority? Do you not base your doctrine upon it? If so, you must see and now believe that indeed, God cannot be unjust for ordaining people to do certain things, then hold them accountable for it. The Scriptures tell us that He does those very things!
First, in response to something you said to Knight, “Sola Scriptura” is not in the Bible and so that portion of your theology is also self defeating. Theology must be based on BOTH Scripture and sound reason. I don’t know who it was, but someone smarter than me once said, “Theology is a logos about the theos, the logic of God. Theology is a rational discourse about God.” Thus just coming up with a collection of verses that seem to support your position is not sufficient to prove your thesis.

I do not want this debate to dissolve either. But frankly, I don't think it's a matter of me trying to derail the issue and get off topic that is the problem; I think it's your lack of support for the claim that 'God is unjust for predestining and holding us accountable'. You've simply ran out of 'fuel'.
On the contrary, you have not even responded to my argument! You have just ignored it and played like you never even said what I was arguing against! Well, this will be the end of that! You will either respond to my argument directly or admit that you cannot or else I will find somewhere else to spend my time.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Last edited:

boogerhead

Originally posted by Big Finn

boogerhead,

:eek: All I can say is, ugh. I did misread what Piper said. For some reason I read that as saying there is not joy in seeking to server others. My humble apologies. :eek: :eek:

I guess I've just read too much in the last few weeks. I'm reading 3 different books on IT, learning Debian and the bash shell, and posting here. I guess it's time a take a break and slow down for a while from my 10 - 12 hours a day of study. I'm obviously getting fried. :( :eek:

no problem...:)