ARGH!!! Calvinism makes me furious!!!

boogerhead

Originally posted by Z Man

If you have responded directly to those passages of Scripture, could you please direct me to the post #? I must've missed it...

yeah Z Man you musta missed it...

Originally posted by Clete Pfeiffer
That's a bunch of crap Z Man and you know it!
If you can't figure it out then forget it.

...doesn't that look like a sufficient address of your question??? :chuckle:

boogerhead

instead of accusing Z Man of "trying to make God look bad" it may be helpful to really think about what is being presented...several scriptures in which God both decrees or ordains an action of His people and holds them accountable...

- Jesus wept over Jerusalem because the things of the kingdom were "hidden from [their] eyes", yet He clearly tells us that it was God who hid these things from their eyes (Luke 19:41-42; Luke 10:21)

- Jesus felt compassion over those who were sick, yet it is God who is finally and decisivly in control of sickness (Matthew 14:14; Exodus 4:11; 1 Samuel 2:6)

- God opposes hatred toward his people, yet ordained that his people be hated in Egypt (Genesis 12:3; Psalm 105:25 "He turned their hearts to hate his people.").

- He hardens Pharaoh's heart, but commands him to let his people go (Exodus 4:21; 5:1; 8:1).

- He makes plain that it is sin for David to take a military census of his people, but he ordains that he do it (2 Samuel 24:1; 24:10).

- He opposes adultery, but ordains that Absalom should lie with his father's wives (Exodus 20:14; 2 Samuel 12:11).

- He forbids rebellion and insubordination against the king, but ordained that Jeroboam and the ten tribes should rebel against Rehoboam (Romans 13:1; 1 Samuel 15:23; 1 Kings 12:15-16).

- He opposes murder, but ordains the murder of his Son (Exodus 20:13; Acts 4:28).

- He desires all men to be saved, but effectually calls only some (1 Timothy 2:4; 1 Corinthians 1:26-30; 2 Timothy 2:26)

...Z Man is not trying to make God look bad (that's a rediculous charge considering we are so selfish and define what is "bad" as what doesn't suit us or make us feel comfortable)

...from what i gather, the whole objective of this thread was to determine whether or not it was accurate for a woman to attribute her cancer to God...several scriptures were shown that God DOES afflict (whether as a means of punishment or as a means of discipline)

...and this led to the debate over whether or not it is "just" of God to ordain an action and still hold one accountable...well if He does it (and the scripture presented shows that He does) then it's just because He is just...it's so much easier to just accept that scripture and stop looking at it with the misconception that God is obligated to comfort us...He does love us and shows His mercy but that's secondary to Him making His glory known (or glorifying Himself)...

The bottom line, you said that God would be unjust if He ordained someone to do something, then hold them accountable. In that case, you must believe that the Scriptures represent an unjust God, because they tell us that that is exactly what He does!

what Z Man is saying here (correct me if i'm wrong buddy) is that your theology promotes an "unjust" God and therefore is flawed...

boogerhead

ok that was a little harsh...my bad...not so much that your theology promotes an unjust God but that if you think that a "just" God would not afflict His people and ordain an action and STILL hold one accountable then you're saying that scriptures show God to be unjust b/c in scripture, He does the very things you say to be unjust...but God in His Word would not call Himself unjust...so we see that God does the things you say to be unjust but He is very much so just...

God_Is_Truth

You tell me? Do these passages of Scripture seem to suggest to you that God 'contradicts' Himself?

the way you interpret them, yes. not the way i interpret them though.

BTW, my answer to your question would be no. My view 'accepts' and understands the above passages; we get along just fine. However, I hardly think that you could say the same thing, considering you believe God would contridict Himself and would be unjust if He did such things as what is told to us in the above passages...

nothing you have presented there, if read as it's mean to be read, leads us to a contradiction in God's character. if it the calvinist interpretation however that leads us to contradictions in his character.

for example:

the bible says God is love. it also says love is not self seeking. thus, God is not self seeking.

the calvinists believe that God however is self seeking and that he always desires glory for himself.

thus, calvinism leads to a God who is self seeking, and not self seeking at the same time and in the same relationship.

this is called a contradiction in God's character. and with calvinism, it's unavoidable.

Z Man

Originally posted by God_Is_Truth

the way you interpret them, yes. not the way i interpret them though.
What do you mean 'the way I interpret them'??? And please, do tell us how in the world YOU interpret them to be??? You, nor any other OV'er has yet to tackle these verses:

- Jesus wept over Jerusalem because the things of the kingdom were "hidden from [their] eyes", yet He clearly tells us that it was God who hid these things from their eyes (Luke 19:41-42; Luke 10:21)

- Jesus felt compassion over those who were sick, yet it is God who is finally and decisivly in control of sickness (Matthew 14:14; Exodus 4:11; 1 Samuel 2:6)

- God opposes hatred toward his people, yet ordained that his people be hated in Egypt (Genesis 12:3; Psalm 105:25 "He turned their hearts to hate his people.").

- He hardens Pharaoh's heart, but commands him to let his people go (Exodus 4:21; 5:1; 8:1).

- He makes plain that it is sin for David to take a military census of his people, but he ordains that he do it (2 Samuel 24:1; 24:10).

- He opposes adultery, but ordains that Absalom should lie with his father's wives (Exodus 20:14; 2 Samuel 12:11).

- He forbids rebellion and insubordination against the king, but ordained that Jeroboam and the ten tribes should rebel against Rehoboam (Romans 13:1; 1 Samuel 15:23; 1 Kings 12:15-16).

- He opposes murder, but ordains the murder of his Son (Exodus 20:13; Acts 4:28).

- He desires all men to be saved, but effectually calls only some (1 Timothy 2:4; 1 Corinthians 1:26-30; 2 Timothy 2:26)

nothing you have presented there, if read as it's mean to be read, leads us to a contradiction in God's character. if it the calvinist interpretation however that leads us to contradictions in his character.

for example:

the bible says God is love. it also says love is not self seeking. thus, God is not self seeking.

the calvinists believe that God however is self seeking and that he always desires glory for himself.

thus, calvinism leads to a God who is self seeking, and not self seeking at the same time and in the same relationship.

this is called a contradiction in God's character. and with calvinism, it's unavoidable.
We have been over this already, GIT. Just the two of us, remember? And to my knowledge, you agreed with me that yes, God seeks to display His glory, because in doing so, He gives us what we desire most. So, for God to be 'self-seeking' is the most loving act any being could ever do!

If you don't remember our little agreement on the issue (and forgive me, but it's late, and I really don't have time to actually search for the post), then may I urge you to read this article. Thanks, and God bless.

:zman:

God_Is_Truth

What do you mean 'the way I interpret them'??? And please, do tell us how in the world YOU interpret them to be??? You, nor any other OV'er has yet to tackle these verses:

i actually DID explain them earlier. so did knight if i recall corectly :think:

buuuuuuut, in order to cease your cries of "no one wants to answer my questions" :D i'll respond again.

Luke 19
41As he approached Jerusalem and saw the city, he wept over it 42and said, "If you, even you, had only known on this day what would bring you peace--but now it is hidden from your eyes.

Luke 10
21At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure.

the first conflict Z Man has presented deals with these 2 verses.

the first thing to note is the context of each. they are NOT in the same chapter. in luke 19 Jesus has just come in on a donkey in the triumphal entry. the people cry out "38"Blessed is the king who comes in the name of the Lord!"
"Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!"
which the pharasees did not like and demanded that he rebuke his disciples. Jesus then says how that if they don't praise him, even the rocks would cry out. it is immediately after this that we read

"41As he approached Jerusalem and saw the city, he wept over it 42and said, "If you, even you, had only known on this day what would bring you peace--but now it is hidden from your eyes. "

and what comes after it?

43The days will come upon you when your enemies will build an embankment against you and encircle you and hem you in on every side. 44They will dash you to the ground, you and the children within your walls. They will not leave one stone on another, because you did not recognize the time of God's coming to you."

sounds just like the destruction of the temple in A.D. 70 does't it?
sure does to me. so what does Jesus statement immediately preceding this mean?

in the first part of verse 41 Jesus weeps. that much we agree on ;) the question is really "why" did he weep? Jesus then says "If you, even you, had only known on this day what would bring you peace--but now it is hidden from your eyes."

so Jesus is weeping over something that they do not know. they did not know what would have brought them peace. why didn't they know? "now it is hidden from your eyes".

so what would have brought them peace? what else but the embracing of their king? but that knowledge was hidden from their eyes (the knowledge that embracing their king would bring them peace). Jesus, thus, is weeping because he knows that they don't understand well enough to know that if they embraced their king, Jesus, then they would have peace.

anyway, i don't know why Z Man thinks this verse is a problem. God is more than allowed to hide things from us just like the government hides things from us. and certainly he can weep over their actions even though he knows that it's the best thing to do!

so hopefully Z Man sees how this isn't a problem for the OV just like it isn't for calvinism (although we will see how later ones are).

moving on to number 2.

Jesus felt compassion over those who were sick, yet it is God who is finally and decisivly in control of sickness (Matthew 14:14; Exodus 4:11; 1 Samuel 2:6)

1 Samuel 2
6 "The LORD brings death and makes alive;
he brings down to the grave [1] and raises up.

Exodus 4
11 The LORD said to him, "Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the LORD ?

1 Samuel says NOTHING of God giving sickness to people, only death and life.

Exodus 4 talks about how God is able to give people certain abilities from birth. nobody else gives them the ability, only the Lord.

NEITHER of these establishes that God gives people sickness some of the time, let alone all of the time.

so if God doesn't give people diseases, it makes perfect sense why Jesus has compassion on the people.

the open view allows for Jesus to genuinely have compassion on the people because their diseases were not from God whereas the calvinist view makes no sense at all because Jesus would be feeling compassion on people for something God did to them.

Genesis 12
3 I will bless those who bless you,
and whoever curses you I will curse;
and all peoples on earth
will be blessed through you."

God is speaking to abraham here. he is initiating what is called a "covenant" which is a sort of "contract" or "agreement" between 2 parties. it involves work on both sides of the deal in order to work. so Genesis 12 is stating God's part. what was Abrahams?

Genesis 15:6
Abram believed the LORD , and he credited it to him as righteousness.

and as long as Abraham kept his part, God would keep his. if he was unfaithful though and turned away, God would also repeal his part (temporarily of course). that's how a covenant works.

so the real problem you are seeing comes from your statement "God opposes hatred toward his people" which you have taken to be unconditional. it is in fact, conditional. and with that understanding, there is no problem.

moving on to number 3.

God commands him to let his people go BEFORE he hardens his heart. pharoah says no and hardens his own heart and later, as a punishment, God hardens his.

the reason you see a problem Z Man is because you think that if one has a hardened heart, that it is impossible for them to repent. nowhere is this found in scripture. that is your own assumption.

moving on to number 4.

what was david's sin and why did he think it was a sin? use scripture please.

He opposes murder, but ordains the murder of his Son (Exodus 20:13; Acts 4:28).

wasn't murder on God's part.

He desires all men to be saved, but effectually calls only some (1 Timothy 2:4; 1 Corinthians 1:26-30; 2 Timothy 2:26)

only a problem if you believe in unconditional election ;)

We have been over this already, GIT. Just the two of us, remember? And to my knowledge, you agreed with me that yes, God seeks to display His glory, because in doing so, He gives us what we desire most. So, for God to be 'self-seeking' is the most loving act any being could ever do!

If you don't remember our little agreement on the issue (and forgive me, but it's late, and I really don't have time to actually search for the post), then may I urge you to read this article. Thanks, and God bless.

i remember kinda temporarily agreeing with you because it wasn't something i'd thought out too much. having thought about it more, i have changed my position to this one.

i do not care if God that God is sovereign, the creator or all of the other things you have suggested as reasons for him to be the glory hog of the universe. the bible says that God is love and that love is not self seeking. put them together and you get God not being self seeking. i see it as unavoidable.

God bless

GIT

Z Man

i actually DID explain them earlier. so did knight if i recall corectly :think:

buuuuuuut, in order to cease your cries of "no one wants to answer my questions" :D i'll respond again.
Your response was extremely weak last time, and did not face the contextual issue of God ordaining a person to do something, then holding them accountable.

Knight? Hehe.. He started to do it, but I guess he realized that there was no way he could 'mis-interpret' the passages to work to his advantage, and gave up.. :chuckle:
in the first part of verse 41 Jesus weeps. that much we agree on ;) the question is really "why" did he weep? Jesus then says "If you, even you, had only known on this day what would bring you peace--but now it is hidden from your eyes."

so Jesus is weeping over something that they do not know. they did not know what would have brought them peace. why didn't they know? "now it is hidden from your eyes".

so what would have brought them peace? what else but the embracing of their king? but that knowledge was hidden from their eyes (the knowledge that embracing their king would bring them peace). Jesus, thus, is weeping because he knows that they don't understand well enough to know that if they embraced their king, Jesus, then they would have peace.

anyway, i don't know why Z Man thinks this verse is a problem. God is more than allowed to hide things from us just like the government hides things from us. and certainly he can weep over their actions even though he knows that it's the best thing to do!
So you do realize that God is weeping over the fact that thier eyes are hidden from things that God hid from them to begin with? Good, let's move on...
1 Samuel 2
6 "The LORD brings death and makes alive;
he brings down to the grave [1] and raises up.

Exodus 4
11 The LORD said to him, "Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the LORD ?

1 Samuel says NOTHING of God giving sickness to people, only death and life.

Exodus 4 talks about how God is able to give people certain abilities from birth. nobody else gives them the ability, only the Lord.

NEITHER of these establishes that God gives people sickness some of the time, let alone all of the time.

so if God doesn't give people diseases, it makes perfect sense why Jesus has compassion on the people.
Where in Exodus 4 does it say that 'God give's people certain abilities from birth'? It never stated that God could only make a man blind or mute from birth; the implication is that God could do that to anyone during anytime in their life.

Also, you have got to be kidding me in stating that "God doesn't give people diseases". Must I post the numerous verses that state otherwise? I've proven to Knight already that the same statement made by him was wrong; I'm sure I don't have to prove it to you either... or do I?
the open view allows for Jesus to genuinely have compassion on the people because their diseases were not from God whereas the calvinist view makes no sense at all because Jesus would be feeling compassion on people for something God did to them.
What? :confused:

You just totally contridicted yourself, and now I'm confused. Please clarify. You just stated earlier that

"God is more than allowed to hide things from us just like the government hides things from us. and certainly he can weep over their actions even though he knows that it's the best thing to do!"

Indicating that you agree that God hid "things from their eyes", and then wept over it. And now you are saying that that 'view' makes no sense? That it wouldn't make sense to you if Jesus had compassion on those whom He gave the sickness to to begin with???

If you agree that God did in fact weep because Jerusalem's eyes were 'covered', yet it was God who covered them, then why do you have a hard time understanding that God grants people diseases, and yet, has compassion on them? It's the same principle...
Genesis 12
3 I will bless those who bless you,
and whoever curses you I will curse;
and all peoples on earth
will be blessed through you."

God is speaking to abraham here. he is initiating what is called a "covenant" which is a sort of "contract" or "agreement" between 2 parties. it involves work on both sides of the deal in order to work. so Genesis 12 is stating God's part. what was Abrahams?

Genesis 15:6
Abram believed the LORD , and he credited it to him as righteousness.

and as long as Abraham kept his part, God would keep his. if he was unfaithful though and turned away, God would also repeal his part (temporarily of course). that's how a covenant works.

so the real problem you are seeing comes from your statement "God opposes hatred toward his people" which you have taken to be unconditional. it is in fact, conditional. and with that understanding, there is no problem.
Are you stating that you believe '[God] turned [the Egyptians] heart to hate his people, to deal subtilly with his servants" (Psalm 105:25) because the Israelites had done 'wrong'? Tell me, what did they do 'wrong'? And, how come the Eyptians are the one being punished for Israel's wrongdoing?

The fact is, you totally missed the whole context of these two passages of Scripture (Gen 12:3, Ps 105:25); God opposes hatred toward His people, yet we find that He ordains the Egyptians to hate His people. Hmmm....
God commands him to let his people go BEFORE he hardens his heart. pharoah says no and hardens his own heart and later, as a punishment, God hardens his.
Where does it say that? I don't ever remember Moses coming to Pharaoh first, THEN God hardening his heart. What Bible did you read that from? Mine says exactly this:

Exodus 4:21-23
And the Lord said to Moses, "When you go back to Egypt, see that you do all those wonders before Pharaoh which I have put in your hand. But I will harden his heart, so that he will not let the people go. THEN you shall say to Pharaoh, 'Thus says the Lord: "Israel is My son, My firstborn. So I say to you, let My son go that he may serve Me.

It's obvious that God told Moses, before he had even entered Egypt, that He was going to harden Pharaoh's heart SO THAT HE WOULD NOT LET HIS PEOPLE GO! There was no way Pharaoh could've repented, because that's the very reason God hardened his heart; so he wouldn't let the people go. After God hardened his heart, He THEN asked him to let his people go! And, of course, we all know the story. Pharaoh never lets the Israelites go, and God plagues the Egyptians. God 'turns their heart to hate His people', then plagues them for it. Hmmmm.. according to your view, that makes God unjust...

:think:
the reason you see a problem Z Man is because you think that if one has a hardened heart, that it is impossible for them to repent. nowhere is this found in scripture. that is your own assumption.
Why else would their heart be 'hardened'? God hardened Pharaoh's heart 'so that he will not let the people go.'
what was david's sin and why did he think it was a sin? use scripture please.
David's sin was taking that census when he knew it was wrong.

Don't avoid the context by asking questions. You believe wholeheartedly that if God ordains someone to do something, then hold them accountable for it, that He would be unjust. Well then, explain this:

2 Samuel 24:1, 10, 15, 25
Again the anger of the Lord was aroused against Israel, and He moved David against them to say, "Go, number Israel and Judah."

And David's heart condemned him after he had numbered the people. So David said to the Lord, "I have sinned greatly in what I have done; but now, I pray, O Lord, take away the iniquity of Your servant, for I have done very foolishly."

So the Lord sent a plague upon Israel from the morning till the appointed time. From Dan to Beersheba seventy thousand men of the people died.

And David built there an altar to the Lord, and offered burnt offerings and peace offerings. So the Lord heeded the prayers for the land, and the plague was withdrawn from Israel.

wasn't murder on God's part.
You missed the point. God opposes murder, yet ordained that His Son be murdered. Explain that one...
only a problem if you believe in unconditional election ;)
On the contrary, it PROVES unconditional election.

God_Is_Truth,

Good attempt, but you failed miserably. You're only dancing around the issue. Also, you failed to comment on these two passages of Scripture:

i remember kinda temporarily agreeing with you because it wasn't something i'd thought out too much. having thought about it more, i have changed my position to this one.
I think it's the opposite; Having thought about it a lot when we were debating, you finally saw the point I was making. Now, having not thought about it much at all, you suddenly 'change your mind'...
i do not care if God that God is sovereign, the creator or all of the other things you have suggested as reasons for him to be the glory hog of the universe. the bible says that God is love and that love is not self seeking. put them together and you get God not being self seeking. i see it as unavoidable.
And I see your comments as un-Biblical. Please read this article, then we'll talk...

God bless.

Rolf Ernst

There he goes again--Clete referring to God FORCING Pharoah to harden his heart.

I don't believe that an OVer has the biblical understanding it takes for someone to REALIZE that what man is in himself, as a consequence of Adam's sin, is NOT God's fault. Some will never understand that without God's restraining grace--which God is in no way obliged to extend to ANYONE--man will act in accord with his own nature. God was not pleased to extend that restraining grace and Pharoah, consequently, hardened his heart. That is why the Bible says that both God and Pharoah hardened Pharoah's heart. God hardened Pharoah's heart by merely refusing to extend the common grace to him that would have enabled him to do that which was right. God was NOT obligated to give Pharoah ANY measure of grace, and when Pharoah was given up to his own ways, he hardened his own heart. Those who think God did any wrong in this must believe that Pharoah, in himself, would have done right if God had not MADE him harden his heart.

Everyone who believes that is like Adam in Eden--"The woman you gave to be with me..." In other words, Adam was falsely charging God with the evil that Adam himself had done--they say, "your fault, God!"

That blasphemous tactic was first tried by Adam and Eve, and people are still making such charges against God. If anyone doubts that we are descended from the transgressor who brought mankind under the reign of death, all they have to do is consider the charges that men are still making against Him.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
GIT,

While I understand why you posted what you did and I agree with the bulk of what you said, I really wish you hadn't said it. Z Man's response is the reason why. Now Z Man will focus on all these individual passages and our interpretation of them instead of focusing on the issue, which was his plan from the beginning.

I had responded to the point he was making by asking those questions in more than one way and more than sufficiently for us to continue on track on the issue of whether or not God's actions are consistent with a correct understanding of justice. All Z Man has done is muddy the water with this line of questioning. The debate is not about these individual passages. Even if you undeniably and unarguably proved that our interpretation was correct all Z Man would do is post another half dozen passages for us to discuss. None of them matter in regards to this discussion!
All the details in the world make no difference whatsoever. If whatever interpretation you have says that God commands evil or that He punishes someone for something that they could not have kept from doing then that interpretation is wrong. God does not have the authority to be unjust!
God did not make Pharaoh do evil.
He did not command David to do evil.
He has not ever commanded anyone to do evil, period. Going over every detail in the Bible is not necessary; If you read a passage and come away from it thinking that God just did something that would be unjust for me to do to someone else then you have misunderstood the passage and need to read it again. If it is wrong for me to be unjust then it not only is wrong for God to be unjust, it is impossible! Yes that’s right, the omnipotent God who created everything that exist by the power of His spoken word CANNOT do evil!

Z Man,

I'm sorry for having been so ugly yesterday. I was just frustrated. I'll try to keep my emotions in check!

I knew that you would do this though! That is why no one was responding to them directly, it could only serve to derail the issue! Please drop this line of questioning and respond to the conceptual points being made. We are talking about big picture type issues here, getting bogged down in a hundred details that we could spend the next hundred years debating will never get us any closer to a resolution on our main topic. I really don't want for this debate to disintegrate into meaninglessness! Please keep the main thing the main thing!

Resting in Him,
Clete

God_Is_Truth

Clete,

you are probably right but at least now he can't say no one has tried to answer them :) he may not like how i answer them, but that's life.

Z Man,

instead of going point by point over your post, let's try to focus things here. i will ask you a couple of specific questions that i've wanted to ask and perhaps you can ask me a couple of specific questions. it would take way too much time to go over specific verses from the bible as there are many on each side.

Question 1:

Does God ever contradict his chracter?

in other words, will God ever do something that is against his own character? will he ever violate his character?

going on the assumption that your answer is no (as you said before), what happens if you find that your theology leads a God who contradicts his character?

Question 2:

the bible says that God is love and that love is self seeking. why do you then reject the conclusion that God is self seeking?

Big Finn

That blasphemous tactic was first tried by Adam and Eve, and people are still making such charges against God. If anyone doubts that we are descended from the transgressor who brought mankind under the reign of death, all they have to do is consider the charges that men are still making against Him.

LOL. Rolf, you either somehow missed the thrust of the arguments against Calvinism that have been put forth by those opposing it for last few hundred posts, or you are deliberately charging us with what we are opposing. Either way it doesn't reflect very well on you.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm running with much less time than I used to, so this is rather thrown together. I hope I don't disappoint.

Gen 8:22 to support his claim that God declared He would not manipulate the natural order.
"While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease."
So are you saying that God does not really violate the verse as long as the violation is out in the open?
No, it's not a violation if it is out in the open, because it would be God interacting, not God changing the rules.

So are you saying that God does not really violate the verse as long as the violation is out in the open?
It wouldn't be a violation.

quote:
Yorzhik writes:
I realize this is a fine point, so we need to get to the foundation of your claim. The point you are making, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that God, if He loved all men, would manipulate His creation to create the most favorable environment for men to come to Him in love.
No. I'm saying that He could, based on statistics, carefully and selectively prevent the premature deaths of innocent people at the hands of evil people, knowing that, statistically speaking, the odds are in His favor of more people getting saved if they live longer.
And by living longer, aren't you saying that would be more favorable for those men to come to love Him? Isn't your statement and mine making the same point? Why did you say "no", and then restate what I said?

I'm not saying that He has to step in all the time in every case
So being a supreme intellect He can violate His own rules? If He steps in sometimes, secretly, He obligates Himself to step in all the time. Any situation can be improved.

But if God has predetermined our desires, preferences, etc., then we will act in accordance with them,
But He doesn't predetermine our desires or preferences.

and He never has to touch us, so to speak.
"So to speak" He has removed freewill if He predetermines our wants.

But if God has predetermined our desires, preferences, etc., then we will act in accordance with them, and He never has to touch us, so to speak. And we will perfectly fulfill His decreed plan for us, because He has predetermined everything about us that will influence all of our choices.
Sure, if God has predetermined everything, then our will is not free of God's. But we don't find this in scripture.

We can't make each other choose against our will, so in that sense, yes. I'm not sure of the relevance of your question.
It is an example of free wills that are captive (to themselves) but free from each other. By the many passages that tell us that God has a separate will from our will, I'll go with the bible.

God gave himself rules to live by? Whence came those rules?
By God Himself, in some cases. Reality, in other cases.

The next stage for many of them is hell, right?
We aren't sure, God doesn't tell us.

That doesn't help the innocent people who are in hell because they did not receive Jesus as their Lord and Savior.
We aren't sure if the innocent go straight to hell.

Don't you believe that all innocent people who do not believe in Christ for their salvation go to hell?
We'll have to ask God, or observe when we got to heaven.

No. As I said before, He can be selective. He can make the statistical calculations and base His intervention or non-intervention on those calculations. Why wouldn't God do this if it improved His odds of more getting saved?
The God of the bible won't secretly manipulate physics for some people because that would obligate Him to change physics for everybody.

No, because I'm talking about preventing the work of evil men who seek to bring about the deaths of innocent people. I'm not talking about God preventing the unwise actions of innocent people and the consequences those actions bring. Evil men acting upon innocent men. Not innocent men acting upon themselves.
Why this limitation? Is there something in the bible where you get this from?

Also, it may be that you're not following my use of the word "innocent." It doesn't mean "pure as the driven snow." It means, in Open View terms (if I understand them correctly), not deserving of the consequences, whatever they may be.
We agree.

In this case, I'm talking about those who did not deserve to die horrific deaths as consequence of the actions of evil terrorists.
Did not deserve? By what measure?

Consider this. Group A comprises 1,000 unbelievers who were all born on the same day. Group B comprises 1,000 unbelievers who were all born on the same day. The people in group A live only to age 30. The people in group B live to age 60. Of those 2,000 people, let's say a total of 250 believe in Christ and are saved from hell. Would it surprise you if the same scenario resulted in a total of 400 believing in Christ as a result of Group A living as long as Group B? Do you think God is capable of making such a calculation?
God can calculate. But the influence of those longer living people He could just as easily calculate will do more harm than good to group C. So instead of manipulating behind the scenes, He tells everyone the rules up front and lets the chips fall where they will. If they don't love God, they were warned.

But, statistically speaking, wouldn't the goodness and love that results from dozens who later come to Christ far outweigh the damage and the hate of those who do not?
No. The damage done would outweigh the goodness.

He is a big super human. He is also much more. Or you could say, we are a small image of God, and God is much more.
I'm glad for your admission, although it saddens me that you hold to this view. I will file your statement for future reference.
Okay. So you think if God is a big super human that He is not much more?

If you define these actions, thinking, and feelings in humans terms, the answer is no. Man is the imago dei, not the other way around. Man reflects, in finite terms, God's nature and character to varying degrees, not the other way around. So, at best, we can only have an anthropomorphic/anthropopathic inkling of the infinite God. God does not physically move. God does not "look" in order to see. God does not sleep. God does not "feel" the way we do. Our emotions are tied into so many peripherals that God does not have (uncertainty, mood, what we had for breakfast, how people are treating us, the level of seratonin in our brains, the synaptic response time in our neurological centers, our personalities, our genetics, etc.). So God does not cry. God does not forget. God does not get distracted. Yet there are all these verses in the Bible suggest these very things. Why? Because it was expected that the audience would recognize the figures, as well as their power and importance in enabling humans to relate to and better understand, in a severely limited and finite way, the infinite God.
But they don't help us to relate and understand if they are figures. They help us throw up our hands and throw away the bible because it is meaningless.

What if God really is so transcendant (not a big super human) that all those "opposite statements" really are figures that God employed to convey otherwise unfathomable traits and attributes?
Because they don't show God as transcendent. They show God to be unable to communicate.

What convinces you that you're right in taking these passages as literal and not figurative?
First, because we can do no other. We don't take something that we read that makes sense, and confuse the meaning in our minds for no reason.

Second, because our innate understanding of conscience, that God imparted a will in us.

What if you're sticking to the wrong view of the Bible?
If you can point out something that makes sense, I'll listen. I've changed my view before.

The Bible itself uses the author analogy, Yorzhik. "... and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them." (Ps 139:16) "Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God." (Heb 10:7) "And I saw in the right hand of him that sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside, sealed with seven seals." (Re 5:1) Who is the author of these books?
Right, but not in the context that you are arguing.

A study of the subject of prophecy reveals at least two things: There is prophetic utterance in the form of telling the future, and there is prophetic utterance in the form of command. The former is prophetic decree, the latter is prophetic prescription. Context determines the meaning in every case. Would agree up to this point? If not, I will happily supply the biblical support for these distinctions.

The question the astute Bible reader should ask every time he sees a prophecy uttered in scripture is: Is this a telling of the future, or is this a command from God? The context of Jonah indicates the latter. Jonah was prophesying to the Ninevites: Repent or you will be destroyed. It was not a telling of the future; it was a threat under a probationary period of 40 days. If Jonah's words were not prescriptive and intended to merely inform the Ninevites of their coming destruction, why give them any time at all? The fact of the probationary period (40 days even!) makes emphatic Jonah's warning to Nineveh to repent, or else.
What is clear from the story is that God's decree and subsequent change from that decree depended on the will of the King of Nineveh. He does exactly what He said He could do in Jer 18.

I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying, on the Open View, did God ~really~ need to discover for Himself whether or not Abraham would be obedient or not? God knew very well what Abraham would do.
That's not what the text says.

Simply told us what?
"Now I know"

If you saw that the words were intended to convey information to Abraham, not to illustrate the limits of God's knowledge, then you could replace "now I know" with "see, Abraham? You passed the test!"
Thank you. You are the first person to actually answer the question. So we can replace the figure with what you wrote:

"And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: see, Abraham? You passed the test, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me"

There. Now that makes sense. Now just do that with all the figures in the bible where God is saying He does things in a human way and you'll have a theology makes sense.

If you're only going to limit the figure to a secular definition, then I'll reject the word and come up with a new one. It is also the attribution of finite human feelings and characteristics to the infinite God.
The only way we can find out if God can have the same feelings we have attributed to Him is if He tells us.

Anthropopathism cannot be applied to man, because it would be attributing human feelings or characteristics to humans, and the figure is lost.
Right, the figure is lost. But we have no reason to not attribute the same feelings that humans have to God because He does not deviate from a consistent presentation of Himself in any other way. Perhaps you should consider that we exhibit feelings in the same way that God does, but in a lesser way because we are finite.

If it cannot be taken literally, then it is a figure, Yorzhik. And you're right, God is communicating to Adam, not describing His own attributes or character. Why do you recognize this here, but not in Gen 22:12?
Because each figure is taken in context. The context of the discourse with Adam is of one type, and the context of the discourse with Abraham another.

You've proven my point by your own example.
I've proven your point because God can use figures, speak literally, ask rhetorical questions, and use sarcasm?

Will He take you to heaven if you choose to rebel against Him from this moment forward, until you die?
He will let me reject Him and leave heaven when I get there. At least that is what "until" seems to mean.

Right. In what do you place your assurance? That God will try the best He can? What if His best isn't good enough? What if He gets totally surprised and has no backup plan?
Because God has solved the game of life, as it were.

quote:
Yorzhik writes:
I'm sure you've heard of the chess master analogy, correct? For anyone that hasn't heard it, it goes like this:

quote:
God is like a chess master that has solved the game of chess. He doesn't need to know what moves His opponent might make, He might even be surprised by some of the moves the opponent makes, but that can never change the fact that since God has solved the game, His will must be done in the end.
This is a logical impossibility. He cannot know the outcome absolutely without knowing every move. He might have a good guess, He might even have odds in His own favor, but He cannot know absolutely the outcome.
What do you think "solved the game of chess" means?

So, could you be confident that the chess master that has solved the game will win? He doesn't know the future exhaustively.
I wouldn't be. Not unless I was confident that the player knew, without fail, every move the opponent would make.
Jim, that was a rhetorical question. You can say, "I wouldn't be", but that is unreasonable if you understood what was written.

Z Man

Originally posted by Clete Pfeiffer

GIT,

While I understand why you posted what you did and I agree with the bulk of what you said, I really wish you hadn't said it. Z Man's response is the reason why. Now Z Man will focus on all these individual passages and our interpretation of them instead of focusing on the issue, which was his plan from the beginning.
My plan from the beginning was to get you guys to see that according to Scripture, your statement that "God would be unjust for ordaining people to do things, then hold them accountable" is wrong.

This thread started with Knight claiming that a women was 'stupid' for declaring God gave her cancer. I proved him wrong in that indeed, God does grant people 'diseases'. Job gave God credit for his boils, and did not sin with his lips. And so, the woman too has credited God for her cancer, and she has not sinned with her lips either.
I had responded to the point he was making by asking those questions in more than one way and more than sufficiently for us to continue on track on the issue of whether or not God's actions are consistent with a correct understanding of justice. All Z Man has done is muddy the water with this line of questioning. The debate is not about these individual passages. Even if you undeniably and unarguably proved that our interpretation was correct all Z Man would do is post another half dozen passages for us to discuss. None of them matter in regards to this discussion!
The Scriptures do matter in this arguement!!!

You can only argue about opinions for so long without the basis of Scripture to support either view. Both of us look to Scriptures for truth; that's where we should both base our 'opinions' and belief and doctrine upon. You can tell me all day and try to prove to me how it is 'illogical' to believe in a God who predestines and holds people accountable at the same time, but your opinions do not matter to me if you cannot support them with Scripture. As far as I'm concerned, the Scriptures I have been constantly presenting show us a God who ordains and holds us accountable. Thus, although you have repeatedly stated till you were blue in the face that in doing those things, God would be unjust, since the Scriptures proclaim that God ordains and holds us accountable, God is not unjust for doing so. Yes, He does ordain and hold accountable, and despite what you believe, He is not unjust for it! No matter how 'illogical' you find that to be!
If whatever interpretation you have says that God ... punishes someone for something that they could not have kept from doing then that interpretation is wrong.
And that's why I really and truly want to know how you deal with those passages of Scripture!!! Who do you think told David to take that census, then punished him for it? How do you interpret it to NOT read that God ordained David to sin, then held him accountable? How?

Who hardened Pharaoh's heart so that he wouldn't let the Israelites go, THEN commanded him to do that very thing? Who Clete? How do you interpret it to NOT read that God commanded Pharaoh to do something that he could not do whatsoever? Who opposes adultry, yet ordained that Absolom should sleep with his fathers wives??? Who did 'such a thing' Clete? Who opposes murder, yet ordained that their own Son be murdered? Who?

Clete,

If these passages of Scripture do not mean what they blatantly tell us (that God ordains, then holds us accountable; and that God decrees 'evil'), then what do they mean Clete? How do you interpret them to NOT say what they say?

Clearly, it can't be done unless you are willing to rip pages out of the Bible, or to just totally ignore them, as you are very eager to do. Why do you find them so hard to confront?
God did not make Pharaoh do evil.
Who hardened Pharaoh's heart so that he wouldn't let the Israelites go, then commanded him to let the Israelites go?
He did not command David to do evil.
Who commanded David to take that census, then punished him for it?
Going over every detail in the Bible is not necessary; If you read a passage and come away from it thinking that God just did something that would be unjust for me to do to someone else then you have misunderstood the passage and need to read it again. If it is wrong for me to be unjust then it not only is wrong for God to be unjust, it is impossible!
You are not allowed to kill. Is God? You are not allowed to command the praises of other people. Is God? You are not to boast in your ways. Is God?

Can God do nothing unless you can do it? Please... :down:
Yes that’s right, the omnipotent God who created everything that exist by the power of His spoken word CANNOT do evil!
No one is proclaiming that God does evil Clete. Let's get that straight. I've only said it a million times, but you refuse to accept that. You want to continue to believe that I am claiming that God does evil, because it is easier for you to hate my view that way...
Z Man,

I'm sorry for having been so ugly yesterday. I was just frustrated. I'll try to keep my emotions in check!
That's ok. I didn't really think you were all that 'ugly' yesterday. Anyways, thanks for the apology. :)
I knew that you would do this though! That is why no one was responding to them directly, it could only serve to derail the issue!
I'm not trying to derail the issue! I thought I couldn't have been more on the issue! Are we not debating whether or not God would be unjust for ordaining people to do things, then hold them accountable for it? Then those Scriptures I represent could not be any more clearer:

GOD CANNOT BE UNJUST FOR ORDAINING PEOPLE TO DO THINGS, THEN HOLD THEM ACCOUNTABLE! HE DOES IT ALL THE TIME!
Please drop this line of questioning and respond to the conceptual points being made. We are talking about big picture type issues here, getting bogged down in a hundred details that we could spend the next hundred years debating will never get us any closer to a resolution on our main topic. I really don't want for this debate to disintegrate into meaninglessness! Please keep the main thing the main thing!
:confused:

I am so confused. Talk about 'muddying the water', or 'clouding the issue'! I'm not bringing in ' a hundred details' into this debate; I'm simply proving that your wrong and I'm right, through the evidence of SCRIPTURE!!! Do you not believe that the Scripture is the final authority? Do you not base your doctrine upon it? If so, you must see and now believe that indeed, God cannot be unjust for ordaining people to do certain things, then hold them accountable for it. The Scriptures tell us that He does those very things!

I do not want this debate to dissolve either. But frankly, I don't think it's a matter of me trying to derail the issue and get off topic that is the problem; I think it's your lack of support for the claim that 'God is unjust for predestining and holding us accountable'. You've simply ran out of 'fuel'.

God bless.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Knight? Hehe.. He started to do it, but I guess he realized that there was no way he could 'mis-interpret' the passages to work to his advantage, and gave up.. :chuckle:
LOL... the only thing I gave up on was... trying to dialogue with you!

Z Man

Clete,

you are probably right but at least now he can't say no one has tried to answer them :) he may not like how i answer them, but that's life.
You didn't 'answer' them; and I wasn't necessarily looking for an 'answer'. I just wanted to see how you guys interpreted them to NOT say what they clearly say.

Obviously, you failed GIT, in showing us how God is still unjust for ordaining people to do stuff, then hold them accountable for it. Unless you can manage to interpret those passages of Scripture to NOT say what they say, you will always be wrong, because Scripture can never be wrong.
Question 1:

Does God ever contradict his chracter?
No.
in other words, will God ever do something that is against his own character?
No.
will he ever violate his character?
No.
going on the assumption that your answer is no (as you said before), what happens if you find that your theology leads a God who contradicts his character?
It would be wrong.
Question 2:

the bible says that God is love and that love is self seeking. why do you then reject the conclusion that God is self seeking?
Ummm.. I think you worded that question backwards. I'm the one who believes God is 'self-seeking', remember?

God bless.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

:chuckle:

Uh huh.. surrrrrrre you did.... ;)
Its true Z Man... you really are terrible at dialogue. You're pretty much like Freak or smaller... in that you pay little or no attention to those you are debating. Instead you plow through the thread ignoring responses and questions and act as if it is we aren't addressing your concerns.

Debating you is a waste of time because it's like debating someone who can't hear you.

At least guys like Hilston and even Rolf have the courtesy to acknowledge those that are debating them.

The only thing I determine is that you aren't interested in actual debate. Maybe you are afraid that you are wrong or maybe you are afraid you will lost your investment in the debate... I don't know and I really don't care.

Z Man

Originally posted by Knight

Its true Z Man... you really are terrible at dialogue. You're pretty much like Freak or smaller... in that you pay little or no attention to those you are debating. Instead you plow through the thread ignoring responses and questions and act as if it is we aren't addressing your concerns.

Debating you is a waste of time because it's like debating someone who can't hear you.
I admit, I am picky in 'hearing' the answers or responses to my post. Usually, if it is nothing more than someones 'opinion' on the matter, with no Scriptural support, I don't give a hoot.

'Sola Scriptura' I always say...
At least guys like Hilston and even Rolf have the courtesy to acknowledge those that are debating them.
I think you are going to far in saying that I don't even 'acknowledge' who I am debating with. Granted, I may be picky in what I hear (selective hearing), but I do have a sincere heart in listening and trying to reason and 'see' the other's persons views. A lot of times though, if it's not Scriptural, like I've said before, I stop 'listening'. There comes a time when it gets really repetitive, and its like the other person continues to repeat to me thier 'views', as if I did not understand them or read them before. And at the same time, I'm screaming back to them Scriptural support to show them their error, or whatever. And until the other person confronts those passages of Scripture and gives some kind of effort in explaining how they reconcile those passages with their view, I don't listen. I'm not interested in a person's view being 'logical' or not; I'm more interested in what the Scriptures say regarding the issue.
The only thing I determine is that you aren't interested in actual debate. Maybe you are afraid that you are wrong or maybe you are afraid you will lost your investment in the debate... I don't know and I really don't care.
I'm not interested in 'debate' for debate's sake; I'm more interested in getting people to see the TRUTH of Scripture. I wanna share Scripture with people and to see them have thier minds blown away by it. Too many people believe in what they've been taught, and not in what the Scriptures teach...

God bless.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I'm more interested in getting people to see the TRUTH of Scripture.
LOL... that's funny coming from someone who preaches that everything we do was predestined ages ago. :chuckle: