ARGH!!! Calvinism makes me furious!!!

Z Man

Originally posted by God_Is_Truth

i am not questioning what God's glory does to him when it's received, i am questioning the motives of the actions that bring him glory.
His motives are to get us to praise and glorify His one and only name. He seeks His own glory; and in doing so, it is loving.
is love self seeking or not Z Man?
Our love should not be 'self seeking'; it should be towards God. God's love is stemmed from His passion for His own glory. Because He seeks to glorify Himself, He is loving us in return.
is God love or not Z Man?
Of course He is.
is God self seeking or not Z Man?
Of course He is. If He wasn't, we would have nothing to love. You think God beckons us to praise ourselves? Of course not. He desires the praises of His people; He seeks to magnify and glorify His Name among the Earth. In doing this, He is loving.

Get it? Got it? Good...

boogerhead

Originally posted by Clete Pfeiffer

First, in response to something you said to Knight, “Sola Scriptura” is not in the Bible and so that portion of your theology is also self defeating. Theology must be based on BOTH Scripture and sound reason. I don’t know who it was, but someone smarter than me once said, “Theology is a logos about the theos, the logic of God. Theology is a rational discourse about God.” Thus just coming up with a collection of verses that seem to support your position is not sufficient to prove your thesis.

the scriptures are perfect...
Psalms 19, verse 7
7: The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.

the scriptures should be the standard of teaching...not man's logic...
1 Peter 4, verse 11
11: If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

our logic is not in charge of understanding the scriptures...the Holy Spirit enables us to understand them...we know the things of man...not these things of the Spirit unless or until God reveals them to us...
1 Corinthians 2, verses 10 - 14
10: But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
11: For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
12: Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
13: Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
14: But the natural man (attempting to use his own logic how one may put it...) receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Psalms 119, verses 12 , 13
12: Blessed art thou, O LORD: teach me thy statutes.
13: With my lips have I declared all the judgments of thy mouth.

Psalms 119, verse 33
33: Teach me, O LORD, the way of thy statutes; and I shall keep it unto the end.

Psalms 119, verse 66
66: Teach me good judgment and knowledge: for I have believed thy commandments.

Z Man

Originally posted by Clete

“Sola Scriptura” is not in the Bible and so that portion of your theology is also self defeating. Theology must be based on BOTH Scripture and sound reason. ... Thus just coming up with a collection of verses that seem to support your position is not sufficient to prove your thesis.
I still can't get over this comment.

If Scripture isn't 'sufficient' enough to build your theology upon, then what else is? BTW, Sola Scriptura is Biblical:

2 Timothy 3:16-17
All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete and thoroughly equipped for every good work.

God_Is_Truth

Originally posted by Z Man

If Scripture isn't 'sufficient' enough to build your theology upon, then what else is? BTW, Sola Scriptura is Biblical:

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete and thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Z Man, you can't interpret scripture without logic. it's self defeating to try.

Last edited:

God_Is_Truth

His motives are to get us to praise and glorify His one and only name. He seeks His own glory; and in doing so, it is loving.

love does NOT seek it's own.

Our love should not be 'self seeking'; it should be towards God. God's love is stemmed from His passion for His own glory. Because He seeks to glorify Himself, He is loving us in return.

love is not both a self seeking thing and a not self seeking thing. that's a contradiction in the defintion. love is either self seeking or it's not. the bible says it's not.

Of course He is.

then he's not self seeking, by defintion.

Of course He is. If He wasn't, we would have nothing to love

we love God because he loved us, not because he loves himself.

You think God beckons us to praise ourselves? Of course not.

i never suggested such a thing.

He desires the praises of His people; He seeks to magnify and glorify His Name among the Earth

there is a difference between praising someone because they are worthy of it and because they desire it.

In doing this, He is loving.

no, that's not loving at all. love is other centered. it does not seek it's own. unless you rewrite the definition of love, you cannot use it as a reason why God seeks his own glory.

Get it? Got it? Good...

the nature of love is to give. it is other centered. God's nature also includes giving and is also other centered.

yeah, i got it.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by boogerhead

the scriptures are perfect...

Only if applied logically. If you discard logic then language, including the language in the Scripture, is meaningless. You had to use logic to come to the conclusion that Scripture is perfect. Logic is what makes things make sense. In a rational discourse on any subject and especially Christian theology, logic is inescapable.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

Z Man,

It is clear that you do not see how you just argued against yourself and proved my point so I'm going to try to communicate this in a way that I hope can't be possibly missed.
Let's take the form of the argument you just made but use a different verse of scripture as the proof text....

Jos 16:8 The border went out from Tappuah westward unto the river Kanah; and the goings out thereof were at the sea. This [is] the inheritance of the tribe of the children of Ephraim by their families.

Now does that make any sense whatsoever?
No, it obviously doesn't.

Why?

Because the Scripture is not being applied in a logical manner. Thus theology, by definition, must be based on BOTH Scripture and sound reason (logic).

Resting in Him,
Clete

Z Man

GIT,

There is no reason to debate with you. You basically agree with me. You are just arguing for 'arguings sake'. You too, believe that God seeks to glorify Himself, because if you didn't, then you must believe God seeks to glorify something else. And if that's the case, there would be no reason to love Him, but rather, whatever it is He seeks to glorify.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

GIT,

There is no reason to debate with you. You basically agree with me. You are just arguing for 'arguings sake'. You too, believe that God seeks to glorify Himself, because if you didn't, then you must believe God seeks to glorify something else. And if that's the case, there would be no reason to love Him, but rather, whatever it is He seeks to glorify.
False dichotomy.

God_Is_Truth

GIT,

God gets glory because he is worthy of glory. nowhere do we find people saying "i praise you o God because you are one who seeks out your own glory". why? cause it's not who God is.

we do see things like :

Psalm 63:3
Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you.

Luke 2:20
The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things they had heard and seen, which were just as they had been told

Daniel 4:37
Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and exalt and glorify the King of heaven, because everything he does is right and all his ways are just. And those who walk in pride he is able to humble.

so you see, God get's praise and glory because of who he is and what he does, not because he seeks it. he is worthy of honor and praise for being God and for loving us so much, not because he is a glory hog who is constantly planning ways for people to give him more glory.

Hilston

Hall of Fame
This is a reply to Yorzhik's post #973.

Yorzhik cited Gen 8:22 to support his claim that God declared He would not manipulate the natural order. "While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease."

Jim asked: So are you saying that God does not really violate the verse as long as the violation is out in the open?

Yorzhik writes:
No, it's not a violation if it is out in the open, because it would be God interacting, ...
Is it not "God interacting" if it is done in secret?

Yorzhik writes:
... not God changing the rules.
Perhaps I don't understand what you mean by changing the rules. Is enabling a human to walk on water or making an axehead float considered "changing the rules"?

Yorzhik previously wrote: I realize this is a fine point, so we need to get to the foundation of your claim. The point you are making, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that God, if He loved all men, would manipulate His creation to create the most favorable environment for men to come to Him in love.

Jim replied: No. I'm saying that He could, based on statistics, carefully and selectively prevent the premature deaths of innocent people at the hands of evil people, knowing that, statistically speaking, the odds are in His favor of more people getting saved if they live longer.

Yorzhik writes:
And by living longer, aren't you saying that would be more favorable for those men to come to love Him?
No. Your statement referred to "all men." My statement pertains only to the events of His choosing, not to all men without exception.

Jim previously wrote: I'm not saying that He has to step in all the time in every case

Yorzhik writes:
So being a supreme intellect He can violate His own rules?
I'm not understanding something here. Were miracles a violation of these "rules" or not? If not, please give an example of something that would be considered breaking the rules. If yes, please explain why God must do something out in the open for it to be allowed according to your view.

Yorzhik writes:
If He steps in sometimes, secretly, He obligates Himself to step in all the time. Any situation can be improved.
Why is He obligated? Isn't God allowed to choose when He will intervene and when He will not? When God was intervening with Israel, was He also intervening with the Aztecs? That seems to be what your premise suggests.

Yorzhik writes:
Any situation can be improved.
I want to make sure you really want to say this before I go after it. Do you stand by this claim, or do you want to revise it?

Jim wrote: But if God has predetermined our desires, preferences, etc., then we will act in accordance with them, and He never has to touch us, so to speak. And we will perfectly fulfill His decreed plan for us, because He has predetermined everything about us that will influence all of our choices.

Yorzhik writes:
Sure, if God has predetermined everything, then our will is not free of God's. But we don't find this in scripture.
That's the rub of this debate, isn't it? I focus on verses that seem to teach this. You focus on verses that seem to oppose this. Both kinds of verses are found in scripture. Do you agree with those statements?

Jim wrote: We can't make each other choose against our will, so in that sense, yes. I'm not sure of the relevance of your question.

Yorzhik writes:
It is an example of free wills that are captive (to themselves) but free from each other. By the many passages that tell us that God has a separate will from our will, I'll go with the bible.
This is the point of the prescriptive-decretive distinction. On my view, our wills are not free from God's will as decree (decretive will), which is the point of Paul asking rhetorically, "Who hath resisted His will?" That refers to God's decretive will. However, our wills often violate God's will as command (prescriptive will). "You do always resist the Holy Spirit." That refers to God's prescriptive will.

Jim wrote: God gave himself rules to live by? Whence came those rules?

Yorzhik writes:
By God Himself, in some cases. Reality, in other cases.
It seems to me that your view of God presents Him as partly arbitrary (giving Himself rules) and also subordinate to a higher authority ("reality" as you call it). I wish I could impress upon you how absolutely denigrating these statements are to God's infinitude, authority, and holiness. On the other hand, I should not be surprised, coming from one who views God as a big super human (and somehow "much more").

Jim asked: That doesn't help the innocent people who are in hell because they did not receive Jesus as their Lord and Savior.

Yorzhik writes: We aren't sure if the innocent go straight to hell.
I'm coming to the conclusion that Open Theists do not understand God's holiness. Of course the innocent go straight to hell. Their innate rebellion is sufficient to damn them for eternity. That is how holy (not a big super human and "much more") God actually is. That is why no one can stand in His presence apart from Christ without being obliterated. I've heard Bob Enyart say, "If sinners were allowed into heaven, they would turn heaven into hell." Clearly, Mr. Enyart is without a clue regarding the utter holiness of God. Sinners would be destroyed in the fulness of His presence. That is why those who saw God expected to die (Judges 13:22 Ge 32:30 Ex 33:20 De 5:26 Isa 6:5)

Jim asked: Don't you believe that all innocent people who do not believe in Christ for their salvation go to hell?

Yorzhik writes:
We'll have to ask God, or observe when we got to heaven.
Amazing. Is that what all Open Theists believe? You're really not sure about this?

Jim wrote: No. As I said before, He can be selective. He can make the statistical calculations and base His intervention or non-intervention on those calculations. Why wouldn't God do this if it improved His odds of more getting saved?

Yorzhik writes:
The God of the bible won't secretly manipulate physics for some people because that would obligate Him to change physics for everybody.
Do you really believe that? Were miracles being performed all over the world when God parted the Red Sea? Was iron swimming all over the world at the time when God did this for Elisha (2Ki 6:5,6)?

Jim wrote: No, because I'm talking about preventing the work of evil men who seek to bring about the deaths of innocent people. I'm not talking about God preventing the unwise actions of innocent people and the consequences those actions bring. Evil men acting upon innocent men. Not innocent men acting upon themselves.

Yorzhik writes:
Why this limitation? Is there something in the bible where you get this from?
The limitations come from what seem to be imposed by the Open View. I'm trying to find a loophole in accordance with the Open View conception of God.

Jim wrote: Also, it may be that you're not following my use of the word "innocent." It doesn't mean "pure as the driven snow." It means, in Open View terms (if I understand them correctly), not deserving of the consequences, whatever they may be.

Yorzhik writes:
We agree.
I should point out that it not my definition of "innocent," but what I view as the definition in Open View terms. I'm pleased that I got it right.

jim wrote: In this case, I'm talking about those who did not deserve to die horrific deaths as consequence of the actions of evil terrorists.

Yorzhik writes:
Did not deserve? By what measure?
By the Open View measure. Didn't you just agree that there are certain innocent people who do not deserve certain consequences?

Jim wrote: Consider this. Group A comprises 1,000 unbelievers who were all born on the same day. Group B comprises 1,000 unbelievers who were all born on the same day. The people in group A live only to age 30. The people in group B live to age 60. Of those 2,000 people, let's say a total of 250 believe in Christ and are saved from hell. Would it surprise you if the same scenario resulted in a total of 400 believing in Christ as a result of Group A living as long as Group B? Do you think God is capable of making such a calculation?

Yorzhik writes:
God can calculate. But the influence of those longer living people He could just as easily calculate will do more harm than good to group C. So instead of manipulating behind the scenes, He tells everyone the rules up front and lets the chips fall where they will. If they don't love God, they were warned.
Is that how you expect a big super human (and "much more") to treat those He loves? You wouldn't expect Him to step in every once in a while to the benefit of those He loves?

Jim asked: But, statistically speaking, wouldn't the goodness and love that results from dozens who later come to Christ far outweigh the damage and the hate of those who do not?

Yorzhik writes: No. The damage done would outweigh the goodness.
Please give me an example where the "damage done" would outweigh the salvation of more people.

Yorzhik writes:
He is a big super human. He is also much more. Or you could say, we are a small image of God, and God is much more.
Those are not interchangeable statements. Being made in the image of God does not mean we are miniature versions of Him, or just lesser representations of Him. The imago Dei comprises a reflection of God's sentience, self-awareness, creativity, rationality and relationships. And while each of these can be examined in light of God's word to recognize that man was created in His image, we cannot turn around and extrapolate, thereby setting human limits on God's attributes and traits.

Jim wrote: I'm glad for your admission, although it saddens me that you hold to this view. I will file your statement for future reference.

Yorzhik writes:
Okay. So you think if God is a big super human that He is not much more?
My view does not allow me to measure, assess or judge God on human terms. I see "much more" as an insulting understatement.

Jim wrote: If you define these actions, thinking, and feelings in humans terms, the answer is no. Man is the imago dei, not the other way around. Man reflects, in finite terms, God's nature and character to varying degrees, not the other way around. So, at best, we can only have an anthropomorphic/anthropopathic inkling of the infinite God. God does not physically move. God does not "look" in order to see. God does not sleep. God does not "feel" the way we do. Our emotions are tied into so many peripherals that God does not have (uncertainty, mood, what we had for breakfast, how people are treating us, the level of seratonin in our brains, the synaptic response time in our neurological centers, our personalities, our genetics, etc.). So God does not cry. God does not forget. God does not get distracted. Yet there are all these verses in the Bible suggest these very things. Why? Because it was expected that the audience would recognize the figures, as well as their power and importance in enabling humans to relate to and better understand, in a severely limited and finite way, the infinite God.

Yorzhik writes:
But they don't help us to relate and understand if they are figures.
Then you don't know the importance or the power of figurative language, yet you use it all the time. Do you have E.W. Bullinger's Figures of Speech Used in the Bible? It's not that expensive. I highly recommend it.

Yorzhik writes:
They help us throw up our hands and throw away the bible because it is meaningless.
Do you agree that Jesus' reference to Himself as the "way" is figurative? Is it meaningless to you? Do you agree that God does not have feathers and wings? Yet the Psalmist says, "He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust:" Is that meaningless to you?

Jim wrote: What if God really is so transcendant (not a big super human) that all those "opposite statements" really are figures that God employed to convey otherwise unfathomable traits and attributes?

Yorzhik writes:
Because they don't show God as transcendent. They show God to be unable to communicate.
Yorzhik, I didn't say they "show God as transcendent." They communicate otherwise unfathomable traits and attributes. How can God or anyone communicate the infinite to finite creatures unless figurative language is used? Language itself is finite, Yorzhik. Surely you see this.

Jim asked: What convinces you that you're right in taking these passages as literal and not figurative?

Yorzhik writes:
First, because we can do no other. We don't take something that we read that makes sense, and confuse the meaning in our minds for no reason.
I think we've hit upon the very nexus of this debate. You see, when I read a verse that puts human limits on God, that doesn't make sense in light of my theology, so I look for a figurative meaning that emphatically and purposefully communicates something to man. When you see a verse that puts human limits on God, you take it as literal because it makes sense in light of your theology.

Yorzhik writes:
Second, because our innate understanding of conscience, that God imparted a will in us.
I'm not denying conscience and will, so this is not a point of disagreement. The nature and extent of that conscience and will is the issue.

jim wrote: The Bible itself uses the author analogy, Yorzhik. "... and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them." (Ps 139:16) "Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God." (Heb 10:7) "And I saw in the right hand of him that sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside, sealed with seven seals." (Re 5:1) Who is the author of these books?

Yorzhik writes:
Right, but not in the context that you are arguing.
How is it a different context?

Jim wrote: A study of the subject of prophecy reveals at least two things: There is prophetic utterance in the form of telling the future, and there is prophetic utterance in the form of command. The former is prophetic decree, the latter is prophetic prescription. Context determines the meaning in every case. Would agree up to this point? If not, I will happily supply the biblical support for these distinctions.

The question the astute Bible reader should ask every time he sees a prophecy uttered in scripture is: Is this a telling of the future, or is this a command from God? The context of Jonah indicates the latter. Jonah was prophesying to the Ninevites: Repent or you will be destroyed. It was not a telling of the future; it was a threat under a probationary period of 40 days. If Jonah's words were not prescriptive and intended to merely inform the Ninevites of their coming destruction, why give them any time at all? The fact of the probationary period (40 days even!) makes emphatic Jonah's warning to Nineveh to repent, or else.

Yorzhik writes:
What is clear from the story is that God's decree and subsequent change from that decree depended on the will of the King of Nineveh. He does exactly what He said He could do in Jer 18.
This was not a decree. It was a command. God did not plan to destroy Nineveh (that would be decree). Rather, He commanded Nineveh to repent, or else be destroyed. It is prescriptive, just as God's command to keep the Sabbath or be executed. God's decree was that Nineveh would repent, and it certainly came to pass.

Jim wrote: ... on the Open View, did God ~really~ need to discover for Himself whether or not Abraham would be obedient or not? God knew very well what Abraham would do.

Yorzhik writes:
That's not what the text says.
You're already supposed to know that going in. You're supposed to know that God is omniscient. So when you read something like, "Now I know," you realize what God is lovingly communicating to Abraham. Abraham knew that God already knew the outcome. Just as Peter already knew that Jesus knew his heart when He asked: "Do you love me?" Peter knew he was being tested, just as Abraham did. Peter knew Jesus already knew the outcome ("Lord, thou knowest all things. Thou knowest that I love thee." Jn 21:17), just as Abraham knew that God already knew the outcome of his test.

Jim wrote: If you saw that the words were intended to convey information to Abraham, not to illustrate the limits of God's knowledge, then you could replace "now I know" with "see, Abraham? You passed the test!"

Yorzhik writes:
Thank you. You are the first person to actually answer the question. So we can replace the figure with what you wrote:

"And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: see, Abraham? You passed the test, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me"
While that is the meaning conveyed, the figure is unduly weakened by replacing it with my words. The way God said it makes it emphatic, makes it endearing, makes it poignant to Abraham. Just as I tried to show with my example about my son: "Now I know you're a smart boy!" is more emphatic than, "See, Caleb? You passed the test!"

Yorzhik writes:
There. Now that makes sense. Now just do that with all the figures in the bible where God is saying He does things in a human way and you'll have a theology makes sense.
Again, you've utterly missed the point of figures. You're not supposed to replace them. You're supposed to understand them as they are communicated. To say, "I'm cold," is a figure of speech. In Ukranian, they do not have this figure. If you were to say, "I'm cold," they would think you meant, "I'm dead." They know that a healthy body is approx. 98.6 degrees whether the air temperature is 30 degrees or 90 degrees. What one is literally conveying is, "The nerve endings in my skin are reacting to a decrease in air temperature and my brain is interpreting that sensation as a coldness that surrounds my warm body." But in our language, that's not the same, or as emphatic, or as poignant as saying, "I'm cold."

Jim wrote: If you're only going to limit the figure to a secular definition, then I'll reject the word and come up with a new one. It is also the attribution of finite human feelings and characteristics to the infinite God.

Yorzhik writes:
The only way we can find out if God can have the same feelings we have attributed to Him is if He tells us.
Again, here is the crux of the debate. I view God as transcendent, far above human feelings. And the way He communicates His relationship to us is in condescensio, describing otherwise unfathomable traits and attributes in finite terms. You view Him as a big super human (and "much more"), so you do not bring His infinitude and transcendence into consideration.

Jim wrote: Anthropopathism cannot be applied to man, because it would be attributing human feelings or characteristics to humans, and the figure is lost.

Yorzhik writes:
Right, the figure is lost. But we have no reason to not attribute the same feelings that humans have to God because He does not deviate from a consistent presentation of Himself in any other way.
That's because human nature does not deviate. If (hypothetically speaking) God were to communicate with dogs, He would not deviate from a consistent presentation of Himself in dog terms. Open Theist dogs would assume that God is a big super dog.

Yorzhik writes:
Perhaps you should consider that we exhibit feelings in the same way that God does, but in a lesser way because we are finite.
I do believe that, although I would not use the word "lesser." Our feelings, self-awareness, emotional responses, rational faculties and relational interactions all reflect, but do not represent, God's "feelings, self-awareness, emotional responses, rational faculties and relational interactions." But that entire list is figurative, because the traits and attributes of the infinite cannot be adequately represented by the finite.

Jim wrote: If it cannot be taken literally, then it is a figure, Yorzhik. And you're right, God is communicating to Adam, not describing His own attributes or character. Why do you recognize this here, but not in Gen 22:12?

Yorzhik writes:
Because each figure is taken in context. The context of the discourse with Adam is of one type, and the context of the discourse with Abraham another.
Please explain.

Jim wrote: You've proven my point by your own example.

Yorzhik writes:
I've proven your point because God can use figures, speak literally, ask rhetorical questions, and use sarcasm?
You made the point that God was not speaking of His own lack of knowledge, but rather was communicating something to Adam. How do you know God was not speaking of His own lack of knowledge concerning Adam?

Jim asked: Will He take you to heaven if you choose to rebel against Him from this moment forward, until you die?

Yorzhik writes:
He will let me reject Him and leave heaven when I get there. At least that is what "until" seems to mean.
Wow.

Jim asked: Right. In what do you place your assurance? That God will try the best He can? What if His best isn't good enough? What if He gets totally surprised and has no backup plan?

Yorzhik writes:
Because God has solved the game of life, as it were.
But He doesn't know that. On the Open View, He may become surprised by something He did not anticipate, by something that never entered His mind. Sure, you can cross your fingers and hope that God knows what He is doing, but He has failed in the past. He could fail again.

Yorzhik previously wrote:
God is like a chess master that has solved the game of chess. He doesn't need to know what moves His opponent might make, He might even be surprised by some of the moves the opponent makes, but that can never change the fact that since God has solved the game, His will must be done in the end.
Jim replied: This is a logical impossibility. He cannot know the outcome absolutely without knowing every move. He might have a good guess, He might even have odds in His own favor, but He cannot know absolutely the outcome.

Yorzhik writes:
What do you think "solved the game of chess" means?
It means nothing if He can be surprised by something that never entered His mind.

So, could you be confident that the chess master that has solved the game will win? He doesn't know the future exhaustively.
Jim replied: I wouldn't be. Not unless I was confident that the player knew, without fail, every move the opponent would make.

Jim, that was a rhetorical question. You can say, "I wouldn't be", but that is unreasonable if you understood what was written.
What was written was unreasonable in light of OV claims.

Last edited:

Big Finn

quote:
Originally posted by Big Finn

All you do when you post is prove that you don't know God. "God so loved the world that He gave..." is the Biblical picture of God. Your version of God is: God so loved Himself ....
***shakes head in wonderment at the power of living in an African river***

Big Finn,

Please, for the sake of your dignity and intellect, please read this article.

God bless

Well, I see you're condescending with everyone. At least you're consistent in something, even if you're not logically consistent.

BTW, I'll skip the Calvinist propoganda. Any theology that makes one redefine the Biblically expressed concepts of love, justice, moral responsibility, and God's character in a vain attempt to try to keep its adherents from admitting that God would have to be selfish, unjust, and unloving if He were really like what the theology pictures Him as is one I'll stay a long ways away from.

Rolf Ernst

If OVers would bother to research into Socinianism, a heresy which appeared shortly after the Reformers broke away from the catholic church, they would find their method of hermeneutics precisely described.

That doesn't mean I am saying that today's OVers believe the same things which the Socinians believed, but I AM saying that if they continue approaching hermeneutics by Socinian methods, they are in danger of arriving finally at the same heretical conclusions.

The best overview of Socinianism, which reveals the many parallels between Socinian hermeneutics and the hermeneutics of today's OVers is in William Cunningham's "Historical Theology," available from www.swrb.com.

This is a very good survey of historical church doctrines. Reinhold Seeburg's "History of Christian doctrine" is closest to it in thoroughness, and I can't even find a reference to Socinianism in his survey of church doctrines. Robert L. Reymond refers briefly to Socinianism in his "A new systematic theology of the Christian faith,"
and covers it as well posdsible in few words, but not with the depth of Cunningham

Rolf Ernst

add yasaf--in response to your post #972: To derive the proper benefit from the following verses, you must remember that ALL of scripture fits together without conflict, therefore each verse must be interpreted in a manner which does not leave it in conflict with other verses--

Mt.13:10-13; Phil.1:29; Eph. 1:19; 2:8; Phil. 1:29; Col.2:12; 1 Tim.1:14; Heb. 12:2; James 2:5; Acts 16:14; 2Thess 2:13; Jn.6:37; Amos 3:2; Josh. 11:18-20; Prov. 16:4; Rom. 9:17, 21-23; Ex.4:21; 14:17; Prov. 16:1; 21:1; Rom. 9:18; Jn.12:37-40; Rom.11:7; 1Thess. 5:9; 1Pet. 2:8; 2Pet; 2:12; Jude 4

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
BTW, I only use "Hilston" to keep this on a "business" level. I know your name is James, and I'll call you James when we can enjoy a good cigar at a grill together, or something else in that spirit.

Instead of straining at gnats on this miracle issue, let's try and crystallize. The reason we are even talking about miracles that change situations to enhance the possibility that humans will love God is because Hilston has put forth the premise that the OV God would do it that way. Let's look at miracles, overt and covert, taken to Hilston's logical conclusion:

To make a better world, with more people that are apt to love God, God can do indirect miracles to create the best conditions. It wouldn't be hard. God can secretly, whenever someone has evil thoughts, let a few atoms loose in the nervous system somewhere that would cause intense pain. Quickly, humans will notice a pattern: think evil, experience intense pain – think good thoughts, avoid pain. And it wouldn't be blamed on God because He wouldn't be obligated to tell anyone what exactly He is doing. Would God be loved? I honestly don't know. What's your prediction?

On the other hand, then, let us say, that God appears personally at the formation of every evil thought, announces "I heard that" and inflicts intense pain on the offender. Will people love God? I doubt it. Miracles tend to force people to reject God. So they may be good on earth because there is no escape until death – but upon death, they will probably prefer to go to hell. Of course, I'm just guessing. What's your prediction?

Any situation can be improved.
I want to make sure you really want to say this before I go after it. Do you stand by this claim, or do you want to revise it?
You are right. I need to add to it:

Any situation that God would be displeased with (i.e. the ones we are talking about) can be improved. Obviously, God will not change situations He is pleased with.

That's the rub of this debate, isn't it? I focus on verses that seem to teach this. You focus on verses that seem to oppose this. Both kinds of verses are found in scripture. Do you agree with those statements?
For the most part I agree.

This is the point of the prescriptive-decretive distinction. On my view, our wills are not free from God's will as decree (decretive will), which is the point of Paul asking rhetorically, "Who hath resisted His will?" That refers to God's decretive will. However, our wills often violate God's will as command (prescriptive will). "You do always resist the Holy Spirit." That refers to God's prescriptive will.
I'll have to read why you even have such a theory in your other thread.

It seems to me that your view of God presents Him as partly arbitrary (giving Himself rules) and also subordinate to a higher authority ("reality" as you call it). I wish I could impress upon you how absolutely denigrating these statements are to God's infinitude, authority, and holiness. On the other hand, I should not be surprised, coming from one who views God as a big super human (and somehow "much more").
Actually, the rules He gives Himself are at their foundation just more reality. For instance, He abides by the rule of Justice actively, because He is Just. He has the power to violate that rule, but His character will not allow it. Justice is just reality. What I then mean by "reality" is that He doesn't actually have to actively avoid making square circles, but He must abide by that rule because it cannot be done.

BTW, God will be thrilled to know that I know Him well enough to understand Him in the way He has presented himself.

I'm coming to the conclusion that Open Theists do not understand God's holiness. Of course the innocent go straight to hell.
Hell is punishment for the guilty, and the innocent, by definition, are not guilty.

Perhaps we can get through this if you tell me why this subject is something you want to bring up.

Amazing. Is that what all Open Theists believe? You're really not sure about this?
I think that's what they believe. If someone is not guilty (the definition of innocent), then God could not punish them and remain just, so what does He do with the innocent? I don't know.

By the Open View measure. Didn't you just agree that there are certain innocent people who do not deserve certain consequences?
Yes, certain consequences, but death in the twin towers isn't one of them (horrific or not).

But they don't help us to relate and understand if they are figures.
Then you don't know the importance or the power of figurative language, yet you use it all the time.
You took my reply out of context. I was replying to your explanation of the figurative speech you claim relating to anthropomorphic/anthropopathic figures. Not all figures.

My point was that if we use the *those* passages as figures, then they become largely devoid of coherent meaning.

Do you agree that Jesus' reference to Himself as the "way" is figurative? Is it meaningless to you? Do you agree that God does not have feathers and wings? Yet the Psalmist says, "He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust:" Is that meaningless to you?
See above. I'm not talking about figures in general.

Yorzhik, I didn't say they "show God as transcendent." They communicate otherwise unfathomable traits and attributes. How can God or anyone communicate the infinite to finite creatures unless figurative language is used? Language itself is finite, Yorzhik. Surely you see this.
Okay, fine; Because they don't communicate otherwise unfathomable traits and attributes. They show God to be unable to communicate.

How is it a different context?
Because the context is not about "Does God have the attributes of the author of free will", the context is that authors, and their attributes exist, and that God can use those, too.

You're already supposed to know that going in. You're supposed to know that God is omniscient
I belive God is omniscient going in. I don't believe God can know about something that doesn't exist. I only say that because God says so.

While that is the meaning conveyed, the figure is unduly weakened by replacing it with my words.
I don't think so. But that's just my opinion. And I only mean that for the figurative passages that you say God has human attributes.

Again, you've utterly missed the point of figures. You're not supposed to replace them.
That's not my point, actually. My point is that you *can* replace them. Since your theology (and I mean the collective "your") has been so resistant to such a simple test, it makes us (collective OV'ers) think you want to be illogical.

Again, here is the crux of the debate. I view God as transcendent, far above human feelings.
And far above human logic as well. I don't mean that in a derogatory way, but would this be true in your view of God?

That's because human nature does not deviate. If (hypothetically speaking) God were to communicate with dogs, He would not deviate from a consistent presentation of Himself in dog terms. Open Theist dogs would assume that God is a big super dog.
... and much more.

Because each figure is taken in context. The context of the discourse with Adam is of one type, and the context of the discourse with Abraham another.
Please explain.
Because Adam's behavior is explained prior to God's take on the situation. Even you could have figured out what happened, so God already knew what happened. Since God could see that Adam was not out in the opened, He knew Adam was hiding. It wasn't a test. The context of Abraham was that the behavior was the test, and until, like Adam, God saw the behavior, God said He didn't know. So one was in the context of known behavior, and one in the context of unknown behavior.

He will let me reject Him and leave heaven when I get there. At least that is what "until" seems to mean.
Wow.
I'd rather not start anther topic, but I don't suppose you could make a short reply on why you are surprised.

What do you think "solved the game of chess" means?
It means nothing if He can be surprised by something that never entered His mind.
Nope, that's not what it means. I'll think you're going to have to ask someone.

What was written was unreasonable in light of OV claims.
What OV claim precludes this analogy?

add yasaf

why?

why?

Rolf Ernst quote - add yasaf--in response to your post #972: To derive the proper benefit from the following verses, you must remember that ALL of scripture fits together without conflict, therefore each verse must be interpreted in a manner which does not leave it in conflict with other verses--

Mt.13:10-13; Phil.1:29; Eph. 1:19; 2:8; Phil. 1:29; Col.2:12; 1 Tim.1:14; Heb. 12:2; James 2:5; Acts 16:14; 2Thess 2:13; Jn.6:37; Amos 3:2; Josh. 11:18-20; Prov. 16:4; Rom. 9:17, 21-23; Ex.4:21; 14:17; Prov. 16:1; 21:1; Rom. 9:18; Jn.12:37-40; Rom.11:7; 1Thess. 5:9; 1Pet. 2:8; 2Pet; 2:12; Jude 4

Actually it was post #938. None of those verses answer what I said there. Each verse has it's own context that it must be read in. Each verse belongs to a certain book or letter that usually is addressing a few issues that the particular church is going through at the time. So instaed of PROOFTEXTING, you need to exegete each one individually. I could do the very same thing with verses that would support my position. It doesn't help anybody.

For Matthew 10:10-13 you need to read Blomberg's view of this in his book on parables. http://www.booksamillion.com/ncom/books?pid=0830812717&ad=YHSBKS

I like to call it the Emmaus Effect - Luke 24:15-16 - "Jesus ......walked along with them, but they were kept from recognizing him"

Then verse 28, 29 - "......Jesus acted if he was going further. But they urged him strongly, "stay with us..."

verse 30, 31 - "he took bread....and began to give it to them. Then their eyes were opened and they recognized him...."

Jesus, in his ministry, kept people at arms length so that they could make a decision. Whoever says that the parables are easy to understand are kidding themselves. They are designed so that people will follow that "burning within their heart", and ask further questions about the parables, like the disciples did.

In some cases the Pharisees knew that Jesus was talking about them in the parables, and so understood the referents, but still refused to believe. Luke 7:30 - "But the Pharisees and experts in the law rejected God's purpose for themselves...."

For Phil. 1:29 and Eph. 2:8 you can read Calvinists who agree that these verse scannot be pressed into service for the idea that faith is a gift. See Ridderbos - http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...219&path=0:3920:18841:18842:18845:18843:21702

And Wallace - http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=30042432&loc=106&sp=1

I don't like to make my posts real long so I can deal with the other Scriptures after, but shame on you for PROOFTEXTING.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by Rolf Ernst

If OVers would bother to research into Socinianism, a heresy which appeared shortly after the Reformers broke away from the catholic church, they would find their method of hermeneutics precisely described.

That doesn't mean I am saying that today's OVers believe the same things which the Socinians believed, but I AM saying that if they continue approaching hermeneutics by Socinian methods, they are in danger of arriving finally at the same heretical conclusions.

The best overview of Socinianism, which reveals the many parallels between Socinian hermeneutics and the hermeneutics of today's OVers is in William Cunningham's "Historical Theology," available from www.swrb.com.

This is a very good survey of historical church doctrines. Reinhold Seeburg's "History of Christian doctrine" is closest to it in thoroughness, and I can't even find a reference to Socinianism in his survey of church doctrines. Robert L. Reymond refers briefly to Socinianism in his "A new systematic theology of the Christian faith,"
and covers it as well possible in few words, but not with the depth of Cunningham

Rolf,

The Socinians believed among other things....
1. That there was no Trinity,
2. That Christ was not consubstantial with the Father and Holy Spirit,
3. That He was not conceived of the Holy Spirit, but begotten by St. Joseph, and
4. That His Death and Passion were not undergone to bring about our redemption.
(For those of you who are particularly sensitive about the issue of plagiarism, I got this list from http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14113a.htm)

These people weren't even Christians! I do not care how much they say that they valued reason, they obviously didn't use it in a consistent way. Indeed, they used it in much the same way as most real Christians do today. When reason yields the results they like, they use it; when it doesn't, they drop it like a hot rock.
What makes things tricky is that you can't always tell without help when you are guilty of this yourself! That I think is a primary benefit of this web site and others like it. The key is genuine intellectual honesty and humility.

Was it your intention by making this point to say that one should not use reason in determining their theology?
If not, was precisely was your point?

Resting in Him,
Clete

Last edited by a moderator:

Rolf Ernst

Clete--that is a good website tip. thanks.

my point was nothing more than the similarity between OVers hermeneutical stytle and the socinians. I was careful make clear that I wasn't accusing anyone of the Socinian heresies, but merely showing the dangers of elevating human logic and reasoning powers to the point that they were considered valuable in determining the meaning of scripture texts.

Yes, Clete. I reject human reasoning as a source of information in matters spiritual. The Bible says that IT is profitable, sufficient to
thoroughly furnish for EVERY good work. What does that leave out?
I believe the Bible touches every base we need in our earthly sojourn, and if human reason would add to or alter anything in scripture, it would be erroneous; hence, a hindrance rather than a help--unless, of course, a person is reasoning on the basis of scripture and rejecting any conclusion based upon that sanctified reasoning that is NOT ALSO VERIFIABLE BY SCRIPTURE. In other words, I believe our powers of reason may be profitable for guidance in the discovery of various texts which fit together for the systematizing of scripture truth IF, after reasoning has done its work, we find confirmation of it in texts of scripture.

Last edited: