ARCHIVE: Thread Theft (docrob and Knight)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
1] If you think you know what I believe, you're off your rocker. Of course, I've thought you were off you rocker for quite some time.
2] I am an ultra-conservative, so much so that I hate the state of the US. The only positive I can find is that I have the freedom to state my mind. There isn't even a political party that I would support, because none of them are conservative enough for my tastes, and none of them support God's plan for governing authority.:nono: I support God's plan for a monarchy, you dolt. And if you had any substance as a human being you would have investigated my position by reading my other posts. And what makes you think I buy into "Enlightenment?"

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
seekinganswers said:
I just think its funny that I'm accused of being a Roman Catholic, when all I am doing is tying myself to the Christian tradition (not just back to the Roman Catholic/Protestant split, but to the church catholic, which includes the East and looks back to before the first split and before Constantinianism). I'm still an evangelical (because I agree with the evangelical response to the liberal protestant scholasticism of the 18th and 19th centuries, I just don't think they've gone far enough). I hardly see the ridicule from people on this site to be a sign to convert to Catholicism. Many of the people on the site adhere to a radical evangelicalism known as dispensationalism, which I think is a complete and total foolishness on the part of evangelicals, an attempt to understand the scriptures in their own way, using the same foundational principles as the liberal protestants in the 18th and 19th centuries (and I would consider myself as part of this movement).

The Church of the Nazarene has its own issues, but within the scholarship of the church, within its schools and its seminary, there are some good things happening that help me to see hope for the church.

Roman Catholicism has its own issues, ever since the first Christiandom (which is the height of the church that has been in decline ever since). And now with the New Christendom, the church has found itself helpless in the face of the distortions of the state. The pope no longer holds authority over his people (because his word has been left to the conscience of individual people).

Peace,
Michael
I believe you are on the right side of wrong if that makes any sense.
Wouldn’t you agree that the evangelical movement is a big step back to the Catholic Church even though it is not your intention?
Why do you say the pope no longer has authority? The pope today has the same authority that was given to Peter.

seekinganswers

chrysostom said:
I believe you are on the right side of wrong if that makes any sense.
Wouldn’t you agree that the evangelical movement is a big step back to the Catholic Church even though it is not your intention?
Why do you say the pope no longer has authority? The pope today has the same authority that was given to Peter.

An authority is no authority at all if it cannot command it. Jesus performs the miracles he performs and the response is, "This man truly has authority." Jesus forgives sins, but he also heals where no one else can. You see, authority cannot simply be a nominal thing. Christ says that Peter will have authority to "loose or bind things in Heaven" whatever he can loose or bind on earth, for he says "whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in Heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in Heaven", and before that, "the gates of hates will not prevail against you." The authority of Peter is not absolute, for it only has an authority in Heaven in as much as Peter has authority on earth. Now if the pope is seen as nothing more than a figurehead of the church, and has been undermined by the state, I have to ask, where is his authority? How does he have anymore power than the queen of England? Its nothing more than basking in the glory of those who came before. The state has dictated exactly what the Pope can and cannot do. You know what Peter did when the Roman Empire tried to command that kind of authority it had over him? He died on a cross, and the same authority that Christ held on the cross was the authority he held over his brothers and sisters, who would take the obedience he held unto death and look to Christ and know that Peter was the one with authority in his crucifixion and not Rome, for Peter has declared in his crucifixion that Jesus is "the Christ, the Son of God." You see Peter's confession of Christ was only made true in his willingness to die with Christ (because you will find that in the following passage Peter is very ignorant about what he himself had said). It is not until he is willing to go the way of death with Christ that confession will be true and that his action on earth will be bound in Heaven.

Later on in Matthew Jesus makes this statement about binding and loosing once again and says it unto all of the disciples. And here the authority is found not in the individual (Peter) but in the gathering. "Again I say to you that if two of you agree on earth about anything you ask it will be done for you by my Father in Heaven. For where two or three gather in my name I am there with them." The Pope is not the locus of God's action in the world, but only where there are people gathered in Christ's name. Now I am not trying to deny the Pope's authority over those who gather with him, but to say that the Pope has authority over an invisible "world-wide" church, a mystical body of Christ, that is where I have problems. Because the gathering cannot and should not be made invisible (unless you want to give in to the state). For the Catholics it is almost as if the gathering has become simply a sign of an inward reality (kind of like the Eucharist has become for us protestant evangelicals), and not important as a real practice. The gathering isn't important in itself, but becomes a sign of the individual Christian's participation and membership to an invisible body known as the "Body of Christ," yet no one gathers for it. What becomes more important is the magic performed on the stage (which one cannot participate in fully).

You are right in hearing the return to catholicity in the evangelical movement in what I am saying (though I don't know if it can be stated in such an all-inclusive way as you have put it, for I don't think that all people in the movement of evangelicals would see themselves as moving towards catholicity, Pat Robertson, for example). I am not trying to move to the present Catholic Church, but I am trying to remember the life of the church in its early years, thus finding myself in unity with the current Catholic tradition, even though I do not blindly follow everything the Catholic Church says. I cannot cease to be a member of the church, as long as Baptism is not something that a priest does, but is what God proclaims about me. Even in the Roman Catholic Church, baptism must be recognized if it is done by a Christian in the name of the Father and in the name of the Son and in the name of the Holy Ghost, and in water. That is because the church does not control baptism, but is called to baptize (every member of the church has that calling, though it is not recommended that all go out and start baptizing left and right). Now you can try to say that I was baptized by an infidel, but I know the one who baptized me, and his life is dedicated to the service of Christ. Even Jesus' disciples were faced with this question when they found others performing miracles in Christ's name, who were not a part of them, and Christ told them, "whoever is not against us is for us." So I am a baptized Christian, a member of a gathering of people who gather in the name of Christ, and I have not forsaken that.

Now the question is whether you are willing to accept that or not. Do you agree with Christ that "whoever is not against us is for us"? If you do, then to call me an infidel, and to tell me to stop is in direct violation of what Christ has said. We are not fighting one another; we are just not seeing the same cause that unites us. I follow Christ and you follow Christ and we are one in as much as we are willing to be one, living in the peace of Christ that he has given to us in his very example. When I say "peace" I mean it. It's not just a filler word.

Peace be unto you from our Lord, Jesus Christ,
Michael

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
here's the key

here's the key

Peter was given the keys to the kingdom and that is where his authority ends. The pope does not and should not have any authority over the state. He does exert a moral influence as has been demonstrated and that is good. To get to heaven we need only listen to what the pope says because even if he is wrong and he can be, what he says will be honored in heaven and that’s the way it is.

seekinganswers

chrysostom said:
Peter was given the keys to the kingdom and that is where his authority ends. The pope does not and should not have any authority over the state. He does exert a moral influence as has been demonstrated and that is good. To get to heaven we need only listen to what the pope says because even if he is wrong and he can be, what he says will be honored in heaven and that’s the way it is.

Then why did Peter go to his death on the cross? I'm not saying that the pope should control the coercive forces of the state, but that the pope rules by a power that is much more powerful than the coersion used by the state. The state controls the bodies of its members through violence. "We have the power to take your life!" is what rulers say to their subordinates. Because the state has the power to take life, it thinks it has "real" power. But the power of God is not what the state tries to enforce in its members, and, in fact, the power of the state is completely undermined in Christ, for God raises the dead.

Peter's power in gaining the keys of Heaven was very much wrapped up in his confession of Jesus as the "Christ, the Son of God" in the same way that the church has its power in its confession of Jesus as the Christ (those who gather in his name). Peter does not have the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven if he does not live as a subject of the Kingdom of God. The Kingdom of God is an established reign of God, under the lordship of Christ, lived out among the members of the real Body of Christ, i.e. the church. So when Peter denies Christ's death, that Jesus must go to the cross, Peter is the adversary of Christ (Satan) not his fellow coworker in the Kingdom. Peter does not gain the power the Kingdom until he goes to his death on a cross, and then he gains the power of the witness, the testimony to Christ, which empowers the church to live faithfully in the midst of a world that would like to destroy the church.

We currently live (and have always lived) in a world that is trying to destroy the church, because the world wants to relegate the church entirely to an invisible realm found within the individual, and will not submit to the reign of Christ on the Earth. You do realize that your model for the pope's infuence over the members of the church is a very recent occurance in the Catholic Church under the model of New Christendom? This was the attempt by the Catholic Church to deal with the rise of the secular fascist, communist, and democratic nation-states in Europe. Instead of separating the church from the coersive powers of the state and allowing it to survive in Europe, however, it disembodied the church altogether so that the church was no longer a body that stood in witness to Christ and that resisted the coersive powers of the state, but was instead a helpless invisible union (kinda like a club) that could do nothing but stand back and watch as the state individuated and totured its members into submission in the state (look at Chile under Pinochet, and you will find how effective your model of the pope is). The church as an invisible body is helpless. That is why we have no power to bind or loose things until we come together in the name of Christ, visible in this world. The martyrs are our witnesses to Christ, and they empower us to live faithfully to Christ in this world. Bonhoeffer is a good martyr in this respect, because of what he does in the church in Germany during WWII while his contemporaries speak out but flee in the face of Hitler. Bonhoeffer stays, so that his critique of the church stands firm and he can lead the members of the church in faithfulness to Christ even in the face of such drastic evil.

This is the church, and it is in the line of Peter, who in wanting to witness to Christ faithfully, is willing to hand himself over to death, so that the members of the church will be empowered to live faithfully in the midst of an idolatrous world.

Peace,
Michael

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
chrysostom-
The Pope was never given authority by God. And, actually, Peter wasn't given the type of authority you seem to think he was. He was not made to be head of the church. Christ is the Rock on which the church was built, for Christ is the Truth, and Truth is the foundation. When Christ called Peter a rock, He used the word "petros," which is the Greek word for pebble. Then, He said He would build His church upon the "petra," which means boulder, and it also means Truth. Jesus was speaking of the Truth, which is what, as I said, the church is built on. And, by the way, Peter was married. If Peter was the first Pope, why are Popes, and Priests, and Nuns not supposed to be married?

Charity

I refuse to worship the Pope
But will gather in the name of Christ.

Hi lighthouse here's that t I owe you

charity

seekinganswers

Lighthouse said:
chrysostom-
The Pope was never given authority by God. And, actually, Peter wasn't given the type of authority you seem to think he was. He was not made to be head of the church. Christ is the Rock on which the church was built, for Christ is the Truth, and Truth is the foundation. When Christ called Peter a rock, He used the word "petros," which is the Greek word for pebble. Then, He said He would build His church upon the "petra," which means boulder, and it also means Truth. Jesus was speaking of the Truth, which is what, as I said, the church is built on. And, by the way, Peter was married. If Peter was the first Pope, why are Popes, and Priests, and Nuns not supposed to be married?

You, Lighthouse, have no idea what you're talking about. Petras in my Analytical Greek Lexicon does not at all mean truth. It has two distinct uses in the New Testament, as foundation stone or as a piece of a stone. Peter's name does not mean pebble, but is a proper name quite common in the first century Rome, and it is a word distinctly related to the word petras. Their root is very much the same. To make a distinction like you do is absurd. Petros means stone and petras is a stone that is part of a foundation, or cornerstone. A stone can be part of the foundation and still be called a stone. Paul himself talks about the foundation of the church being the apostles and prophets with Christ as the cheif cornerstone. Peter is at the foundation whether you like it or not.

As far as Peter being succeeded by single successors, this is a no-brainer. Apostolic succession cannot come by birth. That would be absurd (like the succession of kings!). So the appointing of Bishops and Priests and Nuns has nothing to do with whether they are the blood relative of the previous so-and-so. Even protestant denominations understand the appointing of leaders in this way. The one who follows leadership must pay heed to his or her successor in some way. They are not simply placed there to forget everything that came before (although sometimes I wonder in evangelical circles). The one who comes after will somehow continue in the glory or infamy of the one who came before, and will have to build off of that foundation (and if one does not lead in this way, they will be very poor leaders).

And now for my critique of my own tradition: why is it that pastors must be married? It is the bane of my existance as I pursuit ordination. People assume I'm getting married. My former pastor's wife asked me when I was going Seminar whether I had a wife lined up or not. It is sickening to me and wrong, because it appears that single men in the church are relegated to youth ministry until they get married (or even while their married) until they work their way up to senior pastor. And there are many other things I could critique of my own tradition, but I will save those for now, seeing how I was simply responding in kind to your absurd question about Catholic leaders being single.

Peace,
Michael

Charity

seekinganswers said:
You, Lighthouse, have no idea what you're talking about. [
seekinganswers great interesting posts you have.

But Dats wayyyyy to angry !!!!!!!!

charity

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
thanks

thanks

I hereby give thanks that I have Michael to fight by battles. I will sit back and relax and watch.

Charity

chrysostom said:
To get to heaven we need only listen to what the pope says because even if he is wrong and he can be, what he says will be honored in heaven and that’s the way it is.

sorry Dats bad bad bad !!!!!!
I prefer to follow christ to get to heaven.
Thanks anyway

Charity

chrysostom said:
How do you follow Christ?
Come as you are!
The basic start is
Worship is to give attention to
Stop doing evil ( evil is revenge, defending ourselves,
starts in the heart so there you find it before it bears fruit.
Each time you resist temptation to revenge you die day by day
understanding is to depart from evil .
Doing this you become a peace maker, at a cost (carring your cross)

charity

Charity

chrysostom said:
Ok but do we have to suffer?
Parable of the seeds
Some are excited and start there walk and soon the suffering gets to much and they turn back
But if you keep going your suffering becomes rejoicing when we see the changes inside,
we can change the out side but it is only the power of God that can change the inside
So therfore I rejoice in your suffering for i know what is coming after

charity

Status
Not open for further replies.