ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

scparmy

Yes. NT and OT used two different languages. And you are focusing too much one one word. An idiom takes a words standard meaning and completely distorts it. I could give you a million examples of how we use hate in english and the context of every sentence will change which definition we rely on. But in an idiom we throw out conventional meaning all together.

If I say I am going to make up a test, do you really think I am using the word "make" in its standard forms? No.

Concordances are nice. But you must rely on context to understand individual words more than convention. There is a lot of use of the word "hate" and "love" in the entire Bible, enough to know that God doesn't hate children.

And when God, through Paul said Jacob have I loved and Esau have I hated, He was not implying that He hated children. He was saying that He hated Esau for He knew (foreknowledge) Esau was go be a wicked nation. The Edomites were wicked, the Idumeans, also wicked, and both descended from Esau. And I did not imply that God hated all children, only Esau.

I know what an Idiom means, but the verse we are referring to is not an Idiom, it is literal.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
So when did God know us? When we were born? What is Hezekiah 3:16

Psalm 139 is present knowledge. God knew us from conception since that is when we became a certain object of knowledge. To know a nothing is a bald contradiction. We were a nothing trillions of years ago, so not a possible object of certain knowledge, even for an omniscient being who knows reality as it is. In your view, we are actually co-eternal with God?

Hezekiah is an attempt at humor. It does not exist.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
How do you reconcile this:
Romans 8:29

For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the first-born among many brethren.

When did God foreknow us? Yesterday, Today, or Tomorrow. I say in eternity past.

This is talking about the corporate church, not individuals before they exist. TULIP is not true nor is 'eternal now'. When individuals believe and become part of the corporate church, then they are known, not in eternity past. The future is not fatalistically fixed, except in Islam and Calvinism.

patman

And when God, through Paul said Jacob have I loved and Esau have I hated, He was not implying that He hated children. He was saying that He hated Esau for He knew (foreknowledge) Esau was go be a wicked nation. The Edomites were wicked, the Idumeans, also wicked, and both descended from Esau. And I did not imply that God hated all children, only Esau.

I know what an Idiom means, but the verse we are referring to is not an Idiom, it is literal.

Scparmy, do you think Israel is a holy nation in God's eyes? I recall Jesus said had he came to any other nation, even Sodom, that they would have been more willing to listen to him than Israel.

They killed God's prophets, they made idols, they sacrificed children to false Gods, they mocked God and they killed Christ. Is this righteous in your eyes?

They are God's chosen people, but not on merit. Instead, by grace they will saved, not reputation.

God choose Jacob because he just wanted to. It had nothing to do with foresight... for if it did, God would have foresaw how evil they would be.

Last edited:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Jesus said to 'hate' our parents, while other verses in the same Word of God say to love them. Wooden literalism interpretation is not the way to go on this point (unless God's Word is fallible or Jesus is a liar).

scparmy

Sorry it took so long to get this posted. I had all your questions answered and accidentally closed the window and had to redo the entire post. Hope you never experience that for yourself. But it is iron sharpening iron.

That isn't good enough. We are not discussing the trinity. I took your "Trinity" plea as an excuse to go on whatever you want. If it was a concession, you should also concede that we are not in the wrong from our beliefs.

Not sure I understand what you mean by: “that we are not wrong from out beliefs”. Please explain and I will address when you do.

What verse defines omnipotent? If not verse, what chapter?

Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
Gen 19:24 Then the LORD rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the LORD out of heaven;
Gen 7:12 And the rain was upon the earth forty days and forty nights
Isaiah 14:12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
These passages speak of God’s Omnipotence.

What verse or chapter defines omniscient?

Gen 21:2 For Sarah conceived, and bare Abraham a son in his old age, at the set time of which God had spoken to him.
Gen 15:13 And he said unto Abram, Know of a surety that thy seed shall be a stranger in a land that is not theirs, and shall serve them; and they shall afflict them four hundred years;
Therefore the Lord himself will give you [a] a sign: The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and [b] will call him Immanuel.
Micah 5:2 But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.
Psalm 41:9 Yea, mine own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, which did eat of my bread, hath lifted up his heel against me.
Mark 12:36 For David himself said by the Holy Ghost, The LORD said to my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool.
The verses are primarily prophecy. They speak to God’s omniscience. Only He could know those things.

What verse or chapter defines omnipresent?

Psalm 139:8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.
Acts 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
Romans 5:5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
Romans 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
I Cor 2:12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
Romans 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his
Speaks of God being everywhere.

What verse or chapter defines immutable?

Hebrews 6:18 That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:
Trinity verses:
1 John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one
Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

If God is truly immutable, how do you explain that he changed his mind about man from Gen 1 to Gen 6?

God’s immutability has nothing to do with up, down, left, right, north, south, or changing His mind. It speaks of His character and His Eternal attributes. God can not lie, steal, cheat, impugn Himself, worship Idols, or covet. Does that make sense?

How can God feel pain if he can't change? How can God say man is good, but he is evil if he never changes his mind (especially if he is outside of time)? These are contradictions.

They are only contradictions if you do not understand what immutable means. And you are absolutely right, God is not a contradiction.

scparmy

Psalm 139 is present knowledge. God knew us from conception since that is when we became a certain object of knowledge. To know a nothing is a bald contradiction. We were a nothing trillions of years ago, so not a possible object of certain knowledge, even for an omniscient being who knows reality as it is. In your view, we are actually co-eternal with God?

Hezekiah is an attempt at humor. It does not exist.

Godrulz, totally disagree with you. you are limiting God by saying or believing He has no prior knowledge of events or people. In my view, we are not co-eternal with God. God knew us in eternity past, He knew Godrulz would be born, when I would be born and everything thing we would do. If not, He could not be God. Hence, the reason I say He is Omnipotent, Omnipresent, Omniscient.

By the way, I answered Patman on those very attributes of God.

scparmy

This is talking about the corporate church, not individuals before they exist. TULIP is not true nor is 'eternal now'. When individuals believe and become part of the corporate church, then they are known, not in eternity past. The future is not fatalistically fixed, except in Islam and Calvinism.

How do you get the corporate church out of that? He is talking about individual people and their calling. Disagree again. And you do not have to mention calvanistic doctrines to me, i totally disagree with that man made doctrine. I happen to be a dispensationalist.:angel:
Who alluded to the future being fatalistically fixed? Although God knows how it will end.

scparmy

Scparmy, do you think Israel is a holy nation in God's eyes? I recall Jesus said had he came to any other nation, even Sodom, that they would have been more willing to listen to him than Israel.
They are God's chosen people. For several reasons. They were to be a witness for God to all nations, Jesus Christ was to be revealed through them. They received the oracles of God. The scriptures, i believe, say they are a Holy Nation.

They killed God's prophets, they made idols, they sacrificed children to false Gods, they mocked God and they killed Christ. Is this righteous in your eyes?
Patman are you playing stump the chump with me? Righteous, get serious. No they are not righteous. Everything they do, we as a nation, are guilty of too.

God choose Jacob because he just wanted to. It had nothing to do with foresight... for if it did, God would have foresaw how evil they would be.
You seem to be forgetting that God has a plan and a purpose for all that He does and allows. Do you believe God would have sent Jesus Christ to save just one sinner? Whether you agree or disagree with what i am about to say, pleas listen. God knowing everything that would occur with His creation from eternity past knew that man would fall. Yet, He knew (by foreknowledged) that Patman, Godrulz, Scparmy would accept by faith His Son Jesus Christ when the gospel would be presented to them. Because of that He has allowed all of human history, as terrible as it is, to occur so that you and I could be born and so that we could hear the gospel and be saved. All of this is about God wanting creatures to be "willing" love Him and to love Him just enough (willigness) so that He could take care of the rest. And He wanted it so much that He has allowed history as we know it to continue in the process of time, and until the fullness of time happens. Which I take to be the saving of the last soul that would be willing to know Him. All the other small details that you and I and others debate really makes not one iota of difference in the end. God could have created Adam and Eve and the rest of mankind to love him, but without some way of testing the true desires of their heart, would they have loved Him in the sense i described above? No, they would have had an excuse for saying they loved Him. I did not choose to love Him he made me do it. As it stands now, you and I and everyone (with exceptions) will be presented with the gospel, and will ultimately have to make a choice about whether or not We believe what God has told us. He doesn't even say we have to understand it, we just have to be willing to believe Him. And on that basis, if we are willing, He does everything else. He even provides the faith we need to believe His Word, He provides the Grace, He saves us, gives us the earnest (the Holy Spirit), gives us eternal life, and takes care of the growth process which happens up until we physically die, and then will one day reunite our spirit and soul with our body to complete our Salvation. Apologize for the length, but i think it is necessary to explain this since many people do not fully appreciate what God has done and why He allows evil and wickedness to occur. He has a plan and a purpose, although we might not understand it or know it.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Godrulz, totally disagree with you. you are limiting God by saying or believing He has no prior knowledge of events or people. In my view, we are not co-eternal with God. God knew us in eternity past, He knew Godrulz would be born, when I would be born and everything thing we would do. If not, He could not be God. Hence, the reason I say He is Omnipotent, Omnipresent, Omniscient.

By the way, I answered Patman on those very attributes of God.

This is total circular reasoning, begging the question, assuming what you are trying to prove. Open Theism critics make the same mistake by assuming a traditional view of God and then saying He would not be God if we redefine tradition that is not necessarily true.

Just because God has chosen to not control or know every aspect of the future does not make Him limited or not God. The issue is the type of creation He actualized (non-deterministic), not whether He knows all that is logically knowable (He does, hence He is omniscient).

Strong immutability is Platonic philosophy whereas weak immutability is biblical (He changes in some ways, but not in other ways).

There are many dispensational views. Which is yours?

Can I assume you are Arminian (simple foreknowledge)?

patman

They are God's chosen people. For several reasons. They were to be a witness for God to all nations, Jesus Christ was to be revealed through them. They received the oracles of God. The scriptures, i believe, say they are a Holy Nation.

Patman are you playing stump the chump with me? Righteous, get serious. No they are not righteous. Everything they do, we as a nation, are guilty of too.

You seem to be forgetting that God has a plan and a purpose for all that He does and allows. Do you believe God would have sent Jesus Christ to save just one sinner? Whether you agree or disagree with what i am about to say, pleas listen. God knowing everything that would occur with His creation from eternity past knew that man would fall. Yet, He knew (by foreknowledged) that Patman, Godrulz, Scparmy would accept by faith His Son Jesus Christ when the gospel would be presented to them. Because of that He has allowed all of human history, as terrible as it is, to occur so that you and I could be born and so that we could hear the gospel and be saved. All of this is about God wanting creatures to be "willing" love Him and to love Him just enough (willigness) so that He could take care of the rest. And He wanted it so much that He has allowed history as we know it to continue in the process of time, and until the fullness of time happens. Which I take to be the saving of the last soul that would be willing to know Him. All the other small details that you and I and others debate really makes not one iota of difference in the end. God could have created Adam and Eve and the rest of mankind to love him, but without some way of testing the true desires of their heart, would they have loved Him in the sense i described above? No, they would have had an excuse for saying they loved Him. I did not choose to love Him he made me do it. As it stands now, you and I and everyone (with exceptions) will be presented with the gospel, and will ultimately have to make a choice about whether or not We believe what God has told us. He doesn't even say we have to understand it, we just have to be willing to believe Him. And on that basis, if we are willing, He does everything else. He even provides the faith we need to believe His Word, He provides the Grace, He saves us, gives us the earnest (the Holy Spirit), gives us eternal life, and takes care of the growth process which happens up until we physically die, and then will one day reunite our spirit and soul with our body to complete our Salvation. Apologize for the length, but i think it is necessary to explain this since many people do not fully appreciate what God has done and why He allows evil and wickedness to occur. He has a plan and a purpose, although we might not understand it or know it.

Scparmy,

Thanks for taking the time post all that you have. I appreciate your efforts. But think objectively. Pretend you are me. Would what you say compel someone like me? I realize you know very little about me, but what you do know should be enough so you know the answer.

All this is very new to you. So please keep that in mind. This discussion goes back a few years. We have been over a lot, yet I still keep my views. So whatever you do to change my mind is going to have to be very compelling and consistent.

I won't play games with you when it comes to asking you to seriously take a look at my point of view.

I have studied the bible for most of my life. I have come a long way, replacing old ideas with new. I have found many mainstream ideas to be untrue despite their popularity. So I have grown very cautious of what information I will consider fact and true.

I use Open Theism as a witnessing tool to non believers and atheists. It is very effective. It explains many problems they have with Scripture. It is a great way to weed the garden before you go to plant your seeds of faith. Why? Because it makes so much sense.

What you just said is very confusing. Forgive the blunt words, but it is true. Take this for example:
"All of this is about God wanting creatures to be "willing" love Him and to love Him just enough (willigness) so that He could take care of the rest."

now contrast that to this:
"I did not choose to love Him he made me do it."

You are saying he made you do it but he wants you to be willing? If you will something you do it because you want to not because you are made to. Non believers everywhere would wonder about this and think Christianity is not for them if you present it in such a confusing way.

You also asked "God could have created Adam and Eve and the rest of mankind to love him, but without some way of testing the true desires of their heart, would they have loved Him in the sense i described above?" But I ask what does it matter if God makes you love him in the end anyway?

Please realize it is your ideas I am questioning, not God.

You said, "Because of that He has allowed all of human history, as terrible as it is, to occur so that you and I could be born and so that we could hear the gospel and be saved, " but you say in the end he makes us chose him, have faith, get saved, etc,. So if God was going to make all this happen anyway, what use is freewill? Why go through all this if we are being made to be what he wants? Couldn't he just do all that the first time? I think he could. If God wanted to control everything, I think he would make us all holy. But you seem to think God is controlling everything and making us all sinners.

It just doesn't make any sense. And that is one reason I reject much of what you said. But more so, none of what you said is in scripture. I know you think it is, but I assure you that you have misunderstood it. Either someone told you how to read scripture, or you half read it, not fully grasping what was happening.

You are unaware that there are unfulfilled prophecies. Gen 15:13 is not an example of fulfilled prophecy. Israel was not slaves/afflicted for 400 years. It was more like 250 tops. The entire time they were in Egypt was 350, tops. The whole time they were out of the promise land was 430 years. None of these agree with the "400" year prophecy.

You are also not sure of what the word "immutable" means. It means not changing, ever. God can't be happy one minute and sad the next if he is immutable. God can't think creation is good one minute and then evil the next if he is immutable. If God is immutable, that means either Gen 1 is wrong, or Gen 6 is wrong. Which one do you pick to be wrong? Do you think both are right? How can we be good and evil all at the same time? Is God still sorry he made man? He must be if he can never change his mind.

None of your proof verses proved anything. You make the typical mistake. You see something happening one time in scripture and assume it happens all the time. You see one prophecy be fulfilled and you think they all are... so you assume God knows the future. All based on assumptions, my friend.

I hope you will reconsider your views. This theology makes a great witnessing aid, and I think you're earthly ministry will benefit from it.

patman

One more thing. I wanted to address this, too.

If we are as bad as Israel, why were Esau's decedents so unworthy? I think you are missing this point. Your explanation about why God hated Esau makes no sense. If they are as bad as we are, and we are sinners like Esau's descendants, then why doesn't God hate all of us?

Israel is "holy" in that they are set aside, but they are not pure. They are just as wicked if not more than any other nation. Why? Because God gave them the law and it found them guilty. (Just so I don't sound like an anti-Semite, let me add that today there is no "Israel" as we are all the same under grace. I speak only to their biblical history.)

So how can what you say be true? They aren't any better than anyone else. God didn't hate Esau. He didn't look into the future and say "Oh, they are slightly worst, lets go with the lesser of the evils." You are making it up.

If Jacob was Israel and Esau was Gentiles, God would have given Esau the greatest gift of all.. grace. That is what I call LOVE, not hate.

scparmy

Scparmy,

Thanks for taking the time post all that you have. I appreciate your efforts. But think objectively. Pretend you are me. Would what you say compel someone like me? I realize you know very little about me, but what you do know should be enough so you know the answer.

All this is very new to you. So please keep that in mind. This discussion goes back a few years. We have been over a lot, yet I still keep my views. So whatever you do to change my mind is going to have to be very compelling and consistent.

I won't play games with you when it comes to asking you to seriously take a look at my point of view.

I have studied the bible for most of my life. I have come a long way, replacing old ideas with new. I have found many mainstream ideas to be untrue despite their popularity. So I have grown very cautious of what information I will consider fact and true.

I use Open Theism as a witnessing tool to non believers and atheists. It is very effective. It explains many problems they have with Scripture. It is a great way to weed the garden before you go to plant your seeds of faith. Why? Because it makes so much sense.

What you just said is very confusing. Forgive the blunt words, but it is true. Take this for example:
"All of this is about God wanting creatures to be "willing" love Him and to love Him just enough (willigness) so that He could take care of the rest."

Here is what i said in context: God could have created Adam and Eve and the rest of mankind to love him, but without some way of testing the true desires of their heart, would they have loved Him in the sense i described above? No, they would have had an excuse for saying they loved Him. I did not choose to love Him he made me do it.

I was saying that if God had created them to love Him, then Adam and Eve would have been able to say that God made me love, Him I did not do it on my own. In other words, they could have blamed God. The statements are not contradictory. I might have not gotten the point across well enough.

You are saying he made you do it but he wants you to be willing? If you will something you do it because you want to not because you are made to. Non believers everywhere would wonder about this and think Christianity is not for them if you present it in such a confusing way.
This might be confusing to you, but clearly not confusing to everyone who reads it. Besides, I would never use anything outside of scripture for witnessing. And I was not witnessing to you. No one will get save by anything outside of the word of God, you know that.

You also asked "God could have created Adam and Eve and the rest of mankind to love him, but without some way of testing the true desires of their heart, would they have loved Him in the sense i described above?" But I ask what does it matter if God makes you love him in the end anyway?
I never said He makes you love Him, I said he provides all the necessary tools for you ones Salvation. A misquote on your part.

You said, "Because of that He has allowed all of human history, as terrible as it is, to occur so that you and I could be born and so that we could hear the gospel and be saved, " but you say in the end he makes us chose him, have faith, get saved, etc,. So if God was going to make all this happen anyway, what use is freewill? Why go through all this if we are being made to be what he wants? Couldn't he just do all that the first time? I think he could. If God wanted to control everything, I think he would make us all holy. But you seem to think God is controlling everything and making us all sinners.
Reread my post, i did not say God makes us do anything. And it has everything to do with freewill. God allows the ability to choose, freewill.

It just doesn't make any sense. And that is one reason I reject much of what you said. But more so, none of what you said is in scripture. I know you think it is, but I assure you that you have misunderstood it. Either someone told you how to read scripture, or you half read it, not fully grasping what was happening.
The idea that God loves us so much that He sent His Son to die for us, is not a theme in scripture? You might not agree with what i said, but the theme is prevalent is scripture.

You are unaware that there are unfulfilled prophecies. Gen 15:13 is not an example of fulfilled prophecy. Israel was not slaves/afflicted for 400 years. It was more like 250 tops. The entire time they were in Egypt was 350, tops. The whole time they were out of the promise land was 430 years. None of these agree with the "400" year prophecy.
Indeed, there is future prophecy. I have never heard the 250, 350 numbers before. The 400 and 430, if I remember correctly had to do with God saying the time of Amalakites was not yet full or something like that? But there is not inconsistency with the two dates.

You are also not sure of what the word "immutable" means. It means not changing, ever. God can't be happy one minute and sad the next if he is immutable. God can't think creation is good one minute and then evil the next if he is immutable. If God is immutable, that means either Gen 1 is wrong, or Gen 6 is wrong. Which one do you pick to be wrong? Do you think both are right? How can we be good and evil all at the same time? Is God still sorry he made man? He must be if he can never change his mind.
Obviously we will not agree when our definitions are not consistent. I hold to what i wrote in the other post.

None of your proof verses proved anything. You make the typical mistake. You see something happening one time in scripture and assume it happens all the time. You see one prophecy be fulfilled and you think they all are... so you assume God knows the future. All based on assumptions, my friend.
Because you don't want them to. They are very clear verses that speak to God's attributes.

I hope you will reconsider your views. This theology makes a great witnessing aid, and I think you're earthly ministry will benefit from it.
I doubt i will, not based on anything we've discussed. I know nothing about being an Open Theist so I wont attempt to comment on it. Any system that denies the attributes of God would never settle well with me and scripture.

Thanks for the comments.

patman

I doubt i will, not based on anything we've discussed. I know nothing about being an Open Theist so I wont attempt to comment on it. Any system that denies the attributes of God would never settle well with me and scripture.

Thanks for the comments.

Scparmy, I thought you conceded those attributes were not found in scripture. I know you think that scripture defines it, but I have already shown you a few areas of misunderstanding you have.

There is a lot you don't know here. What do you think about the unfulfilled prophecy point I made? What about your misunderstanding of immutability.

Both are points made directly from Genesis. If the very first book of the bible kicks off like this, imagine what the rest must say.

Anyway, maybe we are totally misunderstanding each other... but even after you cleared some things up, I still think you are contradicting yourself. You did say God makes you love him. But anyway, lets move on. Please consider the two points I made and we can move on to other things.

scparmy

Scparmy,

One more thing. I wanted to address this, too.

If we are as bad as Israel, why were Esau's decedents so unworthy? I think you are missing this point. Your explanation about why God hated Esau makes no sense. If they are as bad as we are, and we are sinners like Esau's descendants, then why doesn't God hate all of us?

Patman, I am beginning to see a theme with you. No matter what explanation you get, it will never meet you expectations. And nothing ever seems to make sense either. It doesn't matter what you think, if it is the truth. We have done a lot of me explaining my position, even had to provide a scriptural basis. Your turn. Your explanation for why God hated Esau was clearly not scriptural and I disagree with it.

Israel is "holy" in that they are set aside, but they are not pure. They are just as wicked if not more than any other nation. Why? Because God gave them the law and it found them guilty. (Just so I don't sound like an anti-Semite, let me add that today there is no "Israel" as we are all the same under grace. I speak only to their biblical history.)

To be set aside is consecrated, not holy. And who said anything about Israel being pure. By God's law we are all guilty. And that is not the only reason they were wicked. They were wicked because of the condition of their heart. Just like you, me and everyone else before being born again. And again I disagree with you on there being no Israel. God deals with us in two ways. As individuals, and as nations. And scripture is replete with both. In your many years of study, you surely know this. You are right in saying that are all under grace. But God still has a special place for the Nation of Israel, and it will unfold in the process of time. I can see there is a large departure in how and what we believe, especially since you've told me you are an Open Theist. I don't know the prevailing tenets of Open Theism, but they are largely different from what i will call biblical theology.

So how can what you say be true? They aren't any better than anyone else. God didn't hate Esau. He didn't look into the future and say "Oh, they are slightly worst, lets go with the lesser of the evils." You are making it up.

No, just don't agree. And you don't have to.

This is off topic, just curious: What type of church do you attend?

If Jacob was Israel and Esau was Gentiles, God would have given Esau the greatest gift of all.. grace. That is what I call LOVE, not hate.

Jacob is Israel, literally. Never said Esau was the Gentiles. And if it weren't for God's grace, no of us would have been saved?

Please explain to my why the passages I provided were not sufficient to show Gods attributes.

Why God isn't Omnipresent?

Why God isn't Omnipotent?

Why God isn't Omniscient?

Why God isn't Immutable?

Book, chapter or verse is sufficient?

scparmy

Scparmy, I thought you conceded those attributes were not found in scripture. I know you think that scripture defines it, but I have already shown you a few areas of misunderstanding you have.

There is a lot you don't know here. What do you think about the unfulfilled prophecy point I made? What about your misunderstanding of immutability.

Both are points made directly from Genesis. If the very first book of the bible kicks off like this, imagine what the rest must say.

Anyway, maybe we are totally misunderstanding each other... but even after you cleared some things up, I still think you are contradicting yourself. You did say God makes you love him. But anyway, lets move on. Please consider the two points I made and we can move on to other things.

Patman,

I responded to your last post already. Disregard if you like, based on your saying we should move on.

scparmy

This is total circular reasoning, begging the question, assuming what you are trying to prove. Open Theism critics make the same mistake by assuming a traditional view of God and then saying He would not be God if we redefine tradition that is not necessarily true.

Just because God has chosen to not control or know every aspect of the future does not make Him limited or not God. The issue is the type of creation He actualized (non-deterministic), not whether He knows all that is logically knowable (He does, hence He is omniscient).
You say something that is very unique, and most will not catch it. God, at times may not know things, by His own admission. When Jesus says, talking about His return, that no man knows the day nor the hour, only the Father. Jesus Christ does not know, and if He is God why doesn't He know? I think scripture is clear in teaching that in Christ's humanity, as a man, He was limited. Don't take that to mean in His Deity he did not know. The scriptures say the Jesus grew in the things of God, He had to be baptized with the Holy Ghost before He could begin His ministry. Agreed, there are times when God (Jesus Christ) does not know. Again you mention an interesting point by pointing that out.

Strong immutability is Platonic philosophy whereas weak immutability is biblical (He changes in some ways, but not in other ways).
Immutability has to do with God's character, who He is, and what He is. It does not imply that God does not change His emotions, or can not change direction. Would you not agree with that?

There are many dispensational views. Which is yours?
Traditional, of course. Although I do not agree or adhere to all aspects of its teachings. I clearly believe the position and distinction made between National Israel and the Church and how future events will unfold. I suppose Dispensationalism is for another post.

Can I assume you are Arminian (simple foreknowledge)?
No, please don't. As I told Patman in another post, and perhaps you as well. I am not familiar with Open Theism. And I will sound like an idiot for saying this, I just realized in the true sense of the word that I am responding in a forum that is titled "Open Theism". I just made the connection. Should I even be here?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
If you are not Calvinistic, Arminian, or Open Theists, what are you?

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44292

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36231

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27400

The classical view of immutability is absolute, not just unchanging character (which I believe). This is why impassibility is also stated with strong immutability. Thankfully, even classical theists are starting to see that weak immutability (changes in some ways, but not in other ways) and passibility is more biblical (God's emotions, experiences, relations, thinking, etc. changes).

Dispensational is not a broad answer since there are many dispy views and one can be dispy and Arminian or OT (Calvinists tend to be Covenantal, but some are dispy).

scparmy

If you are not Calvinistic, Arminian, or Open Theists, what are you?

I told you dispensationalist. I disagree with Calvinism, Arminianism, and OT theology. Although there are points of each that I might agree with and i am sure I do, I'll not be labeled any of those. I disagree on their major doctrines.

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44292

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36231

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27400

The classical view of immutability is absolute, not just unchanging character (which I believe). This is why impassibility is also stated with strong immutability. Thankfully, even classical theists are starting to see that weak immutability (changes in some ways, but not in other ways) and passibility is more biblical (God's emotions, experiences, relations, thinking, etc. changes).

Dispensational is not a broad answer since there are many dispy views and one can be dispy and Arminian or OT (Calvinists tend to be Covenantal, but some are dispy).
Traditional Dispensationalists are not Calvinistic or Armenian, even though there might be points of agreement. Calvinism, Armenism, OT are man made philosophy to state one's position biblically. I do not agree with the major tenets of either of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.