ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
God foreknowing doesn't mean the choices have been made and settled.
I grasp the basics of this issue & I reject the "logic" that's being used against EDF.

OK, It's the only way it makes sense to me, but I still think your an OK guy.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:D

How about:

0 distance = greater than speed of light x 0 time?

I think we can agree that physical science started with the physical universe. Which is completely different than saying God had no concept of sequence, before the physical universe.

SaulToPaul 2

I think we can agree that physical science started with the physical universe. Which is completely different than saying God had no concept of sequence, before the physical universe.

I'm not sure how there could be sequence if there was no duration.
Notice, I included "if". :D

Since all three factors of the equation exist now, how logical would it be to assume that perhaps only one factor (time) existed before creation?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Since all three factors of the equation exist now, how logical would it be to assume that perhaps only one factor (time) existed before creation?
Time existed as a concept, as soon as God considered it.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
It's illogical to believe that God knowing beforehand what I will freely choose
makes the choice no longer free.
Saying it doesn't make it so STP!

We've been showing you precisely how it is logical; how foreknowledge of a freely chosen act is a contradiction and cannot happen. Either the act was freely chosen or it was foreknown, not both.

I am disappointed that you are trying to bully me into accepting Open Theism with this "proof" which many people more scholarly than you & me believe is flawed.
Actually, if you'll recall, my primary argument has to do with how the Settled View renders concepts like love, righteousness and justice meaningless. You are the one who brought up this syllogism, I simply quoted it again so that everyone would know what you were referring too. The point being here that I'll take the argument in whatever direction you want to go with it.

And who cares what "more scholarly" people BELIEVE is flawed? If you can show me (i.e. if you can demonstrate) how it IS flawed or show me how others have demonstrated how it is flawed then that would be a perfectly valid way to respond to the syllogism and I wouldn't have to be so disappointed in you. But that isn't what you've done nor can you present to me where anyone else has done it either. All you've got is merely the proclamation that "It doesn't make sense!" and that simply doesn't fly. If you cannot explain WHY it doesn't make sense then you're just blowing hot air as far as I'm concerned.

Clete, are you more interested in winning arguments about Open Theism or
showing people the gospel and how to rightly divide the word of truth? Be honest.
This will sound to you like a pat answer but you asked me to answer honestly and so I will do just that. Seriously - If I were being sarcastic, you could tell, I promise!

In my mind, there is no difference between the two. The gospel is based on justice. God loved us so much that He sent Jesus to die as a sacrifice in order to meet the righteous requirement of His own righteous perfection. Thus the gospel has no meaning outside the context of love, righteousness and justice. These concepts have no meaning if we are not free and we cannot be free if the future is settled. In short if the future is settled, God is unjust and we are without hope.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
As the triune God existed before he created the Universe, was this equation
valid?:

distance = rate x time
A corollary to this question is...

Before the creation of the physical universe was there any such thing as speed (distance/time).

The concept of existence itself already concedes the existence of time (i.e. duration) but not necessarily that of distance.

I don't think we know enough about the nature of God's existence apart from the creation to know the answer to your question. Was there distance before there was a physical universe? I don't know.

Resting in Him,
Clete

godrulz

Hall of Fame

2+2=4 even before matter was created.

elected4ever

The question arises "Does God view time and distance the same as us?" The proper answer is, "I don't know." Man is limited by the observation of the created universe. God has never told us what the limitations of His existence are. Sense God is not the creation of man it is fool hardy to limit God to the created universe of man and man's understanding of it.

SaulToPaul 2

We've been showing you precisely how it is logical; how foreknowledge of a freely chosen act is a contradiction and cannot happen. Either the act was freely chosen or it was foreknown, not both.

In my mind, there is no difference between the two. The gospel is based on justice. God loved us so much that He sent Jesus to die as a sacrifice in order to meet the righteous requirement of His own righteous perfection. Thus the gospel has no meaning outside the context of love, righteousness and justice. These concepts have no meaning if we are not free and we cannot be free if the future is settled. In short if the future is settled, God is unjust and we are without hope.

Resting in Him,
Clete

All the syllogism proves is that what is foreknown is carried out.

I researched your last 40 or so posts, 99% were about Open theism and/or Spanking. How many people believed that Christ died for their sins by convincing
them that God doesn't know the future? How many people understood the difference between Israel and the Church by convincing them that God doesn't knoew the future?

Thanks.

Philetus

The question arises "Does God view time and distance the same as us?" The proper answer is, "I don't know." Man is limited by the observation of the created universe. God has never told us what the limitations of His existence are. Sense God is not the creation of man it is fool hardy to limit God to the created universe of man and man's understanding of it.

Hey, Elected4ever, Longtime no space.

The question arises "Does God view time and distance the same as us?" The best answer is, "YES, if God relates to us at all in time and space." BECAUSE man is NOT limited by the observation of the created universe; The Spirit of God dwells in man. Either God has created man with a capacity to know God or all this is a big waste of time and our existence is a joke.

Then is God 'fool hardy' to have become flesh in order to make Himself known 'in a more perfect way"? Is it 'fool hardy' for God to expect us to know Him at all? The incarnation most certainly informs us as to the fact that God has limited Himself in order to relate to His creation. The closer the intimation the greater is the limitation from “you are free to eat from any tree” (make choices) to “He could do no miracles among them.” The ultimate limitation (as I see it) is God coming near without destroying us altogether. The very fact of our existence means that God gave room or made space for us to exist as significant others. Do you consider God permitting others to exist as others and relating to them in freedom of both His and their existence fool-hardy?

Is God transcendent (independent of the world, existing outside the material universe and so not limited by it? Yes! But, transcendence viewed from within the created order means nothing. To understand God’s transcendence is to understand God drawing near, not remaining aloof.

Philetus

themuzicman

What God foreknew was realized when I made the choice.

You're ducking the question.

What you said ways that at the point of my decision, my decision is settled to God, and contingent to me. Either God is delusional, or we're deceived, because it cannot be both settled and contingent at the same time.

Which is it?

Muz

Status
Not open for further replies.