ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Does anyone read John 6:44, anymore?

Muz

There is more to the Bible than John 6:44, Michael. Important passages like Isaiah 6:9&10 and the several times that revelation is quoted in the N.T. Did you ever look into that Scripture like I asked?

Nang

lee_merrill

Does anyone read John 6:44, anymore?
So then there is reprobation, yes, I agree. Now how would you explain how God can know a remnant will be saved? Isn't repentance dependent on human choice, according to the Open View?

For some number of people being saved is part of "his sentence on earth," as is the fact that it will be only a remnant, and then after a time, "all Israel."

Blessings,
Lee

Last edited:

RobE

Molinism sees God's knowledge as comprising logical moments, placing God’s decision to create after the moment of God’s hypothetical knowledge.

In the Molinism schematic below, worlds that could be created are shown as ‘O’

Moment 1:
.... OzOzOzzzzzzzzzO zOzzzzOzzzzzzOzzzzzOzzzzzzO...
Natural Knowledge: God knows the range of possible worlds (what could be). The content of this knowledge is essential to God.

Moment 2: ...zzzzzzzzzzzOzOzzzzzzzzzOzOzzzzzzzzzzzO...
Middle Knowledge: God knows the range of feasible worlds (what would be). God’s [hypothetical] knowledge of what every possible free creature would do under any possible set of circumstances and, thus, knowledge of those possible worlds which God can make actual. The content of this knowledge is not essential to God.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Divine Creative Decree – God’s Free Decision to Create a World
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Moment 3:
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzO
Free Knowledge:
God knows the actual world (what will be). The content of this knowledge is not essential to God.

[Source: Adapted from Craig’s, The Only Wise God and What Does God Know?]

How do you respond to the “grounding objection” to Molinism?

Craig and others refer to the counterfactuals of creaturely freedom (CFs): Knowing what any possible agent would do in any possible circumstances, God can have complete providential control over the events that occur by knowing how the history of the world would go given any creative decision He might make about which circumstances to cause to be actual, and by then making that initial creative decision.

But, foreknowledge is grounded in something that actually happens, and it is the occurrence of that future event that sanctions the foreknowledge of it. On the other hand, whatever grounds the truth of counterfactuals of freedom is something other than an actually occurring event. The indeterminateness of counterfactual states of affairs in virtue of which counterfactuals of freedom are true is therefore of a wholly different order from the indeterminateness of future states of affairs in virtue of which future factuals of freedom are true. Though the latter are not yet determinate, they nevertheless will be.

Even granting that there are some CF’s with actual (true) antecedents whose truth might in principle be determined by actual agents it seems to be such that God could not know them prevolitionally, if He must directly perceive their grounds. For until God decides which agents and which circumstances to cause to be actual, there aren’t any actual decisions that God could in principle know as the grounds of these CF’s. Since middle knowledge is meant to be the aid by which God determines the actual world, and yet it seems as if He could not have this knowledge logically prior to determining the actuality of a particular possible world, “middle knowledge” seems both incorrectly described and unhelpful for providential creation decisions.

I believe that the Molinist view of providence should be rejected because there are good reasons to think that there are not any (and certainly not enough) true counterfactuals of freedom. According to Molinism, foreknowledge is nothing more than the causally impotent byproduct of God’s creative act of will.

Hey. I haven't been around for a week.

First: God's Natural Essential Knowledge is of what could be, would be, and will be. Everything, including free acts, are a result of God's decrees.

Just as you noted above, all knowledge is essential to God which includes feasible and actual worlds. 'Feasible' and 'actual' are just subsets of 'natural'.

AMR said:
How do you respond to the “grounding objection” to Molinism?

I respond that the objection is only possibly valid if God is....

1. Temporal
AMR said:
But, foreknowledge is grounded in something that actually happens, and it is the occurrence of that future event that sanctions the foreknowledge of it.
The 'grounding objection' overlooks the idea that God exists both before and after the event. The origin of the foreknowledge might possibly be the event itself.
The counterfactuals are grounded in God's knowledge of His own acts --- specifically Man's created nature. And again, ALL events occur simultaneously within God, but it's considerably harder to argue the logic of those events in an atemporal fashion. In other words, God decreed and foreknew simultaneously. Was there a time when God didn't know that He would do either?

2. Not the creator of man's nature
AMR said:
Even granting that there are some CF’s with actual (true) antecedents whose truth might in principle be determined by actual agents it seems to be such that God could not know them prevolitionally, if He must directly perceive their grounds. For until God decides which agents and which circumstances to cause to be actual, there aren’t any actual decisions that God could in principle know as the grounds of these CF’s.

This is the same grounds which Muz argues. You're saying "How does God know the actions of an entity which doesn't exist?" Just as you answer, I submit that man isn't that hard to figure out. That God's determination of outcomes was based upon His own act of creation. I would also submit that it is possible to know about things which don't exist. Do you know of an argument which shows it is impossible to do so?

Cause -----> Effect. Creation ------> Judgement. All God needed to know was Adam's personality and Adam's natural environment. Both of which He created puposefully.

Rob

p.s. We should note which group Molina developed this system to oppose.

RobE

The Christian theologians-philosophers who reject Molinism make sound arguments. Thx AMR for some insights (that I can't grasp on a quick reading).

If I recall, there is a flaw in Molinism relating to would vs might counterfactuals...the buzz word 'obtains' is found in these technical discussions. I do not think it solves the issues as well as simple Open Theism in light of a face value reading of Scripture.

Well you shouldn't thank AMR quite yet. If there is a flaw between the two motifs then it effects your position as well. You might not realize it, but I argue for your position.

I would like to know your take on Muz's assertion that Judas was a victim of positive reprobation(John 6:44). Will you become a bi-polar(or is it schizophrenic?) Supralapsarian as well? Bluntly put --- Was sufficient grace purposefully witheld from Judas Iscariot by God?

RobE

(Pay attention, Lee. Two birds with a single stone. God plans and doesn’t act.) Has God already fashioned an infinite number of plans? … Created an infinite number of universes already in parallel existence? Then God can’t make just one more? If God can make just one more then the future is still open.

Not really Philetus. You continually confuse 'knowledge' and 'action'. Plans denote knowledge. Decree denotes action. When we say 'carry out His plans' we're talking about what God does, not what God knows. God is unable to know that which is unknowable so your statement "If God can make just one more{plan}" is false, because you already admit that God knows all that is knowable.

I also believe God is infinite; from everlasting to everlasting.

No you don't. You believe God has a beginning and doesn't know if there is an end. Process thought is unable to fathom eternity. Supernatural evolution and natural evolution are the same concept.

I also believe God actually thinks (plans) before He acts and that God doesn't always act on His first plan....

Why not? Are some of God's plans more perfect than others?

.....because contingencies exist in created, thinking, acting beings other than God: us. If God is thinking and still making plans and/or adjusting those plans then the future remains open to some degree.

Why would contingencies mar perfection?

So if God is able to make new plans and do new things while not doing other things then welcome to Open Theism!

We've already agreed that God is unable to know that which is unknowable. So what would those 'new plans' be based upon. I'm sure you don't think that God is going to discover 'new knowledge' since that means there was something 'knowable' which God didn't know to begin with. That would be contradictory to the statement, "God knows all that is knowable.".

Philetus

There is more to the Bible than John 6:44, Michael. Important passages like Isaiah 6:9&10 and the several times that revelation is quoted in the N.T. Did you ever look into that Scripture like I asked?

Nang

Isaiah 6:11 Then I said, “Lord, how long?”

RobE

God is sitting across from you at the kitchen table. He uses His knowledge of His decreetive will and tells you if you will have your palms up or down in 10 seconds. Will you have your palms the way God says? Could you put your palms the other way if you so chose?

Your original statement requires the following two answers. Even by your own ideas God carries out or coerces His own decrees. The term: "Decreetive will." above necessitates that the action is unfree.

Will you have your palms the way God says?

Yes.

Could you put your palms the other way if you so chose?

No.​

If we were to re-write the scenario in the correct form: "God's permissive will."...

He uses His knowledge of His permissive will and tells you if you will have your palms up or down in 10 seconds. Will you have your palms the way God says? Could you put your palms the other way if you so chose?​

....then the answers would be:

Will you have your palms the way God says?

Yes.

Could you put your palms the other way if you so chose?

Yes.​

It's your choice and God's will is to allow it.

Lon

Well, duh. Everything I say presumes God does not have EDF, Lon. Did you forget who you were talking to? :)

Infinite God does not suffer from EDF but, some finite creatures do suffer from ADD.
"What?"
But, not everything imagined exists. Does it? Even if God imagined and planned the universe billions of years ago at that point God had a new thought, at the moment of creating the universe was new, even to God or else the universe is as infinite as you describe God to be.
Yes and no. I have a vivid imagination and what I dream up is very entertaining and exists in my mind. I think you are asking one of those difficult questions that are impossible to answer. How could we answer negatively or in the affirmative? I am not infinite so my answer is speculative at best. I hope you see your negative answer the same. If not, you aren't thinking deeply enough about your question.
And no, this is not the same as 'God writing a new song'. The assertion that God has an infinite number of plans is more like God writing an infinite number of songs that are never sung ... God making plans He doesn't intend to act on. Are God's actions infinite? Are there things God does not ... will not do? Did God stop creating at the end of the sixth day and rest on the seventh? He could have made one more creature, but He stopped.
1 Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array. 2 By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. 3 And God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done.​
You are trying to analyze the answer to a very complex question. I do not see the cut and dry version as starkly. There are many factors you are not considering. How can we answer how God thinks? I caution again here.
Is God still napping? Or is God still thinking and acting; relating to what He created? The infinite still relates to the finite and the finite (however limited)can and must relate to the infinite. Knowing, loving and worshiping God is built into the very fabric of our existence. The finite is not so limited that they cannot experience and know The Infinite God of creation in a personal, dynamic, intimate way. Neither is the infinite so limited that He cannot become flesh and blood and move into our neighborhood.
I'd not disagree with this.
Finite - We have only a finite amount of resources.
Infinite - without any finite or measurable limits

Plans - a method of doing something that is worked out in advance
something that somebody intends or has arranged to do
to intend to do something, or make arrangements to do something

If you are arguing that God has a specific intention to do something, a goal and A plan (I think we agree He does) and that God has an infinite amount of resources to apply to the task and unlimited potentiality and an infinite number of ways to accomplish His intention for creation, then we agree. And welcome to Open Theism.
Sometimes I think about it. Our continuing discussions would lead right back to traditional stances and I'd lead the way :) OV would be merely what it has always been, questions from traditional theists to discuss.
The plan (method) of accomplishing His goal was worked out in advance. But, the devil is in the details. People do things that do not help further God’s cause. It is called sin. Sin is divergent and in opposition to God’s PLAN (notice the singular). But God can adjust His actions (relate and respond) and not deviate from His over all plan. If you are referring to the details like page one in a set of plans (notice the plural) to accomplish a single purpose, then I still agree; there are perhaps infinite potential adjustments that God may need to make in order to accomplish the intended goal of the over all plan (notice the singular again). The adjustments need not be part of the original plan. They are only called for when contingencies warrant. God is a living, dynamic, relational being (thinking and acting) who is in control of HIS over all plan. That doesn’t mean we don’t steal apples, cut corners and try to do things our own way. The finite can destroy mess with creation and distort their own true identities beyond recognition; even commit suicide, but that will not alter the over all plan of God though it may require a loving, holy God to adjust.

God has a single plan and infinite possibilities for accomplishing His Goal and dealing with finite creatures who have been given freedom to either help or hinder in the details of progression.

If you are using infinite plans as infinite intentions then you can help us all out and explain to Lee how it is that God makes plan he doesn’t act on.

Philetus

:aimiel: In-finite ... I guess from the perspective of a worm, infinite can be seen such a negative term (pointing to only our worminess) until you come to the incarnation and see God in the flesh, the infinite in the finite, God in Christ, Christ in you the hope of glory.

God is infinite, from everlasting to everlasting. There has never been nor will there ever be one second that God does not exist. But, having an infinite amount of time to plan isn't the same as making an infinite number of plans.

But it goes back to your "Was God resting?" question. What was God doing in eternity past?
I do not believe you grasp the perplexity of an infinite past yet. Imagine billions of histories already played out in succession, multiply by billions a billion times and it isn't even a comparative second to eternity past where there is never a beginning. If God even planned just ten things, you'll still still have infinite plans when you multiply by infinity. They can never stop. I'm not altogether sure why this is hanging you up. You should be conceding rather quickly and I apologize for my weak explanations and analogy of something that should be starkly clear to you.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Well you shouldn't thank AMR quite yet. If there is a flaw between the two motifs then it effects your position as well. You might not realize it, but I argue for your position.

I would like to know your take on Muz's assertion that Judas was a victim of positive reprobation(John 6:44). Will you become a bi-polar(or is it schizophrenic?) Supralapsarian as well? Bluntly put --- Was sufficient grace purposefully witheld from Judas Iscariot by God?

The Father impartially loves and draws all men to Himself. He convinces and convicts all men with truth. The same sun can harden clay or melt wax, so the human heart and responsiveness to the work of the Spirit does affect outcomes. God's drawing/wooing/influence is not causative or coercive. Judas initially started out good and was chosen as an apostle. He became bad and a son of perdition as he drifted from Christ. The Spirit strived with him for a time, but at some point, his continual rejection of the Spirit and openness to the influence of Satan tipped the balances. When one rejects light and truth, grieves and quenches the Spirit, the conscience/mind/heart may become dull and the Spirit ceases his work (further light will only bring more condemnation if rejected) and a person is turned over to their sin. God is not mocked and His patience may move from mercy to justice if the person continuously or defiantly loves darkness and refuses to come to the light.

RobE

The Father impartially loves and draws all men to Himself. He convinces and convicts all men with truth. The same sun can harden clay or melt wax, so the human heart and responsiveness to the work of the Spirit does affect outcomes. God's drawing/wooing/influence is not causative or coercive. Judas initially started out good and was chosen as an apostle. He became bad and a son of perdition as he drifted from Christ. The Spirit strived with him for a time, but at some point, his continual rejection of the Spirit and openness to the influence of Satan tipped the balances. When one rejects light and truth, grieves and quenches the Spirit, the conscience/mind/heart may become dull and the Spirit ceases his work (further light will only bring more condemnation if rejected) and a person is turned over to their sin. God is not mocked and His patience may move from mercy to justice if the person continuously or defiantly loves darkness and refuses to come to the light.

Good. This is the same as Molina's position. Molina's idea of 'sufficient' grace vs. 'effecacious' grace was revolutionary in its support of free will theism. This idea of resistable grace is rejected by Calvinists and Thomists. Muz is at least a 1 point Calvinist for Muz believes grace is irresistable.

John 17:12 While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled.​

Godrulz said:
The Father impartially loves and draws all men to Himself. He convinces and convicts all men with truth. The same sun can harden clay or melt wax, so the human heart and responsiveness to the work of the Spirit does affect outcomes. God's drawing/wooing/influence is not causative or coercive.

"He convinces and convicts all men with truth."​

In my opinion, sufficient grace is defined by your statement above. The law is sufficient grace and it was given to all mankind in their hearts, minds, and on paper.

God provided man with enough reason to understand this grace and 'hear' its call; as well as, enough strength to refuse to 'hear' its call. The first results in a man calling for Our Lord's aid, and the second in a man drowning in his own self-approval.

So the law which is insufficient to save, is extremely efficient in convicting:

Romans 7:7What shall we say, then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! Indeed I would not have known what sin was except through the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, "Do not covet." 8But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of covetous desire. For apart from law, sin is dead. 9Once I was alive apart from law; but when the commandment came, sin sprang to life and I died. 10I found that the very commandment that was intended to bring life actually brought death.​

This law(or truth) teaches us to distinguish between 'good' and 'evil' and actually provides us with the choice which is necessary for grace to become effecacious. Without this grace of law there would be no choice to make!

"Repent!," is the message of this grace. Was Judas Iscariot able to repent until the time of his death? I say yes.

If I'm correct then how are Jesus words of Judas' doom and destruction true ---unless through foreknowledge?

John 17:12 While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled.​

Evoken

Good. This is the same as Molina's position. Molina's idea of 'sufficient' grace vs. 'effecacious' grace was revolutionary in its support of free will theism. This idea of resistable grace is rejected by Calvinists and Thomists. Muz is at least a 1 point Calvinist for Muz believes grace is irresistable.

A small nitpick. Sufficient and efficacious grace is not something exclusive to Molinism, it is also accepted by Thomists. The main difference is that Molinists believe that efficacious grace derives it's efficacy from our consent whereas Thomist believe that efficacious grace is efficacious in itself. Also, Thomists do accept the fact that sufficient grace can be resisted and also that efficacious grace while it is not resisted does not eliminates free will. Free will under the influence of efficacious grace retains the possibility of resisting the grace, but it is simply never actualized. This is the same manner in which the saints in heaven retain their free will while enjoying the beatific vision of God. They have attained the good they desire by nature and having done so they do not desire to move away from it, but the possibility of doing so remains in their faculties.

Evo

Nang

TOL Subscriber
A small nitpick. Sufficient and efficacious grace is not something exclusive to Molinism, it is also accepted by Thomists. The main difference is that Molinists believe that efficacious grace derives it's efficacy from our consent whereas Thomist believe that efficacious grace is efficacious in itself. Also, Thomists do accept the fact that sufficient grace can be resisted and also that efficacious grace while it is not resisted does not eliminates free will. Free will under the influence of efficacious grace retains the possibility of resisting the grace, but it is simply never actualized. This is the same manner in which the saints in heaven retain their free will while enjoying the beatific vision of God. They have attained the good they desire by nature and having done so they do not desire to move away from it, but the possibility of doing so remains in their faculties.

Evo

I will weigh in with my denial that there are different versions of grace.

There is one remedy for sin, and that is the efficacious grace of God, which is irresistible, due to the fact it is bestowed according to the will and eternal decrees of God.

Grace is not a commodity made available to all men. Grace is the means by which the sons of God are brought into union with their Savior, Jesus Christ. Thus, grace is particular to them alone, and saves all those elect in Christ without fail.

The efficacious grace of God exceeds providential and temporal blessings, which all sinners enjoy in this lifetime. The efficacious grace of God reconciles the finite with infinite Father God, providing them all the spiritual blessings in the heavenly places through God the Son, via the resurrection power of God the Spirit.

This is grace:

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before Him." Ephesians 1:3&4

Grace cannot be anything less than the above revelation.

Nang

Last edited:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Eph. 1 corporate vs individual election.

Robe: Wesley's prevenient grace? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prevenient_Grace

Jesus is full of grace and truth (Jn. 1). His grace reaches to the uttermost, but some grieve and quench the Spirit and reject His grace and power. It is efficacious for all who believe, and all are able to believe (will not vs cannot).

Irresistible grace is an oxymoron.

Everyone repeat after me (you are getting very sleepy): Decretal theology (infra/supra, etc.) is a deductive assumption leading to wrong conclusions, not something implicit in Scripture. It is a later invention of man and Scripture is put through the screen of this preconceived theology leading to an impugnment of God's character and ways. A wrong view of sovereignty (omnicausal) and free will (compatibilism) are two root problems with Calvinism leading away from a simple biblical position.

If this does not convince you, read Gen-Rev. over and over and then repeat the above paragraph a few more times. You will see the light.

RobE

A small nitpick. Sufficient and efficacious grace is not something exclusive to Molinism, it is also accepted by Thomists. The main difference is that Molinists believe that efficacious grace derives it's efficacy from our consent whereas Thomist believe that efficacious grace is efficacious in itself.

I'm sure your right since you are more 'schooled' in Thomism than I. However I would point out that Thomism's main thrust is the irresistability of grace. In this way neo-Calvinism and Thomism are very similar in their beliefs. I've stated before that Christianity is coming to a concensus on this issue of free will vs. foreknowledge. That concensus is that foreknowledge and free will are indeed compatible. The Thomist view which may well be correct does not address the knot of this problem. They simply admit that they are unable to understand how God does it. Much like the creative act which is beyond our comprehension, we know it is true because it exists despite it not being understandable by human minds.

Also, Thomists do accept the fact that sufficient grace can be resisted and also that efficacious grace while it is not resisted does not eliminates free will.

Well, what is the 'sufficient' grace of the Thomist? It isn't saving grace. So what form does it take within Thomism?

Free will under the influence of efficacious grace retains the possibility of resisting the grace, but it is simply never actualized.

I understand this. The capability still exists even though it will never happen. Freedom would still exist within this situtation.

It's my belief that a basic error might separate the two views:

Rob said:
Possible Basis for all Errors: The argument from both Thomists and Molinists which states God either foreknew before decreeing; or, decreed before foreknowing.

I would claim that both decree and knowledge existed simultaneously.

RobE

Robe: Wesley's prevenient grace? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prevenient_Grace.

Thanks for the link, but it didn't address the question:

If I'm correct then how are Jesus words of Judas' doom and destruction true ---unless through foreknowledge?

Is it possible that foreknowledge is indeed compatible with free will?

Nang

TOL Subscriber

Robe: Wesley's prevenient grace? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prevenient_Grace

Jesus is full of grace and truth (Jn. 1).

Yes, Jesus is the source of grace and truth, and only those known by Him and chosen/created in Him are recipients of this grace and truth.

All those outside of Christ will perish for lack of grace and knowledge of truth; strictly according to the will of God, not man.

God chooses who are in Christ. Man does not choose to be known by God in Christ.

You cannot present one Scripture that says otherwise. There is NONE.

God chooses who will be saved; not man.

God extends His grace only to those He has elected in Christ. The world at large knows not the effacious, saving grace of God, because God wills not to save universally.

"Universal" teachings of any version or in any degree, are always part of a false gospel.

Nang

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Thanks for the link, but it didn't address the question:

Is it possible that foreknowledge is indeed compatible with free will?

Surely we have answered your pet question over and over.

When was he doomed? Not before birth nor by decree. He did not start out doomed, but became a betrayer. He was not born possessed, but was possessed by Satan later in life. When Jesus spoke these words, the heart of Judas had already shifted. It is proximal foreknowledge based on perfect knowledge of the present.

I already pointed you to Sander's development of fulfilled meaning illustrated, not just predictive.

If Judas would have repented, but Tom Jones would have betrayed, then the Bible would be different and the passage would have been illustrated by someone else.

Judas as pawn/puppet is one of the bad areas of theology in J.C. Superstar. Don't fall for it. Simple foreknowledge (exhaustive) is not proven from this text since it was not a prediction from before Judas' birth. There are other NT e.g. of seeming misapplications of OT verses to NT truth. It is by way of illustration (even some related to Jesus), not prediction. We can stretch this because the Spirit makes the application. It would not be a normative hermeneutic to apply randomly without the Spirit's inspiration.

Status
Not open for further replies.