ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philetus

Well, let me rephrase this, then...

So then how do you understand "Does he speak and then not act, does he promise and not fulfill?"

The answer is, "yes, indeed he does"?

How do you read "that is a word the Lord has not spoken"?

How is it not a lie (remembering God's holiness) to say "truly, truly" when it might not be true?

Blessings,
Lee

Truly, truly I say unto you, you need to get a little more technical in your reading of 'truly', Lee. For instance and the sake of never getting past your reposting (not rephrasing) .... is 'truly' ever used in the same verse with 'if"? (A KJV with Strongs numbers will help. King James Word Usage - Total: 193 = indeed 22, verily 14, truly 12, not translated 142, miscellaneous 3.) That ought to get you started.

Philetus

Why, did I post this?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Truly, truly.

Now if I could just get you to reject Clete's 'knows what He wants to know when He wants to know it' concept, I would have you fully under my cultic control...wa ha ha ha.

Have you shaved your head yet (see previous command)?

themuzicman

Apparently Lee cannot attribute sufficient omnipotence to God to believe that He can bring about His prophecies without having fixed the outcome beforehand.

Why live in doubt of God's ability, Lee?

Muz

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Apparently Lee cannot attribute sufficient omnipotence to God to believe that He can bring about His prophecies without having fixed the outcome beforehand.

Why live in doubt of God's ability, Lee?

Muz

Omnicompetence is superior to omnicausality.

lee_merrill

As far as God being responsive, yes, he can foresee a request we make, and then include that in his plans. You may--correctly--deduce from this that I do not believe that God makes every decision, I believe God's children can really choose.

... is 'truly' ever used in the same verse with 'if"?
What you need to point out to me however, is a verse where a statement is said to be both sure (as in saying 'truly, truly') where it is also conditional (as in using 'if' in reference to the stated proposition).

And how do you understand "Does he speak and then not act, does he promise and not fulfill?"
The answer is, "yes, indeed he does"?!

And how do you read "that is a word the Lord has not spoken"?

And I am to conclude from a lack of a direct answer, that you would say it is a lie (remembering God's holiness) to say "truly, truly" when it might not be true?

Blessings,
Lee

P.S. Happy birthday to Muz... :the_wave:

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Maybe a question for the atemporalists ought to be: Can God respond to us at all?
Er, no. The real question is whether a temporal, unable to see the future, probabilistic God's responses are worth trusting. I'll take the God who knows the exact day and time of the eschaton over the one who cannot possibly know the date.

Philetus

As far as God being responsive, yes, he can foresee a request we make, and then include that in his plans. You may--correctly--deduce from this that I do not believe that God makes every decision, I believe God's children can really choose.

What you need to point out to me however, is a verse where a statement is said to be both sure (as in saying 'truly, truly') where it is also conditional (as in using 'if' in reference to the stated proposition).

And how do you understand "Does he speak and then not act, does he promise and not fulfill?"
The answer is, "yes, indeed he does"?!

And how do you read "that is a word the Lord has not spoken"?

And I am to conclude from a lack of a direct answer, that you would say it is a lie (remembering God's holiness) to say "truly, truly" when it might not be true?

Blessings,
Lee

P.S. Happy birthday to Muz... :the_wave:

I'll deal with the substantial part of your post first:

Amen, Amen!
Happy birthday Muz!!!!!!
:wave2: :the_wave::wave2:

Yea, truly, God saweth the decisions I would be making a long, long time before I was even born and saith unto himself, "That seemeth like a good infinite plan. Let us go with it." Which, up until that point I guess the future was open and I, yea verily, verily, even I, closed it for God fpr good.

I'll play word games with you, but at least they have to be fun absurd word games.

God does not lie, Lee.
Philetus

Philetus

Er, no. The real question is whether a temporal, unable to see the future, probabilistic God's responses are worth trusting. I'll take the God who knows the exact day and time of the eschaton over the one who cannot possibly know the date.

Gee, Lee. We have a new player.

God has a calendar. I sent him one for Christmas. God promised though, not to let you or Jesus see the date He has marked. I'll trust Him with that. Who knows, maybe He will even put it off long enough to give you time to repent, air-bag.

Philetus

Philetus

Now if I could just get you to reject Clete's 'knows what He wants to know when He wants to know it' concept, I would have you fully under my cultic control...wa ha ha ha.

Have you shaved your head yet (see previous command)?

How about, 'forgets what He wants to forget when He wants to forget it'? :chuckle:

You see, God has this big ignore button right next to His easy button and ........................ (you wana play?)

I really thought you were doing well until you went with the amnesia thing.

Philetus

We always thought my dad had wavy hair until he lost it. He just had a lumpy head. Shave my head? Never! To much 60s left in me. In fact, I told my son the other day if I caught him in another barber shop he would be grounded.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No, my answer was that God can know and it doesn't make your choice any different. You are misconstruing this because of how you view foreordination, sovereignty, and predestination.
Here was your answer: "No. The problem in our respective views is where this gets mixed up or misunderstood.

It always needs to be addressed as I'm sure you appreciate. It is often really two ships passing, one using wind, the other oars and we discuss momentum differently (Please don't take that analogy too far, AMR is so right, we can get into metaphor discussion without hitting the main issue)."

That was the 'talking passed each other' part. And you continued: "Dropping the metaphor, it is at the point where time is relative to God (or not) that our perception differs and we aren't even talking about the same thing when you see a contradiction. Knowing something beforehand is just a time consideration, not a problem against the will. If I go to the future and find out that today you wore a red shirt, it doesn't affect your choice or my knowledge. Further, it is merely a question of 'when' not anything negating the choice. AMR said correctly, Foreknowledge doesn't equate foreordination except where God had decided to play a specific part. In our discussion, confusion rather than understanding between is often the frustration. With an OV mindset I always get the 'you aren't being logical' argument, but because it really is an apples to oranges comparison I don't take it personally that your assessment is incorrect. We often mischaracterize because our discussion comes from entirely different premises. I try not to get frustrated and keep this in mind. Our very premises are different which makes it nearly impossible sometimes to see the other's points. I fear we may never be able to really discuss our differences intelligibly, but in hope I keep plodding on."

That would be the 'God has EDF' part. You didn't show how my assessment that the kitchen table senario was a contradiction was wrong, and you didn't agree that it was a contradiction.

But like I said, you don't have to answer if you don't want to.

Go back and revisit with me what I said: If I get an almanac from the future, I'd know every major event that happens this year. I would know if it rains today. HOWEVER, I have nothing at all to do with any of it actually happening. EDF does not remove choice.

(He's making a clear strong stance of it above)

From Lee's quote: "...a remnant will be saved..?"

Your answer clearly is "He doesn't." Thats the answer Lee is looking for. God doesn't 'know." "He is very smart." I.E. He predicts rather well but He doesn't know.

Then how did you answer? You are confusing yourself. It was clear.
The problem isn't that I cannot answer a vague question. The problem is that I gave Lee options on what he was asking for, and he won't reply clearly. So I can say if A, then X, but if B, then Y. But I need a reply that tells me if he meant A or B.

So, when I answer God is smart, it could mean that God is so smart he knows the future exhaustively, or it could mean God is smart enough to tell the future without exhaustive forknowledge. So I asked for clarification and didn't receive it.

Yorzhik said:
As sure as any of God's prophecies. Isn't that obvious?
Lon said:
Yes. God isn't 'sure' in OV. He predicts with almost certainty because "He is very smart."
Your response doesn't follow mine. We have a record of God's prophecies. They didn't all come to pass.

Yorzhik said:
Of course, isn't that His goal?
Lon said:
Er...no. That is why He says only a remnant. The logic leads to rejection or a Calvinistic understanding.
Rejection of what? But isn't it obvious that God would prefer that greater than a remanent be saved than just a remanent? Doesn't the bible as a whole show you that God would rather people be saved than to have His prophecies come to pass?

Thanks, I wanted to make sure you recognize I've not misquoted you here.

It was a rhetorical question. The point is that EDF hasn't been misproven here and prophecy points to God's knowledge. The fundamental issue was addressed by Clete several pages ago. Scroll down to "Let me try again." He explains the dilemma rather well.
"The point is that EDF hasn't been misproven here and prophecy points to God's knowledge.". Well, on just a philosophical level it has. And on a biblical level it has because of prophecy as one of the strong reasons. But like I said, you don't have to answer the philosophical questions.

The handcuffs is a misunderstanding/mischaraterization. If there were two set to betray Christ, prophecy would have reflected the idea. If none, same thing. It is more than prediction. By God's own standard, His prophecy must come about.
This can only mean God knows or He determines, even against what a man chooses and decides for himself. It is an either or scenario. In order for God's standard for prophecy to be upheld, it MUST come about.
I'm showing you how this isn't true. Maybe you are willing to dabble in philosophy just to find out.

Yorzhik said:
Because Pharoah was like a trained dog.
Lon said:
Yeah, but why the tenth plague? God couldn't know when Pharoah would have broken by OV definition. He couldn't have told Moses that Pharoah would have caved after 10. I am arguing God has the ability to 'know' men's future perfectly (and ultimately arguing for EDF). Lee's question is all about this premise. Here is another question: Why do it? Why say what you 'think' will happen if you could be wrong? God doesn't need to predict 'outloud.' In scripture, God throws around prophetic statements like they are just part of his nature and thoughts. He never seems to 'think better' of the guess (if OV were correct).
There is a natural rendering of EDF in scripture. I've grossly oversimplified but I believe you can see the point here.
First, God does "think better", as demonstrated in scripture over and over.

Second, if 10 didn't work, He would do 11. Why would that matter?

OV cannot rest on simply "God being very smart" when the test of prophecy is given in no uncertain terms. It must come about.
Like if God says "surely I will drive them out" in no uncertain terms like that? or "40 days and Nineveh will be destroyed" in no uncertain terms like that?

Yorzhik said:
I can do these things. I could pursuade someone to name their child a certain name, I could blind someone. Why do you make this huge leap from things we could all do to things that define God's exhaustive foreknowledge? It just doesn't follow.
Lon said:
I don't think you can. In Luke 1:11-20, the angel Gabriel tells Zacharias he will have a son and to name him John. Zacharias doesn't believe him and is struck dumb until the moment he names John against the others trying to name him. God completely intervenes in this naming.
"I don't think you can." What? What kind of silly talk is that? I do it all the time. Don't be stupid an say I claimed to do miracles. I said I could persuade people. And with the power to, let's say, stop someone from walking temporarily like they do in the mafia, I could persuade people even more! Even enough to persuade them to name their child a certain name.

What I want scripture to say is irrelevant. What it actually says is what is important here.
Think of it in these terms: All of Christiandom has believed that God has EDF based on scriptural teachings. It is audacious to think that "I" out of all believers suddenly have more knowledge and reasoning than the rest of Christiandom. If I have a counter view, I'd better be VERY sure and I'd better be able to prove beyond doubt my assertation. OV has yet to do this and I see it as impertinent.
Ah, no. When God says He would overthrow Nineveh you don't rewrite scripture like Lee does, do you? Just how do you interpret that scripture?

Last edited:

Lon

Lon, You said God's plans are infinite. And I asked: how infinite?

Agree, God is infinite, we are not. But how then do you get unlimited plans out of that?

If God’s plans are without limit and they are unknowable, that sounds rather indefinable and indefinite. Don’t you mean they are just beyond your comprehension? I think if you look again God’s PLANS are either not yet made or are known (revealed) and are really quite definable and definite. The issue isn’t how unknowable is God, but to what degree has God made Himself known/knowable even in the kind of world God created and what of God’s plans has God revealed to us in His Word? I would agree that God has infinite possibilities for making plans, and even unlimited power to pull them off, but what God has revealed narrows those possibilities quite a bit.

Philetus

It is a very egocentric persuasion you have going there. We are not the center of God's universe and I would not at all be surprised if He had much more going on than you'd imagine. I do not believe we are the center of God's universe nor that we have even a significant percentage of His revelation and being. Clete once said it is like .001% for tradition and like 50% for OV. I never took it as a slight but I considered both his numbers way too high. When my logic stops, He is infinite. I really don't believe I could compare #'s to those kinds of considerations.

You are constraining an infinite future with your logical constraints. God's plans are infinite.

lee_merrill

Yea, truly, God saweth the decisions I would be making a long, long time before I was even born and saith unto himself, "That seemeth like a good infinite plan. Let us go with it." Which, up until that point I guess the future was open and I, yea verily, verily, even I, closed it for God for good.
Well fine, if that is what you mean by closed, I get the impression that people object to a future with no real choices in it, when they say "closed future."

God does not lie, Lee.
Certainly not! Now how do you interpret God saying "truly, truly" when it might not be true, in the light of God's holiness, and in view of the fact that God indeed does not ever lie?

And how do you understand "Does he speak and then not act, does he promise and not fulfill?" The answer is, "yes, indeed he does"?

And how do you know when "that is a word the Lord has not spoken" when a predicted event does not happen?

Blessings,
Lee

Last edited:

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So then God does speak and then not act, he does promise and not fulfill?
Yes, of course. In fact, He promises to break His promises in Jer. 18.

No, you are not telling the truth in the sense of a certain statement, but "truly, truly" means the statement is sure.
"Truly truly the New England Patriots will go undefeated this season."

So the statement is sure, right?

But I meant when God says "this will surely happen," then if it doesn't happen, that is a word the Lord did not speak. Contra Open Theism--see "I will surely drive them out" above.
I see "I will surely drive them out" above... and it was a word the Lord spoke... and God did not drive them out.

But I meant when God says "this will surely happen," then if it doesn't happen, that is a word the Lord did not speak. Contra Open Theism.

Blessings,
Lee
You can mean the cow jumps over the moon for all God cares. I know what you meant. But contra to what you mean, God means when He speaks in Jer. 18 that He can change His mind.

BTW, you didn't answer this post and it would explain the nature of God and how He deals with prophecy.
Yorzhik said:
Sure. God is sitting across from you at the kitchen table. He uses His knowledge of His decreetive will and tells you if you will have your palms up or down in 10 seconds. Will you have your palms the way God says? Could you put your palms the other way if you so chose?

godrulz

Hall of Fame

Wait. God CAN know the exact date if He wants to fatalisticallyl fix it in advance apart from contingencies relating to the preaching of the gospel, etc. The issue is whether He did do this yet. He could also have made your Calvinistic, deterministic universe a reality, but He did not (created a free, not tightly controlled universe).

Divine temporality does not have the limitations of human temporality.

If the future was there to see, He would see it. To not see a nothing is not a limitation. If He settled all of the future in advance, then He could 'see' it (even then, not fully until it is actualized).

God's great character and attributes make Him trustworthy. Your risk-free, omnicausal idea of God is not worthy of His greatness (which you underestimate; one does not have to be a Dictator to rule providentially and responsively). It also does not resonate with Scripture or reality.

Lon

Wait. God CAN know the exact date if He wants to fatalisticallyl fix it in advance apart from contingencies relating to the preaching of the gospel, etc. The issue is whether He did do this yet. He could also have made your Calvinistic, deterministic universe a reality, but He did not (created a free, not tightly controlled universe).

Divine temporality does not have the limitations of human temporality.

If the future was there to see, He would see it. To not see a nothing is not a limitation. If He settled all of the future in advance, then He could 'see' it (even then, not fully until it is actualized).

God's great character and attributes make Him trustworthy. Your risk-free, omnicausal idea of God is not worthy of His greatness (which you underestimate; one does not have to be a Dictator to rule providentially and responsively). It also does not resonate with Scripture or reality.

Simple and/or EDF is a reality. We do not see His future knowledge as merely predictive but known. OV's answer is "He is very smart" in prediction, but if smart means 'virtually known' (and it does) you are giving God virtual foreknowledge by your own definition.

If God is not just smart, but very smart. If God only loses when He chooses to, you have conceded a whole bunch of ground and OV has much less significance over the traditional understandings and is hardly novel. All your repositioning is in effect 'almost.' God almost has EDF. God is almost omnipotent in OV.

Lon

Yorzhik said:
God is sitting across from you at the kitchen table. He uses His knowledge of His decreetive will and tells you if you will have your palms up or down in 10 seconds. Will you have your palms the way God says? Could you put your palms the other way if you so chose?

You will have them the way God says.

The second question is mute. Your own choice and inclination is known before it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.