ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Bacon said:
Sort of like the middle 6 in 666. They are all sixes, but the one in the middle is less than the one on the left but greater than the one on the right. Ok, well you are committed to your position and I guess I won't do any good to beat a dead horse.

So what about how you change "died to sin" to "died for sin?" Are words really that plastic for those who "have the anointing?"

Ok, well then can you at least answer the questions I posed?

Where is the god?
Where is Jesus?

Thanks

God is Lord of heaven and earth. He is on the throne. He fills the universe by His presence. Jesus is at the right hand of the Father co-equal as Lord of lords and King of kings. The Father, Son, Spirit are co-equal, co-eternal, co-essential, the one true triune God.

Bacon

Where is the god

Where is the god

godrulz said:
God is Lord of heaven and earth. He is on the throne. He fills the universe by His presence. Jesus is at the right hand of the Father co-equal as Lord of lords and King of kings. The Father, Son, Spirit are co-equal, co-eternal, co-essential, the one true triune God.

The term "heaven and earth" comes from Genesis 1. It refers to:

* the sky, which is a "firmament' or "ceiling" that separates the waters above (where rain is stored) from the waters below (the bottomless pit, the abyss). It is geographically located "up" and "above" while the sea has no bottom. There is no understanding of the spinning ball we are on, nor the vastness of space.

* the "earth" is "the dry land" - not the planet. The dry land was drawn forth from the pre-existent abyss. During the Noahic flood, the world, the sky and land, were so destroyed that we are told that we are living in a new sky and new land. There is no concept of a universe, just a pre-existent chaos that has been ordered into the land between the waters.

So the father is located in the sky. Talk about "God filling the Universe" is not biblical talk. The god is in the sky. Paul understood Psalm 19 to say that he lived inside of the sun:

1Ti 6:16 Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.

But they had no idea how far the sun was, nor the immensity of the stars. They thought they were little lights. That is why Matthew accepts that the astrologers could read the stars and gain specific info about the birth of a king, and why he had no trouble with the idea that stars might fall from the sky to the land, nor why he thought a star might not only serve as a communicator to astrologers but might come down, lead a company of men and park directly above a stable. From here they seem so small! And so Jesus holds stars in his hands.

Anyway, so Jesus you say is at the right hand of the Father. The scriptures say he is at the right hand of the god. So the Father has a right hand? Jesus certainly does. Jesus is a man remember?:

Lu 24:39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

Ac 1:9 And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight.

Ac 1:11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.

Do you think that a physical man has inherited a "spirit" kingdom? That a man sits next to some blob that fills the universe? No, they are seated side by side. Both essentially magical men. The god that came down to check out Sodom and the man Jesus. There is no "Holy Spirit" on the throne. There is only holy breath in their lungs. For the god, as well as Jesus, has lungs, because man was made in the image and likeness of the god.

I know you are ashamed by the notion that the god would be so like us and so like the gods of the Greeks and the Romans and other pagan civilizations, but this is how the scriptures consistently describe the deity Jehovah, the god of Israel.

One day, the god will make his dwellingplace on the dry land and live with men:

Re 21:3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

As a rule, people love dogma more than they care about truth because dogma makes them feel secure. You have proved no different so far so I doubt that you can hear this. But here it is, just in case.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
The incarnation is the ultimate reality of God tabernacling among men. This does not elevate man to God status, nor does it reduce God to a mere creature. Jesus is the God-Man.

Bacon

Incarnation

Incarnation

godrulz said:
The incarnation is the ultimate reality of God tabernacling among men. This does not elevate man to God status, nor does it reduce God to a mere creature. Jesus is the God-Man.

Actually, your explanation is completely unsatisfactory because Paul says that the god will displace Jesus, not be reincarnated as Jesus. How would you exposit (or provide one of your imaginative "work arounds" for) this text?

1 Corinthians 15:
24 Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.
25 For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet.
26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.
27 For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.
28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

Have you ever heard this text preached in an "orthodox Church"?

By the way, that is the KJV, so please do not complain about the translation.

How do you exposit it? Or are you ashamed to say how you read it?

The above is Paul's version of the Revelation passage I cited. It is, for Paul, not an allegory or "figurative language" about the "above-ness" of the god. Rather it is his understanding of the very physical nature of the god and his throne and the eternal distinction between the god and Jesus, his servant and subject.

RobE

patman said:
I have missed being on here, due to recent health struggles, sitting at a computer was difficult. Now with a new laptop, I again can get back to the swing of things:)

Great! ;)

I can say this to the S.V. Credit, it takes more faith to believe your way than does ours. You do not require to have to know why he can see the future, because he just does. After all, I imagine you think God can do the impossible anyway, why not know the future and allow freewill?

Actually, I'm trying to explain 'WHY' God is able to see the future. And yes, I believe God is able to do those things which are impossible for me to do. Creation, omnipresence, etc.....

I guess this one point we keep bringing up seems like a corner stone, but there is much more. It is more than a problem in understanding to us, it is our way of trying to get you to think outside of your faith.

What more is there? I would appreciate a list.

Rob

RobE

This is how the scriptures portray the god and his relations to men. All of the musings about him micro-managing every little detail of history are based on philosophy not scripture.

Bacon: The god cannot read minds.

Rev. 2: 23I will strike her children dead. Then all the churches will know that I am he who searches hearts and minds, and I will repay each of you according to your deeds.​

Bacon: Joh 1:4 it [the god's word] generated a life and the life was people's light

John 1: 1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning.
3Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.
14The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

15John testifies concerning him. He cries out, saying, "This was he of whom I said, 'He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.' " 16From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another. 17For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. 18No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only, who is at the Father's side, has made him known.​

Bacon: Jesus was a man made by the god. He was a sinner, like all men, but became perfect after he died to sin and was resurrected by the god as both emperor and anointed Davidic king.
Hebrews 7:11If perfection could have been attained through the Levitical priesthood (for on the basis of it the law was given to the people), why was there still need for another priest to come—one in the order of Melchizedek, not in the order of Aaron?

Hebrews 7:26Such a high priest meets our need—one who is holy, blameless, pure, set apart from sinners, exalted above the heavens. 27Unlike the other high priests, he does not need to offer sacrifices day after day, first for his own sins..​

Patman said:
These are verses I would use to back up the claim that God does not possess 100% future knowledge nor 100% present knowledge. Such a sinful, heart-breaking city would be just the thing God doesn't want to think about day and night, so he put out of his sight, but he still heard how bad it was enough to take action.

Which supports Bacon's position.

Bacon: What people need to realize is the degree to which modern theology (popular modern theology) has been influenced by dualism - the idea that there are two kinds of matter: matter and spirit. This is not a biblical idea. The Hebrews were strict materialists. Everything, whether it was the god, the divine kingdom, human motives and intelligence, were based in matter.

1 Cor. 1:22Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, 23but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles,..

Matt. 16:1The Pharisees and Sadducees came to Jesus and tested him by asking him to show them a sign from heaven.
2He replied, "When evening comes, you say, 'It will be fair weather, for the sky is red,' 3and in the morning, 'Today it will be stormy, for the sky is red and overcast.' You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times. 4A wicked and adulterous generation looks for a miraculous sign,​

Bacon said:
Where is the god?
Where is Jesus?

Shouldn't you add 'Where is the Holy Spirit?'?

My answer: Together and separate. In the world and in heaven. In me and outside of me.

RobE

Bacon said:
The term "heaven and earth" comes from Genesis 1. It refers to:

* the sky, which is a "firmament' or "ceiling" that separates the waters above (where rain is stored) from the waters below (the bottomless pit, the abyss). It is geographically located "up" and "above" while the sea has no bottom. There is no understanding of the spinning ball we are on, nor the vastness of space.

Gen. 1: 1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.​

Heavens is correct, not heaven. Agreed that the atmosphere is one heaven, but not all 'heavens'.

* the "earth" is "the dry land" - not the planet. The dry land was drawn forth from the pre-existent abyss. During the Noahic flood, the world, the sky and land, were so destroyed that we are told that we are living in a new sky and new land. There is no concept of a universe, just a pre-existent chaos that has been ordered into the land between the waters.

It had never rained on Earth and the sky appeared different, and the land was changed in the deluge.

So the father is located in the sky. Talk about "God filling the Universe" is not biblical talk. The god is in the sky. Paul understood Psalm 19 to say that he lived inside of the sun:

Man's concept of our universe was more limited in Paul's day which; of course, led to Pauls understanding to be more limited. Here's a science article from 1931.....

Karl Jansky begins the science of radio astronomy as he observes interference in the form of hissing sounds coming from beyond the earth's atmosphere.

The story goes on to say that the upper atmosphere is very hotter than the lower atmosphere because artillery shells fired by the Germans were red hot when the came back to the ground. Friction, even in 1931, was unknown. Paul would write based on Paul's perspective.

1Ti 6:16 Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.

But they had no idea how far the sun was, nor the immensity of the stars. They thought they were little lights. That is why Matthew accepts that the astrologers could read the stars and gain specific info about the birth of a king, and why he had no trouble with the idea that stars might fall from the sky to the land, nor why he thought a star might not only serve as a communicator to astrologers but might come down, lead a company of men and park directly above a stable. From here they seem so small! And so Jesus holds stars in his hands.

Which makes sense. However, it doesn't account for man's apparent obsession with astrology and the possibility that there is some validity to the ordering of the stars just as there is within nature everywhere. The Sumerians certainly sought this knowledge which caused God to intervene at the tower of Babel. I hope I spelled Sumerians correctly.

Anyway, so Jesus you say is at the right hand of the Father. The scriptures say he is at the right hand of the god. So the Father has a right hand? Jesus certainly does. Jesus is a man remember?:

Lu 24:39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

Ac 1:9 And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight.

Ac 1:11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.

Do you think that a physical man has inherited a "spirit" kingdom? That a man sits next to some blob that fills the universe? No, they are seated side by side. Both essentially magical men. The god that came down to check out Sodom and the man Jesus. There is no "Holy Spirit" on the throne. There is only holy breath in their lungs. For the god, as well as Jesus, has lungs, because man was made in the image and likeness of the god.

No. I believe a Spiritual man, who was given a physical body, inherited a "spirit" kingdom. And to denounce the Holy Spirit is unforgivable according to scripture.....[
Matthew 12:32
Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.​

I know you are ashamed by the notion that the god would be so like us and so like the gods of the Greeks and the Romans and other pagan civilizations, but this is how the scriptures consistently describe the deity Jehovah, the god of Israel.

Which Open Theist's must assert is true; as far as God's mental abilities goes. No one has said that God is like the Greek and Roman false deities in physical form though. How would one describe a spiritual form? It's impossible. So, God must be described in terms that are understood by the writer and reader. Those forms would be what would allow us to have understanding. Figures of speech to make comprehension possible.

Bacon said:
One day, the god will make his dwellingplace on the dry land and live with men:

Re 21:3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

He's already done this and is capable of doing it again.

1 Cor. 15 said:
42So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable; 43it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; 44it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body.
If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body. 45So it is written: "The first man Adam became a living being"[e]; the last Adam, a life-giving spirit. 46The spiritual did not come first, but the natural, and after that the spiritual. 47The first man was of the dust of the earth, the second man from heaven. 48As was the earthly man, so are those who are of the earth; and as is the man from heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. 49And just as we have borne the likeness of the earthly man, so shall we bear the likeness of the man from heaven.

50I declare to you, brothers, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. 51Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed— 52in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. 53For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality. 54When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: "Death has been swallowed up in victory."

Bacon said:
As a rule, people love dogma more than they care about truth because dogma makes them feel secure. You have proved no different so far so I doubt that you can hear this. But here it is, just in case.

Re 21:3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.​

Now it being true that the body will become a spiritual body how is that God will have need to live on dry land with His people who are now in a spiritual form? I have no argument that God will make heavens and a new earth. It may be that Jesus Christ and all humans will live on this new Earth, but that doesn't mean it is a neccessity!

I am able to know that you love your own dogma,

Rob

RobE

An answer to Bacon for Post #3104

An answer to Bacon for Post #3104

Romans 8:1Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, 2because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death. 3For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in sinful man, 4in order that the righteous requirements of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the sinful nature but according to the Spirit.

Hebrews 1: 1In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, 2but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe. 3The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven. 4So he became as much superior to the angels as the name he has inherited is superior to theirs.
5For to which of the angels did God ever say,
"You are my Son;
today I have become your Father"? Or again,
"I will be his Father,
and he will be my Son"? 6And again, when God brings his firstborn into the world, he says,
"Let all God's angels worship him." 7In speaking of the angels he says,
"He makes his angels winds,
his servants flames of fire." 8But about the Son he says,
"Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever,
and righteousness will be the scepter of your kingdom.

9You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness;
therefore God, your God, has set you above your companions
by anointing you with the oil of joy."[f] 10He also says,
"In the beginning, O Lord, you laid the foundations of the earth,
and the heavens are the work of your hands.
11They will perish, but you remain;
they will all wear out like a garment.
12You will roll them up like a robe;
like a garment they will be changed.
But you remain the same,
and your years will never end."[g] 13To which of the angels did God ever say,
"Sit at my right hand
until I make your enemies
a footstool for your feet"[h]? 14Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?​

What does this mean '8But about the Son he says,
?

God calls the Son 'God'. Hmmmm....
Rob

Last edited:

Bacon

Mind reader?

Mind reader?

Hi RobE...

You cite Rev 2:23 to prove that the god can read minds.

First of all, what bogus "translation" are you using?? The Greek says that Jesus "investigates the kidneys and the hearts." As I pointed out, the Hebrews were materialists and believed that all phenomenon were based in the material world. Unfortunately they did not know anatomy. Apparently, neither does Jesus. If he did, he would not look in the kidneys for a person's motives, nor in their heart for their thoughts.

Jesus has received this revelation from the god, therefore, from verse 1, we know that Jesus is not "omniscient."

1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, ***which God gave unto him***, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

We know from Acts 1 that the father has not given Jesus authority over times and seasons:

Ac 1:7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.

He has not even given him the specifics beyond the revelation:

Mr 13:32 But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father.

Now why would someone omniscient need to be taught and learn?:

Joh 8:38 I speak that which I have seen with my Father: and ye do that which ye have seen with your father.

Joh 15:15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.

Getting back to the text... What does it say? It says that Jesus (see verse 13 and 27) enquires the "reins" and the "hearts."

If I enquire, then I don't know.

How does one enquire about one's motives and thoughts? Testing reveals them:

De 8:2 And thou shalt remember all the way which the LORD thy God led thee these forty years in the wilderness, to humble thee, and to prove thee, to know what was in thine heart, whether thou wouldest keep his commandments, or no.

This is what he did with Abraham:

Ge 22:12 And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.

God's principle of justice is that no one is judged by the secrets of their "hearts", rather the secrets of their "hearts" is judged by their words and actions:

Mt 12:
33 Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit.
34 O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.
35 A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.
36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Re 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of **those things which were written in the books, according to their works**.

This is just judgement.

You also cite John 1:1-3 and 1:14 to show that Jesus was the incarnation of a person named "the Word." The problem is that the word is not referred to as a "he" but as an "it." The word referred to that was in the beginning with the god was the "Let there be..." of Gen 1. Who is the light of men? It is the life that was generated by the word. The word dwelled in the life of Jesus, the man/flesh that was generated by the word:

Joh 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

Joh 14:10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? ***the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself***: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

As to this...again, what bogus translation are you using??

Joh 14:15John testifies concerning him. He cries out, saying,
"This was he of whom I said,
'He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.' "
16From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another.
17For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.
18No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only, who is at the Father's side, has made him known.[/indent][/indent]

Note that John actually says something to the effect of "the one who is my follower has surpassed me because he is more important than I."

Verse 18 really says "No one has ever seen the god at any time. The one who is [currently being] in the bosom of the father has expounded him."

To refute that Jesus was a man, a sinner, you cited the irrelevant Heb 7:11.

You added: Shouldn't you add 'Where is the Holy Spirit?'? and answered:

My answer: Together and separate. In the world and in heaven. In me and outside of me.

I would say that this is one of the unique things about breath - it is my breath, your breath, in me, out of me, etc, As I pointed out, they thought that the breath was intelligent, just like the heart and the kidnyes...:

1 Cor 2:
10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit [breath]: for the Spirit [breath] searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit [breath] of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit [breath] of God.
12 Now we have received, not the spirit [breath] of the world, but the spirit [breath] which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man’s wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

What is the "breath of the world?"

Eph 2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air [of] the spirit [breath] that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

Bacon

Science...

Science...

RobE said:
Gen. 1: 1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.​

Heavens is correct, not heaven. Agreed that the atmosphere is one heaven, but not all 'heavens'.

Again, what bogus "translation" are you using?? The Greek has TON OURANON, which is singular. But note that the Hebrew has ELOHIM for "god" which is plural in form but singular in meaning (though some think Gen is based on a manuscript that origianally posited many gods). So also the "face of the deep" is PANIM, also plural in form but singular in meaning. "Skies" and "Sky" are synonymous, though later ideas, that influenced the later scriptures, did include the idea of various levels of emenations. But that does not change the current issue - that the god lives in the sky - at all, since Jesus clearly physically flew rocket-like UP into the sky.

You wrote: It had never rained on Earth and the sky appeared different, and the land was changed in the deluge.

It said "It had not yet rained..." but the original specs of the firmament are given:

Ge 1:6 And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
Ge 1:7 And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.
Ge 1:8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.
Ge 1:14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
Ge 1:15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
Ge 1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,
Ge 1:20 And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.

You wrote: Paul would write based on Paul's perspective.

I thought Paul was supposed to write from the god's perspective? So the writings of Paul and Moses are just human ignorance? And what about when John quotes Jesus speaking about inquiring into kidneys? Is that John's ignorance or Jesus'?

You wrote: Which makes sense. However, it doesn't account for man's apparent obsession with astrology and the possibility that there is some validity to the ordering of the stars just as there is within nature everywhere. The Sumerians certainly sought this knowledge which caused God to intervene at the tower of Babel. I hope I spelled Sumerians correctly.

So you think astrology is correct? Or does Matthew's writing just reflect Matthew's 'perspective" and does not interfere with divine reliability somehow?

You wrote: No. I believe a Spiritual man, who was given a physical body, inherited a "spirit" kingdom.

Meaning "made of spirit?" Was Jesus a "spirit man" or a physical man? He claimed to not be a spirit but to have flesh and bones. He ate a physical fish to prove it. Then he flew up to the sky to get next to the god.

You wrote: And to denounce the Holy Spirit is unforgivable according to scripture.....[
Matthew 12:32
Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.​

The point of the passage is that Jesus, the man, was not the important one, but rather his words, the gospel.

You wrote: Which Open Theist's must assert is true; as far as God's mental abilities goes. No one has said that God is like the Greek and Roman false deities in physical form though. How would one describe a spiritual form? It's impossible. So, God must be described in terms that are understood by the writer and reader. Those forms would be what would allow us to have understanding. Figures of speech to make comprehension possible.

So we must guess what he could not say, and ignore what he did say because the god is incapable of describing a spirit world, which is what is really true? How many other things must we second guess? God didn't know the word "Trinity" so he said there was one god, the father? And we have to ignore that and know intuitively what the words could not express?

You are losing your grip on scripture in order to cling more tightly to tradition.

Bacon

RobE - which "translation?"

Rob, you keep quoting a translation that is way off. Which one is it?

You asked:

What does this mean '8But about the Son he says,
?
God calls the Son 'God'. Hmmmm....

This is parallelism and should be read as the Diaglot renders it:

Heb 1:8 concerning but the son: The throne of thee the god for the age of the ages; a sceptre of rectitude the sceptre of the kingdom of thee.

In other words, the god is his throne [authority], righteousness his sceptre [authority].

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
Bacon,

I struggled with the Trinity vs a Unity for a number of years, but even though some of my inlaws, who I esteemed very highly, did not believe in the trinity, I wrestled with the problems they presented and came to the conclusion that the Son was, and is, God.

Why is the Son called Immanuel, which is translated, “God with us” if He was not God with us? Mat 1:23 “Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,” which is translated, “God with us.

When Satan was tempting the Son, was He, the Son, God? In answer to Satan’s last question in Luke 4:12, Christ answered with this: Luke 4:12 And Jesus answered and said to him, “It has been said, ‘You shall not tempt the LORD your God.’” Was the Son really “the LORD your God.”?

We all know John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. It still says “the Word was God”, whether you want to make this God a lesser God or accept it as a deity statement. If He was a God, you know the Scripture says there is only one God.

How can the Son be, even, a God, if He is not God? That would make 2 Gods. God says there is only one God. Because I believe God manifests Himself as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, He is still one God.

Heb 1:5,6 For to which of the angels did He ever say: “You are My Son, today I have begotten You”? And again: “I will be to Him a Father, and He shall be to Me a Son”? 6 But when He again brings the firstborn into the world, He says: “Let all the angels of God worship Him.” If Christ was not God, why would the Father say, “Let all the angels of God worship Him.” Shouldn’t the angels worship only the Father?

Heb 1:7-9 And of the angels He says: “Who makes His angels spirits and His ministers a flame of fire.” 8 But to the Son He says: “Your throne, O God, is forever and ever; A scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom. 9 You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness; Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You With the oil of gladness more than Your companions.”

Why does the Father say to the Son, “Your throne, O God, is forever and ever”, if the Son is not God?

In Christ,
Bob Hill

Bacon

Trinity anchor will pull you down

Trinity anchor will pull you down

There is a phenomenon in the human mind called "anchoring." If I ask you if you think that the Mississippi River is shorter or longer than 50,000 miles, then ask you how long you think it is, you will give a bigger number than if, assuming you don't know the real length, I first ask you if the river is shorter or longer than 300 miles. Your mind gets "anchored" in the direction of the original question.

When reading scripture, people first learn from trusted advisers that "God is a Trinity, Three co-equal in majesty..." etc, and then later try to read the scriptures. Lo and behold, they see in the direction of the originally fed dogma. It is remarkably predictable psychology. This is why, statistically, the children of people of a certain religion or sect tend to see things not too differently from their parents, or at least their society. This is a major factor in you being Catholic/Protestant rather than Buddhist or Hindu or Muslim. You are convinced of your utter objectivity, but for the external observer, the fact that you get a Trinity as a primary and clear doctrine from a book that only mentions one trinity, and that is the 666 on the forehead of the antichrist. It took centuries to formulate "3 Persons in One God" and it is, in fact, an absurdity, contrary to all of nature. Yet, millions amazingly see this as "the easiest way to deal with difficult texts such as John 1:1."

Anyway, let's look at the "incontestible scriptural proof of Trinity," shall we?

Bob Hill said:
Bacon,
I struggled with the Trinity vs a Unity for a number of years, but even though some of my inlaws, who I esteemed very highly, did not believe in the trinity, I wrestled with the problems they presented and came to the conclusion that the Son was, and is, God.
Why is the Son called Immanuel, which is translated, “God with us” if He was not God with us? Mat 1:23 “Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,” which is translated, “God with us.

There is more than one way for someone to be "with" people besides physical. Here are a couple of verses that do not indicate physical proximity or being birthed into the household:

Ge 21:20 And God was with the child, and he grew and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.
Ge 26:28 And they said, We have surely seen that the Lord was with thee, and we said, Let there be an oath between us and thee, and we will make a covenant with thee,

Semitic people observe a practice of incorporating the name of their deity, whether Allah or El or Jehovah, or what have you into the names of their offspring.

This is a much more straightforward explanation than that the son of the god was the god himself, reincarnated, no?

Bob Hill said:
When Satan was tempting the Son, was He, the Son, God? In answer to Satan’s last question in Luke 4:12, Christ answered with this: Luke 4:12 And Jesus answered and said to him, “It has been said, ‘You shall not tempt the LORD your God.’” Was the Son really “the LORD your God.”?

We all know John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. It still says “the Word was God”, whether you want to make this God a lesser God or accept it as a deity statement. If He was a God, you know the Scripture says there is only one God.

How can the Son be, even, a God, if He is not God? That would make 2 Gods. God says there is only one God. Because I believe God manifests Himself as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, He is still one God.

Heb 1:5,6 For to which of the angels did He ever say: “You are My Son, today I have begotten You”? And again: “I will be to Him a Father, and He shall be to Me a Son”? 6 But when He again brings the firstborn into the world, He says: “Let all the angels of God worship Him.” If Christ was not God, why would the Father say, “Let all the angels of God worship Him.” Shouldn’t the angels worship only the Father?

Heb 1:7-9 And of the angels He says: “Who makes His angels spirits and His ministers a flame of fire.” 8 But to the Son He says: “Your throne, O God, is forever and ever; A scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom. 9 You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness; Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You With the oil of gladness more than Your companions.”

Why does the Father say to the Son, “Your throne, O God, is forever and ever”, if the Son is not God?

In Christ,
Bob Hill

The devil, like Jesus, was essentially a man. Jesus was a man. The devil was testing him to see if he actually was the son of the god. He attempted to persuade him to test the god by casting himself from a high point of the temple - to see if the god would save him. Jesus refused to do this because to do so would be to "put the lord [Jehovah, who is] your god to a test." Now that you have a simpler understanding [the real meaning of the text] will you change your view? Of course not.

Ok - "this day I have begotten you." Doesn't that scream "not eternally begotten?" To a rational mind, it would.

"Let all the angels of god worship him" is a quote from the LXX that does not read the same in the Hebrew. This is another example where the inappropriateness of the Hebrew text is demonstrated. The relevant text to christianity is the LXX, though Christianity has abandoned it in preference to the Masoretic text - a Hebrew text from a thousand years later. Here is the passage. See the last verse:

Deut 32:
1 ¶ Attend, O heaven, and I will speak; and let the earth hear the words out of my mouth.
2 Let my speech be looked for as the rain, and my words come down as dew, as the shower upon the herbage, and as snow upon the grass.
3 For I have called on the name of the Lord: assign ye greatness to our God.
4 As for God, his works are true, and all his ways are {1} judgment: God is faithful, and there is no unrighteousness in him; just and holy is the Lord. {1) Gr. judgments}
5 They have sinned, not pleasing him; spotted children, a froward and perverse generation.
6 Do ye thus recompense the Lord? is the people thus foolish and unwise? did not he himself thy father purchase thee, and make thee, and form thee?
7 ¶ Remember the days of old, consider the years {1} for past ages: ask thy father, and he shall relate to thee, thine elders, and they shall tell thee. {1) Gr. in ages of ages}
8 When the Most High divided the nations, when he separated the sons of Adam, he set the bounds of the nations according to the number of the angels of God.
9 And his people Jacob became the portion of the Lord, Israel was the line of his inheritance.
10 He maintained him in the wilderness, in burning thirst and a dry land: he led him about and instructed him, and kept him as the apple of an eye.
11 As an eagle would watch over his brood, and yearns over his young, receives them having spread his wings, and takes them up on his back:
12 the Lord alone led them, there was no strange god with them.
13 He brought them up on the strength of the land; he fed them with the fruits of the fields; they sucked honey out of the rock, and oil out of the solid rock.
14 Butter of cows, and milk of sheep, with the fat of lambs and rams, of calves and kids, with fat of kidneys of wheat; and he drank wine, the blood of the grape.
15 ¶ So Jacob ate and was filled, and the beloved one kicked; he grew fat, he became thick and broad: then he forsook the God that made him, and departed from God his Saviour.
16 They provoked me to anger with strange gods; with their abominations they bitterly angered me.
17 They sacrificed to devils, and not to God; to gods whom they knew not: new and fresh gods came in, whom their fathers knew not.
18 Thou hast forsaken God that begot thee, and forgotten God who feeds thee.
19 ¶ And the Lord saw, and was jealous; and was provoked by the anger of his sons and daughters,
20 and said, I will turn away my face from them, and will show what shall happen to them in the last days; for it is a perverse generation, sons in whom is no faith.
21 {1} They have provoked me to jealousy with that which is not God, they have exasperated me with their idols; and I will provoke them to jealousy with them that are no nation, I will anger them with a nation void of understanding. {1) Ro 10:19}
22 For a fire has been kindled out of my wrath, it shall burn to hell below; it shall devour the land, and the fruits of it; it shall set on fire the foundations of the mountains.
23 I will gather evils upon them, and will {1} fight with my weapons against them. {1) Gr. cause my weapons to war together against them}
24 They shall be consumed with hunger and the devouring of birds, and there shall be irremediable {1} destruction: I will send forth against them the teeth of wild beasts, with the rage of serpents creeping on the ground. {1) Gr. downfall, or falling away}
25 Without, the sword shall bereave them of children, and terror shall issue out of the secret chambers; the young man shall perish with the virgin, the suckling with him who has grown old.
26 ¶ I said, I will scatter them, and I will cause their memorial to cease from among men.
27 Were it not for the wrath of the enemy, lest they should live long, lest their enemies should combine against them; lest they should say, Our own high arm, and not the Lord, has done all these things.
28 It is a nation that has lost counsel, neither is there understanding in them.
29 They had not sense to understand: let them reserve these things against the time to come.
30 How {1} should one pursue a thousand, and two rout tens of thousands, if God had not sold them, and the Lord delivered them up? {1) Gr. shall}
31 For their gods are not as our God, but our enemies are void of understanding.
32 For their vine is of the vine of Sodom, and their vine–branch of Gomorrha: their grape is a grape of gall, their cluster is one of bitterness.
33 Their wine is the rage of serpents, and the incurable rage of asps.
34 Lo! are not these things stored up by me, and sealed among my treasures?
35 In the day of vengeance {1} I will recompense, whensoever their foot shall be tripped up; for the day of their destruction is near to them, and the judgments at hand are close upon you. {1) Ro 12:19}
36 For the Lord shall judge his people, and shall be comforted over his servants; for he saw that they were {1} utterly weakened, and failed in the hostile invasion, and were become feeble: {1) Gr. paralyzed}
37 and the Lord said, Where are their gods on whom they trusted?
38 the fat of whose sacrifices ye ate, and ye drank the wine of their drink–offerings? let them arise and help you, and be your protectors.
39 ¶ Behold, behold that I am he, and there is no god beside me: I kill, and I will make to live: I will smite, and I will heal; and there is none who shall deliver out of my hands.
40 For I will lift up my hand to heaven, and swear by my right hand, and I will say, I live for ever.
41 For I will sharpen my sword like lightning, and my hand shall take hold of judgment; and I will render judgment to my enemies, and will recompense them that hate me.
42 I will make my weapons drunk with blood, and my sword shall devour flesh, it shall glut itself with the blood of the wounded, and from the captivity of the {1} heads of their enemies that rule over them. {1) Alex. eynwn, Gentiles}
43 Rejoice, ye heavens, with him, and let all the angels of God worship him; {1} rejoice ye Gentiles, with his people, and let all the sons of God strengthen themselves in him; for he will avenge the blood of his sons, and he will render vengeance, and recompense justice to his enemies, and will reward them that hate him; and the Lord shall purge the land of his people. {1) Ro 15:10}

In the original context, the "son" was Jacob (Israel) whom the lord is returning from captivity.

The point for Hebrews is that being a son is a high, high position. Even angels were to do Jacob obeisance in this song. This did not make Jakob out to be a "member" of the one true god. Again, this is all information that is right there in the scripture - if only people weren't so "anchored" in the direction of folly!

And I have already pointed out that "your throne [is] the god/your sceptre is righteousness" is all that is meant - obvious from the parallelism of this psalm.

If you had been "anchored" to believe that Jacob was the god, you would have had your "proof" in the one verse of Deut 32:43. But an honest reading, unbiased, has a simpler explanation. And Ocam's Razor dictates that we not leap into a bizarre redefinition of the god. Jesus did not come to change the object of worship:

Joh 4:22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.

Jesus worships the god.

Joh 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

1Jo 5:20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.

Paul explicitly declares that the father is the one god:

1Co 8:6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

With such abundant proof, why are you so easily swayed into an absurd position by a couple of difficult passages, none of which teach that the one true god is actually three.

There is not even a single verse of scripture that says that the god is three in one, that Jesus is the god, that "the Holy Spirit" is the god or that they are "co-equal in majesty."

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I just do come to the same conclusion as Bacon. You can not fix some sort of physical standard to something "omnipitent".

Jesus saying I and my father are one, is all I really need to know.

RobE

Bacon said:
First of all, what bogus "translation" are you using?? The Greek says that Jesus "investigates the kidneys and the hearts." As I pointed out, the Hebrews were materialists and believed that all phenomenon were based in the material world. Unfortunately they did not know anatomy. Apparently, neither does Jesus. If he did, he would not look in the kidneys for a person's motives, nor in their heart for their thoughts.

Jesus has received this revelation from the god, therefore, from verse 1, we know that Jesus is not "omniscient."

And again. When the scripture was written it used the language of the day. Even until the relative recent past people believed that the kidneys were believed to hold what we consider the soul. John received the revelation as the original title suggests.

Ac 1:7,Mr 13:32, and Joh 8:38 I speak that which I have seen with my Father: and ye do that which ye have seen with your father..... speak of Jesus(God) after the incarnation. The statement 'I have seen with my Father tells us that your understanding is incomplete. If Jesus was previously with His Father, then it supports our interpretation of John 1.

John 14:18No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only, who is at the Father's side, has made him known

Your own defense provides further proof for the translation of John 1. If you search I believe you will find that 'spirit' and 'breath' will be revealed as the same word which should lead you to further proof of the correct translation of John 1.

Bacon said:
You wrote: Paul would write based on Paul's perspective.

I thought Paul was supposed to write from the god's perspective? So the writings of Paul and Moses are just human ignorance? And what about when John quotes Jesus speaking about inquiring into kidneys? Is that John's ignorance or Jesus'?

Paul writes of God's intent from Paul's perspective. This is why there are four different gospels with somewhat different story lines. Each writer shades the story with His own perspective(viewpoint). The underlying meaning remains constant. God's son, who is God, became a man to redeem ALL mankind; so that mankind might attain everlasting spiritual life. Flesh begets flesh, Spirit begets spirit as it says in John. And then Jesus returned to the Father from which He came after His specified purpose was accomplished.

Bacon said:
Meaning "made of spirit?" Was Jesus a "spirit man" or a physical man? He claimed to not be a spirit but to have flesh and bones. He ate a physical fish to prove it. Then he flew up to the sky to get next to the god.

Jesus was a "spirit man" if you want to accept that Jesus was fully God, and Jesus was fully man. I mis-stated when I said that 'Jesus was a spiritual man, which was given a physical body'. My statement should have been that God is Spirit and He became fully Man by putting on a physical body and being born.

He certainly wasn't just a man which attained.....this was impossible as the scripture puts forward.

Hebrews 7:11If perfection could have been attained through the Levitical priesthood (for on the basis of it the law was given to the people), why was there still need for another priest to come—one in the order of Melchizedek, not in the order of Aaron?​

Rob wrote: Which Open Theist's must assert is true; as far as God's mental abilities goes. No one has said that God is like the Greek and Roman false deities in physical form though. How would one describe a spiritual form? It's impossible. So, God must be described in terms that are understood by the writer and reader. Those forms would be what would allow us to have understanding. Figures of speech to make comprehension possible.

BACON: So we must guess what he could not say, and ignore what he did say because the god is incapable of describing a spirit world, which is what is really true? How many other things must we second guess? God didn't know the word "Trinity" so he said there was one god, the father? And we have to ignore that and know intuitively what the words could not express?​

The writer must express what God said using the writer's native language. Language isn't precise as you well know. The writer was able to express that a spirit world is really true and what we need to be concerned with first. God didn't know the word "Trinity" because there was no word "Trinity" to be written down when the scripture was written. There is one God. And yes we have to 'believe' in order to have understanding because the things of the spiritual world are not 'apparent' to us. We can not 'see' them. Anyone is able to believe what he sees, but it requires faith to believe what you can't see. Someone said this once.

You are losing your grip on scripture in order to cling more tightly to tradition.​

Even Satan knows the scripture. It doesn't mean that he accepts those truths. If you read the myths surrounding ancient false religions you will see that they all have one thing in common. The humanization of the deities. Christianity, who worships a God who became human for a purpose, is focused on sprituality; and therefore, a Spiritual God. All things, as the scriptures report, which are physical will pass away. As for the writers of Bible I must ask you, "Are all historical facts recorded by the writers or just facts which pertain to themselves?"

When you get a grip on the context then maybe the message of the content will become clearer to you.

Rob

Bacon

One

One

Nick M said:
I just do come to the same conclusion as Bacon. You can not fix some sort of physical standard to something "omnipitent".
Jesus saying I and my father are one, is all I really need to know.

I believe what you are saying is that all it takes in order for you to strain out scripture that says the Jesus was conceived and made of the seed of David, was a man, a sinner, begotten by the god, died, was raised by the god, and sits next to the god, and to swallow the camel of Trinity - that Jesus is the god, is the single verse "I and my father are one?"

Then maybe you think believers are also divine, because they are to be one with the god in the same way (unity of purpose) as Jesus:

Joh 17:11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.
Joh 17:22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

You need to be less gullible.

Bacon

Seen with your father

Seen with your father

RobE said:
...Ac 1:7,Mr 13:32, and Joh 8:38 I speak that which I have seen with my Father: and ye do that which ye have seen with your father..... speak of Jesus(God) after the incarnation. The statement 'I have seen with my Father tells us that your understanding is incomplete. If Jesus was previously with His Father, then it supports our interpretation of John 1....

Note the whole verse. In the second part Jesus claims that the Jews have "seen with their father" the behavior they imitate:

38 ¶ I speak that which I have seen with my Father: and ye do that which ye have seen with your father.

In your understanding, does this make them imitating the behavior of the devil in their past lives? Before they were re-incarnated?

3708 oraw horao hor-ah’-o

properly, to stare at [cf 3700]; TDNT-5:315,706; v

AV-see 51, take heed 5, behold 1, perceive 1, not tr 1; 59

1) to see with the eyes
2) to see with the mind, to perceive, know
3) to see, i.e. become acquainted with by experience, to experience
4) to see, to look to
4a) to take heed, beware
4b) to care for, pay heed to
5) I was seen, showed myself, appeared

For Synonyms see entry 5822

I go by the handle "Bacon" for a reason. I am a fan of Sir Francis Bacon. He wrote in his Novo Organum principles of science that helped bring us out of the pre-scientific into the scientific age. Among the principles was that of seeking to disprove our theories rather than prop them up. A single experiment that fails to support our theory is sufficient to blow it out of the water. The old practice (still practiced by many) was for scientists to find ways to support and prove the dogmas of the Church, such as the geo-centric view of the universe.

People who are convinced by dogma and seek the approval of their society want ever so badly to prop up the Trinity with any and every specious argument and proof. They ignore those verses that say what they do not want to accept. This is why the "Church" is still in the dark ages of even religious study, while the rest of the world is bursting with daily new insights through often non-intuitive observations.

Since I began to approach bible study in this way I have never lacked for new insights.

RobE

Bacon said:
Note the whole verse. In the second part Jesus claims that the Jews have "seen with their father" the behavior they imitate:

38 ¶ I speak that which I have seen with my Father: and ye do that which ye have seen with your father.

In your understanding, does this make them imitating the behavior of the devil in their past lives? Before they were re-incarnated?

Great! I'm glad that I took the time to answer your posts with sincerity even though you have failed to address any of the objections to your position except this one.

My response.

No it is my understanding that Jesus was telling them that they imitated their father the devil in their current lives, just as Jesus imitated His Father which was with Him currently and in the past. Remember John? In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God............and that word came into the world.........I, John was sent........etc.....

Sir Bacon would have undoubtedly stopped reading your first post mid-sentence and continued on with others. I have more patience. Has all your searching produced no 'seed' in your understanding of that which you seek?

Proverbs of Dogs,
Rob

Bacon

RobE said:
Great! I'm glad that I took the time to answer your posts with sincerity even though you have failed to address any of the objections to your position except this one.

My response.

Perhaps you will do likewise and take the time to tell me which "translation" you are using because you consistently post citing a terribly butchered translation. It makes responding to your posts require that I first correct the translation, which I have been largely unwilling to do.

Answer which translation you cite, and then show me any of your positions that you still think are vindicated and I will address them. Until you answer that I see no reason to respond further, since there is no mystery in why you reach such wrong conclusions operating from such a faulty premise.

Status
Not open for further replies.