And Jesus Said Unto Paul of Ryan ...

quip

BANNED
Banned
As for quip....most people find they need help from time to time....perhaps, but the numbers are far greater now than in the past for reasons I just stated.

Once help is sought, it's bearing on self reliance is moot if there was absolutely nothing a person could have done in foresight to prevent it.

Perhaps. Yet, your solution is in need of a practical apparatus...what do people currently in need do in the interim?

Last edited:

ClimateSanity

If you're paying taxes in submission to civil authorities, it can hardly be called robbery. After all, you're doing what you're Biblically admonished to do, right?

1 Peter 2:13-17

Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every human authority: whether to the emperor, as the supreme authority, 14 or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right. 15 For it is God’s will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish people. 16 Live as free people, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as God’s slaves. 17 Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor.
Give to Caesar what is Caesars. To apply this verse to taxes demands that our labor or indeed the essence of us that is capable of profits is owned by the state. I refuse. I'm not a slave.

Sent from my XT1254 using TheologyOnline mobile app

Danoh

So what makes sex not rape?

What makes a job not slavery?

What makes a transaction not robbery?

Mutual consent.

The necessarily one-sided awareness that it should be viewed only as a temporary stepping stone to striking out on one's own, if one is to ever really end up at "job security."

See the second answer.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
GOP health plan: Bad news for the old and poor

The best news in the CBO report is for the highest-earning Americans. The CBO estimates that the tax cuts in the bill for people earning a quarter of a million dollars or more a year ($200,000 for single filers) will come to $274 billion dollars over 10 years.

]​

Good deal. then lower corporate taxes because they all own stock and the market rising makes them more money. Then cut high earner tax to a flat 10% and they have more money.

Then when they get too old to care for themselves they can buy a nursing home, rather than have to pay to live in one. They pay the staff, so they get whatever they want. Then they use the place as a big tax write-off.

As it is, look out now market drops!​

pondsbb

Mutual consent.

The necessarily one-sided awareness that it should be viewed only as a temporary stepping stone to striking out on one's own, if one is to ever really end up at "job security."

See the second answer.
Forced insurance in the name of " charity", through a Robin Hood type situation, is pure evil in sheep's clothing.

Sent from my RCT6303W87DK using Tapatalk

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Forced insurance in the name of " charity", through a Robin Hood type situation, is pure evil in sheep's clothing.
What makes that objectively true? We're forced (in the sense that a law requires us) to do all sorts of things we might be disinclined to do that work a palpable good. The Amish don't want an army. Some people want to drive 100 mph to the store for eggs. No compact can survive that though and we need one to thrive.

On taxes for anything, the truth is that all of us are in each other's pocket. The Darwinian alternative isn't arguably more moral, or moral at all.

pondsbb

What makes that objectively true? We're forced (in the sense that a law requires us) to do all sorts of things we might be disinclined to do that work a palpable good. The Amish don't want an army. Some people want to drive 100 mph to the store for eggs. No compact can survive that though and we need one to thrive.

On taxes for anything, the truth is that all of us are in each other's pocket. The Darwinian alternative isn't arguably more moral, or moral at all.
Nothing in the United States Declaration of Independence or Bill of Rights guarantees that government has responsibility to improve the condition of all citizens.

The U.S. Constitution talks of promoting general welfare and the government’s rights to levy and collect taxes in a uniform manner to accomplish it.

Heathcare has now been changed to forced “implementing” specific welfare and is a tool of acting to try and transform America into the Obama administration's Alinsky inspired ideology.

If you can't grasp that, I can't make it any clearer.

Sent from my RCT6303W87DK using Tapatalk

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Nothing in the United States Declaration of Independence or Bill of Rights guarantees that government has responsibility to improve the condition of all citizens.

The U.S. Constitution talks of promoting general welfare and the government’s rights to levy and collect taxes in a uniform manner to accomplish it.
It does indeed.

Heathcare has now been changed to forced “implementing” specific welfare and is a tool of acting to try and transform America into the Obama administration's Alinsky inspired ideology.

If you can't grasp that, I can't make it any clearer.
Thanks for giving me insight into your thinking. I don't have any problem understanding it. I just don't agree with it. Good health care is like preventative maintenance. It saves you money in the long run. And the millions who lacked it were still filling emergency rooms when their conditions were less easily and inexpensively treatable. Most charitable notions serve us in the long term. One of the really curious and remarkable things about the good is how it tends to enrich in unexpected ways.

drbrumley

The law requires us......oh yeah, that line. The law makes no one do anything. It's just which fight one chooses to take on.

drbrumley

What if ObamaCare were fire insurance? It would be very special. You could buy a policy after a smoke detector in your home started blaring.

:rotfl:

drbrumley

This government-rigged insurance program is like a four-alarm fire. What is on fire is the public’s freedom of choice in the health-care delivery system.
Where’s the fire department? The toll-free line is busy. Call back later.

:rotfl:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
How many liberals look after the sick or needy on this site: 0

Liberals will help the poor so long as it isn't with their own money.
There's a liberal tax exemption on the long form, is there? :plain:

They have a Robin Hood complex and call it charity.
That's the right wing fantasy, to be sure. The left wing fantasy is that conservatives care about two things, how much they have and how much they can keep.

As with most fantasies, they aren't realistic even if they have elements of truth to them. They tend to fall apart under anything like scrutiny the way your initial faux statistic and the assertion it was meant to support did when I asked the obvious question.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The law requires us......oh yeah, that line.
That truth. You aren't suggesting the law is mostly a well intentioned suggestion, are you?

The law makes no one do anything. It's just which fight one chooses to take on.
Not sure what fight you're starting there. Let me bring you up to speed on my position. Laws are like locks. They influence essentially honest people and make the dishonest consider an easier alternative. There are laws that compel us to considerations and laws we simply agree with. Most laws serve our own interest and fall into the second category. Some inconvenience us even as we realize they serve that interest and we make choices about the extent of our abiding by them (say, speed limits on the interstate). Those choices tend to entail risk/reward and our ability to bear the consequence without endangering our relative prosperity. Some laws offend us, work contrary to what we believe is our or the right and we resist them or not, by one means or the next. For most that means using the mechanism of the law to oppose.

That's a quick thumbnail, at any rate.

drbrumley

Repealing Obummercare In Less Than 40 Words
Becky Akers

Thirty-eight, to be precise:

“Effective as of Dec. 31, 2017, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act is repealed, and the provisions of law amended or repealed by such Act are restored or revived as if such Act had not been enacted.”

That trenchant knock-out comes from “U.S. Rep. Mo Brooks, R-Huntsville,” who “introduced the bill Friday.”
This paragon of few but hard-hitting words also “challenged his fellow lawmakers in Washington to sign the discharge petition that would bring the bill out of committee, where it otherwise could be left to die. Brooks’ bill has no co-sponsors at this point. ‘If the American people want to repeal Obamacare, this is their last, best chance during the 115th Congress,’ Brooks said. ‘Those Congressmen who are sincere about repealing Obamacare may prove it by signing the discharge petition.'”
Please, Freedom Caucus, support this legislation as vehemently as you rejected–and rightly–the Establishment’s sop to the insurance lobby.

drbrumley

That truth. You aren't suggesting the law is mostly a well intentioned suggestion, are you?

Not sure what fight you're starting there. Let me bring you up to speed on my position. Laws are like locks. They influence essentially honest people and make the dishonest consider an easier alternative. There are laws that compel us to considerations and laws we simply agree with. Most laws serve our own interest and fall into the second category. Some inconvenience us even as we realize they serve that interest and we make choices about the extent of our abiding by them (say, speed limits on the interstate). Those choices tend to entail risk/reward and our ability to bear the consequence without endangering our relative prosperity. Some laws offend us, work contrary to what we believe is our or the right and we resist them or not, by one means or the next. For most that means using the mechanism of the law to oppose.

That's a quick thumbnail, at any rate.

Once again, you show by this post; force, and nothing of justice....

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Once again, you show by this post; force, and nothing of justice....
Where I'd say you meet a reasoned proffer with a bumper sticker insult which isn't an accurate reflection of anything but your bias.

Just curious Town....do you believe in consent of the governed or is that just a fairy tale to you?
Just curious in return, db, what is needed for you to consider consent given? Because in this republic the laws are enacted by representatives of the constituency they serve.