And Jesus Said Unto Paul of Ryan ...

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
Jesus - Mark 12:17 And Jesus said to them, "Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's." And they were amazed at Him.

You liberals seem to think Caesar is your God, thats your problem.

Jesus even made it easy and separated it for you. Taxes are for security and infastructure, not for charity so it can be mixed with secular agendas - murders, transgederism, theft, drugs, etc.. all things against God.
Would Jesus have objected if Caesar had used tax money for charitable works?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Would Jesus have objected if Caesar had used tax money for charitable works?

Matthew 7:22 Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you workers of lawlessness.’

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
Matthew 7:22 Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you workers of lawlessness.’
Doesn't answer the question - Caesar would not be contributing to charitable works in God's name!

Atheists can find value in contributing to charitable works with no intention of seeking God's approval.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Doesn't answer the question!

How doesnt it? Jesus would be concerned with what they did for Him, are you maintaining that liberals and secular government claim to be doing what it does to honor Christ with tax money?

We are suppose to give to the church, and the church to those in need, Jesus clearly separated what is Gods and what is governments. Did you miss that still?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
How doesnt it? Jesus would be concerned with what they did for Him, are you maintaining that liberals and secular government claim to be doing what it does to honor Christ with tax money?

We are suppose to give to the church, and the church to those in need, Jesus clearly separated what is Gods and what is governments. Did you miss that still?
No, but it's as clever a justification for criticizing public charity as I've seen.

The men who posed the question to Christ were attempting to either trap him into a charge of fomenting rebellion by suggesting people shouldn't pay the tax due to Roman authority, or to turn the people against him by lending his authority to Rome in directing that they pay it (Rome not being particularly popular). Jesus avoided the trap by saying we owe Caesar back his coin and God back what is God's, which isn't a different division of money, but our souls and selves. Christ wasn't really commenting on where and how you spend your money at all.

ClimateSanity

No, but it's as clever a justification for criticizing public charity as I've seen.

The men who posed the question to Christ were attempting to either trap him into a charge of fomenting rebellion by suggesting people shouldn't pay the tax due to Roman authority, or to turn the people against him by lending his authority to Rome in directing that they pay it (Rome not being particularly popular). Jesus avoided the trap by saying we owe Caesar back his coin and God back what is God's, which isn't a different division of money, but our souls and selves. Christ wasn't really commenting on where and how you spend your money at all.
Criticizing government charity doesn't need justification. If you want to really help the poor, government is the worst way to do it. In third world countries, the money is stolen and never gets to the poor. How is 40% return or worse better except by quantity?

Sent from my XT1254 using TheologyOnline mobile app

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Criticizing government charity doesn't need justification.
Any rational criticism requires justification. So it depends on whether you mean to be taken seriously or simply rant.

If you want to really help the poor, government is the worst way to do it.
That's a thesis in need of support. In fact, Medicare alone would be a fine rebuttal. The NIH would be another.

In third world countries, the money is stolen and never gets to the poor.
Then you're likely going to have to wait a little longer for that argument to have traction here.

How is 40% return or worse better except by quantity?
That bone needs meat on it. If I make a 40% return on my IRA I'm going to be clicking heels.

Danoh

A thought, T H...

Actually, that whole thing regarding what was Caesar's and what was God's was a Dispensational issue back then - it has nothing to do with North America some two thousand years later.

Dispensationalism being the issue of economies, or administrations; and their administrations, or stewardships, who such concerns, as to what, under what, when, until when, and so on.

Luke 12:42 And the Lord said, Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom his lord shall make ruler over his household, to give them their portion of meat in due season?

Back then, Israel was under a course or series of punishments from God, for her continued disobedience of Him under Moses, see Daniel's prayer, in Daniel 9, and it was that astounding, vast Roman Empire's turn at bat, for Israel to have to live under, as a foreign power able to dictate their lives on Rome's terms.

Eventually, God ALLOWED Jerusalem's destruction in by Rome in 70AD, when Israel's continued rebellion against God culminated in their rebellion against Rome.

They were supposed to take their courses of punishment per their Covenants with Him at like it; until He said otherwise, again, see Daniel 9.

How long is Israel under said course of punishment?

"Until seventy times seventy" - Matt. 18:22.

Or 490 years, Dan. 9:24.

Which, according to the Apostle Paul; was...temporarily interrupted, Rom. 11:25-29.

That "render to Ceasar" principle has nothing to do with the U.S.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

for angel:

backhanded-compliment.png

drbrumley

Ron Paul said:
Trumpcare was horrific and worse than Obamacare. Good riddance.
However, despite Republican bumbling and incompetence, there is a silver lining to all of this.
As is....Trump has ordered that the IRS not enforce the individual mandate of Obamacare.
Also....Trump has changed the rules for insurance companies so that they can tailor insurance plans to be more in line with consumer desires.
So from a standpoint of liberty and healthcare freedom, things could be a lot worse. The potential to further move in the right direction is also there for the taking.

:up:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
A change of philosophy. A healthy family. A keen involvement in church community. It is hardly taught that poverty is brought about by a long series of choices. The exception is the African-American community.

Once you find yourself in poverty, government is usually the only alternative if you don't already have a strong family and church community.

We don't teach self reliance in this country and it results can be seen in our poverty problem.

One possible solution is to take steps to make the family stronger....yes, a father based family. Scream patriarchy if you must, but it is known to work if the father is responsible and loving.

Sent from my XT1254 using TheologyOnline mobile app
From a self-reliance perspective, what's the difference between going to the gov't for help and going to family or church?

quip

BANNED
Banned
Your aren't being self reliant if you go to either for help. I was talking about teaching self reliance in this country. If we did, there would be less relying on either for help.

Ideally that's great, though even the best of us need help now and again. Thus, the question remains:

From a self-reliance perspective, what's the difference between going to the gov't for help and going to family or church?

ClimateSanity

We don't teach self reliance in this country and it results can be seen in our poverty problem. ...CS.

Our society doesn't teach self reliance. Since we don't, people either don't learn skills that are needed to provide for a family or the value of savings. They also dont learn that some lifestyles and some circles of friends are prone to lead to trouble. Family used to have enough knowledge and wisdom to be able to guide their children through these liabilities.

Since family and our society as a whole doesn't do these things anymore, more and more people find their way into financial trouble.

As for quip....most people find they need help from time to time....perhaps, but the numbers are far greater now than in the past for reasons I just stated.

Once help is sought, it's bearing on self reliance is moot if there was absolutely nothing a person could have done in foresight to prevent it.