ECT Addiction/habitual sin Salvation Hope? No Hope?

Addiction/habitual sin Salvation Hope? No Hope?

• 1) No hope, if still in his/her addiction or worse off

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Danoh

Indicatively?? What's that!? Where is that in scripture?? Rom 5:1 AMP is what happened to the already righteous, both living and dead..

Because of Redemption By Jesus Christ:

". . . . . .we] have [the peace of reconciliation to hold and to enjoy] peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed One)."
Romans 5:1 (AMP)

Try asking HIM what HE'D meant in HIS use of that word...

Danoh

Perhaps access to a dictionary would help with "What's that?" :AMR:

AMR

I just find that, more often than not; what a person had meant by their use of a word may or may not line up with "a dictionary."

One example of countless ones...

Once, while counseling someone who was struggling to overcome an addiction; when I asked them about their experience with that, they actually said to me "that's not the definition of the word 'experience' in the dictionary!"

I blew it off and proceeded, but "experiences" like those have taught me much about the need to ask others what they mean by their use of one word or another, when we end wondering what they meant, that we not conclude we know, and go from there down its own rabbit's hole, lol

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I just find that, more often than not; what a person had meant by their use of a word may or may not line up with "a dictionary."

One example of countless ones...

Once, while counseling someone who was struggling to overcome an addiction; when I asked them about their experience with that, they actually said to me "that's not the definition of the word 'experience' in the dictionary!"

I blew it off and proceeded, but "experiences" like those have taught me much about the need to ask others what they mean by their use of one word or another, when we end wondering what they meant, that we not conclude we know, and go from there down its own rabbit's hole, lol
I agree.

In general, if I use a word with a non-modern understanding, and there are plenty in theological discourse, I will call attention to the instance with plenty laying of pipe before proceeding. As in, "salvation" or "conversion", both of which are almost always synonymous in use by the church divines, yet regularly misunderstood by contemporary folks who would consider them to mean punctiliar events versus the older meaning of the full expression (the golden chain) of God's redemptive plan: foreknowledge, predestination, calling, regeneration, faith, repentance, justification, union to Christ, adoption, sanctification, and glorification. ;)

AMR

Last edited:

Cross Reference

I agree.

In general, if I use a word with a non-modern understanding, and there are plenty in theological discourse, I will call attention to the instance with plenty laying of pipe before proceeding. As in, "salvation" or "conversion", both of which are almost always synonymous in use by the church divines, yet regularly misunderstood by contemporary folks who would consider them to mean punctiliar events versus the older meaning of the full expression (the golden chain) of God's redemptive plan: foreknowledge, predestination, calling, regeneration, faith, repentance, justification, union to Christ, adoption, sanctification, and glorification. ;)

AMR

The redemptive plan of God is on this wise: Convert the mind [evangelism] to what He did because of His love for His creation per Jn 3:16 KJV.. Convert the mind that the one converted asks for the Holy Spirit; [repents] for God's so great salvation that His Life "might" enter into his heart. I say "might" because there may still be an issue of self absorption, not yet empty, not yet surrendered in the one asking. Enter the "patience of God" to await full commitment.

Last edited:

HisServant

The Holy See of course simply answers this very, very good question: sainthood. Anybody can be a saint, and we should strive for it.

Except that the RCC has no clue who God's saints are.... and I can guarantee you that not a single saint that the RCC has canonized is actually one of God's saints.

TIPlatypus

There is always hope. Always. I voted 2 and 3. Because Jesus does not stop you from being addicted. He gives you strength to stop yourself. Nowhere did he say that being Christian is easy. You have to fight still, but God gives you strength.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
When one is drunk, he becomes a different person. The Christian is to be controlled by the spirit (Eph 5:18). If the spirit is in control of a man, then he does not walk according to the flesh (Ga 5:16). If you live according to the flesh you will die (Ro 8:13).

Danoh

If he is in Christ, he will clean up his act (Heb. 9:14). If there has been no radical change in one's life, he is not a Christian. :plain:

Mk 8:34

Contrast how the Apostle Paul refers to the Corinthians as he begins 1 Corinthians 1; with how he refers to them in chapter 3.

The same people...

Saints...yet (not) spiritual...carnal...babes in Christ...still in need of milk...nowhere ready for the meat..and yet...they had all the gifts...

Reflect on this a minute; it does not appear to support your above stated understanding.

When addressing such issues, Paul ever keeps in mind the difference between the Believer's standing (Rom. 5:1-2) and the Believer's state (Rom. 12:1-2).

In other words, to conclude that the standing is not the case merely from observing the state of its deployment; is actually "yet spiritual."

Is actually, not sound, spiritually.

Is to "look at things after the outward man."

In fact, even what the Lord had meant by "let him take up his cross" is not what, say, Romans 6 is talking about.

During His in Person earthly ministry "unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel," His every Word and or Instruction had had the intent of making obvious the impossibility of "patiently continuing in" the "well doing" He was calling for, see the latter half of Gal. 3, and into Gal. 4.

The best to in your understanding of these things through the passages.

PureX

When one is drunk, he becomes a different person. The Christian is to be controlled by the spirit (Eph 5:18). If the spirit is in control of a man, then he does not walk according to the flesh (Ga 5:16). If you live according to the flesh you will die (Ro 8:13).
If a man has cancer, religion is not going to make it go away. His flesh will still be riddled with cancer regardless of what he believes or what spirit he follows.

Addictions are physical as well as mental illnesses. The spirituality does not magically make the physical malady vanish (in most instances). So your absolutist proclamations not withstanding, for most people, a recovery process will be required. And for most addicts, an ongoing treatment (of total abstinence from the substance of the addiction and of regular monitoring of mental and spiritual health) will also be necessary.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
If a man has cancer, religion is not going to make it go away. His flesh will still be riddled with cancer regardless of what he believes or what spirit he follows...

Do you have a sexual imagery problem? Gouge your eye out.

If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of the parts of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of the parts of your body than for your whole body to go into hell! Mt 5:28–30

As a reminder PureX is number 37 on Satan, Inc. (TOL Heretics list) in "The 'Jesus is not God' people (Non-trinitarians) category. :burnlib:

Danoh

...As a reminder PureX is number 37 on Satan, Inc. (TOL Heretics list) in "The 'Jesus is not God' people (Non-trinitarians) category. :burnlib:

Personally, whether a person is on such a list or not, does not matter much to me where that aspect of what they are saying is sound, is "true."

Where such was the case, the Apostle Paul would do likewise...

Titus 1:12 One of themselves, even a prophet of their own, said, The Cretians are alway liars, evil beasts, slow bellies. 1:13 This witness is true...

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Titus 1:12 One of themselves, even a prophet of their own, said, The Cretians are alway liars, evil beasts, slow bellies. 1:13 This witness is true...
Well, the originator of the statement, one of their own prophets, was from Crete. ;)

Given that, and Paul's affirmation, then is one to conclude that the prophet making the statement is a liar or is something else, as in Paul using some dry humor given the illogic therein, meant? Paul clearly seeks to move them towards soundness in the faith in the following passages. So perhaps the affirmation from Paul is a disarming tactic and one that undermines the credibility of the statement by teaching that even those groups that vehemently oppose us are still worth looking past their offenses in hopes to see the Good News spread within their group.

It could also be that Paul's overarching point was to agree with Titus that it seems impossible to find men who are qualified to be Elders in the Church. That is, Titus, you really have your work cut out for you. The region is full of dishonest men who are not qualified to be leaders in the Church. Nevertheless, press on. God will provide what he commands.

Another perspective:
http://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/how-to-spot-a-false-teacher

AMR

Reactions: Lon

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[Satan Inc.] Personally, whether a person is on such a list or not, does not matter much to me where that aspect of what they are saying is sound, is "true."...Titus 1:12

A broken clock is right twice a day. :rolleyes:

"Tit 1:12 a prophet. Epimenides, the highly esteemed sixth century B.C. Greek poet and native of Crete, had characterized his own people as the dregs of Greek culture. Elsewhere, Paul also quoted pagan sayings (cf. Acts 17:28; 1 Cor. 15:33). This quote is directed at the false teachers’ character." MacArthur, J., Jr. (Ed.). (1997). The MacArthur Study Bible (electronic ed., p. 1886). Nashville, TN: Word Pub.