ECT Addiction/habitual sin Salvation Hope? No Hope?

Addiction/habitual sin Salvation Hope? No Hope?

• 1) No hope, if still in his/her addiction or worse off

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lon

Addiction/habitual sin Salvation Hope? No Hope?

These may not be all the options, but I'm looking to answer this question on how I'd counsel a brother or sister and so appreciate the input. I left the vote multiple so that checking all that apply could be done and I also didn't make it anonymous, because if one is ever
caught, I'd like them to think they would could come and ask any one of us about our answers. Thank you for your participation and help.

-Lon

With scripture help for consideration:

1) No hope of salvation, still in his/her sins &/or worse off 1 Corinthians 6:9 2 Peter 2:19-21 Matthew 12:43-45 Romans 6:16
2) Saving hope, but must stop on his/her own Ephesians 4:28 Romans 6:12,13
3) Saving hope, but must stop, with God's help Romans 8:26,27 John 14:16
4) Covered in Christ (saved done deal), of no great Spiritual consequence John 6:37;8:36 Romans 5:10,7:6,24,25;8:1
5) Other

nikolai_42

If the man is truly in Christ, there is hope. But I wouldn't say it doesn't matter. I would say it is critical for this man to be rid of his addiction (whatever it may be). An addiction indicates idolatry as well as selfishness. Idolatry in that the addiction is being served and catered to even at the expense of all else. It is selfishness because it has all to do with satisfying one's own desires. This is bondage and if someone is in Christ, they are not called to any sort of bondage. Paul dealt with the Galatians being in bondage again by following the Law and making Christ of none effect. But it applies to anything that binds us to anyone or anything other than Him.

Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
Galatians 5:1

For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.
Galatians 5:13

If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.
When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.
Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:
For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience:
In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them.
But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.
Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;
And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:

Colossians 3:1-10

If a brother in Christ, the addict will be able to die to himself and find the life of Christ more than sufficient to make him victorious over sin. He died to sin. But it is also important to note that this is not him resolving to overcome his sin - rather submitting to God by denying himself and seeking to please God (and serve the brethren).

Just my 3 cents....

HisServant

I think most people struggle with this because they still think its all about them and not about God.

We are unable to beat these issues though our own self effort.

I honestly think that God allowed certain habitual sins that I fought with and felt so guilty about for decades as a lesson to me. When I finally let God deal with them in his own way, they disappeared and are no longer an issue.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The flesh is dead because of sin. A heroine user or a homo is not having their sin imputed to them.

And that has nothing to do with whether or not they should stop that behavior. They should stop because it is ruining lives.

nikolai_42

The flesh is dead because of sin. A heroine user or a homo is not having their sin imputed to them.

And that has nothing to do with whether or not they should stop that behavior. They should stop because it is ruining lives.

It's a little more than just "ruining your life"...

Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;
That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.
For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries:
Wherein they think it strange that ye run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you:
Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead.

I Peter 4:1-5

Cross Reference

I think most people struggle with this because they still think its all about them and not about God.

We are unable to beat these issues though our own self effort.

I honestly think that God allowed certain habitual sins that I fought with and felt so guilty about for decades as a lesson to me. When I finally let God deal with them in his own way, they disappeared and are no longer an issue.

Then you are of no use to God or His kingdom. He said it, I didn't.

"Seeing you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:
1 Peter 1:22 (KJV)

HisServant

Then you are of no use to God or His kingdom. He said it, I didn't.

"Seeing you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:
1 Peter 1:22 (KJV)

I see you tried to censor God in that quote... you conveniently highlighted what you want people to read and not what he wants.

We are to obey the truth through the Spirit... which is what I did. The spirit showed me the truth of my futility... he broke me down and built me back up.

I've told many people that until God crushes you and builds you up, you are of no use.

Unfortunately, too many Christians that have not been humbled by God take teaching positions and try and mentor people... and lead many people astray. The attitudes of many people on this board shows that they are all about themselves with God only being a thin veil over their huge egos. But those in Christ see through that veil as if it isn't there, the Holy Spirit exposes the frauds and tells us to avoid them... people like you.

HisServant

Wants?? He commands it!

Do the first part of the great commandment to prove Him.

I'm sorry, you are not able to do that without his help... even if you think about breaking them but do not physically... you have broken them.

Its all about God working in us and not us.

You cannot work your way to heaven by obedience.

Anyhow, I have shown how you bear false witness against the Holy Spirit... everyone knows it now. You might as well pack up and leave because your credibility just went in the trash can.

Cross Reference

I'm sorry, you are not able to do that without his help... even if you think about breaking them but do not physically... you have broken them.

Its all about God working in us and not us.

You cannot work your way to heaven by obedience.

Anyhow, I have shown how you bear false witness against the Holy Spirit... everyone knows it now. You might as well pack up and leave because your credibility just went in the trash can.

Whatever.

andyc

Hi Lon

For me its 4, except for the second part. So I ended up choosing "other".

4) Covered in Christ (saved done deal), of no great Spiritual consequence John 6:37;8:36 Romans 5:10,7:6,24,25;8:1

The consequence is a guilty conscience leading to self condemnation, and weak witness. Paul says, if we walk in the Spirit, we will not fulfill the lust of the flesh. Without walking in the Spirit, there is a powerless life. Saved but tormented, and captive to lust.

Reactions: Lon

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
If the man is truly in Christ, there is hope. But I wouldn't say it doesn't matter. I would say it is critical for this man to be rid of his addiction (whatever it may be). An addiction indicates idolatry as well as selfishness. Idolatry in that the addiction is being served and catered to even at the expense of all else. It is selfishness because it has all to do with satisfying one's own desires. This is bondage and if someone is in Christ, they are not called to any sort of bondage. Paul dealt with the Galatians being in bondage again by following the Law and making Christ of none effect. But it applies to anything that binds us to anyone or anything other than Him.

Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.
Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:
But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.
And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:

If a brother in Christ, the addict will be able to die to himself and find the life of Christ more than sufficient to make him victorious over sin. He died to sin. But it is also important to note that this is not him resolving to overcome his sin - rather submitting to God by denying himself and seeking to please God (and serve the brethren).

Just my 3 cents....

Well said, and why i voted other, also.

Danoh

It can't be #4; that one denies there being no Spiritual consequence.

I'll go with Other: Hope, and as a result MUST and CAN be stopped.

Romans 6:12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.

Ephesians 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

Galatians 6:8 For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

glorydaz

I voted "other" because the "spiritual" consequence" would be a loss of rewards....more stubble that would require being burned up. 1 Cor. 3:14-15

A less than effective witness comes to mind which has a farther reaching effect than just on ourselves, and as Nick pointed out severe consequences here in this life.

Danoh

It can, and it is.

Romans 6:12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.

Ephesians 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

Galatians 6:8 For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

Truster

Just my 3 cents....

Addiction, addict = adjudged.

There are certain words, which describe the situation or circumstances of a group of people or indeed an individual, which have fallen into misuse. The kind of misuse that gives glory to humanity, while bringing into question the sovereignty of the Eternal Almighty. The wrong interpretation/understanding of these words and their continued misuse denies His sovereignty in administration.

Addict is one of these words. Those unfortunate people that have addictions to drugs or alcohol are looked upon by society as being foolish or stupid for ‘’having thrown their life away’’ or ‘’wasting their lives’’. These statements infer that the person made a conscious or controlled decision to do so. This of course means that the individual is in control and if only they would, ‘’pull themselves together’’ they could be free of addiction.

The root meaning of addict is adjudged. The recipient of the judgment is imprisoned or bound by the substance or circumstance to which they have an insatiable craving or desire. That’s why they are known as life controlling substances or circumstances. They are bound by the judgment to the accompanying torments: fury wrath, tribulation and anguish. Within this prison, ‘’there is no peace unto the wicked’’ only desperation.

Addictions can be to sports or pastimes and of course religion. There can be a zeal that is shown towards the true worship of the Almighty, but is practiced outside of salvation that becomes addictive.
This is particularly the case where the addict has a leadership role and gets his weekly or biweekly hit or rush at meetings where he is the center of attention.
In Welsh chapels and denominational churches this can be seen in the ‘man worship’ of the minister by the flock, or audience, as the case may be.

One of the Puritans said that it is a good thing for a man to attend a church meeting, but if the man is not saved at the meeting it is better that he should cease to attend. Because there is a danger he might begin to enjoy religion and that at some stage he may be ‘encouraged’ and told he has an ability to preach or teach and the man begins a ministry. He then becomes a blind guide and from that judgment there is very little hope of escape.

Anyone addicted has been judged. The addiction is the judgment against the sin of the individual and/or of society where the judgment is the lust that accompanies homosexuality. If he is forgiven and granted repentance the judgment is lifted. That man is liberated indeed. Amen.

We must take great care in how we think of poor unfortunate souls who are addicted (judged) and how we deal with them or else we could fall under addiction (judgment) ourselves.

The just also fall under judgment, trials, testing and tribulations, but we have the promise that the Good Shepherd will come looking for and deliver us.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
4) Covered in Christ, of no great Spiritual consequence
5) Other​
I voted 4 and 5. The Holy See teaches in their current Catechism (which is the same as saying that the Magisterium teaches) that we should confess our sins regularly, especially mortal or fatal sins. The Church also teaches through/as the Holy See/Magisterium that any number of conditions render our morally offensive behavior forgiven/venial and not mortal/fatal, and thus "Covered in Christ, of no great Spiritual consequence," including but not limited to, literally, "habit," but the Church's bishops teach that if we find ourselves regularly committing grave moral offenses that we should confess regularly, so as to benefit from the sacrament of penance/reconciliation, one of seven particular avenues through/by which our Lord blesses us with His grace.