Abortion-a crying shame. (HOF thread)

Crow

Originally posted by avatar382

I am not arguing against the notion that the human "life-cycle" begins at conception.

I am arguing that for a time after conceception, the zygote/embryo has no brain/central nervous system, is not capable of sentience, and this, is not a person.

This "life-cycle" you keep rambling about is irrelevant.

Then is it OK to dismember a comatose human being? They are not capable of sentinence. They once were sentinent, but the past is the past. A corpse was once sentinent, and those are buried and burned routinely. So what would make us instinctively know that it is not OK to dismember a comatose human being?

The fact is that humanity and it's inherent right to live is not based on sentinence, and at some level most of us understand this, even if we do not acknowledge it.

What is not directly before our faces becomes more comfortable. We change the TV channel when there's a pitch for the starving famine kid of the week on. If the same kid knocked on our door, we'd drag him in and feed him.

I have yet to see the person who would think it is OK to hack the comatose to death, and yet by the sentinence standard, they are no more a "person" than a zygote. Because feti inhabit a hidden world out of our sight, we are able to dehumanize them and feel that they are somehow not entitled to live if their lives present an inconvenience. The comatose person is visible, and this is why we do not murder them. They are not tucked away from our sight; we are not comfortable in denying their humanity.

Last edited:

Crow, I meant to respond to your previous post yesterday but didn't get the chance.

Why would "prior" factor into the equation? The comatose aren't sentinent now. Why does past sentinence modify what one does in the present?

Someone who is comatose was once aware (sentinent) and once had a life. Such a person, before becoming comatose, has an interest in continuing that life. If there is a chance that our comatose friend can regain conciousness, that interest is worth something, is it not?

The zygote at conception has zero interests - since it has never before been sentinent. It has no previous "life", because it was never previously concious. Eventually, it will be, but it is not at the present.

It is this interest that differentiates the comatose from a zygote at conception.

Then is it OK to dismember a comatose human being? They are not capable of sentinence. They once were sentinent, but the past is the past. A corpse was once sentinent, and those are buried and burned routinely. So what would make us instinctively know that it is not OK to dismember a comatose human being?

If the comatose person in question has a zero percent chance (or close enough) for recovery, and expressed a wish to be dismemebered upon death, then why not?

If the person in question has not expressed a desire to be dismembered upon death, then doing so could be potentially disrespectful, and it's pretty bad to be disrespectful to the dead... but other than that, I don't see any problems...

The fact is that humanity and it's inherent right to live is not based on sentinence, and at some level most of us understand this, even if we do not acknowledge it.

What is it based on, then? Obviously, to be a person, an entitity must at the very least be alive and human in origin. However, if this is all there is, then our organs are persons (alive and human), cancer cells are persons (alive, human, and genetically distinct) ... Surely, you don't consider a tumor to be a person...

I have yet to see the person who would think it is OK to hack the comatose to death, and yet by the sentinence standard, they are no more a "person" than a zygote. Because feti inhabit a hidden world out of our sight, we are able to dehumanize them and feel that they are somehow not entitled to live if their lives present an inconvenience. The comatose person is visible, and this is why we do not murder them. They are not tucked away from our sight; we are not comfortable in denying their humanity.

I have already responded to your point about what makes a zygote/embryo different than the comatose, but you make an excellent point about what we don't see makes us more comfortable. I completely agree with you there.

The fact is, many of our social policies make it easy for a woman to choose abortion. When you are working 3 dead end jobs and can barely support yourself, the prospect of a child I imagine can be downright terrifying. I'm not trying to present this as an excuse to justify abortion, but to point out that in many ways, it is encouraged by the way we treat our poor and destitute.

Listen you air-head, your childish one note argument based on what you and you alone consider an appropriate arbitrary time to kill a developing human being is beneath contempt. You and your ilk are a cancer on the soul of America today.

The human life-cycle trumps your feeble attempt to qualify life. Your arrogant presumption that you have the right to qualify human life is despicable, immoral, and inhuman. You would make a great Secular Humanist Democrat. Your credentials are first rate.

Ad-hominem attacks are not necessary. Attack my arguments, not my character.

Also, the popluarity of an argument has nothing to do with it's merit. That said, My position is conservative compared to the majority of public opinion.

Oh, and we all qualify human life all the time. You apparently don't realize it when you do it.

philosophizer

Originally posted by Crow

What is not directly before our faces becomes more comfortable. We change the TV channel when there's a pitch for the starving famine kid of the week on. If the same kid knocked on our door, we'd drag him in and feed him.

:first:

Art Deco

Ad-hominem attacks are not necessary. Attack my arguments, not my character.

Also, the popluarity of an argument has nothing to do with it's merit. That said, My position is conservative compared to the majority of public opinion.

Oh, and we all qualify human life all the time. You apparently don't realize it when you do it.
Your arguments are a window on your character and your soul. You and your arguments are beneath contempt. You and Hitler are classic psychopathic soul-mates.

You qualify human life for the purpose of killing it. You're sick, twisted, and sub-human. How's that for an attack on your character? Richly deserved I might add. :sozo:

Crow

Someone who is comatose was once aware (sentinent) and once had a life. Such a person, before becoming comatose, has an interest in continuing that life. If there is a chance that our comatose friend can regain conciousness, that interest is worth something, is it not?

That "interest" is just as much "interest" as a fetus has. The possibility of sentinence, which in the case of the fetus is many times more probable.

The zygote at conception has zero interests - since it has never before been sentinent. It has no previous "life", because it was never previously concious. Eventually, it will be, but it is not at the present.

It has no previous life. And? Eventually, the comatose person might become sentinent. The zygote probably will.

What, exactly, interests do you think the adult comatose have? You would have to be sentinent to have interests and preferences. Unless, of course, one's interests are not basic to one's awareness, but a basic right common to all human life by virtue of being alive, exclusive to sentinence.

It is this interest that differentiates the comatose from a zygote at conception.

A zygote pursues life in the only way a zygote can--it implants, grows, and develops. As we continue to do throughout our life, until we decline. In whatever manner is within our capacity at our present state of maturity.

If the comatose person in question has a zero percent chance (or close enough) for recovery, and expressed a wish to be dismemebered upon death, then why not?

If the person in question has not expressed a desire to be dismembered upon death, then doing so could be potentially disrespectful, and it's pretty bad to be disrespectful to the dead... but other than that, I don't see any problems...

You are sidestepping here. I am not speaking about dismembering the comatose after death.

I am speaking about a living comatose person, who is no more sentinent, and has less prospect of being so in the future than a fetus. Feti are alive and hacked to death routinely by abortion clinics. If one applies the sentinence standard consistantly, it is OK to hack a living comatose person to death.

What is it based on, then? Obviously, to be a person, an entitity must at the very least be alive and human in origin. However, if this is all there is, then our organs are persons (alive and human), cancer cells are persons (alive, human, and genetically distinct) ... Surely, you don't consider a tumor to be a person...

An organ is a structure of tissues that will never mature into a distinct organism. The same with cancers. They will not mature into a distinct organism. Your thumb is human tissue, but it will never become a separate and distinct human being. A human is a specific living organism. No one has suggested that individual tissues should be accorded the status of a human being in this debate, unless I missed something.

I have already responded to your point about what makes a zygote/embryo different than the comatose, but you make an excellent point about what we don't see makes us more comfortable. I completely agree with you there.

The fact is, many of our social policies make it easy for a woman to choose abortion. When you are working 3 dead end jobs and can barely support yourself, the prospect of a child I imagine can be downright terrifying. I'm not trying to present this as an excuse to justify abortion, but to point out that in many ways, it is encouraged by the way we treat our poor and destitute.

Choices, not "our social policies," are what bring about the majority of pregnancies, be they wanted or unwanted.

There are many resources availiable to the pregnant woman in the form of housing assistance, financial support, health care, assistance in finding employment, assistance in obtaining schooling, assistance in obtaining schooling or training, assistance in obtaining child care, the whole spectrum. There are numerous right to life organizations who will make sure the pregnant woman has the resources she needs, whether she keeps her child, or gives the child up for adoption.

The poor and destitute have many prolife organizations eager to help them. Women with an unwanted pregnancy need only pick up the phone book and call for help, and it will be found for them. They have to pick up the phonebook anyway to call for an abortion provider. Abortion alternatives are right next to abortion providers. Usually on the same page.

And it isn't just the poor and destitute aborting their children.

Last edited:

Your arguments are a window on your character and your soul. You and your arguments are beneath contempt. You and Hitler are classic psychopathic soul-mates.

You qualify human life for the purpose of killing it. You're sick, twisted, and sub-human.

Although I disagree with your viewpoints, I have treated you with respect. I suppose it is beyond your capabilities to do the same to me. For one who professes such a high standard of morality, you don't have much in the way of manners.

How's that for an attack on your character?

I don't wanna talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries! I wave my private parts at your auntie, you cheesy second hand electric donkey-bottom biter! I burst my pimples at you, tiny-brained wiper of other people's bottoms! :chuckle: :bannana:

Art Deco

Although I disagree with your viewpoints, I have treated you with respect. I suppose it is beyond your capabilities to do the same to me. For one who professes such a high standard of morality, you don't have much in the way of manners.

Listen creep, when you support the killing of innocent human life you deserve all the condemnation any God fearing human can heap on your head.

Posted by Avatar 382:
I don't wanna talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries! I wave my private parts at your auntie, you cheesy second hand electric donkey-bottom biter! I burst my pimples at you, tiny-brained wiper of other people's bottoms! :chuckle: :bannana:

Scum rises to the top...you just hit the surface... :angel:

EDIT: Please read the whole post before replying point by point, it's easy to miss the big picture if you focus on refuting all the tiny details...

That "interest" is just as much "interest" as a fetus has. The possibility of sentinence, which in the case of the fetus is many times more probable.

If you read my post carefully, you'll notice that I said the comatose has an interest before becoming comatose. We (sentient human beings) all have this interest - an interest in living out the life we are currently living.

I agree with the statement that the comatose do not have interests while they are in their state of coma, however, as I said before, they had an interest in living out their life before losing awareness, and, if they have a decent chance of regaining conciousness, that interest in living the person had prior to losing awareness is certainly worth something.

A zygote/young embryo does not have and never had an interest in living out its life yet. It was never self-aware. The fact that it will have these things in the future doesn't negate the fact that it doesn't have them now.

It has no previous life. And? Eventually, the comatose person might become sentinent. The zygote probably will.

What, exactly, interests do you think the adult comatose have? You would have to be sentinent to have interests and preferences. Unless, of course, one's interests are not basic to one's awareness, but a basic right common to all human life by virtue of being alive, exclusive to sentinence.

I am going to skip this for now in an effort to focus on other areas of the discussion...

You are sidestepping here. I am not speaking about dismembering the comatose after death.

I am speaking about a living comatose person, who is no more sentinent, and has less prospect of being so in the future than a fetus. Feti are alive and hacked to death routinely by abortion clinics. If one applies the sentinence standard consistantly, it is OK to hack a living comatose person to death.

Let me be more clear then.
If the comatose person has a chance for recovery, then their life should be protected by virtue of the fact that although they are not sentient now, they were in the past, and have built a life, and have (or had, depending on your viewpoint) an interest in continuing their life. Their lack of self-awareness can be seen as a temporary condition.

If the comatose person has zero (or close enough) chance for recovery, then they are effectively dead, and should be given whatever rights are afforded to people after they are dead. (not sure what that would be)

You can see where getting at - the difference between a zygote that is a a few days old to someone in a coma is that in the comatose, the condition is temporary, and before becoming comatose, the individual was already a person. The only thing that can revoke personhood is brain death, or a condition that is equivalent to brain death (in a coma, with zero chance of recovery)

A zygote's case is different. I don't see the formation of a human being as a black and white, binary event, like one second, you have a sperm and egg, and another second, you have a person. I think this is where we have a fundamental difference of opinion. In my view, Human development is a continuum.

A few seconds after fertilization, the new life isn't too far from what is was before fertilzation, just like a 17 year old 30 minutes from his 18th birthday isn't too far from what he/she will be when the clock strikes 12 and the minor is now legally an adult. As a society, we place arbitrary lines to divide between two stages of human development.

Of course, you know that my argument is that personhood is developed, and it's not developed until some time after fertilization. This brings us to discuss... what is it that makes a a living human being a person?

An organ is a structure of tissues that will never mature into a distinct organism. The same with cancers. They will not mature into a distinct organism. Your thumb is human tissue, but it will never become a separate and distinct human being. A human is a specific living organism. No one has suggested that individual tissues should be accorded the status of a human being in this debate, unless I missed something.

So, do you agree with me that it is not sufficent for an entitiy to be merely alive and human in origin to be a person? You allude to a third criteron, "potental to mature", but I'd like you to expand on it a little. When you say "they will not mature into a "distinct organism", what excatly do you mean?

It is true that an organ, as a whole, is dependant on other organs to serve it's purpose, so in that sense, my example was bad. However about an individual cell? Human cells can live out their lives in a petri dish, and can reproduce, so biologically, they can be viewed as organisms. Organisms that happen to be part of a larger organism, sure, but organisms nonetheless, just as bacteria. Now, they do have the same DNA as the person they came from so you could argue that they are not distinct, but not in the case of cancer cells.

So, cancer cells are organisms that are alive, human in origin, and genetically disctinct from any other human entity. Cancer cells are clearly not persons. What makes a person a person, then?

Choices, not "our social policies," are what bring about the majority of pregnancies, be they wanted or unwanted.

There are many resources availiable to the pregnant woman in the form of housing assistance, financial support, health care, assistance in finding employment, assistance in obtaining schooling, assistance in obtaining schooling or training, assistance in obtaining child care, the whole spectrum. There are numerous right to life organizations who will make sure the pregnant woman has the resources she needs, whether she keeps her child, or gives the child up for adoption.

The poor and destitute have many prolife organizations eager to help them. Women with an unwanted pregnancy need only pick up the phone book and call for help, and it will be found for them. They have to pick up the phonebook anyway to call for an abortion provider. Abortion alternatives are right next to abortion providers. Usually on the same page.

And it isn't just the poor and destitute aborting their children.

Generally speaking, I agree with you. Still, there is much more we can do as a society to reduce the abortion rate, even while it is still legal. Wouldn't you agree?

Last edited:

Listen creep, when you support the killing of innocent human life you deserve all the condemnation any God fearing human can heap on your head.

Unless you spend your life shooting physicians who perform abortions, a la Paul Hill, you are either a hypocrite or a coward. Which is it?

aikido7

BANNED
Banned

Justify murder, justify killing, justify condemnation. Why is there war? Murder? Abortion? Christianity?

What fools we mortals be.

Art Deco

Unless you spend your life shooting physicians who perform abortions, a la Paul Hill, you are either a hypocrite or a coward. Which is it?
Paul Hill was ahead of his time... Hatred for all abortion and abortionists is growing but not fast enough for some of us...

Crow

UOTE]

UOTE]

EDIT: Please read the whole post before replying point by point, it's easy to miss the big picture if you focus on refuting all the tiny details...

If you read my post carefully, you'll notice that I said the comatose has an interest before becoming comatose. We (sentient human beings) all have this interest - an interest in living out the life we are currently living. This is why 'personhood' makes such an awkward qualification for the right to existance.

I agree with the statement that the comatose do not have interests while they are in their state of coma, however, as I said before, they had an interest in living out their life before losing awareness, and, if they have a decent chance of regaining conciousness, that interest in living the person had prior to losing awareness is certainly worth something.

A zygote/young embryo does not have and never had an interest in living out its life yet. It was never self-aware. The fact that it will have these things in the future doesn't negate the fact that it doesn't have them now.

The zygote or young embryo stage is also a temporary stage.

It has more than a decent chance of gaining consciousness.

The fact that the comatose might have self awareness in the future doesn't negate that they do not have these things now.

If "personhood" is the quality that entitles a human to life, and "personhood" hinges on sentinence, the comatose and the fetus have the same condition--potential for sentinence. This potential is considerably higher in the fetus. Kill the comatose, and they don't know what they're missing. Literally. The same as the fetus.

I have seen the big picture. This is why I reject "personhood" as a qualification to whether one can make an elective decision to terminate human life or not. When one applies it to the comatose, it doesn't work. I know that it is not OK to hack them to death. Not because they were once sentinent. Otherwise corpses would have the same rights. I know that living humans, whether comatose, retarded, sleeping, or fetal have an inherent right to not be hacked to death. Because of humanity. I don't have to sit and ponder whether I should grant them "personhood" or not.

I am going to skip this for now in an effort to focus on other areas of the discussion...

Let me be more clear then.
If the comatose person has a chance for recovery, then their life should be protected by virtue of the fact that although they are not sentient now, they were in the past, and have built a life, and have (or had, depending on your viewpoint) an interest in continuing their life. Their lack of self-awareness can be seen as a temporary condition.

If the comatose person has zero (or close enough) chance for recovery, then they are effectively dead, and should be given whatever rights are afforded to people after they are dead. (not sure what that would be)

You can see where getting at - the difference between a zygote that is a a few days old to someone in a coma is that in the comatose, the condition is temporary, and before becoming comatose, the individual was already a person. The only thing that can revoke personhood is brain death, or a condition that is equivalent to brain death (in a coma, with zero chance of recovery)

A zygote's case is different. I don't see the formation of a human being as a black and white, binary event, like one second, you have a sperm and egg, and another second, you have a person. I think this is where we have a fundamental difference of opinion. In my view, Human development is a continuum.

A few seconds after fertilization, the new life isn't too far from what is was before fertilzation, just like a 17 year old 30 minutes from his 18th birthday isn't too far from what he/she will be when the clock strikes 12 and the minor is now legally an adult. As a society, we place arbitrary lines to divide between two stages of human development.

Of course, you know that my argument is that personhood is developed, and it's not developed until some time after fertilization. This brings us to discuss... what is it that makes a a living human being a person?

So, do you agree with me that it is not sufficent for an entitiy to be merely alive and human in origin to be a person? You allude to a third criteron, "potental to mature", but I'd like you to expand on it a little. When you say "they will not mature into a "distinct organism", what excatly do you mean?

I do not require "personhood" as a qualification for humanity. That is your argument, not mine. I consider each living human being a human being. Whether they can vote, operate a motor vehicle, state their name and address, nurse, toddle, or not.

You do not. You require the furthur qualification of personhood. I do not believe that it is acceptable to arbitrarily kill a human in any stage of it's life. Comatose or otherwise. And the lack of self-awareness is as temporary in a fetus as in a comatose individual.

If sentinence and self-awareness and having built a life in the past are the determining factors in whether a human should not be killed, the squirrel in my yard would be a "person" to a greater degree than the comatose, or the day old baby, or the week old baby.

The personhood, sentinence, self-awareness, and building a past arguments simply do not work when I apply them.

A distinct organism is one living being. One corn plant. One human being. One dog. One fish. I hope that is sufficient elaboration for you.

It is true that an organ, as a whole, is dependant on other organs to serve it's purpose, so in that sense, my example was bad. However about an individual cell? Human cells can live out their lives in a petri dish, and can reproduce, so biologically, they can be viewed as organisms. Organisms that happen to be part of a larger organism, sure, but organisms nonetheless, just as bacteria. Now, they do have the same DNA as the person they came from so you could argue that they are not distinct, but not in the case of cancer cells.

So, cancer cells are organisms that are alive, human in origin, and genetically disctinct from any other human entity. Cancer cells are clearly not persons. What makes a person a person, then?

A cancer cell is a tissue that is diseased. A cell, cancerous or not, is a part of an organism, not a whole. It will exist until it is destroyed, removed, or until it kills the person it afflicts. It can be maintained in culture, sometimes indefinately. But it is a diseased tissue of human, or dog, or mouse, or whatever the source may be. Not an organism. If you accidentally cut your thumb off, it is a human tissue. Not a human organism.

A fetus is not a disease. It is a human being in an early state of existance.

Generally speaking, I agree with you. Still, there is much more we can do as a society to reduce the abortion rate, even while it is still legal. Wouldn't you agree?

There is much to do. Illegalizing abortion is the best start. Despite the resources availiable, people continue to abort their babies.

Art Deco

Re: UOTE]

Re: UOTE]

Originally posted by Crow There is much to do. Illegalizing abortion is the best start. Despite the resources availiable, people continue to abort their babies.

Having said that, can we agree that all who call themselves Christians should vote against all Democrats in every election, since the Secular Humanist Democrat Party supports and defends Abortion on demand?

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Re: Re: UOTE]

Re: Re: UOTE]

Originally posted by Art Deco

Having said that, can we agree that all who call themselves Christians should vote against all Democrats in every election, since the Secular Humanist Democrat Party supports and defends Abortion on demand?
All Democrats are evil and all Republicans are good, eh? :doh:

Simple ideas for simple minds like yours, eh AD? :freak:

Don't forget that there are pro-life Democrats...

http://www.democratsforlife.org/

There are also pro-choice Republicans...

http://www.rpcc.org/about/index.shtml

Art Deco

Re: Re: Re: UOTE]

Re: Re: Re: UOTE]

Originally posted by Zakath

All Democrats are evil and all Republicans are good, eh?
The Party is Evil and the majority of those that support the Party are by extension evil. Those who are pro-life need to join the Pro-Life Republican Party.

Posted by Zak:
Don't forget that there are pro-life Democrats...

http://www.democratsforlife.org/

They need to wise up and abandon this Godless perverted Political Party. They are mentally conflicted.

Posted by Zak:
there are also pro-choice Republicans...

http://www.rpcc.org/about/index.shtml

These RINOs need to leave the Republican Party and move over to the Democrat Party where they would be right at home. They can find it by following the smell...

Husband&Father

Party first then individuals (at least for now)

Party first then individuals (at least for now)

Zakath wrote:
[All Democrats are evil and all Republicans are good, eh? Simple ideas for simple minds like yours, eh AD? Don't forget that there are pro-life Democrats...]

With both houses so closely divided it would make sense for one interested in keeping the more pro-life party in power to vote along party lines first.

The Party in power sets the agenda. A principled vote for a pro-life Democrat over a pro-choice Republican that cost the pro-life party the majority would do much more harm than good to the pro-life cause.

At this stage in the game and with the majority hanging by a thread I would have to agree with Art Deco and recommend voting against all Democrats. So all you Christians in PA hold your nose, vote Spector and pray for him.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Art Deco

Paul Hill was ahead of his time... Hatred for all abortion and abortionists is growing but not fast enough for some of us...

Actually, Hill was behind the times. Remember his forerunner, John Brown. Another murderous fanatic wrapped in self-righteousness.

Granite

Hall of Fame
"The Party in power sets the agenda. A principled vote for a pro-life Democrat over a pro-choice Republican that cost the pro-life party the majority would do much more harm than good to the pro-life cause."

Pragmatism at its worst: sacrifice the better candidate because he carries the wrong label.

And people wonder why the pro-life movement's starting to spin its wheels.