A problem with open theism (HOF thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

drbrumley

Knight said:
This thread is a shining example of what bad theology can do to normally smart people. :nono:

Sad to say thats a true statement, but......that is a true statement

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Robin, is freewill a human perception or is it real?

In other words....
Do you believe that we have the will to do whatever we choose but God knows otherwise?

It seems to me that based on what you are saying this is indeed what you believe.

Jeremiah85

Knight said:
It's only immpossible to answer for you because the answer destroys your position.
I am starting to suspect that we coming at the same point from different viewpoints. You say that because God has foreknown something that a person can choose nothing else. I am saying that because a person chooses something, that God cannot foreknow anything else because anything else would be incorrect.
Yet your mom isn't omniscient is she?

And she still knows you will not choose corn?

Are you arguing for open theism now? :D
You know as well as I do that no human analogy is entirely accurate. What my Mom can do with reasonable accuracy, God can do with 100% accuracy because He is perfect

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Jeremiah85 said:
I am starting to suspect that we coming at the same point from different viewpoints. You say that because God has foreknown something that a person can choose nothing else. I am saying that because a person chooses something, that God cannot foreknow anything else because anything else would be incorrect.
And therefore true freewill and perfect exhaustive foreknowledge are mutually exclusive. BOTH cannot be true.

We either have true freewill or God has perfect exhaustive foreknowledge, one or the other both cannot logically be true.

Mr. 5020

When is the answer to this debate going to matter to our spiritual life?

Nevermind, I just thought of one.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Mr. 5020 said:
When is the answer to this debate going to matter to our spiritual life?

Nevermind, I just thought of one.
Personally I think this may be the single most important issue when it comes to how the lost view Christianity.

Mr. 5020

I have a question, as I am a little open-minded in this area, Sir Knight.

Can God give real guidance without knowing the future? I'm trying to imagine the spiritual dialogue.

"Lord, what do I do?"

"How would I know? I don't know what's gonna happen either way."

drbrumley

God has the ability to do whatever He wants. If He desired to know the future actions of all beings, He could do that. The only problem is, they would not be free to make those choices, and God shows that dilemma by stating in

Isaiah 5:1-4: “Now let me sing to my Well-beloved, a song of my Beloved regarding His vineyard: My Well-beloved has a vineyard on a very fruitful hill. 2 He dug it up and cleared out its stones, and planted it with the choicest vine. He built a tower in its midst, and also made a winepress in it; So He expected it to bring forth good grapes, but it brought forth wild grapes. 3 “And now, O inhabitants of Jerusalem and men of Judah, judge, please, between Me and My vineyard. 4 What more could have been done to My vineyard that I have not done in it? Why then, when I expected it to bring forth good grapes, did it bring forth wild grapes?”

God stated the problem with free will agents. God did everything He could do without predestinating them to do what He wanted them to do. It even shows God’s disappointment with the nation. God expected Israel to bring forth good grapes, but they did not. These kinds of statements are evident throughout the Bible.

Agape4Robin

Knight said:
So what your saying is we perceive that we have freewill but in reality we don't. Correct?

Yet you do agree that we cannot make a choice that is not contained with God's perfect foreknowledge correct?
Part of the issue here is the issue of time, is it not?

If the future exists for God even as the present does, then God is consistently in all places at all times and is not restricted by time. This would mean that time is not a part of God's nature to which God is subject and that God is not a linear entity. Meaning that He is not restricted to the present only and operates outside of our realm. If God is not restricted to the present, our present, then the future is known by God because God indwells the future, as well as the present.
This means that our future choices, as free as they are, are simply known by God. Our ability to choose is not altered or lessened by God existing in the future and knowing what we freely choose. It just means that God can see what we will freely choose, because it is what we have freely chosen.

Jeremiah85

Knight said:
And therefore true freewill and perfect exhaustive foreknowledge are mutually exclusive. BOTH cannot be true.

We either have true freewill or God has perfect exhaustive foreknowledge, one or the other both cannot logically be true.
So you deny that God can know what choices that we will make?
According to dictionary.com omniscient means: Having total knowledge; knowing everything

God knows with perfect accuracy every decision that will be made. You are stating that man does not have freewill, therefore do you believe that in the Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve had no choice but to sin? I believe that God gave them a choice but already knew what the outcome would be.

drbrumley

Knight said:
Personally I think this may be the single most important issue when it comes to how the lost view Christianity.

It is. Even Christians themselves I would add. Not just the lost.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Mr. 5020 said:
I have a question, as I am a little open-minded in this area, Sir Knight.

Can God give real guidance without knowing the future? I'm trying to imagine the spiritual dialogue.
Of course, why couldn't He?

Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; 6 In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths.

In other words....
The more we trust in Him and allow Him to work through us the more He will direct our paths. The converse is... if we lean on our own understandings He will not be guiding our paths. Make sense?

Mr. 5020

Knight said:
Of course, why couldn't He?

Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; 6 In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths.

In other words....
The more we trust in Him and allow Him to work through us the more He will direct our paths. The converse is... if we lean on our own understandings He will not be guiding our paths. Make sense?
Except that my question is: How would He know how to direct us if he doesn't know what's going to happen when we get there?

drbrumley

Jeremiah85 said:
So you deny that God can know what choices that we will make?
According to dictionary.com omniscient means: Having total knowledge; knowing everything

God knows with perfect accuracy every decision that will be made. You are stating that man does not have freewill, therefore do you believe that in the Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve had no choice but to sin? I believe that God gave them a choice but already knew what the outcome would be.
See post 173. If you can attempt to answer the Isiah passage, please give it a spin.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Agape4Robin said:
Part of the issue here is the issue of time, is it not?

If the future exists for God even as the present does, then God is consistently in all places at all times and is not restricted by time. This would mean that time is not a part of God's nature to which God is subject and that God is not a linear entity. Meaning that He is not restricted to the present only and operates outside of our realm. If God is not restricted to the present, our present, then the future is known by God because God indwells the future, as well as the present.
This means that our future choices, as free as they are, are simply known by God. Our ability to choose is not altered or lessened by God existing in the future and knowing what we freely choose. It just means that God can see what we will freely choose, because it is what we have freely chosen.
I do not believe that God does not experience time, do you?

The idea that time is some thing (space between words intended) is illogical and not biblical.

Status
Not open for further replies.