A portrait of Jesus in a school? Seriously?

PureX

You can whine all day, but no endorsement is there, with just a picture, sorry.
Of course it is. The choice of icon, and the act of putting it up is in itself an "endorsement", as there was no other religious, or even secular icon there.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Then what is the point of it?

Whats the point of any picture being up?

Also, jews recognize Jesus, call Him a teacher, muslims recognize Jesus, call Him a prophet, other religions recognize Jesus and so do non believers who call Him a great teacher, so tell me by just a picture, what religion is being endorsed with no comment other than a picture?

Weird to have what many call a teacher in a school, right?

quip

BANNED
Banned
Since you see a picture of Him and recognize Him as the Christ, why do you call yourself a Buddhist? Apparantly a picture can cause YOU to convert, right?

Because growing up in (Middle) America I was inundated with such public displays. (Living under its confining influence)

As an adult I've critically examined those influences (who hold such action as heretical) and concluded they were not right for me. If Christianity's dogma expressed a similar latitude...I wouldn't be so adamant against such displays. As it stands.....

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Because growing up in America I was inundated with such public displays.

As an adult I've critically examined those influences (who hold such action as heretical) and concluded they were not right for me. If Christianity's dogma expressed a similar latitude...I wouldn't be so adamant against such displays. As it stands.....

In other words, a picture doesn't cause conversion. You just don't like it.

quip

BANNED
Banned
In other words, a picture doesn't cause conversion. You just don't like it.

No more or less than McDonald's advertisements cause me to eat hamburgers....though I don't see such much in the way of their marketing plan exclusively expressed within government-run structures.

MarcATL

These self-proclaimed Christians would go bananas if a Muslim did the same thing or a Satanist.

Separation of church and state is there for a reason, a very good one at that.

MarcATL

Does that go both ways? Are Christians who "get all worked up" over things like kids being taught what Islam is also "dorks"? Or Christians who get all worked up over non-Christian prayers at public meetings? Or Christians who get all worked up over non-Christian holiday displays?
That's what's do hypocritical about all these self-proclaimed Christians, they would have fits and coniptions if it was done by other beliefs. e.g. Islamic or Satanists.

They'd quickly get laws to ban it. It's been done before, in modern times to boot.

MarcATL

If you don't like debating a certain point, don't debate it.

Any religious figures?

That he served as President of the US.
It's this blatant and wilful dishonesty and their willingness to reduce themselves to using petty and pedantic tricks in order "to win" that galls me about these rightwing self-proclaimed Christians.

It's sickening!

oatmeal

FFRF demands removal of Jesus portrait from Kan. school

Here's the picture....

xYSC1Cv.jpg

Really? What is it with some of these school officials that they think this sort of thing is legal and acceptable? Are they that clueless about the law, or are they Christian theocrats who don't care about the law in the first place?

Either way, why are such idiots in charge of public education?

of course, it is legal and acceptable.

Why wouldn't it be?

Kdall

BANNED
Banned
I don't think this is that big of a deal, but yes it does violate the Constitution and if somebody takes issue with it then they have every legal right to remove it.

What would be far more hilarious is if they decided to keep it and put a picture of Mohammed up beside Jesus. Inclusive, yet offensive

genuineoriginal

FFRF demands removal of Jesus portrait from Kan. school
"The portrait of Jesus hanging in Royster Middle School must go, the Freedom From Religion Foundation wrote today to Chanute Public Schools, Kansas.

A print of Warner Sallman's "Head of Christ" is prominently displayed in the school. This is "an egregious violation of the First Amendment," said FFRF Staff Attorney Andrew Seidel."

Here's the picture....

xYSC1Cv.jpg
Could you explain how Kansas school hanging a picture on a wall is a violation of "[Federal] Congress shall make no law . . . prohibiting the free exercise [of religion]. . . [or] abridging the freedom of speech"?

Maybe the FFRF Staff Attorney didn't actually read the First Amendment.