A portrait of Jesus in a school? Seriously?

Jose Fly

Freedom of religion is very different from freedom FROM religion. Your history is skewed.

That may be your opinion, but our court system sees otherwise.

Because this country is sliding into the abyss. The voices of the few are louder than the voices of the many. And frankly... the "many" don't seem to want to put up much of a fight.

Or it could be that the "few" actually have the law on their side.

Why argue about every thing anyone says??

It's a debate forum, is it not?

If other religious folks said it before Jesus they were still religious folks right?? And you are against religious things in public places (that's the topic of this thread). Therefore the question Mocking You asked was still valid.

You're missing the point. The obvious intent of putting the painting up in a school was to promote Christianity. Pretending it's some sort of "historic display" or anything else is ridiculous and basically dishonest.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It's a debate forum, is it not?
Of course but why debate a point that will have ZERO effect on the outcome of the topic. That's just a waste of time.

You're missing the point. The obvious intent of the putting the painting up in a school was to promote Christianity. Pretending it's some sort of "historic display" or anything else is ridiculous and basically dishonest.
There are pictures of all kinds of people hanging on the walls of public schools.

In my high school there was a large picture of JFK on the wall. What do you suppose that meant?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
the enemy, whether it's satan or enemies of this country, democracy and freedom, love this banter in america. they love nothing more than having our history and heritage less visible. out of sight . . .

in order that we offend nobody, nobody has rights to express. it could be something an entire school or any public building where 1000 people are ok with something. the one dork comes along . . . - :dunce:

shagster01

Like this?:

god-we-trust.jpg

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."-recited at kindergarten, grade schools

To me "God" is the tao. I do trust the tao. To you "God" is something else. You trust that God.

But this picture of Jesus is not nearly as all encompassing, is it.

Mocking You

Why just them? If this is a purely secular display, why pick the words of Jesus over someone like Gandhi or Martin Luther King?

Go ahead and let us know what you would post on the wall from either of those two people that can remotely approach the beauty, poetry, depth, and simplicity of Jesus' words.

john w

Hall of Fame
His argument is dead on, and not addressed by your post. There is no room in public education for that picture, unless it is a class in really tacky art.

Although Judge Ray Moore would probably like it in his court room.

Wrong answer:

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

His argument:

"It's an unconstitutional government endorsement of a religion."-Jose F

Ban the "Pledging Allegiance" to the flag chant in schools, by that argument, and the "In God We Trust" on the buck.

john w

Hall of Fame
To me "God" is the tao. I do trust the tao. To you "God" is something else. You trust that God.

But this picture of Jesus is not nearly as all encompassing, is it.

I will slow it down for you. Follow the bouncing ball, Mitch-his argument:

"It's an unconstitutional government endorsement of a religion."

I know that's quite deep....Take a deep breath....

shagster01

I will slow it down for you. Follow the bouncing ball, Mitch-his argument:

"It's an unconstitutional government endorsement of a religion."

I know that's quite deep....Take a deep breath....

I will slow it down for you....

"God" is a term used to describe many things. I can say, "under God," and not be endorsing your religion, or any religion.

The same is not true for "Jesus." Jesus is a Christian figure. It would most certainly be unconstitutional to put "in Jesus we trust" on money.

Get it yet?

quip

BANNED
Banned
Yeah, that would be my guess too.

Aren't schools a place where kids are supposed to learn about historical figures? :idunno:

Sure, but claims regarding "Son of God" and resurrection goes a touch beyond HIST 101.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
we need a show like morten downey
Code:
jr again -

it was a great show actually. volatile -

i'm watching the cnn movie tonight - Evocateur

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The image does not offend me ... nor would it offend my children. However, it does leave the door open to allow endorsement of *all* religions and/or beliefs in public schools.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This nation is going to hell in a hand-basket and not much surprises me anymore.
I wonder if the stupid liberals ever wondered why our founding fathers never made prayer, bibles, or pics of Jesus illegal in schools, or any public place.
You know, the ones that wrote the Constitution!!!!

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
As much as one may contradict, by pointing to their personal beliefs, this was a country found on Christian principles.

The same is true of England and English common law. What made us different, was we did not want to abide all to subscribe to another state church, as with England and the Anglican church. We have freedom to choose our own practice of faith. Yet, given this, it was not assumed that no adherence to any Christian faith was the law of the land.

Secularists have been trying to superimpose this since the end of World War 2. and more-so since the turbulent 1960s.