A portrait of Jesus in a school? Seriously?

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What for? School children go to museums by the busloads and see 18th century paintings like these every day. Are we so mentally and emotionally retarded here on TOL that we can't handle seeing a painting (that reveals nothing of consequence) that school children see every day?

Or are you just hoping to stir up trouble because you're bored?

There are many other areas of art that you could have chosen. Now what do you think?

PureX

There are many other areas of art that you could have chosen. Now what do you think?
The whole point is to show you an alternative iconographic painting, representing an alternative ideal, and why these kinds of images don't belong in public schools.

They belong in museums, where we collect these kinds of iconographic painted images and show them together, for what they are. And where school kids can see them and learn about them via the proper art-historical context.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The whole point is to show you an alternative iconographic painting, representing an alternative ideal, and why these kinds of images don't belong in public schools.

They belong in museums, where we collect these kinds of iconographic painted images and show them together, for what they are.

I'm sure that was your motive. :chuckle:

john w

Hall of Fame
It's an unconstitutional government endorsement of a religion.

Like this?:

god-we-trust.jpg

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."-recited at kindergarten, grade schools

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
Like this?:

god-we-trust.jpg

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."-recited at kindergarten, grade schools
We should get rid of that as well. But at least it is not a specific reference to a particular deity.

john w

Hall of Fame
We should get rid of that as well. But at least it is not a specific reference to a particular deity.

Your "at least...." is quite irrelevant-that's not his argument:

"It's an unconstitutional government endorsement of a religion."-Jose Fly

And I addressed it.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Ya know.... I don't get this. I don't understand atheists getting upset over images of Jesus in a public building, nativity displays at a government building, etc.

When I was an atheist I didn't care about stuff like that.

I think you have to a total dork to get worked up over that kind of stuff.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
Your "at least...." is quite irrelevant-that's not his argument:

"It's an unconstitutional government endorsement of a religion."-Jose Fly

And I addressed it.

His argument is dead on, and not addressed by your post. There is no room in public education for that picture, unless it is a class in really tacky art.

Although Judge Ray Moore would probably like it in his court room.

Jose Fly

Ya know.... I don't get this. I don't understand atheists getting upset over images of Jesus in a public building, nativity displays at a government building, etc.

Does that go both ways? Are Christians who "get all worked up" over things like kids being taught what Islam is also "dorks"? Or Christians who get all worked up over non-Christian prayers at public meetings? Or Christians who get all worked up over non-Christian holiday displays?

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned

Sorry a "picture" of Jesus in a school is both dumb and inappropriate. Only good thing about it is that I dont live in Kansas so my tax dollars didn't go to purchasing that dreadful piece. The dreadful comment has nothing to do with the subject, just the "art" itself.

Jose Fly

So for the Christians here who support this, what do you think the intent of hanging the painting in a public school is?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame

Good point, an atheist should not care at all about anything religious, as what would it matter? It may if they are political lefties, which is not necessarily inclusive of all atheists.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Sorry a "picture" of Jesus in a school is both dumb and inappropriate. Only good thing about it is that I dont live in Kansas so my tax dollars didn't go to purchasing that dreadful piece. The dreadful comment has nothing to do with the subject, just the "art" itself.
So you are only offended because $16 tax dollars were spent on the image?