A portrait of Jesus in a school? Seriously?

genuineoriginal

So a state government could arrest a citizen and hold him indefinitely without charges or access to a lawyer?
How would doing that violate the First Amendment?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.​

fool

Hall of Fame
Since it was made illegal for anyone under 19 to purchase tobacco?

Where?

You sure you arent talking about a long time ago?

Well it was a long time ago that I was in High school.
What do you mean 19?
Blue is 18, purple is 19.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Well it was a long time ago that I was in High school.
What do you mean 19?
Blue is 18, purple is 19.

I assumed it was 19 for everyone.

At any rate, i doubt any high school is allowing smoking on campus now, and a long time ago, it wasnt illegal to do so.

You said schools allowing it when it was illegal.

Jose Fly

How would doing that violate the First Amendment?

You seem to be of the opinion that the US Constitution doesn't apply to states, and that a state can violate it as they please. Thus my question: Could a state government legally arrest a citizen and hold him indefinitely without charges or access to a lawyer?

fool

Hall of Fame
yes, they say they canceled because of threats, but everyone doesn't cave to threats.

The very law for Christmas being a national holiday, says specifically that its for the celebration of the birth of Christ.

You ready to give back any holiday pay and paid time off youve received for it?

They can just give me solstice pay instead.

Jose Fly

How lazy you are, ive already learned, if someone actually cares for information, they will look it up. If you want to know, you can look it up. :cheers:

I looked, didn't find a single example of a school prevailing in court in a case similar to the OP.

How about some details to help the search? About when? What school district? What was the religious issue?

fool

Hall of Fame
I assumed it was 19 for everyone.

At any rate, i doubt any high school is allowing smoking on campus now, and a long time ago, it wasnt illegal to do so.

You said schools allowing it when it was illegal.

You've always had to be 18 to smoke in recent history but we were allowed to smoke in high school because they figured it was safer to have us in one spot doing it than hiding all over the place doing it.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I looked, didn't find a single example of a school prevailing in court in a case similar to the OP.

How about some details to help the search? About when? What school district? What was the religious issue?

Now you are adding a qualifier that wasnt there, the group in the OP threatening the school, didnt prevail in court either, and my entire point was that just because a lawyer says you will lose, doesn't mean you will and it doest mean they are right.

The school in your example caved, there are examples where people didnt cave and they didnt get sued either after being threatened.

Loads are empty threats, they hope people will cave. They hope people do not fight for their rights.

fool

Hall of Fame
Now you are adding a qualifier that wasnt there, the group in the OP threatening the school, didnt prevail in court either, and my entire point was that just because a lawyer says you will lose, doesn't mean you will and it doest mean they are right.

The school in your example caved, there are examples where people didnt cave and they didnt get sued either after being threatened.

Loads are empty threats, they hope people will cave. They hope people do not fight for their rights.

So you don't have a problem with a picture of Buddha going up next to JC?

genuineoriginal

You seem to be of the opinion that the US Constitution doesn't apply to states, and that a state can violate it as they please.
You seem to be of the opinion that the public schools run by the States are the Federal Congress and can pass Federal Law.
You also seem to think that hanging a picture is passing Federal Law.

Thus my question: Could a state government legally arrest a citizen and hold him indefinitely without charges or access to a lawyer?
Can you provide the text of the Constitution that deals with that?

Jose Fly

Now you are adding a qualifier that wasnt there, the group in the OP threatening the school, didnt prevail in court either

But there are court cases similar to this one where schools have lost. That's why the legal staffs in both the Ohio and Kansas districts advised their clients to take the paintings down.

and my entire point was that just because a lawyer says you will lose, doesn't mean you will and it doest mean they are right.

Doesn't mean they're wrong either.

Well that's not a surprise, since in some cases it's hard to find anyone with standing and/or is willing to subject themselves to the public abuse that comes with being a plaintiff in these suits.

Except for when they win in court. So can I take it then that you don't know of any case where a school has prevailed in court in a case similar to the OP?

Jose Fly

You seem to be of the opinion that the public schools run by the States are the Federal Congress and can pass Federal Law.
You also seem to think that hanging a picture is passing Federal Law.

Nope.

Can you provide the text of the Constitution that deals with that?

First address the bigger point. Are you arguing that state and local governments can violate the US Constitution as they please?

genuineoriginal

Sure you do, you are the one claiming that the school putting up a picture is a violation of the First Amendment, even though the First Amendment is specifically dealing with restrictions to the laws that the Federal Congress can make.

First address the bigger point. Are you arguing that state and local governments can violate the US Constitution as they please?
Put up the text of the Constitution addressing your point so we can discuss this like men.

I insist on this since the text proves my point.

Jose Fly

And there are court cases similar to this one where schools have won.

No there's not. If you say they exist, then post them.

Judge: cheerleaders can keep Bible verses on banners

That's a completely different legal issue. There, the issue was student-initiated speech. The legal issue here is over government-initiated speech.

You do understand the difference, right?

Jose Fly

Sure you do, you are the one claiming that the school putting up a picture is a violation of the First Amendment, even though the First Amendment is specifically dealing with restrictions to the laws that the Federal Congress can make.

That's not how the courts have interpreted it.

Put up the text of the Constitution addressing your point so we can discuss this like men.

I insist on this since the text proves my point.

You keep dodging the question. Are you arguing that state and local governments can violate the US Constitution as they please?

It's a simple yes/no question.

genuineoriginal

The legal issue here is over government-initiated speech.

You do understand the difference, right?

Nothing in the First Amendment prohibits the government from free speech.
In fact, the First Amendment protects the State government's right to freedom of speech.