58 Dead, 500 Plus Wounded

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Germany first took away the guns, then they took away the Jews.
Actually that's a popular misconception. In 1938 the Nazis deregulated gun purchases. At that point if you had a hunting license you could buy and sell guns. So for most groups and people gun ownership rights were essentially expanded.

And the only group that had guns confiscated were the Jews directly, though because records were unclear many of them had guns squirreled away as well.

The real reason the Nazi's triumphed was agreement and popular support for their ascension.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
"Leveling off."

:rotfl:

Watch out, he'll start talking about kilometer-high vertical cliffs again soon.

Violent-Crime-Rate-Chart1.png

"Leveling off."

:darwinsm:

:mock: Blablabarian

And let's not miss the fact that he seems to think "violent crime" is limited to murder.

Sent from my SM-A520F using TOL mobile app

CherubRam

Actually that's a popular misconception. In 1938 the Nazis deregulated gun purchases. At that point if you had a hunting license you could buy and sell guns. So for most groups and people gun ownership rights were essentially expanded.

And the only group that had guns confiscated were the Jews directly, though because records were unclear many of them had guns squirreled away as well.

The real reason the Nazi's triumphed was agreement and popular support for their ascension.

Thank you for your post.

CherubRam

[FONT=&quot] Honduras: Population 8.2 Million. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bans citizens from owning guns.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Highest homicide rate in the world.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Switzerland: Population 8.2 Million.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Requires citizens to own guns.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lowest homicide rate in the world.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Switzerland
Switzerland is known for its low crime rate. Total offenses registered in 2014 numbered 526,066, with about half of those being committed by foreigners.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Honduras: Population 8.2 Million.
Bans citizens from owning guns.
Highest homicide rate in the world.

Honduras hasn't banned gun ownership.
In 2014 Guns & Ammo rated it as one of the top ten gun ownership nations. You can own up to five firearms as a citizen there.
It banned open and concealed carry.
It's also a country with serious poverty issues and a lot of drug war related crime.

Switzerland: Population 8.2 Million.
Requires citizens to own guns.
Lowest homicide rate in the world.
Requires strict regulation and training.
Is a remarkably affluent culture where watch and chocolate wars rarely escalate into violence.

In Switzerland: "The law allows citizens or legal residents over the age of 18, who have obtained a permit from the government and who have no criminal record or history of mental illness, to buy up to three weapons from an authorized dealer, with the exception of automatic firearms and selective fire weapons, which are banned. Semiautomatics, which have caused havoc in the U.S., can be legally purchased"

Not exactly the dream state of unrestricted ownership. Heck, the day the NRA argues for a Switzerland approach to gun ownership I'll buy a membership card.

Switzerland
Switzerland is known for its low crime rate. Total offenses registered in 2014 numbered 526,066, with about half of those being committed by foreigners.
It's amazing how peaceful a country can be when you remove poverty as a serious issue. It imports most of its problems.

Meanwhile the U.S. homicide rate is more than twenty five times higher on average than other high income countries, as of last year (and not factoring in our latest casualties).

After the tragic mass killing in Port Arthur, Australia instituted some of the more stringent gun laws around, went on a gun buy back program that collected and destroyed 600k guns. In the 18 years before the new laws there had been 13 mass shootings there. In the 21 years since, none. Did it stop every attempt? No. Did it dramatically impact the problem and make it less likely? Hard to argue against it.

In Japan, a nation with some of the most strict gun laws on the books your chance of dying in gun related violence is roughly 1 in 10 million, or the same likelihood that an American will die from being struck by lightning.

Your chance of being shot to death here? About 30 in 1 million. Which chance looks better to you?

Gun homicides per million people among some Western industrial nations:

Australia: 1.4
New Zealand: 1.6
Germany: 1.9
Austria: 2.2
Denmark: 2.7
France: 2.8
Netherlands: 3.3
Sweden: 4.1
Finland: 4.5
Ireland: 4.8
Canada: 5.1
Luxemborg: 6.2
Belgium: 6.8
Switzerland: 7.7
U.S.: 29.7

We have about 4.4% of the world's population and we own about half of the world's guns. We also have some of the most liberal gun ownership laws in the world.

How safe has that made us?

Some source material: NY Times Comparison of gun related deaths, 2016 link
Guns & Ammo, 2014 link
USA Today, comparison (3 days ago) link

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You mean like leftists who instantly ring the bell for contributions as they start screaming afresh for massive gun confiscation?
No, like someone making a buck by contributing to the means of it, trading on human misery for their own profit.

Meanwhile, reasonable people are talking about reasonable restrictions to impact the problem. And by reasonable people I mean those outside of Congress, of course.

Like, never letting a tragedy go to waste?
So you'd be against the illustrations of a slave ship that shocked the conscience of many? Or the use of abortion related graphics to do the same?

That what you mean, hypocrite?
You see what you got monumentally wrong there, sparky?

Now sound even less considered and more paranoid.
Leftists are not interested in actually ending gun crime... if they did they would lose one of their biggest platforms to raise funds and run on. Their sole goal is to eliminate gun ownership (except for themselves and their security staff of course).
Dang. You hit that one in the crazy sweet spot. :thumb:

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
So anyone should be able to own tanks, B-52 bombers (with ammo), bunker buster bombs, ICBMs, tomahawk missles, etc?
A couple of questions for you.

First, what was going on at the time the Bill of Rights was written that made the writers feel they need to guarantee the right of the citizen to be armed? What were they afraid of? What did they want to prevent?

Second, should the need arise to use the second amendment as intended, what would you want/need to be armed with?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
A couple of questions for you.

First, what was going on at the time the Bill of Rights was written that made the writers feel they need to guarantee the right of the citizen to be armed? What were they afraid of? What did they want to prevent?

Second, should the need arise to use the second amendment as intended, what would you want/need to be armed with?
I want this one, though I mostly answered it earlier. In their day the right to possess a firearm meant a ready hand in a civilian army and no one was going to kill dozens of people in a few minutes with a flintlock. Some have taken Jefferson's tree of liberty notion and tried to cobble a paranoia in the founders that the second was meant to abate. That's just not what was happening or why.

You needed a gun to provide food and livelihood for many. And you needed a citizenry who could help you fight off invasion. That was by and large the real motivation for recognizing and protecting the ownership of firearms. A nation without a standing army needed the next best thing and a people who routinely used those same guns to sustain their lives and safety needed an established right that likely did, as a secondary effect, produce a healthy respect in the legislature, an understanding that the same army could not be imposed upon against its collective will.

Most of the salient facts have changed. We have an incredible military now. Most people no longer hunt for livelihood or sustenance and no one needs to do so. Guns are now about safety and right. The NRA opposes things like mandatory safety classes and registration, along with making it harder for the mentally ill to purchase weapons. :plain: Lastly, among those who shared Jefferson's concern, if our state ever turned into the thing he feared at best we could transform ourselves into Lebanon part II.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
I want this one, though I mostly answered it earlier. In their day the right to possess a firearm meant a ready hand in a civilian army and no one was going to kill dozens of people in a few minutes with a flintlock. Some have taken Jefferson's tree of liberty notion and tried to cobble a paranoia in the founders that the second was meant to abate. That's just not what was happening or why.

You needed a gun to provide food and livelihood for many. And you needed a citizenry who could help you fight off invasion. That was by and large the real motivation for recognizing and protecting the ownership of firearms. A nation without a standing army needed the next best thing and a people who routinely used those same guns to sustain their lives and safety needed an established right that likely did, as a secondary effect, produce a healthy respect in the legislature, an understanding that the same army could not be imposed upon against its collective will.

Most of the salient facts have changed. We have an incredible military now. Most people no longer hunt for livelihood or sustenance and no one needs to do so. Guns are now about safety and right. The NRA opposes things like mandatory safety classes and registration, along with making it harder for the mentally ill to purchase weapons. :plain: Lastly, among those who shared Jefferson's concern, if our state ever turned into the thing he feared at best we could transform ourselves into Lebanon part II.

Societies have changed greatly in the 200+ years. But people have not. There are plenty of examples in modern history of what happens when a government has no fear of their citizens. I do favor more mental health evaluations for owners though that is far from perfect because the Sandy Hook shooter didn't own any guns and would not have been screened out. I favor more training and if somebody is going to conceal or even open carry, then they need to qualify monthly to carry that weapon in public. I think there are prudent measures that could be enacted.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Oh are we just discussing the law? I thought we were talking about what could or should be and why. If we're talking law we can just print code sections. :plain:
Here I am thinking that changing laws is something that could or should be done and why. I hate to think we're just talking past each other. :plain:
If everyone had cancer would you want it?
Everybody's got an opinion. And yours is just the same as everybody else's since you're not talking about the authoritative opinions rendered by the SCOTUS on the Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America, was my point; obviously a little too subtly implied by moi.
Well, at least up until that point if I trotted out any reasoning at all I'd have lapped you and the profundity of your "Disagree" so we can probably keep those to ourselves.
Disagreed.
Rather, it was one sentence in what I thought might be an evolving conversation.
Your argument is that the founders, who had already seen how advancement in weaponry had progressed over the centuries leading up to the creation of the United States, thought to themselves, "Well we're as advanced as we'll ever be." That's disappointing, for you to take such a naive and facile view of things, and of them. 'Fact is, the SCOTUS clarified for us all precisely what was meant by "arms" in "the right to keep and bear arms." It meant, what individual warriors carry during warfare. Today, that's select fire rifles at minimum, and heavy-barreled carry-able machine guns at most. Whether it applies also the RPG or other rocket-based weapons, the court has not mentioned to my knowledge, but not even the NRA is talking about those.

Not that they're talking about machine guns either ..
Anticipating at some point you'd graduate beyond the one word response for the most part.
You show very poor judgment.
The founders had reasons for the right. Many people ate the food their guns were instrumental in providing. We didn't have a permanent standing army. And I noted the relative problems that largely didn't allow for the sort of thing we saw in Vegas to be in their minds. I suspect they'd have had a different position today.
The SCOTUS disagrees with you, and that settles it. If you want to argue for repeal of the Second Amendment, then have at it, but that's a different conversation.
In any event, we can still have it.

As a sum it would be, as an illustration it isn't.
You underestimate their intelligence, imagination, optimism and creativity, as I mentioned above. How tough, do you think, would it be, for any one of them to think, "You know, it takes a long time to reload. Maybe somebody some day will figger out how to do it quicker?"

Anyway this is all beside the point that I also mentioned, that the SCOTUS has already divined what was meant by "arms." Whatever individual warriors carry during warfare, is what we have the right to own and to carry ourselves, as private, non-LEO civilians. If you disagree with that, then you need to switch sides and argue for repeal of the Second Amendment. It's not exactly an unpopular position to hold in this world, so I don't know why you insist on the charade.
Within the law, absolutely. Unless you buy one of those legal means to make and then possess one illegally. But you appear to think that's fine. God alone knows why.
I don't encourage such behavior, but I do think it's illegal to so restrict or "infringe" upon a human right, to own and to carry machine guns.

And again, take it up with the SCOTUS, or argue for repeal of the Second Amendment.
If a government and the people ever reach a point where guns are to be banned registration or its absence won't be a difference maker.
Disagreed. Registration will make confiscation easier by an order of magnitude anyway. Even if it's only half as difficult as without any registration, that ain't hay.
Ammunition will be. And to go against a real good by means of a paranoid potential that really won't matter seems capricious as reasoning goes.
To you, and to all other leftists.
As a safety issue why not? Do you know how many accidental shootings occur every year?
And do you know how many are from mouse guns, because of their size, and their toy-like appearance?
It might be the next best thing, but unless a student had to pass it to possess a firearm it would still lack teeth.
I'm thinking more like, you have to pass it to graduate. Then you're just an American with a high school education.
Well, no.
Well yes.
Name the last time anyone in a position to defend their life from some attacker needed a thirty round clip to do it.
I'll scour the web for the story.
That's just not how most shootings, especially robbery related shootings happen.
Not most, sure, agreed. But some. And besides, limiting magazine capacity violates the RKBA, "arms" as defined authoritatively by the SCOTUS. I have no problem with limiting those silly 100-round handgun magazines, since no military uses them and so they're clearly not protected by the Second Amendment.
A person trained in the use of a weapon can manage it with fewer rounds than you'd find in a six shooter.
Yeah, no military thinks that way. The more rounds in the gun, and the more rounds the individual warrior can carry, the better, unqualifiedly.
In most cases the brandishing of a weapon will be the difference maker.
In some cases. You made that up.
No right is without abridgement or balance among others. Especially where a compelling societal interest may overwhelm the unrestricted right.
Yes, you cannot yell fire in a crowded theater. But that's illegal because of its harm. When leftists talk about "reasonable restrictions (AKA infringements)," they're always ignoring the fact that shooting someone is and always has been against the law. Yelling fire in a crowded theater is like shooting someone with a gun. It's not like possessing a belt-fed machine gun and doing nothing with it. That's not a crime, it does no harm.
We have more guns than any other country.
And proudly so.
How safe are we comparably to countries with strict controls? Not very.
How safe were those thousands of people in LVNV who didn't have a rifle, when the bad guy did? Not very.
If you're going to talk about mouseguns you're legless in complaint.
Of the many thousands of gun related fatalities where mouse guns are implicated, how many lives would be saved if we didn't allow their possession? Meanwhile, this demon possessed man in LVNV probably caused half of the rifle-related gun fatalities that will occur this year, but that's only an off the cuff guess on my part. I'm sure somebody can find the FBI's actual statistics breaking down which types of guns causes the most deaths each year. And it ain't rifles.
Yeah, that's the better alternative, a bunch of people who haven't been checked out on safety, or a rifle range, firing up at a hotel presumably filled with other people than the shooter. :plain:
Meanwhile you have no option that would have stopped what happened in LVNV save for repeal of the Second Amendment, so who's pollyanna here.
Can't be done and shouldn't for any number of reasons
'Glad you picked up on my hyperbole.
, while making ourselves appreciably safer from this sort of incident can be done without destroying cities or the right to bear arms.
You've yet to name a single thing that would have prevented it.
No, Congress is bought and paid for by the gun lobby.
Congress is elected by Americans who believe in the RKBA as authoritatively defined by the SCOTUS.
When most Americans favored limiting clips after a spate of school shootings Congress followed their masters on the point.
Being good stewards, protecting us from ourselves, and following the Constitution, is how it looks to me.
Rather, your willful naivety in the service of an unreasonable position plays the false note.
I'm not naive. I receive the world for what it is. I invite you to join me.
Here's a link to a recent LA Times article containing a summation of the influence and links to support the contention.

From the article about the powers in Congress presently:The gun rights organization spent a stupendous $54.4 million in the 2016 election cycle, almost all of it in “independent expenditures,” meaning spending for or against a candidate but not a direct contribution to a campaign. The money went almost entirely to Republicans to a degree that almost looks like a misprint (but isn’t): Of independent expenditures totaling $52.6 million, Democrats received $265.
Because virtually zero Democrats believe in the RKBA, as authoritatively defined by the SCOTUS. I'm glad it's not a misprint, because maybe some so-called liberals (liberal as in, liberty) will reexamine their views, and bring them more into line with the first civil right, the right to keep (own) and bear (carry) arms (military-style weapons carried by individual warriors during warfare).

The NRA endowed the 54 senators who voted in 2015 against a measure prohibiting people on the government’s terrorist watch list from buying guns...
Because the government's terrorist watch list violates due process. You're the attorney here. Think.
And the madness continues.
Then let's cut it out.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Societies have changed greatly in the 200+ years. But people have not.
Well, we don't own people and keep women from voting so there's room for argument, but accepting the broadest of it, that's an argument for keeping people laws the same. Instruments, however, change a great deal, as does their capacity in relation to all sorts of things, so we don't have horse and buggy laws for modern interstates, by way of.

There are plenty of examples in modern history of what happens when a government has no fear of their citizens.
I think part of the problem with that is that history is largely ignorant of our sort of experiment. We are the government. We shouldn't fear ourselves unless we're doing a psychotic or irresponsible job of governing ourselves. And we built in a peaceful revolution. Appeals to the justification of paranoia within varying but essentially despotic alternatives is mostly good for generating fear and justification, but not much argument that applies.

I do favor more mental health evaluations for owners though that is far from perfect because the Sandy Hook shooter didn't own any guns and would not have been screened out.
True. Though gun registration would have indicated our Vegas guy kept an inordinate amount of firearms for someone not involved in professional security, could have then flipped a red flag and made him subject to scrutiny. Would that have brought about any change in outcome? Hard to say, but I like the odds better. Similarly, training in safe gun use should reduce unintended fatalities and injuries. There are all sorts of good ideas that don't deny us the right to possess firearms, if not every sort and variance.

I favor more training and if somebody is going to conceal or even open carry, then they need to qualify monthly to carry that weapon in public. I think there are prudent measures that could be enacted.
It's a start.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Let's all remember something.

No matter what side of this issue you're on, there's nobody saying that what this demoniac did was anything other than clear evil. We are all in 100% agreement on that what he did is gravely wicked and wrong. Nobody is defending what was done.

From there, we diverge.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Here I am thinking that changing laws is something that could or should be done and why.
I didn't really get that from your singular answers in the form of "Disagree." I thought you might have had your account hacked by the PR department of the NRA.

I hate to think we're just talking past each other.
You weren't really saying a lot before.

Everybody's got an opinion.
Sure.

And yours is just the same as everybody else's
In that I have one. The rest is argument.

Disagreed.
Then you're just being funny. Saying "disagreed" repeatedly isn't reasoning, it's declaring. I'd given reasons for my position. You were sounding like Stripe with a thesaurus.

Your argument is that the founders, who had already seen how advancement in weaponry had progressed over the centuries leading up to the creation of the United States, thought to themselves, "Well we're as advanced as we'll ever be."
No, that's not my argument, that's your cartoon. When the founders made the laws they made them for their time and framed them in their reference. At the time they lacked a standing army and people used those same guns to provide food and livelihood. They also provided the mechanism by which we could amend and reframe things. I'll come back to that the next time you make this sort of objection, a bit later.

'Fact is, the SCOTUS clarified for us all precisely what was meant by "arms" in "the right to keep and bear arms." It meant, what individual warriors carry during warfare.
I understand the holding in Miller. I also understand that our 1st Amendment rights aren't quite as free as their statement makes them, are subject to state considerations and limitation in execution. It's harder with the 2nd because of the militia clause, which has only really been made pointless in relatively modern times as the nation formed and kept a substantial armed forces.

Today, that's select fire rifles at minimum, and heavy-barreled carry-able machine guns at most. Whether it applies also the RPG or other rocket-based weapons, the court has not mentioned to my knowledge, but not even the NRA is talking about those.
RPGs in the hands of people who have no intention of forming a militia to come to the aid of anyone. Is that how far we are down that road?

Here's a quote from a more recent Court opinion, DC v Heller...

The Court’s opinion should not be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms. Miller’s holding that the sorts of weapons protected are those “in common use at the time” finds support in the historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of dangerous and unusual weapons.​

Or, things can and do change and where there is a sufficiently compelling state interest that can happen short of Amendment. Though it's thornier, to be sure.

You show very poor judgment.
You're an excellent speller.

If you want to argue for repeal of the Second Amendment, then have at it, but that's a different conversation.
I'm still just having the one conversation about what we should do to reduce consequences adverse to a civil and stable compact.

How tough, do you think, would it be, for any one of them to think, "You know, it takes a long time to reload. Maybe somebody some day will figger out how to do it quicker?"
DaVinci saw a variant of the machine gun coming. But again, I think they wrote the law within the context of their time. Or do you believe they couldn't see the end of slavery coming? You think Jefferson couldn't have envisioned a world where intelligent, educated women voted? That sort of thing.

Disagreed. Registration will make confiscation easier by an order of magnitude anyway
Didn't really help the Nazis as much as you'd think. Too many guns squirreled away, but again, in balancing a real need for public safety against a paranoid fantasy I'll take the more reasonable course. If we get to the point where armed rebellion is the answer it's all over but the shouting anyway.

Even if it's only half as difficult as without any registration, that ain't hay.
To you, and to all other leftists.
Yeah, I'm not that either. If you ever take up mentalism as a profession...don't.

I asked when the last time was someone needed thirty rounds to defend themselves.
I'll scour the web for the story.
If it's that exceptional you make my point without scouring. Again, that's just not how self defense unfolds. Prolonged gunfights aren't anything remotely attached to the rule.

In some cases. You made that up.
No, that's something the NRA made up. The notion that bad guys knowing the good guys are armed makes us safer. But I'll take you opposing the NRA on any point as a win.

Yes, you cannot yell fire in a crowded theater.
Right. Once you recognize that rights are subject to abridgement in balance you have the playing field for reason and real public interest entering into the discourse and distinctions.

How safe were those thousands of people in LVNV who didn't have a rifle, when the bad guy did? Not very.
They were as safe as the ones who did, because none of them stopped the shooter. But in those countries, like Australia, the likelihood of that shooter happening is dramatically diminished and the facts bear that out.

Meanwhile, this demon possessed man in LVNV probably caused half of the rifle-related gun fatalities that will occur this year
Working on 14,000 people died by firearms in 2015, so you're probably being optimistic. I know, you're focusing on rifles, but you don't want to limit or restrict any of them so it's mostly a distraction. :think: I wonder how many people were killed by rifles. I know that the overwhelming majority of deaths are handgun related. The last time I saw a stat it was around 80% by handgun.

Meanwhile you have no option that would have stopped what happened in LVNV save for repeal of the Second Amendment, so who's pollyanna here.
It's easy to win an argument with yourself, but I'm thinking that as with Australia, if we'd been making intelligent restrictions for a while what happened in Vegas would have been far less likely and less likely to happen again here. Prevent? I think that's as close as we can come to prevention.

Now if I said seatbelts wouldn't necessarily save you but would dramatically increase the likelihood that you'd live through a wreck, do you want seat belts in your car or not?

You've yet to name a single thing that would have prevented it.
Again, making a thing appreciably less likely to happen will have to do. It's worked wonders in a few countries. Doing nothing isn't working out very well for us.

Let's cut it out.
That's the problem. Only one of us is willing to try. The other guy (by which I mean you) is considering whether or not people should be allowed to carry RPGs to the grocery. :plain:

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
[FONT="] Honduras: Population 8.2 Million.
Bans citizens from owning guns.
Highest homicide rate in the world.

Switzerland: Population 8.2 Million.
Requires citizens to own guns.
Lowest homicide rate in the world.

Switzerland

AAsWUfs.img

No need to go as far afield as Honduras and Switzerland - compare Detroit Michigan within eyesight of its Canadian counterpart on the other side of the Detroit River, Windsor Ontario!

Detroit averages 1 homicide daily while Windsor, less than a mile away, went 27 months without a homicide!

Detroit has the 2nd Amendment which allows private ownership of pistols and assault rifles - Windsor (Canada) allows private ownership of hunting rifles and shotguns, but not handguns and semi-automatic weapons!

Handguns and semi-automatic weapons are the firearms of choice associated with most homicides, and are specifically designed to hunt people not animals!

Last edited:

fool

Hall of Fame
See, cartoons like that are why we can never have this conversation. The bone jarring ignorance makes one wonder; why bother?
Tell us Jgarden, what's a "high caliber assault rifle"?
Is a .223 a "higher caliber" than a 5.56?

No need to go as far afield as Honduras and Switzerland - compare Detroit Michigan within eyesight of its counterpart on the other side of the Detroit River, Windsor Ontario (Canada!

Detroit averages I homicide daily while Windsor, less than a mile away, went 27 months without a homicide!
No need to go across the river, the City of Livonia is adjacent to Detroit and only had zero murders for a population of 94,000, about half the size of Windsor.
If you want to make a Windsor size sample ad Dearborn and their one murder for 95,000 people.
Two cities that border Detroit and have the second amendment.
Detroit has the 2nd Amendment which allows private ownership of pistols and assault rifles - Windsor (Canada) allows private ownership of hunting rifles and shotguns, but not handguns and semi-automatic weapons!
And Livonia and Dearborn have the second amendment.

Handguns and semi-automatic weapons are the firearms of choice associated with most homicides, and are specifically designed to hunt people not animals!
And to defend yourself with.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
See, cartoons like that are why we can never have this conversation. The bone jarring ignorance makes one wonder; why bother?
Tell us Jgarden, what's a "high caliber assault rifle"?
Is a .223 a "higher caliber" than a 5.56?

Not much NATO guy. If he had a full automatic 308, or the NATO in that calibre, then far more would have died.

Bump stock cocks the gun, but does not let it fire as fast as gas powered ejection.

CherubRam

Honduras hasn't banned gun ownership.
In 2014 Guns & Ammo rated it as one of the top ten gun ownership nations. You can own up to five firearms as a citizen there.
It banned open and concealed carry.
It's also a country with serious poverty issues and a lot of drug war related crime.
[/FONT]

Requires strict regulation and training.
Is a remarkably affluent culture where watch and chocolate wars rarely escalate into violence.

In Switzerland: "The law allows citizens or legal residents over the age of 18, who have obtained a permit from the government and who have no criminal record or history of mental illness, to buy up to three weapons from an authorized dealer, with the exception of automatic firearms and selective fire weapons, which are banned. Semiautomatics, which have caused havoc in the U.S., can be legally purchased"

Not exactly the dream state of unrestricted ownership. Heck, the day the NRA argues for a Switzerland approach to gun ownership I'll buy a membership card.

It's amazing how peaceful a country can be when you remove poverty as a serious issue. It imports most of its problems.

Meanwhile the U.S. homicide rate is more than twenty five times higher on average than other high income countries, as of last year (and not factoring in our latest casualties).

After the tragic mass killing in Port Arthur, Australia instituted some of the more stringent gun laws around, went on a gun buy back program that collected and destroyed 600k guns. In the 18 years before the new laws there had been 13 mass shootings there. In the 21 years since, none. Did it stop every attempt? No. Did it dramatically impact the problem and make it less likely? Hard to argue against it.

In Japan, a nation with some of the most strict gun laws on the books your chance of dying in gun related violence is roughly 1 in 10 million, or the same likelihood that an American will die from being struck by lightning.

Your chance of being shot to death here? About 30 in 1 million. Which chance looks better to you?

Gun homicides per million people among some Western industrial nations:

Australia: 1.4
New Zealand: 1.6
Germany: 1.9
Austria: 2.2
Denmark: 2.7
France: 2.8
Netherlands: 3.3
Sweden: 4.1
Finland: 4.5
Ireland: 4.8
Canada: 5.1
Luxemborg: 6.2
Belgium: 6.8
Switzerland: 7.7
U.S.: 29.7

We have about 4.4% of the world's population and we own about half of the world's guns. We also have some of the most liberal gun ownership laws in the world.

How safe has that made us?

Some source material: NY Times Comparison of gun related deaths, 2016 link
Guns & Ammo, 2014 link
USA Today, comparison (3 days ago) link

Up until 1985, there was no official regulation of gun ownership and possession by private citizens although Title III, Chapter IV, Article 94 of the Honduran Constitution of 1965, replaced in 1982, stated No one may possess or carry weapons without the permission of the competent authority. The law shall regulate this provision.

CherubRam

Not much NATO guy. If he had a full automatic 308, or the NATO in that calibre, then far more would have died.

Bump stock cocks the gun, but does not let it fire as fast as gas powered ejection.

I'm surprised you know that much about guns.